Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, Karen and Elsa being nice, kind girls in real life and hosed-up, sadistic serial killers online is just really funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, Karen and Elsa being nice, kind girls in real life and hosed-up, sadistic serial killers online is just really funny.

Yeah, I think this is the case. This anime/manga definitely seem to be more comedy based than SAO, I don't see any serial killer meme plot happening. Especially after the little girls being amazons in-game reveal.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Really fun episode! I'm glad they did indeed avert any actual trauma with M and it's just him being scared shitless of Pito.

Also it's funny to think of this as a competitive shooter, in which LLENN is saved from multiple killshots by:

a) the hitbox of her model
b) bullets hitting her stored magazines
c) bullets hitting her "Immortal Object" scan terminal
d) bullets hitting her gun
e) Earlier, the immortal object nature of corpses

Can you imagine all the "esports ready" comments people would be making sardonically if one player lightly supported by a sniper managed to wipe out several squads?

On a different note, I'm betting on M being Elsa Kanzaki's brother or the like, since it's a neat explanation for how he knows "Pito's real nature" and can be so scared of her without it being actually dark. Spoiled little sister who's gotten used to walking all over her big brother? Sounds like the best bet to me. Putting an outside bet on being her dad, just in case, but that one seems less likely.

Next episode: Getting back P-chan/Getting a new P-chan?

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Conot posted:

Really fun episode! I'm glad they did indeed avert any actual trauma with M and it's just him being scared shitless of Pito.

Also it's funny to think of this as a competitive shooter, in which LLENN is saved from multiple killshots by:

Can you imagine all the "esports ready" comments people would be making sardonically if one player lightly supported by a sniper managed to wipe out several squads?

On a different note, I'm betting on M being Elsa Kanzaki's brother or the like, since it's a neat explanation for how he knows "Pito's real nature" and can be so scared of her without it being actually dark. Spoiled little sister who's gotten used to walking all over her big brother? Sounds like the best bet to me. Putting an outside bet on being her dad, just in case, but that one seems less likely.

PUBG is the closest you get to this, the pan being an immortal object lmao.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Akumos posted:

PUBG is the closest you get to this, the pan being an immortal object lmao.

The pan is legit lvl. 4 (of 3) armor in that game and they better never change it.

Do we know if GGO is Japan only in the show? Could M be a US player who's just a total nerd in the armed forces or a veteran?

Or I guess he could still just be a bodyguard working for Pito in Japan as other posters said.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Crain posted:

The pan is legit lvl. 4 (of 3) armor in that game and they better never change it.

Do we know if GGO is Japan only in the show? Could M be a US player who's just a total nerd in the armed forces or a veteran?

Or I guess he could still just be a bodyguard working for Pito in Japan as other posters said.

I think they mentioned there being a Japanese server at some point.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Crain posted:

GGO is actually a western game, developed in the US, that was "ported" to Japan. This is mentioned a few times in SAO proper. Though I think Japan is on seperate servers from the US so.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Conot posted:

LLENN: Abnormal Survivor

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Conot posted:

Oh man, I hope M is her dad, that would be adorable.

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!
Finally got around to watching this show, and what a good time to jump in and have a complete arc. And yeah, this series is the perfect mix of low stakes and seriousness that's just been really fun and way better than the "main" SAO series. Primarily due to everyone can be cool and good, not just Kirito.

And as for M, He's gotta be in some sorta S and M relationship with Elsa/Pito right? I mean, it's literally right there in the name, and would explain the freaking out after reading the letter, afraid to disappoint and all that. Plus it'd explain his kind of embarrassed look when LLENN makes a guess about M meaning Mapper. I mean, this is an anime in TYOOL 2018 after all.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Revdomezehis posted:

And as for M, He's gotta be in some sorta S and M relationship with Elsa/Pito right? I mean, it's literally right there in the name, and would explain the freaking out after reading the letter, afraid to disappoint and all that. Plus it'd explain his kind of embarrassed look when LLENN makes a guess about M meaning Mapper. I mean, this is an anime in TYOOL 2018 after all.

If that were the case, you would expect him to be a bit less frightened and a bit more excited by his current predicament.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Spiritus Nox posted:

If that were the case, you would expect him to be a bit less frightened and a bit more excited by his current predicament.

You can like the adrenaline rush of riding a roller coaster while still being terrified of base jumping.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Conot posted:

I was thinking manager for sure.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Eeevil posted:

Combined manager/dad would be an amusing result.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Eeevil posted:

this

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I really doubt any kind of S&M relationship considering Elsa visually appears to be a young girl but it's anime so welp

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
why the heck would you think someone's game avatar would reflect their actual appearance when the basic premise of the show is the exact opposite?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

why the heck would you think someone's game avatar would reflect their actual appearance when the basic premise of the show is the exact opposite?

We see Karen listening to Elsa's music on her phone or something, and there's an image of presumably Elsa on it at the time.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Honestly, they could just end it here, the fifth episode and post-credits scene wrapped up everything so nicely.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ijyt posted:

Honestly, they could just end it here, the fifth episode and post-credits scene wrapped up everything so nicely.

The first volume of pretty much every light novel has an ending like that. It's written that way just in case it bombs so hard that the publishers veto a sequel.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Always have an exit plan.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

chumbler posted:

Always have an exit plan.

Amusing post/avatar combo.

Also I just gunned down (heh) the five episodes after not watching because SAO, and goddamn, I actually enjoyed this. Other than the kind of too tryhard first episode, it's basically what an isekai MMO anime should be, just kind of lightly playing around, no real stakes other than a thirst for victory, and characters that can let themselves be bloodthirsty because hey, it's a game! As someone who has used videogames to take out his anger with his lovely life, I can totally agree with that kind of ideology.

LLENN is very good. M is...good, too. Pitohui is very good too although I really hope the stakes are for show and she's really harmless. The Amazons/little girls that actually like Karen because of her height which was super adorable btw are very good. Goddamn, good characterization and good fights. Even a good end-of-arc five eps in. I feel I watched it at the right time and I'll definitely keep watching.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Elsa is the actual appearance though

Akumos fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 10, 2018

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
lmao
X

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Yeah, that's definitely a recap episode.

There's still a little bit post-credits that's worth watching, but only like a few minutes. It's otherwise all just recap.

Edit: to clarify, it's just some cute goofs, nothing new.

mdct fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 12, 2018

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

what's there to even recap it's literally 5 episodes and they came out on time and sequentially

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

where the red fern gropes posted:

what's there to even recap it's literally 5 episodes and they came out on time and sequentially

Pad for time + TV execs having little faith that viewers can remember a single thing past a few weeks.

See: MHA still having info cards for every character almost every time they show up on screen 3 seasons in, with a full recap episode before each season with minutes long explanations of who the characters are, what their powers are, their backstory, and blood type.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Crain posted:

Pad for time + TV execs having little faith that viewers can remember a single thing past a few weeks.

See: MHA still having info cards for every character almost every time they show up on screen 3 seasons in, with a full recap episode before each season with minutes long explanations of who the characters are, what their powers are, their backstory, and blood type.

To be very slightly fair, MHA at least as a Bigass Shounen Cast that can actually be kind of tough to keep track of.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Worth watching just for the ending.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

To be very slightly fair, MHA at least as a Bigass Shounen Cast that can actually be kind of tough to keep track of.

Eh, it gets silly tho.

Like Ojiro getting a card saying "Quirk: Tail" when he has...a big loving tail as part of his character design.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Crain posted:

Eh, it gets silly tho.

Like Ojiro getting a card saying "Quirk: Tail" when he has...a big loving tail as part of his character design.

That at least lets you know that his quirk is literally just having a tail, and not anything that might not be immediately obvious like Tokoyami's Dark Shadow or something.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

That at least lets you know that his quirk is literally just having a tail, and not anything that might not be immediately obvious like Tokoyami's Dark Shadow or something.

I still don't think it's that hard to keep track of who has what powers, at least for the main crew.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Sometimes I forget Ochako can manipulate gravity because she's so rad in every other way as well.

Like if she has a character flaw it's not manipulating gravity more often.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the info cards are simple eyecatches, there's not really any need to do something more if that production effort could be used on the show

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Helter Skelter posted:

Sometimes I forget Ochako can manipulate gravity because she's so rad in every other way as well.

Like if she has a character flaw it's not manipulating gravity more often.
Vomiting isn't very rad so she tries to avoid it!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Sindai posted:

Vomiting isn't very rad so she tries to avoid it!

Well, no, but sometimes you gotta make sacrifices, and this is ostensibly part of why they were at a training camp in the first place.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

So... should we take Pito saying "Well I'll just sponsor the next one then!" at face value? If she's not just joking I think that confirms that she's the idol.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm alright with the recap since we get Pito commenting on everything and generally being awful. Also I had missed in the first episode that the JSDF or whatever team also didn't have bullet lines.

The true heroes of machine gun team getting the theme music was a good goof.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 13, 2018

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

It gives them time to do more complex sequences without overworking themselves to death.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Also it's apparently been Golden Week which mean none of the kids who watch anime are home to watch it?????

• Locked thread