Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Or l'vorps *twirls moustache* hon hon hon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

ToxicFrog posted:

The best part is that I misremembered. They're lavender orpingtons. Lorps?
porples

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Hi Pet Island, chickens are very funny and cute, so I popped into this thread for a smile. What's the dumbest/funniest thing you've ever seen your chicken do, and can you show me the chicken too? tia

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

A Spider Covets posted:

Hi Pet Island, chickens are very funny and cute, so I popped into this thread for a smile. What's the dumbest/funniest thing you've ever seen your chicken do, and can you show me the chicken too? tia

Our Polish, Xul, found a cicada and proceeded to grab it in her beak and run around the yard in circles making excited noises for a couple minutes before she actually ate the drat thing.

This is her, she turns into an anime when it rains.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Our Polish, Xul, found a cicada and proceeded to grab it in her beak and run around the yard in circles making excited noises for a couple minutes before she actually ate the drat thing.

This is her, she turns into an anime when it rains.

Tell her I love her and she's a very excellent bird!!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/XBymV3y.mp4

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

A Spider Covets posted:

Yesterday I found my chickens huddled at one side of the coop staring in terror at the tiny woodmouse that was brazenly burgling their feed container.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Yesterday I found my chickens huddled at one side of the coop staring in terror at the tiny woodmouse that was brazenly burgling their feed container.

One of my hens will try to murder any giant crow that dares to even look at the run, but they'll flee from the tiny chaffinch who steals their food.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I wish mine would kill rats.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

A Spider Covets posted:

zeborah and her precious babies, which are all 100% hers and look just like her and are not unusual in any way shape or form

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

All four of them seem to be comfortable in the run now, although grackles still make them nervous. When they've chilled out enough that they no longer completely flip their poo poo every time we open the coop, we may let them have some supervised playtime in the yard as a whole.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

this broken hill posted:

zeborah and her precious babies, which are all 100% hers and look just like her and are not unusual in any way shape or form

Jesus christ how loud is your backyard

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

hope and vaseline posted:

Jesus christ how loud is your backyard
you have no idea lol, at my high point i had thirty guinea fowl. luckily i was on 25 acres at the time (i'm not anymore so i had to sell all my birds :( they went in family groups though). the best thing was that being raised by a chook made the guineas all super tame and friendly, so every moment of the day they'd be crowded around all the windows singing in perfect harmony and it was impossible to escape from them

e: toxicfrog your girls are so pretty

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

this broken hill posted:

I knoooow :kimchi:

It didn't come through super well in that photo but the Sussexes have beautiful grey manes. The Orpingtons are younger and still kind of have that ambulatory drier lint thing going on.

This is pretty much my first up-close interaction with chickens but they are so goddamned fuzzy and I want to snuggle the crap out of them. They're still too skittish for that, but someday.

So fuzzy.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
they're the most elegant group of hens i think i've ever seen, it's good they're getting to know each other and nobody's being shunned :3:

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Haha I didn't know chickens were scared by rodents, that's kind of adorable.

this broken hill posted:

I've read about your birds before!! I think you had a thread for them? So cute.

Thanks for indulging me PI goons :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

this broken hill posted:

you have no idea lol, at my high point i had thirty guinea fowl. luckily i was on 25 acres at the time (i'm not anymore so i had to sell all my birds :( they went in family groups though). the best thing was that being raised by a chook made the guineas all super tame and friendly, so every moment of the day they'd be crowded around all the windows singing in perfect harmony and it was impossible to escape from them

I need to get about 10 more. My idiots all slowly got hit by cars and poo poo, as guineas tend to do.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

slowly got hit by cars

Sorry but I couldn't help but think of this except with a little guinea
https://i.imgur.com/RWaetpi.gifv

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I need to get about 10 more. My idiots all slowly got hit by cars and poo poo, as guineas tend to do.

I started off with 4 last year. One of them (luckily the male who was way too aggressive with the chickens, fucker would even pick on my rooster) got eaten by a raccoon, and another wandered off to god knows where. They are very entertaining birds though, and at some point I found their constant screeching to be kind of comforting.

It's amazing how small their brains are... when they fly over my fence and panic when they can't get back, it's like they forget they're capable of flying. They'll just walk the length of the fence for hours if I don't notice.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

I love watching chickens eat yogurt. One of mine gets so excited that she basically sticks her entire head in the yogurt until it's covering her face, beak, wattles and comb.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

this broken hill posted:

they're the most elegant group of hens i think i've ever seen, it's good they're getting to know each other and nobody's being shunned :3:

Yeah, they all seem to be getting along really well. :shobon: They still haven't figured out that the slice of watermelon I put in the run is food, but hopefully they'll work that out eventually -- they're hatchery pullets, so they've probably lived entirely on commercial feed and the occasional passing bug.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Enfys posted:

I love watching chickens eat yogurt. One of mine gets so excited that she basically sticks her entire head in the yogurt until it's covering her face, beak, wattles and comb.

This thread is worthless without pics.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Shame Boner posted:

Sorry but I couldn't help but think of this except with a little guinea
https://i.imgur.com/RWaetpi.gifv

I mean you're joking but literally.

hope and vaseline posted:

I started off with 4 last year. One of them (luckily the male who was way too aggressive with the chickens, fucker would even pick on my rooster) got eaten by a raccoon, and another wandered off to god knows where. They are very entertaining birds though, and at some point I found their constant screeching to be kind of comforting.

It's amazing how small their brains are... when they fly over my fence and panic when they can't get back, it's like they forget they're capable of flying. They'll just walk the length of the fence for hours if I don't notice.

See that's the thing. They knew to fly in and out but they were positive that those cars were fine after watching their buddy get hit.

And you basically would have to cut their wings completely off to keep them in unless you have 8 ft fence.

Also of all my chickens right now, my broody is my tiny frizzle hen.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
my favourite guinea fool moment was when i moved our doormat a few inches to the left and rotated it slightly and the new orientation totally blew their minds, they no longer recognised this mysterious object on their verandah and i had the whole flock standing in a circle around the mat tilting their heads and making fire engine noises for the better part of an hour

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Also of all my chickens right now, my broody is my tiny frizzle hen.
put some guinea eggs under her

this broken hill fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 1, 2018

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Epsilon is not sure what to make of the chickens.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

this broken hill posted:

put some guinea eggs under her

If I had any I absolutely would.

My favorite muscovy duck made a nest right beside her. because of course she did.

gently caress it I gave them both eggs this morning (I gave that muscovy duck like 19 eggs because she's a fantastic broody and a fantastic mom) and they hurriedly hid them under their fluff.

Did I mention I just spent a month turning eggs, ladies.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Muscovy ducks best mums. Best ducks in general. Beautiful elegant warty friends.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

https://twitter.com/ExBatsforEver/status/991660995906097152

drat right.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Where did they get those colourful silicon booby shaped feeders?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Yeah I want booby feeders

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
yeah what the gently caress that is incredible design

great chooks too

fb, do muscovies raise hatchlings of other species like chickens do? i've been told that peacocks will raise another species of chick but geese won't, they recognise it as a non-goose straight away and peck it to death, because they're demonic. but i've never heard whether ducks do it (and muscovies are like a mutated ancestral duck or something). it's the most fascinating thing about raising poultry, to me

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

They're from the eglu company (their coops are really popular in the uk I hear)

https://www.omlet.us/shop/chicken_keeping/feeders_and_drinkers/

sold out :/

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
They're in stock in the UK! :henget:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ynohtna posted:

They're in stock in the UK! :henget:

So your chicks are gonna have big boobies? :wiggle:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Council of Chickens.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

this broken hill posted:

yeah what the gently caress that is incredible design

great chooks too

fb, do muscovies raise hatchlings of other species like chickens do? i've been told that peacocks will raise another species of chick but geese won't, they recognise it as a non-goose straight away and peck it to death, because they're demonic. but i've never heard whether ducks do it (and muscovies are like a mutated ancestral duck or something). it's the most fascinating thing about raising poultry, to me

Muscovies will absolutely raise hatchlings of other species. Most other domestic ducks are absolutely rubbish at hatching eggs but muscovies will both sit on them for ages and love their weird looking babies as their own. They are commonly used to hatch the eggs of mallard descended ducks, which is basically every other domestic duck that isn't a Muscovy, and also geese, chicken, and most other domestic fowl eggs. Like Silkies in chickens, they have a reputation for being very good mothers.

Despite the name Muscovies, like turkeys, are from the Americas. But western Europeans largely didn't know what an America was at the time and they used the name of a far off mysterious exotic land because everyone knows Turkey has weird poo poo.

Also when you get a duck to raise chicken babies you need to keep an eye on them as they will try to take the babies for a swim.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

ToxicFrog posted:

Council of Chickens.

They plot

and they poop

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Also when you get a duck to raise chicken babies you need to keep an eye on them as they will try to take the babies for a swim.
ahahaha :negative:

the moment that blew my mind (i got permabanned before this happened so it was never shared in my keet thread) was when zebby decided she wanted to go back to the henhouse, but her guinea clutch were still sleeping with her on the pallets in the nursery. so she and her full-grown rooster son climbed a peppermint tree - i had never seen either of them climb a tree before - and after a bit of panic the keets followed. they all sat up in the tree for ages and then came down. that night zebby and her boy went back to the henhouse and her keets all flew up into the peppermint tree to roost, and that's where they slept for the rest of their stay at the farm

zebby had raised broods of chickens before and she always just perched them in the henhouse with the rest of the chooks to sleep. but in this case, i have no explanation for what happened except that she realised that her brood were a different species and they didn't need to sleep with the chooks, they needed to sleep like the other guineas did, up in a tree. the fact that her son went up into the tree with them (and he's a huge rooster, way too heavy to be comfortably climbing trees, but he did it) was just a whole other layer of weird

it's all weird. birds are weird

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From PYF again.

https://i.imgur.com/ptDn9Hg.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

We let the chooks out of the run and into the yard proper for the first time today!

At first all of them just sat inside the doorway looking out, then one of them very cautiously stuck her head out and took a bite of grass. Then she made that "bok bok bok" food-here noise and all of them came rushing out for a taste. :3:

They didn't stray more than a meter from the run (or each other) and in general seem pretty wary of the great outdoors, even when offered grapes (the orange bowl). A few times three of them went outside while the fourth stayed inside the run, then got confused and started repeatedly walking into the wire mesh trying to get to them. Chickens aren't very good at pathfinding, are they?

Suzie is still not sure what to make of the chickens, but after doing this for a bit she flopped on top of the run and did her "pet me, love me, cuddle me" thing, so I think she's getting more comfortable around them.