Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Found about a jillion small red backs last weekend :3:

:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Eee!

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Noice.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
he's fallen right into your trap, now don't miss

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I caught Monsieur Poubelle in the act:

Measures were taken to preserve our bird seed and suet but the discouragement cone just provided a convenient perch:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

bird s!

Barred Owl
Great Blue Heron
Purple Gallinule
Green Heron
Anhinga
Vultures hanging out

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mods pls rename this thread critterquest 2019

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

oh heck dude those are some good birds

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

El Burbo posted:

awesome bird pics

You must be on the southern east coast. :) Those are some great shots.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Jikes posted:

You must be on the southern east coast. :) Those are some great shots.

Yeah, south florida

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
The green herons behind my house are nesting. c: Also in south Florida.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I love green herons. Such serious looking fellows.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Beautiful shots! Also in south Florida and we've had limpkins in our backyard making a ton of noise. Wish I could ever get a clear view of them to get a few pics.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

I love green herons. Such serious looking fellows.

This may have debuted in Critterquest previously, but I think it's worth reviving while waiting for spring critters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyVVJ7migZ4

:stare:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i got my mockingbird friend to mimick my whistle and the next day he had a girlfriend, which i think makes me his wingman

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Alpenglow posted:

This may have debuted in Critterquest previously, but I think it's worth reviving while waiting for spring critters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyVVJ7migZ4

:stare:

Just incredible barfmanship!

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Spring has finally arrived in Northern Europe. Just got home from a trip to northern Germany and loads of critters have awoken from their winter sleep.

Like this salamander (Lissotriton vulgaris).

Wolf spider (Pardosa lugubris species complex).

The Rostock botanical garden was buzzing with bees, bumblebees and the occasional butterfly (peacocks).

A ground beetle from the Harpalus genus. Probably H. latus.

Do anyone of you know which larva and nymph these are below:

This nymph I found flailing about on the water surface in an alder moor.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 9, 2018

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Can we make baby great blue herons great again?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Skutter posted:

Can we make baby great blue herons great again?

Yes! Good fella there

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I don't know where else to share this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U05VXQRFhns

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Not only bees do this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nro1PXouuX8

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

DSC_5372.jpg by photon_catcher, on Flickr

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Those are some really pretty colors!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

my cat is norris posted:

Those are some really pretty colors!

They vary a bit, I've found some cherry red ones too but they're extremely common up here apparently.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Cool beetle in my PA backyard, chillin on some weedy grass. It's about as long as my pinky is wide, and very bulbous, almost semispherical.

I looked thru pics of "common PA beetles" and didn't see any good matches. What is??

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Looks like a false potato beetle I think.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

That's definitely it. Cool thanks! It was really pretty and from what I read just now, it shouldn't be a pest to my veggies :toot:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

alnilam posted:

Cool beetle in my PA backyard, chillin on some weedy grass. It's about as long as my pinky is wide, and very bulbous, almost semispherical.

I looked thru pics of "common PA beetles" and didn't see any good matches. What is??

False potato beetle I think: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_potato_beetle
Learn to refresh :sun:

As an aside I like how all the PA goons started posting at once.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 23, 2018

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

'TIS THE SEASON!

I want to get out to Raccoon Creek and look for herps now that the weather is nicer. Do you think anything is moving, this time of year?

Got buzzed by a few curious carpenter bees today. Really made me happy to see them out and about.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

my cat is norris posted:

'TIS THE SEASON!

I want to get out to Raccoon Creek and look for herps now that the weather is nicer. Do you think anything is moving, this time of year?

Got buzzed by a few curious carpenter bees today. Really made me happy to see them out and about.

Salamanders for sure. I found an armload of redbacks in Sewickley a few weekends ago and this time last year I found a handful of slimies too. I've only been to Raccoon Creek once but I imagine you'd have decent luck especially if any seasonal pools are accessible.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

the yeti posted:

Salamanders for sure. I found an armload of redbacks in Sewickley a few weekends ago and this time last year I found a handful of slimies too. I've only been to Raccoon Creek once but I imagine you'd have decent luck especially if any seasonal pools are accessible.

Fantastic! I'll make my plans for the weekend, then. It'll be raining all week, but Friday and Saturday should be tolerable.

Edit: Any suggestions for looking around Sewickley? I mean, I love Raccoon Creek and am happy to go out there to explore the creeks and streams, but Sewickley IS closer to home...

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 23, 2018

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

No photos because um, "gently caress (getting that close to) that noise," but to pile on the PA goon experiences, drat Spring Peepers are loud. The marshy spot in Frick Park has been a legitimate hearing damage hazard for the last few weeks.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Are you talking about like down near where 9 mile run hits commercial st?

Around this time last year I camped up at minister creek in ANF and the spring peepers were fuckin nuts

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I was pruning a Japanese maple when I came across two of these odd-looking things. Cocoons maybe? They look like that expanding foam insulation up close.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I was pruning a Japanese maple when I came across two of these odd-looking things. Cocoons maybe? They look like that expanding foam insulation up close.

Praying mantis eggs :3: hard to say if they've hatched already with the weird spring weather lots of places have had but put them in a sheltered spot in a bush or something just in case.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

my cat is norris posted:

Fantastic! I'll make my plans for the weekend, then. It'll be raining all week, but Friday and Saturday should be tolerable.

Edit: Any suggestions for looking around Sewickley? I mean, I love Raccoon Creek and am happy to go out there to explore the creeks and streams, but Sewickley IS closer to home...

Sewickley heights borough park is my usual place but I think there are some other public areas up there , if you wanna shoot me a pm I'll point out my spots

Alpenglow posted:

No photos because um, "gently caress (getting that close to) that noise," but to pile on the PA goon experiences, drat Spring Peepers are loud. The marshy spot in Frick Park has been a legitimate hearing damage hazard for the last few weeks.

I need to head back over there; Frick Park has a remarkable amount of wildlife for being right in the middle of things

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
A friend of mine found this cool night heron in central Lisbon:

As this is in Lisbon, it most certainly comes from the zoo, where they nest them in the open. Wild ones aren’t urban and exist further inland along the Tagus river valleys and also wetlands of the lower Mondego River in central Portugal.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 24, 2018

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Falukorv posted:

A friend of mine found this cool night heron in central Lisbon:

As this is in Lisbon, it most certainly comes from the zoo, where they nest them in the open. Wild ones aren’t urban and exist further inland along the Tagus river valleys and also wetlands of the lower Mondego River in central Portugal.

Heron score: not so great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

the yeti posted:

Praying mantis eggs :3: hard to say if they've hatched already with the weird spring weather lots of places have had but put them in a sheltered spot in a bush or something just in case.

:ohdear: I figured they might be some manner of pest and put them in a bag of brush I gotta dispose of soon. Guess I'll be digging them out in the morning!

e: I searched through the yard waste tonight in the rain and could only find one :cry: the trash men came by already and took the bags

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 26, 2018