Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

EGSunBro posted:

Yeah that episode was much heavier than I was ready for from the drip feed of real life the shows had so far. I'm still blown away by this show episode to episode.

if they keep up this level of quality the whole way through, I'll be super impressed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

if they keep up this level of quality the whole way through, I'll be super impressed

The show looks really low budget to me. Don’t get me wrong, it also looks incredible, but I keep noticing a bunch of animation tricks that tell me the budget is tight. I think they’re doing amazing stuff with just a little, so the quality isn’t likely to drop.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah I wouldn't say this is lavishly animated, it just has put its limited resources where they can make the most impact. the music, design work, and direction can carry the show well enough on their own, while every so often you get animation highlights thrown in.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
IIRC, almost every anime production has roughly the same budget. It’s just a question of how you use it and - more importantly - how you use your time, because anime production schedules are brutally fast.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jon Joe posted:

The show looks really low budget to me. Don’t get me wrong, it also looks incredible, but I keep noticing a bunch of animation tricks that tell me the budget is tight. I think they’re doing amazing stuff with just a little, so the quality isn’t likely to drop.

wasn't exactly referring to the animation

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Some very hype punching this time around

Though I am slightly miffed they did actually pull the STANDING UP AT THE COUNT OF NINE thing. It was kinda too obvious they were gonna, to the point where I thought there'd be a subversion and Joe would actually lose this one. Seemed like the more interesting option. Oh well.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Torquemadras posted:

Though I am slightly miffed they did actually pull the STANDING UP AT THE COUNT OF NINE thing. It was kinda too obvious they were gonna, to the point where I thought there'd be a subversion and Joe would actually lose this one. Seemed like the more interesting option. Oh well.

I'm quoting but not reading this spoiler to say: Of course they did that, because it's anime as gently caress.

Also because they made a very sharp point of not showing Joe at all during the count.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Also because the setup means Joe can't really lose, because any loss would mean he'd face a lower card fight in his fourth fight and that even if he won that fight he'd still be unlikely to face a top ranker in his fifth and final match. Which means he wouldn't get in to the Megalobox Championship. Not without a big rear end pull to explain some other top ranked fighter choosing to fight him despite the fact he lost against someone ranked in the high teens.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Also also also, the nine count ending doesn't lead well into the next episode being "ten, done". If Joe was going to lose, the ten would be a stronger cliffhanger, letting the next episode open with wherever they'd go with that.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

tsob posted:

Also because the setup means Joe can't really lose, because any loss would mean he'd face a lower card fight in his fourth fight

This was his fourth fight. :v:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv3ofGRAWqM

not dead yet

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

anyone thinks Yuri will fight the last fight without Gear?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Plutonis posted:

anyone thinks Yuri will fight the last fight without Gear?

doubt it, he's a chained dog and his boss needs him to display the superiority of their tech

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

He's gonna take it off without her permission and it's gonna own

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

My expectations for this anime is that they're always gonna go for the corniest option but they're gonna sell it so hard that you don't care.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

an actual dog posted:

I'd be surprised if this doesn't happen

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

taking it off is also gonna gently caress with him so bad that he definitely dies during or after the fight with joe.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
theres gotta be something that starts to endear us to yuri the same way we were to riikishi soon. the famous water scene / cutting arc is really a big part of what sold joe and riikishi's rivalry and mutual respect. ik we're on an accelerated timeframe here but i'd like to see somehting or other

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

an actual dog posted:

My expectations for this anime is that they're always gonna go for the corniest option but they're gonna sell it so hard that you don't care.

:yeah:

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Does anyone have a gif of pops throwing the table at the tv from episode 5?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

an actual dog posted:

This would be a cop out, imo. Gearless Joe can only achieve true victory when he shows that Yuri's fancy gear ain't poo poo.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

And More posted:

This would be a cop out, imo. Gearless Joe can only achieve true victory when he shows that Yuri's fancy gear ain't poo poo.

i'd honestly expect the other way around. based off the inspiration and whatnot it was yuri/rikiishi that dropped all the weight to fight joe with a handicap,

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
It'd be very strange to take all the class war themes and not have the last fight be the peak of technology and wealth of Yuri and his Owner vs the unarmed non-person Joe

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
yuri is going to have to make a decision about whether or not he's a real boxer or just a pet, and it's way cooler if he decides to tell his owner to gently caress off. i really, really hope that the very end of this show is both men totally broken, with their gear battered beyond repair, take off the gear for the final round & just beat the ever-loving poo poo out of each other.

the core of the story is Joe & Yuri beating the poo poo out of each other because they're Boxers, and that's what Boxers do.

god drat this show loving rules

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

GodFish posted:

It'd be very strange to take all the class war themes and not have the last fight be the peak of technology and wealth of Yuri and his Owner vs the unarmed non-person Joe

It depends how closely this follows the story of the original. While the original had a lot of class conflict themes it was also about the lives of people in postwar Japan, and often times people's actions don't conform to narrative or theme.

I think that Yuri is going to take.off his gear because an even bigger theme here is nostalgia and Joe's nostalgia for old boxing and how he represents a return to that old sport, and the climactic fight being a real brawl without technological assistance is a logical conclusion there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GodFish posted:

That wealth isn’t Yuri’s. He’s not a capitalist, he’s a slave. Why would him taking off his ludicrously expensive Gear and fighting the way he wants to not fit with the class-war themes?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think the way yuri's being presented makes more sense that he'd take off the gear and fight as a regular boxer. he's clearly very interested in joe and there's the obvious caged dog metaphor

unless he's araragi again and the gear is also a medical thing, I think it's a safe bet to say that he'll have a gearless fight with joe

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
That's a good point, the ultimate defeat of the corporations product would be the rejection of it by their star

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

That wealth isn’t Yuri’s. He’s not a capitalist, he’s a slave. Why would him taking off his ludicrously expensive Gear and fighting the way he wants to not fit with the class-war themes?

Not saying it's how things will go, but to me the narrative pattern seems like it would work best if Joe managed to take on Yuri for a round or two partially by exploiting some trick that took advantage of his opponent's gear, then Yuri going gearless.

If they're both fighting gearless from the start, then Joe doesn't get his shot at the system, and we go from the big finale centering on Joe, who's been our lead for the whole show, to being about Yuri's defiance, and we've been given much less reason to care about him. Even if Joe won, it wouldn't be his win.

If Yuri sheds the gear, though, that gives Joe the win even if he loses. The "Average Joe" showed that the people looking down on him can't match him without understanding how things are on his level, and that his style is more "real" than the "real" megalo-boxing he was told he couldn't match.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think it's a little early to decide what meaning the ending is going to have

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i mean in original joe, rikishi wasn't the one who eventually brought him down. we could see megalonia conclude with a win for joe only to have him be beat down by the next hot gear from s-corp

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
joe's gonna die because of the gear disdvantage and everyones gonna be like ok maybe hypercapitalism isnt perfect the end

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

dogsicle posted:

i mean in original joe, rikishi wasn't the one who eventually brought him down.

i so vehemently disagree with this in every way. rikishi beat the joe we knew utterly and completely - both by winning the fight and by dying. joe afterwards is an insanely different man

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i suppose that post is phrased badly, joe just doesn't die fighting him, so having that situation mirrored with yuri dying and joe later dying to another geared boxer wouldn't be out of line

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

tbp posted:

i so vehemently disagree with this in every way. rikishi beat the joe we knew utterly and completely - both by winning the fight and by dying. joe afterwards is an insanely different man

Joe's fall afterwards is probably the best arc I've read in a sports series.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
hey can we maybe not post spoilers for the original manga? Especially considering that they could easily end up being spoilers for this show?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

hey can we maybe not post spoilers for the original manga? Especially considering that they could easily end up being spoilers for this show?

No because it's been 5 decades, you had your time to Joe.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Those who refused to Joe, must suffer the Blow.

Of knowing how the comic that is so old that it is nearing retirement age ended.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

And moreso people comparing and contrasting the classic joe to megalobox is an interesting and valid point of discussion and shouldnt be curtailed because of that.

It's a show that revels in the visual language of the old joe and exploring that should be part of how we talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
How about at least using spoiler tags

• Locked thread