Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I always thought it was a fun rite of passage, walk the gauntlet then get dogpiled and the whole academy cheers you and picks you up on their shoulders. Great thrill, lots of laughs, and worth a couple welts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Besides gym drama gauntlets are the dumbest thing about bjj.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JaySB posted:

My gym doesn't have a gauntlet for blue belt and it's optional for purple and brown.

My gym here in Seoul did a gauntlet for the last promotion (all blue belts) and it was really dumb. I dislike the whole "lets swing a belt at you to show you how good you are at BJJ" thing. My gym in the US basically made you roll with a bunch of white belts, then blues, etc. until the coach rolled with you and then you got your belt. I kinda think that is a better way of doing it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

We just do congratulatory light handed standing cross choke to the new recipient.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
You could always just tell your coach that getting hit with a belt brings up bad memories for you. They'd have to be a real jerk to give you a hard time after that.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
My gym just has a BBQ in the parking lot and everybody eats picanha which seems a lot more fun than getting whipped by a bunch of people who aren't going to play with your nipples and jerk you off after

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I attended a military boarding school as a kid, as an adult I have no patience for most hazing (cool traditions, like the bbq, are ok).

I would speak out, respectfully, against a professor wanting to do this. If he/she continued pushing it I would get more direct about it.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I don't think it's nearly as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. While I agree it's kinda silly to let other people whip you with a belt as a sign of your growth in a sport, it's like 15 seconds of pain for something you spent a couple years of getting your rear end kicked to earn.

VRViperII
Mar 17, 2009
I see it as a literal congratulatory slap on the back. A ceremonial show of respect. But it is also humbling because of the whipping aspect, and humility is important in our sport. Any that I have experienced are full of fun and love, and I can understand how it spread to so many gyms. Pressuring someone to do it would be pretty hosed up though.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

JaySB posted:

I don't think it's nearly as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. While I agree it's kinda silly to let other people whip you with a belt as a sign of your growth in a sport, it's like 15 seconds of pain for something you spent a couple years of getting your rear end kicked to earn.

Why do you need to hit someone with a belt to congratulate them? Use your words, you're an adult.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Yes why aren't these people who roll around in pajamas choking each other out acting like Adults

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

VRViperII posted:

I see it as a literal congratulatory slap on the back. A ceremonial show of respect. But it is also humbling because of the whipping aspect, and humility is important in our sport. Any that I have experienced are full of fun and love, and I can understand how it spread to so many gyms. Pressuring someone to do it would be pretty hosed up though.

If you've made it to your first promotion without feeling humble then either you're a champion wrestler or your gym is doing you a disservice.

If your gym does a gauntlet then there IS pressure to do it, regardless of what anyone says. That's what peer pressure is. Nobody HAS to undergo hazing (which is what a gauntlet is,) they choose to because of peer pressure.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I don't know what the gently caress has happened in everyone's past but the hysterical reaction to this is genuinely bizarre from my perspective.

Personally, I think shark tanks or other types of hardship that still produce a learning experience are the way to go, but holy poo poo lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Why do you need to hit someone with a belt to congratulate them? Use your words, you're an adult.

Why learn to armbar when you can instead employ the Socratic method to achieve a shared understanding and turn a prospective enemy into a life long friend of learning?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
How many people who enjoy the gauntlet are former military, boarding school or frat boys?

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
I was actually bleeding after the last time I went through the gauntlet lmao

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The shark tank feels more like a bonding experience between peers and the gauntlet feels more like hazing between 12 year olds

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

Why learn to armbar when you can instead employ the Socratic method to achieve a shared understanding and turn a prospective enemy into a life long friend of learning?

What do gauntlets have to do with bjj you moron? At least try not to contradict yourself when trying your sick burn.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Tezcatlipoca posted:

What do gauntlets have to do with bjj you moron? At least try not to contradict yourself when trying your sick burn.

it's to do with congratulations.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
CONGRATULATIONS *POW*

- Guy that I've never rolled with and only comes around once a year when promotion time comes.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv9xpZhUUpU&t=58s
Batista on his purple belt gauntlet

starkebn posted:

How many people who enjoy the gauntlet are former military, boarding school or frat boys?

Because they are used to hazing.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

ElMaligno posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv9xpZhUUpU&t=58s
Batista on his purple belt gauntlet

Because they are used to hazing.

this is way better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEySUuAYNGw

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Belt slap not a big deal imo

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Im a purple belt so Ive been whipped a couple of times and if I stick with it Ill get whipped one more. Whoop-de-doo.

The school I used to train at said if you dont want to be whipped, you dont get to whip and that worked fairly well in terms of giving people an out.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

My gym just has a BBQ in the parking lot and everybody eats picanha which seems a lot more fun than getting whipped by a bunch of people who aren't going to play with your nipples and jerk you off after

well have you even asked?

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Sorry, for some reason the awful app is eating a lot of the punctuation, looks different when I preview it.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

JaySB posted:

Agreed... I'm in more pain from soreness after rolling than any smack from a cloth belt comes close to. It never seemed like a big deal to me

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Jerome Louis posted:

Agreed... I'm in more pain from soreness after rolling than any smack from a cloth belt comes close to. It never seemed like a big deal to me

It's not about the pain, it's about it being stupid macho bullshit that people may very reasonably not want to participate in.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's not about the pain, it's about it being stupid macho bullshit that people may very reasonably not want to participate in.

I don't really care if people want to participate in it or not, I just never even understood the idea that it was so repugnant to some people that it would draw such a big amount of ire... I guess having played sports most of my life has warped my view of that stuff

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

is it really a macho thing and not a lighthearted ceremony that you can always opt out of?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

is it really a macho thing and not a lighthearted ceremony that you can always opt out of?

Depends if you're a normal well adjusted human or not.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Jerome Louis posted:

I don't really care if people want to participate in it or not, I just never even understood the idea that it was so repugnant to some people that it would draw such a big amount of ire... I guess having played sports most of my life has warped my view of that stuff

You really have that much trouble understanding why someone might have reservations about a sadomasochistic group hazing ritual?

Marching Powder posted:

It's 100% a macho thing that started because some shithead coach wanted BJJ training to feel more like the military.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You really have that much trouble understanding why someone might have reservations about a sadomasochistic group hazing ritual?

I don't see it that way, so yes

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's 100% a macho thing that started because some shithead coach wanted BJJ training to feel more like the military.

you must really loving hate the people you train with

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
I've dislocated my shoulder over a dozen times, no longer have an AC joint, and regularly get choked to near unconsciousness by a 270 lb man with bad B.O. and dreadlocks. I'm for sure not normal or well adjusted and I'm ok with that

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

so

when's the next EBI?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Jerome Louis posted:

I've dislocated my shoulder over a dozen times, no longer have an AC joint, and regularly get choked to near unconsciousness by a 270 lb man with bad B.O. and dreadlocks. I'm for sure not normal or well adjusted and I'm ok with that

the real brutality is your friends patting you on the back too hard with your consent

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Whether or not it's opt-out, the peer pressure will be there for people to do it.

I don't think anybody cares if you have no problem with it personally, do what you want, but it seems really stupid to pretend it's a great tradition that must be done or you're some sort of too sensitive girly man. It's only been done for 30 years at most, and I'd be surprised if any Gracies or Machados do it in their gyms.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

starkebn posted:

Whether or not it's opt-out, the peer pressure will be there for people to do it.

I don't think anybody cares if you have no problem with it personally, do what you want, but it seems really stupid to pretend it's a great tradition that must be done or you're some sort of too sensitive girly man. It's only been done for 30 years at most, and I'd be surprised if any Gracies or Machados do it in their gyms.

This guy gets it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

starkebn posted:

but it seems really stupid to pretend it's a great tradition that must be done or you're some sort of too sensitive girly man.

it is really stupid, but nobody here is saying that.