Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

D-Pad posted:

So I read The Inquisition Wars because I wanted to see what the start of 40k writing was like and get into some old lore. gently caress Ian Watson forever and ever. Like is my ebook copy messed up or does it really just abruptly end after 700+ pages when the main character commits suicide by space marine, becomes a webway ghost, and is like "this is my life now" with no resolution to the plot whatsoever.

The writing style was weird and oftentimes jarring but seeing what the lore used to be like was pretty cool. Seriously though, gently caress that ending.

I haven't read Inquisition War but that sounds like the most 40k thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Flashman isn't a "the 70s were a different time" thing. He's supposed to be an absolute monster, he's a stand in for rapacious British imperialism.

It's this. Flashman was a take-down satire of the adventure pulps of the previous generation, and the resurgence of "men's novels" that was coming around in the 70s. It sucks in the rubes who don't get the satire, and operates as a huge nose-thumbing to that clientele.

D-Pad posted:

So I read The Inquisition Wars because I wanted to see what the start of 40k writing was like and get into some old lore. gently caress Ian Watson forever and ever. Like is my ebook copy messed up or does it really just abruptly end after 700+ pages when the main character commits suicide by space marine, becomes a webway ghost, and is like "this is my life now" with no resolution to the plot whatsoever.

The writing style was weird and oftentimes jarring but seeing what the lore used to be like was pretty cool. Seriously though, gently caress that ending.

Sounds like the same way he ended Eye of Terror stories, so it might just be that Mr. Watson ran out of idea space and just killed it.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I like the space marine dildo into the tyrannid anus part and the fist tattoos on the butts of all the aspirants

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

quote:

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
“We’re going in through its anus,” Biff whooped boisterously. Indeed. Indeed.
What else could that puckered sphincter be, in the white bony hull of the vast, gastropoidal alien
vessel?
The leviathan that loomed ahead seemed a cross between a nautilus and an omnivorous, spacefaring
snail. It was the length of a four-K asteroid, and almost as high where its shell spiralled
upward in a circuit of increasingly small osseous chambers. The shell was bleached chalky by aeons
of radiation.
Even as the armoured Fists, tightly packed into a stretched boarding torpedo, stared at the
forward view-screen in its mount of bronze bones, that sphincter pulsed.
It expelled a quick milky cloud, which the torpedo’s sensors assayed as consisting of bitter
liquid dregs, foul gas, and ashy debris—the fart of a leviathan…
“We’re ramming in through its arse!” Indeed.
As were other Fist-packed torpedoes, aimed at other orifices where the alien hull might prove
vulnerable…

dildo of space marines right up the rear end in a top hat

quote:

quote:
quote:
A coccyx of bleached bone jutted into space, bearing the sphincter at its tip like a quartet of
triangular haemorrhoids clutched within bands of livid muscle. Where the heads of these scarlet
protuberances touched, a tiny hole still puffed acidic discharge.
The nose of the torpedo impacted rupturingly in that meatus, wrenching its tissue open, m
burrowing deeper convulsively with thrusts of its jets as the Fists clung to stanchions.
The torpedo rocked as a shaped charge on the nose cone erupted, blasting a passageway ahead.
Swiftly the spring-loaded cone itself petalled open, becoming a fourfold hatch pressing fiercely
against the inner anal walls in the manner of a surgical dilator.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
It's one of my great shames that I actual a paperback copy of that book and have never quite got around to reading yet.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

D-Pad posted:

Ian Watson is the greatest 40k writer if only for Space Marine. My god.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

D-Pad posted:

nope that's exactly how it ends, it's jarring and generally weird

charmingly hosed book though

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Trying to find a paperback of Pariah that doesn't cost me an arm. No luck so far.

I guess Kindle version is the only way to go. Fuuuuck. Not used to reading from a screen.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Stomach the bent pages and grab a copy used from Amazon

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The thing your forgetting is the framing device - the book you read exists in the 40k universe.

Somehow the narrative makes it out of the webway and into the hands of the Inquisitor reading it from the introduction. If it's true. That is, the implied story didn't actually end where ther narrative did. Maybe.

It's the most unreliable of narrators, and might be a direct attempt to undermine the reader's beliefs

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
eh just read space marine, that makes up for everything else

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

moths posted:

The thing your forgetting is the framing device - the book you read exists in the 40k universe.

Somehow the narrative makes it out of the webway and into the hands of the Inquisitor reading it from the introduction. If it's true. That is, the implied story didn't actually end where ther narrative did. Maybe.

It's the most unreliable of narrators, and might be a direct attempt to undermine the reader's beliefs

I thought that was only the first book. He wrote the first book and had it delivered to a higher up in the Inquisition before he went into stasis for 100 years. Maybe I'm wrong. It was certainly an unreliable narrator compounded by a weird writing style.

It's worth reading though just to see what the old lore was like. I am pretty sure it was the first BL book ever released. He goes into the Eye of Terror, sneaks into the emperor's throne room and has a conversation with him, and steals a book from the black library.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 12, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Some possible news about the New Gotrek and Felix Novel. Namely rumors for the Audio Drama that Gotrek is going to be voiced by Brian Blessed.

Edit: Scratch that, it's no longer rumors. Brian Blessed is confirmed to be Gotrek.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 12, 2018

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I really enjoyed the depiction as various fractured psyche that often are at odds with each other. Immensely powerful, but unable to unify that power due to being so close to death and broken by Horus and Chaos. That scene actually plays nicely with the depiction of the Emperor's avatar in one of the Black Legion books where the narrator is passing through....firetide or something and they cross through a beacon of the astromatician and the Emperor appears in a benign form and says like I come to you as the voice, not the Warmaster or something like that and than the main character whose name.i forget banishes him like a normal daemon.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Waroduce posted:

I really enjoyed the depiction as various fractured psyche that often are at odds with each other. Immensely powerful, but unable to unify that power due to being so close to death and broken by Horus and Chaos. That scene actually plays nicely with the depiction of the Emperor's avatar in one of the Black Legion books where the narrator is passing through....firetide or something and they cross through a beacon of the astromatician and the Emperor appears in a benign form and says like I come to you as the voice, not the Warmaster or something like that and than the main character whose name.i forget banishes him like a normal daemon.

That whole bit was super weird as is the plot thread of abbadon staring at the light of the astronomicon so long that his eyes are turned to gold, I honestly am not sure where they are going with all that at all.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I took a bit of a hiatus from Gaunt's Ghost, because I wanted to wait for Warmaster to release before finishing the series, and after avoiding this thread due to possible spoilers, I somehow forgot entirely about warmaster, and ended up getting side-tracked to The Beast Arises.

The first book blows me away, what a loving cool setup, especially since I didn't know anything about the attack moons in the story, so the "reveal" gets me even more stoked for the development of the series, and then the second book...feels like a massive letdown in the first couple of chapters.
They fast forward through all the loving carnage across several sectors that made the first book really cool, and the writing is massively different from Abnett.

Dare i ask, since Abnett doesn't have anymore books in this series it seems: Is the overall series still pretty cool?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I think the general sense is that the Beast Arises series is decent to poor, I have not read any of them though.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Any one else finish Ashes of Prospero?

Did the wolves really just inherit a full heresy era veteran company complete with vehicles and support echelon?

This should be a crazy force multiplier in the 42nd millennium, right?

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
What's the consensus on Joshua Reynolds? I'm interested in reading Lukas the Trickster, but can't say I've read anything from the author before. Or even anything involving the Space Wolves.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Dunno about any consensus but I enjoyed the two Fabius Bile novels he wrote very much, and I'm not particularly fond of chaos marine stories.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Lead Psychiatry posted:

What's the consensus on Joshua Reynolds? I'm interested in reading Lukas the Trickster, but can't say I've read anything from the author before. Or even anything involving the Space Wolves.

I rather enjoyed the Trickster novel. It presented a side of the SW without going all wolfwolfwolfwolf.
Lukas seems to inherit a specific role within the chapter too, and the interactions b/t the Dark Eldar is pretty neat as well.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I'm partway through Warmaster and I am so goddamn confused about Imperial military ranks especially since I was just doing research on them for a campaign. Pretty spoilery question ahead about the book ahead in relation to that.

While I get that his promotion was a Big Deal, I was a little surprised to see such a huge jump. From what I understand, Lord Militant Commander is the highest possible rank in the Guard, meaning you're in charge of the whole organization and you're one of the High Lords of Terra. This can't possibly be intentional, given that his homies spend the next few chapters grooming him for succession. Is this intentional or is this just Abnett fudging things again like with Yoncy?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

PantsOptional posted:

I'm partway through Warmaster and I am so goddamn confused about Imperial military ranks especially since I was just doing research on them for a campaign. Pretty spoilery question ahead about the book ahead in relation to that.

While I get that his promotion was a Big Deal, I was a little surprised to see such a huge jump. From what I understand, Lord Militant Commander is the highest possible rank in the Guard, meaning you're in charge of the whole organization and you're one of the High Lords of Terra. This can't possibly be intentional, given that his homies spend the next few chapters grooming him for succession. Is this intentional or is this just Abnett fudging things again like with Yoncy?

I thought it was just the theater command version of the rank? Sort of like how you have 1, 2, 3 star generals for actual armed force administration 4 star for theater command, and 5 star as overall command. . So Gaunt isn't THE Lord Commander Militant, he's just A Lord Commander Militant

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Okay, never mind, the beast arises is actually pretty okay. Predator pray was a bit of an odd change in pace and writing, but I'm getting into the series. Not sweeping me off my feet, but it's a chill read. There are some plot lines that I'm kinda worried about moving towards predictability, but hell there is only war, yaddayadda

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Abnett has never been particularly good at ranks. For the longest time the default sub-regimental orginisation unit of the Ghosts was the platoon, which was run by anyone from Sergeant to Major in rank. There's also no clear distinction made between officer and NCO roles in the books.

Because TBH few people care.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Yeah, like I said, I wouldn’t normally care if I hadn’t just been looking into that sort of thing. As long as I know it’s just Abnett playing loose with titles I can roll with it.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I think the lack of difference between officer and NCO is because all the actual officers died on Tanith.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Arguably yes, but there's not been any steps taken post-Vervunhive to formalise things and you still have Sergeants and Majors doing the same job. It's just because people don't know or care what the difference is TBH, and explaining it all would be a waste of time and pagespace.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Gonna be in need of a new book soon, are the Horusian War books any good? Or should I read the Ravenor series first? Or dive back into the Heresy line (I think the White Scars are where I left off)?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

susan posted:

Gonna be in need of a new book soon, are the Horusian War books any good? Or should I read the Ravenor series first? Or dive back into the Heresy line (I think the White Scars are where I left off)?

I just read the first Horusian War book. It was good, not great. Second one comes out in July I believe.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

susan posted:

Ravenor is a no-brainer if you haven't read it

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Ravenor is a no-brainer if you haven't read it

Holy poo poo, are there Ravenor Omnibus books out there that don't cost $250 on Amazon?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I care a whole lot about ranks and organization and it was majorly triggering that the only ranks in the Ghost was trooper, sergeant, captain, major and colonel.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'm about a third into The Emperor Expects, and I've just encountered a "twelfth lieutenant" which made me laugh

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Biplane posted:

I care a whole lot about ranks and organization and it was majorly triggering that the only ranks in the Ghost was trooper, sergeant, captain, major and colonel.

To be fair, the guard is a "throw guys at it until it gets tired enough for us to walk up and stab it to death" force, so they don't need a complex ranking system, especially in the non-officer echelons. Anyone who survives long enough becomes a sergeant.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Biplane posted:

If you want to get even more :argh: about it, "Trooper" is a rank which should only be applied to cavalry units.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

susan posted:

Holy poo poo, are there Ravenor Omnibus books out there that don't cost $250 on Amazon?

They just reprinted them all individually. You could probably grab all three for under $30

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I just made it through the part in The Black Legion where Abaddon kills Sigismund. That scene and Abaddon’s reaction to his death in the aftermath was very possibly my favorite section of any bit of Black Library fiction I’ve read. I don’t want to go too deeply into it in case I spoil it for other people who haven’t read the book but it did a tremendous job of adding depth to both characters.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

susan posted:

If ebooks are workable, the Black library site has the Ravenor omnibus for $24.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Lead Psychiatry posted:

No idea about his 40K stuff, but he's probably the best writer of the Age of Sigmar bunch and Plague Garden basically single-highhandedly convinced me that actually Sigmarines can be pretty awesome in the right hands.