Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mystic Mongol posted:

Gentle's just on the outskirts of society at this point.

This is why I'm still convinced he's going to be radicalized and recruited by the League of Villains.

e: I mean, he wants to prove he's better than the heroes who have gone through the system successfully. What route is there for him? There's no civilian/hero competitions, he doesn't get to stop villains and show he's better at protecting people, he isn't even allowed to use his quirk in public. It's basically smash the state or nothing.

Does Gentle even dislike the system? Like he doesn’t seem the type to hold grudges and he hasn’t really blamed anyone. Honestly I don’t think he even wants to be “better” than heroes either. He hasn’t shown that he cares about stopping villains or protecting people other than La Brava (and he doesn’t do that to prove a point). He’s also just too darn nice, I can’t really see him working with serial murderers like Dabi or Toga. Not to mention the VA is far too unrefined, Gentle would never be ok with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

amigolupus posted:

It's not quite the same thing, but Gentle trying to break into UA to get more Youtube views and how this will end up harming the school and affect heroes is really reminding me of the start of the Civil War comics.

Well good thing we already know who'll be on which side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-bvCuqrep8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f623A5vBWr4

Carlosologist posted:

I really want a short All Might prequel. I guess that's what the movie is gonna do for a bit but a whole volume dedicated to Shimura and All Might would be fun to read

also, I was thinking about the limits of One for All the other day. As Deku has used it, it sends energy to all parts of his body and it basically makes his muscles tougher. so, does this basically make him invincible to bullets and poo poo?

Hey, remember that time Deku saw the ghosts of all the previous OfA users? That was weird, think they'll ever do anything with that again?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Carlosologist posted:

also, I was thinking about the limits of One for All the other day. As Deku has used it, it sends energy to all parts of his body and it basically makes his muscles tougher. so, does this basically make him invincible to bullets and poo poo?

Tangential to this, when All Might uses OfA, he goes from being a scrawny prune to being a mountain of muscles, but no such thing happens for Deku. You also never saw the lightning effects on All Might.

Also, touching on Deku damaging the gloves in his very first fight with them: All Might did tell him that One for All doesn't play nice with support items.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Shadowlyger posted:

Tangential to this, when All Might uses OfA, he goes from being a scrawny prune to being a mountain of muscles, but no such thing happens for Deku. You also never saw the lightning effects on All Might.

Also, touching on Deku damaging the gloves in his very first fight with them: All Might did tell him that One for All doesn't play nice with support items.

Quirks have a lot of biological factors; likely, the expression of the same Quirk would differ by the user.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Shadowlyger posted:

That was only after his injury and wasting away. It was his normal form before that.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
otoh apparently Young Might had eyes so...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the lightning effect is just a visual indication for the reader that deku is using one for all. all might's bulking up accomplishes the same thing

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I would like to remind the reader of this post that Deku's All Might face was an actual thing.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kyte posted:

otoh apparently Young Might had eyes so...

I wonder if they turned dark because of his quirk or because of his injury?

I wonder if Deku's eyes will ever end up the same way.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Probably a combined thing of his quirk and age. When Deku watches the video of All Might's first appearance on the hero scene, his eyes are already darkened.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Terper posted:

I would like to remind the reader of this post that Deku's All Might face was an actual thing.

One For All 100% Face Cowling

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bobulus posted:

Even if he no longer has the super strength and speed, the manga has shown us he still has fighting experience and good reflexes. And he's already been trying to get his normal body into shape if for no other reason than to prolong his life and be able to mentor longer.

He's only mentoring Deku, and, again, he could do that over VOIP rather than endanger thousands of students.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Are we sure he doesn't teach classes anymore?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

all might definitely still works at ua

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rhonne posted:

Are we sure he doesn't teach classes anymore?

All the teachers have ever been shown to do is to announce the next upcoming school event. It ain't like their crime fighting expertise is worth a drat.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

They've shown assorted teachers just doing general, by the book teaching we just barely see it outside of end/start of class or the occasional extra comic.
I figure that includes All-Might, alongside him guesting in their hero exercises by (attempting to) give advice.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Who What Now posted:

All the teachers have ever been shown to do is to announce the next upcoming school event. It ain't like their crime fighting expertise is worth a drat.

They do have actual, normal schoolwork, it's just that nobody gives a poo poo about that so the story just glosses over it to get to the bits people actually care about.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

ChronoReverse posted:

That was only after his injury and wasting away. It was his normal form before that.

but it isn't his normal form now, it's something he has to put effort into and also cant really do because he doesn't have ofa anymore so being able to empower yourself that way seems to be a function of ofa and i do think it's likely for deku to discover something similar but legally distinct

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

UA is a bit weird like that, like why would you have legit superheroes teaching algebra and stuff? Have them come in for specific classes, keep regular teachers for all the other classes.

One thing I do like is that literal fetish superhero Midnight is a somewhat dull, entirely regular person as soon as she enters the staff room.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

This is adorable :allears: It's kind of funny that the Civil War comics presents registering your powers and/or your hero identity as a terrible thing (mostly by having the leaders of the group do awful poo poo), but MHA shows registration's not really a big deal, and has actually helped out.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

amigolupus posted:

This is adorable :allears: It's kind of funny that the Civil War comics presents registering your powers and/or your hero identity as a terrible thing (mostly by having the leaders of the group do awful poo poo), but MHA shows registration's not really a big deal, and has actually helped out.
I agree. Entirely unrelated, hey, thread, my friends, can we not speculate about why different national cultures might view and present things like that in different ways? We've already had one five-page derail this chapter.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

amigolupus posted:

Then again that's a society in which 80% of all humanity has superpowers, not one in which a select few individuals do.

PMush Perfect posted:

I agree. Entirely unrelated, hey, thread, my friends, can we not speculate about why different national cultures might view and present things like that in different ways? We've already had one five-page derail this chapter.

Ooh just one small derail, Vigilantes says that Quirks in America are still a huge problem because there's back and forth on defining quirks under the 2nd amendment I think. Or something like that.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

amigolupus posted:

well in Marvel there's not that many superhumans while in MHA everyone is. On top of that heroes in Marvel have secret identities. MHA they really don't with the closest being the Vigilantes group or Aizawa who hides for power logistics

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Onmi posted:

Then again that's a society in which 80% of all humanity has superpowers, not one in which a select few individuals do.

I was going to say the Mutants were the majority of the human race by that time, but then I remembered House of M happened and retconned all of that away. :argh:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

While I do not support the open use of Mr. "My arms are fifty AKs"s quirk, I will defend his right to do so to the death.

drat, MHA in the US would be wild and way more interesting.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

They don't need heroes in the US because open quirk permits are handed out like candy.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The VA's multiple attacks on UA would be brushed off because "there's just no way we could have prevented this".

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Rhonne posted:

The VA's multiple attacks on UA would be brushed off because "there's just no way we could have prevented this".

I mean, when they've got a goddamn teleporter...

Kild posted:

well in Marvel there's not that many superhumans while in MHA everyone is. On top of that heroes in Marvel have secret identities. MHA they really don't with the closest being the Vigilantes group or Aizawa who hides for power logistics

Yeah I've always kinda thought that MHA is basically X-Men several generations down the line, where now almost everyone is a mutant.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Was there no chapter this week? Mangastream's got nothing.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Was there no chapter this week? Mangastream's got nothing.

there was, golden week chapters are always a bit slow. One Piece has a korean raw out, for example, so we'll probably get our usual stuff by tomorrow

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

rannum posted:

there was, golden week chapters are always a bit slow. One Piece has a korean raw out, for example, so we'll probably get our usual stuff by tomorrow

Golden Week's next week, though.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

Supremezero posted:

Golden Week's next week, though.

Yeah, there’s a chapter this week then nothing next week

If you look at the scheduling of releases it makes sense.

e:

Hate-Senpai posted:

This might help?

The pre-golden week release counts as the golden week release or whatever I guess was what I was thinking.

Je suis fatigue fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 27, 2018

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Onmi posted:

Ooh just one small derail, Vigilantes says that Quirks in America are still a huge problem because there's back and forth on defining quirks under the 2nd amendment I think. Or something like that.

IIRC, they said that government licensing of heroes was actually introduced in a US state (I think it was Connecticut or Rhode Island) before any other jurisdiction, and that other US states adopted similar systems, but that regulations regarding Quirks are nevertheless more controversial in the US than in Japan.

I'm actually more interested in how poorer and less democratic countries handled the rise of Quirks. The first known person with a Quirk was in China, after all. I suspect it will never really be discussed because it's a bit of a :can: to bring up in a fairly lighthearted setting like MHA.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!
The chapter is out, it was nice.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

chapter out and you don't link it smdh

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/my-hero-academia/en/0/181/page/1

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/my-hero-academia/en/0/181/

Deku is good

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'm worried about La Brava.

Eri's smile rejuvenated me.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Deku did right by Eri, that's all I care about here

Gentle recognizing that he put La Brava down on the wrong path is a nice reflective note for the villain here. I wonder if Gentle will get a chance to rehabilitate himself and maybe start on the path to be a hero, or at least a neutral supporting character.

La Brava having her heard broken by the man who gave her faith in the world seems bad, I think whatever's next for her will be interesting

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
the splatoon dropout is 100% going evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I really like this manga