Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
QBASIC white girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bunni-kat posted:

QBASIC white girl.

What? And the whole time mine was monochrome!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Bunni-kat posted:

QBASIC white girl.

Don't post my twitter handle.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I view python as the spiritual successor of basic

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
And in 15 years system admins will gasp that business critical functions are still running on old undocumented python scripts scattered across the network like leafs in the wind

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

DropsySufferer posted:

I've finally made my way away from basic low level IT jobs.

It's weird because I don't know what to do with the downtime. I'm so used to someone being at my back to be busy or just look busy. Now the unsaid rule is that as long as I deal with my responsibilities no one cares what else I'm doing. I could be posting here all day as long as the job gets done.

I think I have PTSD from past jobs or something it's going take me a while to get used to this...

Welcome to that job your Boomer parents assumed everyone already had where you aren’t having to justify your work load down to the minute and hustle all day just trying to look busy.

You’ve arrived.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Goddamn autocorrect :mad:

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 5, 2018

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What about Virtual Basic?

Adjectives are funny if you apply them to the wrong language, e.g. Fortran#, COBOL on rails, Visual MUMPS.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Adjectives are funny if you apply them to the wrong language, e.g. Fortran#, COBOL on rails, Visual MUMPS.

This post reminded me that COBOL on Cogs is a real thing.

Start migrating your web applications to God’s chosen framework.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Its Monday and its a new day where Sickening is asked to do a random job that he isn't hired to do.

The marketing director came to my office because the CEO is doing a speaking event at some random place and he wants someone to run the AUDIO. I have no clue how my name came up.

:backtowork: "Sickening, we are going to need you to drive 45 minutes away to this location at 5pm to run the audio. Its super important."

:) "What in the hell do you think I know about audio equipment and why did you come to me for this?"

:backtowork: "We were told to go to the helpdesk but I don't trust those guys"

:) "I am going to have to tell you no. I have stuff to do with my kids after 5 and I don't know a thing about audio equipment anyway"

:backtowork: "We don't have anyone that can do it on my team and I don't trust the helpdesk, I am sorry but you have to go THIS IS IMPORTANT."

:) "I don't HAVE to do anything. Your team members know as much about audio equipment as I do. Until the CIO comes over and and demands I do this I am going to have to pass. I don't think he wants to task me to do this anyway."

:backtowork: "So I am going to have to tell the CEO that we can't help him?"

:) "I wouldn't lie to him, you just said the helpdesk can help you"

:backtowork: "I am not taking a helpdesk person, I refuse."

:) "Well you aren't taking me, I have a meeting in 5 minutes, gotta go."

I am 100% sure I am not running audio anywhere.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I've been getting that *a lot* lately where users are demanding that I need to help them, despite having a dedicated helpdesk tech and a sysadmin that can help out if needed. Meanwhile the feedback I hear from dept heads that have spoken to me is that my team is extremely responsive and knowledgeable so I'm just sitting here like :confused: if they're so good please tell your team to bother them and leave me be

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sickening posted:

Its Monday and its a new day where Sickening is asked to do a random job that he isn't hired to do.

The marketing director came to my office because the CEO is doing a speaking event at some random place and he wants someone to run the AUDIO. I have no clue how my name came up.

:backtowork: "Sickening, we are going to need you to drive 45 minutes away to this location at 5pm to run the audio. Its super important."

:) "What in the hell do you think I know about audio equipment and why did you come to me for this?"

:backtowork: "We were told to go to the helpdesk but I don't trust those guys"

:) "I am going to have to tell you no. I have stuff to do with my kids after 5 and I don't know a thing about audio equipment anyway"

:backtowork: "We don't have anyone that can do it on my team and I don't trust the helpdesk, I am sorry but you have to go THIS IS IMPORTANT."

:) "I don't HAVE to do anything. Your team members know as much about audio equipment as I do. Until the CIO comes over and and demands I do this I am going to have to pass. I don't think he wants to task me to do this anyway."

:) "I wouldn't lie to him, you just said the helpdesk can help you"

:backtowork: "I am not taking a helpdesk person, I refuse."

:) "Well you aren't taking me, I have a meeting in 5 minutes, gotta go."

I am 100% sure I am not running audio anywhere.

If they somehow rope you in I sure hope they like a whole lot of audio "glitches" ruining that presentation.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If they somehow rope you in I sure hope they like a whole lot of audio "glitches" ruining that presentation.

Eh, they can fire me. I am not going. I am sure the CEO doesn't give a poo poo who runs the sound system and I am sure he would want someone to run it that knows what they are doing. If the marketing folks can't arrange for onsite audio its on them.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Particularly as they've waited until a few hours before the event to line this up. Planning, what's that?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sickening posted:

Eh, they can fire me. I am not going. I am sure the CEO doesn't give a poo poo who runs the sound system and I am sure he would want someone to run it that knows what they are doing. If the marketing folks can't arrange for onsite audio its on them.

Yuuuuuuup. They try to pull this poo poo at my place, too. It's marketing's job to make sure they have what they need to run an event.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

guppy posted:

Particularly as they've waited until a few hours before the event to line this up. Planning, what's that?

Pretty much. IT's unstated responsibility is to protect other departments from the consequences of their bad decisions. If you say yes, you're a doormat or "the help;" say no, you're not a team player or difficult to work with. Pay close attention to what happens when they escalate to your boss. If your boss rolls over, your team is weak and overwork is on the horizon.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My boss would tell him to go gently caress himself. I really like my boss.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My old boss used to say yes to everything because it was our job to "support the business." We got roped into so much dumb bullshit we have no place being involved with because of that.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My old MSP we took care of anything with a plug.

gently caress that.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I dream of working in one of those departments that says, "nope, not our job."

I am forever in a generalist tech hell. Today I have a ticket in my queue to figure out how Indian associates can call into domestic conference calls. I am not in any department that handles phones.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Krispy Wafer posted:

I dream of working in one of those departments that says, "nope, not our job."

I am forever in a generalist tech hell. Today I have a ticket in my queue to figure out how Indian associates can call into domestic conference calls. I am not in any department that handles phones.

Game recognize game.

(I'm so sorry you feel this pain)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just had to buy a bunch of Cisco 7942g phones from Amazon. Used of course. Then when they arrive I have to firmware update them and set them up for new users. Then deliver them to the desks with the PC I also setup. PC generalist what?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My favorite/most horrifying moment in this job was getting a call asking me why two sites in China had poor video conferencing reception. I didn't even know we had stuff in China and at no point did any of those packets cross over any device I had access to. It took a week to get rid of that ticket.

GreenNight posted:

I just had to buy a bunch of Cisco 7942g phones from Amazon. Used of course. Then when they arrive I have to firmware update them and set them up for new users. Then deliver them to the desks with the PC I also setup. PC generalist what?

I hope you didn't wipe those handsets down out of pure spite.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

George H.W. oval office posted:

My old MSP we took care of anything with a plug.

gently caress that.

It's great because by wanting to be helpful you end up delivering a far shitter solution and everybody gets pissed off. Back in my MSP days we had a sales guy who just couldn't help but want to get involved with poo poo that wasn't our problem. Need a crew to put some displays up in your meeting rooms and cable them all through the wall? Sure we'll take a stab at that and gently caress it up horribly. Mention in passing that you'd like a better way to control your lights? Let us just get involved with the stuff that a Lutron-qualified electrician would normally be tasked with.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Sickening posted:

If the marketing folks can't arrange for onsite audio its on them.

They totally hosed up and now they're scrambling trying to make it someone else's problem

Sickening posted:

"we" gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

My favorite/most horrifying moment in this job was getting a call asking me why two sites in China had poor video conferencing reception. I didn't even know we had stuff in China and at no point did any of those packets cross over any device I had access to. It took a week to get rid of that ticket.

I hope you didn't wipe those handsets down out of pure spite.

The handsets and cords were brand new! I'm guessing it is Cisco themselves selling these. The phones looked brand new too, but it said Used in the description. Only $50/ea

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Kashuno posted:

My old boss used to say yes to everything because it was our job to "support the business." We got roped into so much dumb bullshit we have no place being involved with because of that.

Goddamn this makes so much sense. It's the same boat we're in, because a past director wouldn't say no. So now I'm in charge of the door access swipecards and magnetic locks, the camera system, and a million other things. Current boss is chill tho and is fighting to remove that garbage from my plate.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

CloFan posted:

Goddamn this makes so much sense. It's the same boat we're in, because a past director wouldn't say no. So now I'm in charge of the door access swipecards and magnetic locks, the camera system, and a million other things. Current boss is chill tho and is fighting to remove that garbage from my plate.

You want me to help work with vendors on these things? Sure. You want me to do these things myself? Nope.

My old boss here was upset when I delegated access to people that needed it. "We need to limit access to has access in the key card system". Well no poo poo sherlock. Saying that, I am not stopping whatever I am doing during the day to make a key card for someone. Someone in HR can do that. If someone who has access to payroll is untrustworthy then we have bigger issues.

I am more in the industry to empower people to help themselves where it makes sense.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sickening posted:

I am more in the industry to empower people to help themselves where it makes sense.

Agreed 100%. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but IT are not button-pushers. Will there always be buttons for us to push? Sure, but we are not here so that another department can tell us "do thing X" and then we press the button to "do thing X." As senior folks it is our job to empower those more junior than us. As IT it is our job to empower users. We cannot do those things if we are too busy pressing button X every day.

I make the analogy often that it is like in an aircraft emergency. I put on my mask before helping others, because otherwise I can't. When I get to a new place, it is my job to focus on freeing up my day-to-day via permanent fixes to reoccurring problems, via automation, and via documentation so that people junior to me can step in. Then I take the same approach to free up my department. Then my department and I take the same approach to help those who work most closely with us, slowly pushing outwards.

This approach has been superful helpful to me over my career. I explain it to anyone who objects to me saying "no" to those "press button X" requests. Most people get it. If they don't, their manager usually does.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CloFan posted:

Ask me about barcode formats and industrial weigh price labeling machines!

Honestly, the more I've pushed back on this bullshit people have put on IT's shoulders over the years, the more I can spend my time on IT related things that will actually matter. Automated SQL reports, electronic work flows, a new ERP, change management. Things that actually help us.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Thanks Ants posted:

It's great because by wanting to be helpful you end up delivering a far shitter solution and everybody gets pissed off. Back in my MSP days we had a sales guy who just couldn't help but want to get involved with poo poo that wasn't our problem. Need a crew to put some displays up in your meeting rooms and cable them all through the wall? Sure we'll take a stab at that and gently caress it up horribly. Mention in passing that you'd like a better way to control your lights? Let us just get involved with the stuff that a Lutron-qualified electrician would normally be tasked with.

Trigger warning that poo poo. At my old MSP job, the owners son would do poo poo like this. The most shining example was a huge AV & wiring project that ended up keeping one of the helpdesk guys (then re-purposed as a field tech) out of the office for about a month, leaving who to get stuck answering bullshit tier 1 calls on top of my normal workload?

The best part was when it was all loving done and ready to go the customer asked if the fancy new expensive projector had any network capabilities (it didn't). The boss asked if we could plug a USB3->Ethernet adapter into one of its USB ports. :negative:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kashuno posted:

Ask me about barcode formats and industrial weigh price labeling machines!

Dude you gotta trigger warning that poo poo!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Vargatron posted:

Dude you gotta trigger warning that poo poo!

Two words... Zebra printers.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

stevewm posted:

Two words... gently caress printers.

FTFY

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Ask me about installing null modems for industrial equipment serial connections

don't

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

stevewm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps0UodUr_pM

me irl rn

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

stevewm posted:

We have hundreds of these of various flavors. Thankfully my responsibility typically stops at carving out blocks of IPs that people get to assign to them. The ones connecting to the AS400 via printer sessions are my personal favorite though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Hey someone else that uses zebra printers and as400! I’m not alone.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

This was my last job and all I had to in that area was deal with print queues on the print server and our warehouse management system and poo poo, nothing with the label formats thankfully. One of my college buddies actually worked an internship with Zebra software QA, which would explain a hell of a lot!

E: seagull scientific drivers for life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

DropsySufferer posted:

I've finally made my way away from basic low level IT jobs.

It's weird because I don't know what to do with the downtime. I'm so used to someone being at my back to be busy or just look busy. Now the unsaid rule is that as long as I deal with my responsibilities no one cares what else I'm doing. I could be posting here all day as long as the job gets done.

I think I have PTSD from past jobs or something it's going take me a while to get used to this...

Word of advice, get yourself a project to work on right now and stick to it in your downtime.

I have spent weeks shitposting, occasionally i look at the network, go "huh, everything is fine" and then i go back to shitposting.

This morning i've pushed out a couple of agents, complained to our internet provider, sent a couple of emails and "specced up" (copy pasted our current NAS specs) some hardware.

I feel like I should learn how to write a game or something but i'm too god drat lazy now that i've hit the shitposting wall.

Also cert chat:

I have some dumbass "i spent 60 minutes shooting the poo poo and passed an email skills course" cert, an expired CCNA and two watchguard firewall certs. Rest of it is 7 years of experience in basically touching networks and occasionally fixing them. I feel like i'm doing ok, i'm not a rockstar though so that's probably going to give me crippling depression at some point.

I guess if I was a rockstar i'd just be mad as gently caress I wasn't no 1 all the time though, so that's a personality thing i guess.