Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

phasmid posted:

One of my favorite parts of God Emperor is where Siona takes Duncan to a small sietch to see what happens when he meets family sired by his predecessor. It was especially moving that Siona felt badly afterward and Duncan forgave her. It would be pretty hard to get over some poo poo like that, you'd think.

I also like the part where he's arguing with Moneo in the mess hall and keeps acting like a fool to piss the old man off.

I just read through that section and the thing I had to keep reminding myself is that it isn't a sietch, it's just a little village out among orchards and farmland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Kyle Hyde posted:

I'm reading it presently, and I can tell you that it's life extending properties are definitely mentioned in passing. (in the beginning of the book anyway, I dunno if its elaborated upon later)

Still catching up on the thread but this effect of spice is touched on a lot more in Heretics of Dune. Because the spice monopoly of arrakis is broken, and even the bene gesserit, who do not produce it, have vast hoards and are a major seller, spice has become a far more common accessory of life extension. Between the advances in health, genetics, and spice use, lifespans of some humans reach a couple of centuries iirc.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

basic hitler posted:

Still catching up on the thread but this effect of spice is touched on a lot more in Heretics of Dune. Because the spice monopoly of arrakis is broken, and even the bene gesserit, who do not produce it, have vast hoards and are a major seller, spice has become a far more common accessory of life extension. Between the advances in health, genetics, and spice use, lifespans of some humans reach a couple of centuries iirc.

Yup. It's mentioned in passing in the first book but it just isn't considered that big of a deal; Baron Harkonnen is in his early 80's when Dune happens while Rabban is in his 60's. It is never, ever mentioned that either of them are considered old because they aren't. I think Shaddam IV was described as looking in his 30's despite being an age we'd consider elderly now.

I think it's limited to the wealthy and important as it's too expensive for everybody else to buy. It was also described as not really taking all that much to make you live a couple of centuries.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, isn’t Teg like 180 at the start of heretics?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

exmachina posted:

I guess it is just my headcanon, but one of the reasons I liked how prescience was handled was that it was NOT Space Magic. Navigators prescience was different in degree but not in form from Paul and Leto, that is why Navigators interfere with their prescience. They are just not as good at it.

This is not too far off.

Paul begins to awaken in the desert. It happens as he uses every ounce pf his training up to that pount. He had been secretly trained as a mentat and was computing as one; as he became more exposed to spice in the deep deaert of arrakis, the number and scope of calculations increased exponwntially to the point he was able to infer his maternal grandfather and his mothers nascent pregnancy from very tiny nearly u perceptible pieces of data, and this rapidly gives way to prediction and prescience.

If anypne wants to argue about what prescience is and isn't, all of you guys need to go read paul and Jessica's trek in the desert.

Paul's prescience is basically magic but it's built on/born rrom a foundation of mentat-like thinking

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

basic hitler posted:

This is not too far off.

Paul begins to awaken in the desert. It happens as he uses every ounce pf his training up to that pount. He had been secretly trained as a mentat and was computing as one; as he became more exposed to spice in the deep deaert of arrakis, the number and scope of calculations increased exponwntially to the point he was able to infer his maternal grandfather and his mothers nascent pregnancy from very tiny nearly u perceptible pieces of data, and this rapidly gives way to prediction and prescience.

If anypne wants to argue about what prescience is and isn't, all of you guys need to go read paul and Jessica's trek in the desert.

Paul's prescience is basically magic but it's built on/born rrom a foundation of mentat-like thinking

I really think that Frank Herbert did that on purpose to leave prescience ambiguous. That or to make Paul extra special and thus an extra big chaos factor in the universe. In the end he was a Mentat and a Bene Jesserit and had the abilities of both. He was being trained in both as a kid and grew up in each of them.

This made him a truly exceptional person that ended up getting revered religiously which caused some very bad things to happen.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
i like the part with the fighting and then it was weird andthen sandworms :shcokedc: and then toto h;ad somew icked guitar

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRzVFlZxBv4

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
oh and then capitain picard threw a nuclear pug at sting while the principal from kindergarden cop was lik e"i make the beds"

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
let me ask ziggy where the signet rings are, agent cooper

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fucken A

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Is this testing whether I'm a fremen or a lesbian, Stilgar?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Well, I went to Sietch Tabr once but I never felt too lucky.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
oh look im the dune foley artis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxarGWjcIZg

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Why do you lay these troubles on an already troubled mind? Can you not see, your uncle is wearied by your...malcontent, your warmongering, Feyd?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Tell me about the waters of your homeworld, Usul.

Paul opened his eyes. "Isn't that strange? My homeworld's Caladan. I've never heard of a planet called Usual."

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
life's a sietch

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

MC Hawking posted:

Tell me about the waters of your homeworld, Usul.

Paul opened his eyes. "Isn't that strange? My homeworld's Caladan. I've never heard of a planet called Usual."

Repost, forgive me

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

*hoverhands the gom jabbar*

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I have a theory that's not entirely original that Dune is Frank Herbert's attempt at flipping the themes of The Foundation trilogy on its head. Where Asimov liked his future-seeing philosopher scientists, Herbert thought they were dangerous and he wrote the Dune series as a rebuke.

Also the Mule in Foundation is Paul in Dune, someone who wasn't part of the programming.

speaking of the Foundation, do you think the hermaphrodite kid was evil at the end? she had shifty eyes i think

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BONGHITZ posted:

speaking of the Foundation, do you think the hermaphrodite kid was evil at the end? she had shifty eyes i think
ehh i can't remember it has been a long time since i read it :shrug:

still a good theory though!

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Spinster posted:

Repost, forgive me

I watched the entire 3hr fan cut of Dune yesterday and I really wish the scene where Paul, leto, Dr Uuey, and faeit Keynes we're all sitting around liate I got to Sir Patric Stewart paly his space electric mandolin sitar thingie wasn't cut from the final releaae. It's so hilariously awkward when Paul starts bopping his head like "gently caress yeah this is the poo poo".

Paul is the ultimate Chad.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The Tleilaxu are the ultimate volcels. Read Heretics, heretics!

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I'm actually reading the first one now and simultaneously studying some online college course material analyzing the book to achieve better understanding of why fear is the mind killer.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Actually I don't think Paul is the ultimate Chad but you bet your rear end some idiotic incel has made the argument that generations of specific genetic engineering are necessary to become Chad.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MC Hawking posted:

Actually I don't think Paul is the ultimate Chad but you bet your rear end some idiotic incel has made the argument that generations of specific genetic engineering are necessary to become Chad.

really the fact that you exist at all is proof that all your male ancestors were sufficiently Chadly to reproduce

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Remember when Alia was fighting a training killbot naked and managed to get to a higher level than even any swordmasters and Paul was worried it might kill her so he turned it off by hitting its millimeter-sized deactivation switch with a throwing knife from across the practice floor while it was wigging out at like a million miles an hour and the only reaction she had was “hm, must be Paul I don’t think anyone else could do that.”

I was attacked by a bunch of spice crazed fanatics of the green-black flag but things stopped happening after book 4, which is kind of the point but doesnt make a good read

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
The way I figure it Paul just figured the whole universe could use a good cornholing but pussed out so Leto II took the reigns and was like "what of it bitches, I control the Spice so bend over."

And then Duncan is like "woah dude, this poo poo is whack."

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

MC Hawking posted:

The way I figure it Paul just figured the whole universe could use a good cornholing but pussed out so Leto II took the reigns and was like "what of it bitches, I control the Spice so bend over."

And then Duncan is like "woah dude, this poo poo is whack."

The way I understand it, this is exactly right. Paul realized that the amount of dick slapping that is necessary is too much for him, so he kinda gave up. But leto II gave it his 100 (4.5 thouthand years)

E: I,ll elaborate this a little. Paul was going kund of crazy about the jyhad he vproduced. But it was nothing compared to what is really necessary. So the man chose to regress from godhood to fanatic because godhood asked the unthinkable. Going blind and insane is nothing compared to what really must be done.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 1, 2018

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

People itt seem to be misremembering paul's relationship to the golden path.

he saw the same thing, and had the same potential to do, what Leto II did. He had the same calling, however his identity as atreides made him desperate to avoid mere jihad and becoming his version of the Tyrant was entirely anathema to who he was at that point.

His son's personality being an amalgam of ancestor spirits that strongly identified as a fremen as more than a survival ruse meant that he was far more ready and willing to do the needful.

it was mostly a product of being preborn and being born into a society for whom survival was paramount, rather than a highborn imperial teenaged boy who adopted it to avoid dying.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Will someone please post that rad picture of the Sandworm God

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

There's a point in children of dune where leto confronts his dad, has a vicious mind-battle that sounds like it played out like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Tj_l4PcPs

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

basic hitler posted:

People itt seem to be misremembering paul's relationship to the golden path.

he saw the same thing, and had the same potential to do, what Leto II did. He had the same calling, however his identity as atreides made him desperate to avoid mere jihad and becoming his version of the Tyrant was entirely anathema to who he was at that point.

His son's personality being an amalgam of ancestor spirits that strongly identified as a fremen as more than a survival ruse meant that he was far more ready and willing to do the needful.

it was mostly a product of being preborn and being born into a society for whom survival was paramount, rather than a highborn imperial teenaged boy who adopted it to avoid dying.

That makes sense and I hadn't realized it before. Thanks for explaining it.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

predicting the future is tricky business, should leave it to the robots

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

BONGHITZ posted:

No!!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BONGHITZ posted:

Bro, this is how you get prequels. Is that what you want? Prequels?

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Duncan is always right

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

frank herbert could have written a loving prequel. he would have prequeled the ultimate prequel. people would be talking about how frank wrote the only good prequel ever.

but he was above prequels. forward thinkers don't look back and reminisce on what's already been done. turn that clock forward. write your own poo poo, son, and stop letting kevin j anderson poo poo on your dad's grave. there's no chance he did anything to deserve this level of defilement so let it rest dipshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
it's crazy how much they get wrong and make boring

like the butlerian jihad is basically explicitly spelled out across the four books -- they threw out all the machines and tried to eliminate 'machine thinking', not the war against LORD CYBERTREX-8000. the horrifying future that leto 2 is trying to avoid is when someone forgets the lessons of the past and builds prescient killing machines, not the actual return of LORD CYBERTREX-8000.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 1, 2018