Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i need a chart showing claims of the number deaths attributed to communism because it seems to get bigger and bigger every year

It gets bigger because they compound it by all the never-realized descendants of the people who were originally killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It gets bigger because they compound it by all the never-realized descendants of the people who were originally killed.

also it includes all the famine deaths from the war and postwar devastation

also it counts all the war casualties from the nazis, including the killed nazis themselves on that front

also it includes estimated soviet growth rates relative to the rest of the world, and when those weren’t met, the neverborn were also counted as communist deaths

the black book of communism is hilarious

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Sidakafitz posted:

Canada's failing National Post put up an extremely low grade hack op-ed about Marx that belongs in a tabloid rather than the "respectable" newspaper the Post purports to be.

Happy birthday, Karl Marx: We could have done without the millions dead

The writer cites the Black Book of Communism as a reliable source, and takes Marx quotes completely out of context by quoting a single word and paraphrasing the rest.

Fun fact: the Postmedia group owns almost every local newspaper in Canada, including competing papers within the same city. They recently acquired the Sun, Canada's borderline-fascist tabloid paper, and merged all their newsrooms. This is probably why Sun material like this ended up in the Post.

look at this goober

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Shear Modulus posted:

lol the sf chronicle (and basically the entire power structure of the city) has been hilariously in the tank for the incumbent

the chronicle employs gloria la riva so it's not all bad

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

liberal homeless hater op/ed time

https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/after-14-years-ive-had-it-im-leaving-seattle/

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

literally "but my decorum :qq: "

As a professional science writer, I’ve certainly grown accustomed to the crass insults that have become routine in our toxic political environment. I just didn’t expect it from a person for whom I voted. But perhaps I shouldn’t have been surprised.

Slowly but surely, Seattle has become an angry place. Councilmember Kshama Sawant called a police shooting a “brutal murder.” She also tweeted that it was “terrible” for a feminist organization to wish that Barbara Bush, on her death, rest in peace. As a congressional candidate, Pramila Jayapal supporters implied that her respectable opponent, Brady Walkinshaw, was a misogynist and racist. And former Mayor Ed Murray, whose pattern of alleged sexual behavior finally caught up with him, remained defiant until the bitter end.

For a city that prides itself on being “anti-Trump,” it is difficult to see how exactly we’re supposed to possess the moral high ground over “The Other Washington.”

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

tbf He's bitching about Seattle's seemingly unwillingness to do anything significant for the homeless

This is the same city that gives tax-free blowjobs to Amazon and Bezos BTW

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

he only says that after saying that they should be rounded up and forcefully reeducated

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Main Paineframe posted:

As a professional science writer, I’ve certainly grown accustomed to the crass insults that have become routine in our toxic political environment. I just didn’t expect it from a person for whom I voted. But perhaps I shouldn’t have been surprised.

Slowly but surely, Seattle has become an angry place. Councilmember Kshama Sawant called a police shooting a “brutal murder.” She also tweeted that it was “terrible” for a feminist organization to wish that Barbara Bush, on her death, rest in peace. As a congressional candidate, Pramila Jayapal supporters implied that her respectable opponent, Brady Walkinshaw, was a misogynist and racist. And former Mayor Ed Murray, whose pattern of alleged sexual behavior finally caught up with him, remained defiant until the bitter end.

For a city that prides itself on being “anti-Trump,” it is difficult to see how exactly we’re supposed to possess the moral high ground over “The Other Washington.”

Kshama Sawant 2020

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

my civility :qq:

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

the homeless should be rounded up and trained in guerilla warfare

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

viral spiral posted:

tbf He's bitching about Seattle's seemingly unwillingness to do anything significant for the homeless

This is the same city that gives tax-free blowjobs to Amazon and Bezos BTW

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/992596989421420544

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

only 360 mil a day? peasant

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

lmao sawant was the first and for a long time only seattle politician to call for murray to step down. our current basically republican mayor had his endorsement on her site until the morning of his announcement for his resignation. until the end the establishment this dude supports was behind so i say fohhhhhh

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Best Giraffe posted:

don't doxxx my revolutionary fever dreams

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Best Giraffe posted:

i was at this town hall with city council members last week where a bunch of anti homeless people showed up and cheered on suggestions to round up the homless on camera and drug test them on the spot

https://twitter.com/ericacbarnett/status/991937648255229952

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

im the camera man smirkin at white olds

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXJzTRYbcww

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

this piece of poo poo makes 360 million a day and he's too cheap to give just a few million to homeless programs a year

:EvilBenShapiroGrin:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
ok I think I'm gettin wooshed here nm

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

richard wolff picking on paul krugman's neoclassical economics views amidst a rant about how worthless the american economics profession is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y0vVvWmh5s&t=352s

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I thought Krugman was a neokeynesian

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This is the decorum this man deserves

Shear Modulus posted:

i should write an op ed agreeing with it and say the party elders obviously need to intervene if the dem primary voters nominate an unelectable loser like hillary again and install bernie in a backroom deal

Honestly the only thing stopping us from cranking out our own editorials is that I don't think we are physically, mentally, capable of stooping to their level

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Forums Terrorist posted:

I thought Krugman was a neokeynesian

i once read a description of new keynesian economics as neoclassical economics but with some keynesian bits mixed in

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Shear Modulus posted:

i once read a description of new keynesian economics as neoclassical economics but with some keynesian bits mixed in

its christians reading the Jewish bible

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

comedyblissoption posted:

richard wolff picking on paul krugman's neoclassical economics views amidst a rant about how worthless the american economics profession is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y0vVvWmh5s&t=352s

he does a little more than pick on his views, "a short, ugly little man" ahahaha dick wolff owns

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

Neoclassical economics refers to economics that are based on mathematical formalization, some form of rational actor assumptions, and the idea that macroeconomics needs to have micro foundations. New Keynesian economics has very little of Keynes, because new Keynesian is fully neoclassical.

In real world terms, microfoundations refer to something like: how would it be rational from an individual perspective to have involuntary unemployment? If someone really wants to work, they will lower their required salary, and soon that will lead to a situation where employers end up hiring everyone. New Kenyesians essentially introduce some frictions to explain that. Prices are sticky, for example, because there's a cost in frequently adjusting prices, for example (the so called "menu costs" because it's based on the idea that restaurants aren't constantly adjusting their prices because it would cost money to print new menus all the time). So in the long run markets will still be in equilibrium, but in the short term there may be disruptions.

So neoclassical is just a broad umbrella of specific schools which include things from monetarism, real business cycles, new keynesians, etc. Austrian economics and Post Keynesian economics are not neoclassical, which can lead to interesting situations where Austrians and Post Keynesians are allied in methodological debates while being diametrically opposed on ideological ones.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/992925279407439873

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
John McCain is an irredeemable piece of poo poo who has been instrumental in the deregulation of government and the destruction of welfare programs when he's not trying to promote American imperialism or overthrowing governments. That brain tumor is not even causing him a fraction of the agony that he brought upon millions of people around the world for the last 50 years.

Oh, and he picked Sarah Palin as his VP and the Amazon owned WaPo apparently still insists he has good judgement :laffo:

Rot in hell you sack of poo poo

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

viral spiral posted:

John McCain is an irredeemable piece of poo poo who has been instrumental in the deregulation of government and the destruction of welfare programs when he's not trying to promote American imperialism or overthrowing governments. That brain tumor is not even causing him a fraction of the agony that he brought upon millions of people around the world for the last 50 years.

Oh, and he picked Sarah Palin as his VP and the Amazon owned WaPo apparently still insists he has good judgement :laffo:

this loving brain genius who wrote that article thinks that McCain was so mad that the GOP wouldn't let him be bipartisan that he picked Palin on purpose to scuttle his campaign

quote:

On the other hand, he blew whatever small chance he had of beating Barack Obama in 2008 when his victory in the primaries caused him to break stride. McCain stumbled with GOP elders by pushing for a Democrat as his running mate. When they vetoed the choice, he impulsively chose the untested and unready Sarah Palin . At the time, I asked a veteran Republican for the backstory. “He didn’t get his way so he threw his peas against the wall,” came the answer.

truly the politician America needs

the article also doesn't actually say anything else positive about McCain as a politician. it calls him an "interesting" campaigner but not a good one. the endorsement is built basically entirely on his ~war hero~ past

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Main Paineframe posted:

this loving brain genius who wrote that article thinks that McCain was so mad that the GOP wouldn't let him be bipartisan that he picked Palin on purpose to scuttle his campaign

truly the politician America needs

the article also doesn't actually say anything else positive about McCain as a politician. it calls him an "interesting" campaigner but not a good one. the endorsement is built basically entirely on his ~war hero~ past

he should have died in vietnam

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

“political capital” is the most cursed phrase in American politics

Politics is a game of Europa Universalis 4

Obama's monarch stats we're 2:5:4, so he had enough Hitler Mana get the Iran deal and to order drone strikes but he would've needed at least a 4 in Adminstration to aquire enough political capital for Universal Healthcare

Luckily, the American republic responded to this by electing a president with 1:1:6 so :regd08:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

viral spiral posted:

I would hope that in his last days he would openly list every sin he has committed ask God's forgiveness. But let's be honest. The man is a utter narcissistic monster. He will almost certainly not do this, and will almost certainly burn in hell. He also certainly shouldn't be eulogized.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Crowsbeak posted:

I would hope that in his last days he would openly list every sin he has committed ask God's forgiveness. But let's be honest. The man is a utter narcissistic monster. He will almost certainly not do this, and will almost certainly burn in hell. He also certainly shouldn't be eulogized.

Same, but he converts to Shia Islam

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

When this senile ghoul finally goes six feet under, I guarantee you the Democrats — Schumer, Pelosi, Hillary, Obama, Perez, Cuomo, etc. — will be humanizing him with revisionist history even more so than the republicans will. DNC pundits like Maddow, Reid, Hayes, and Tapper will undoubtedly join them in this charade as well by bringing in CIA propagandists like clockwork.

Edit; And Democrats keep wondering why they lose elections.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Dreddout posted:

Same, but he converts to Shia Islam

Which , marāji should he fallow?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

viral spiral posted:

When this senile ghoul finally goes six feet under, I guarantee you the Democrats — Schumer, Pelosi, Hillary, Obama, Perez, Cuomo, etc. — will be humanizing him with revisionist history even more so than the republicans will. DNC pundits like Maddow, Reid, Hayes, and Tapper will undoubtedly join them in this charade as well by bringing in CIA propagandists like clockwork.

Edit; And Democrats keep wondering why they lose elections.

Remember how they worked night and day to rehab W's image?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

remember michelle obama hugging W like he wasnt a mass murderer lol

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Main Paineframe posted:

Lol. The failing Washington Post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lol

https://twitter.com/kenburns/status/993106042954317825
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/993135263479205888