Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lives with mom, collects knives, only uses the original Japanese.

He's a weaboo. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Yuns posted:

No anime. John isn't a weeaboo. He is only interested in judo (maybe knives too) with respect to Japan. Anyone who thinks he is a weeaboo is projecting.

He's a weeaboo insofar as he prefers japanese terms to english ones. Just according to Keikaku*.

Translator's note: Keikaku means plan.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

It's kinda weebie to use Japanese names for positions and moves that have basically a literal English translation in the same way that it's weebie to create an entire system and make up names like "stoner control" etc. Also calling your students Senpai and Kohai is loving lol

But from what I have seen of John I truly appreciate his eloquence and analytical approach.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How is being a stoner using stoner lingo weebie?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
He lives alone. His family is in NZ. Where did "he lives with his mom" come from?

Yuns fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 15, 2018

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was going off the mom bit from earlier. Also we're just joking around. Don't ask to meet me on the mat and say you wanna fight me sir. :smith:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
John's not a weeaboo :colbert: though he is a possible serial killer. If he ever gets arrested for serial killing, all of his students will say, "We totally suspected it" in our interviews.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Yuns posted:

John's not a weeaboo :colbert: though he is a possible serial killer. If he ever gets arrested for serial killing, all of his students will say, "We totally suspected it" in our interviews.

"he was so good at leg locks, no sane individual would be!"

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yuns posted:

Expand on this

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well you see he has a huge coffee table book all about serial killers he carries with him as a conversation piece.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

JaySB posted:

Expand on this

Have you heard him speak?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I can get behind using the Japanese terms for some things. I've taken to using Sangaku a bit so I don't have to say "leg triangle" vs "arm triangle." I also like "juji gatame" and "ude gatame" when I need to specify those particular arm bars vs other variations. That doesn't a weeb make.

Adult sword ownership, however....

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I wish somebody would come up with a naming convention for positions that makes sense. It'd have to have flexibility built into it to deal with metagame changes.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I wish somebody would come up with a naming convention for positions that makes sense. It'd have to have flexibility built into it to deal with metagame changes.

That could happen. A lot of 10th planet terms have stuck just because nobody else committed to names. We don't have to let a paranoid stoner name everything if someone else would just step up and do it first. Others roll their eyes and make fun of his names, but they gotta accept some responsibility for leaving it up to Eddie Bravo.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Drewjitsu posted:

"he was so good at leg locks, no sane individual would be!"

*In a basement laying in a pile of cut in half lower bodies scissoring and spinning frantically*

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

*In a basement laying in a pile of cut in half lower bodies scissoring and spinning frantically*

Shoot, if I had a supply of corpses instead of complaining white/blue belts I'd be really good at leg locks too.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

John's knife thing is mostly custom made knives from American master knifemakers like bowie knives and stuff. He has knives from a ton of the top American knifemakers. He awards custom knives for excellence in competition.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

im not a weeb. here is a finely crafted blade of folded steel for your excellent senkaku senpai gordon

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I like to have my room arranged in such a way that the first and last thing I see every day—when I wake in the morning, when I go to sleep at night—are my blades next to me.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yuns posted:

John's knife thing is mostly custom made knives from American master knifemakers like bowie knives and stuff. He has knives from a ton of the top American knifemakers. He awards custom knives for excellence in competition.

So he's got like a room full of Kramer knives?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Yuns posted:

He awards custom knives for excellence in competition.

lol

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

But from what I have seen of John I truly appreciate his eloquence and analytical approach.

This. If anything else the guy is totally understandable even to stupid people like me that have to have watch things three times. With him its usually just once.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Is there a sweep that you guys find effective for breaking the stale mate of someone sitting in your guard with good posture and just sort of doing nothing? I had a five minute roll with a guy who did this and couldn't off base him or get any offense going and I couldn't land a scissor or flower because he just sort of sat back on his haunches.

I'm bad too so maybe execution is the problem.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Sit up sweep, then go for the kimura?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

flashman posted:

Is there a sweep that you guys find effective for breaking the stale mate of someone sitting in your guard with good posture and just sort of doing nothing? I had a five minute roll with a guy who did this and couldn't off base him or get any offense going and I couldn't land a scissor or flower because he just sort of sat back on his haunches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY5eGjpGxAk

I think I learned this one as the hip bump sweep.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

flashman posted:

Scissor him? :naughty:

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Kick him away vigorously when he postures up, spring up to your feet and flying triangle him. Works wonders.

Also, why doesn't anyone want to roll with me?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

flashman posted:

I get really impatient with full guard, and I'll often intentionally switch it to half guard or knee shield just so I can create the angles I want.

In related news I had my first rolls today since the broken rib - just positional start rolls, and just four times through, but it went well and I feel good!

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

flashman posted:

Listen to Roger. He knows what's up:
https://www.flograppling.com/training?q=roger&playing=5629183

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
I'd be interested in watching an alternative that's not behind the flograppling paywall

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

old.flv posted:

I'd be interested in watching an alternative that's not behind the flograppling paywall

Whoops, didn't realize it was content restricted.

Conceptually this video is pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDnr6NYImck

Simply put, don't let them get posture.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

:shrug:

edit

oh now it shows up - of course

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Gd Roger is so good

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spb posted:

Gd Roger is so good

It's kinda stupid but that video really changed the way I view and play closed guard. He's the goat for sure. There's a really good video he has on Flo about attacking turtle too.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Heavyweight judo is stupid as hell now with the new IJF rules. Everyone I fight now just does a half rear end throw then attempts to crush you with a hold-down for 10 seconds. The only reason it works is that most heavyweight newaza is stall tactics until the ref breaks for inactivity. There is no purpose for throwing ippon in Heavyweight anymore when everyone just keeps doing this poo poo every god drat match.

It really makes me want to go down to -100kg because this is getting frustrating as hell.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Heavyweight judo is stupid as hell now with the new IJF rules. Everyone I fight now just does a half rear end throw then attempts to crush you with a hold-down for 10 seconds. The only reason it works is that most heavyweight newaza is stall tactics until the ref breaks for inactivity. There is no purpose for throwing ippon in Heavyweight anymore when everyone just keeps doing this poo poo every god drat match.

It really makes me want to go down to -100kg because this is getting frustrating as hell.

How are the new rules creating this environment?

(In the last heavyweight regional bouts I watched, both fighters gassed out after a minute and they were still gassed for the next bout.)

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

JaySB posted:

It's kinda stupid but that video really changed the way I view and play closed guard. He's the goat for sure. There's a really good video he has on Flo about attacking turtle too.

What's the name of the video? I'm curious now and maybe I can find it outside of Flo.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

old.flv posted:

What's the name of the video? I'm curious now and maybe I can find it outside of Flo.

Master Class: Roger Gracie Teaches The Best Closed Guard In The World

Good luck.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

JaySB posted:

Master Class: Roger Gracie Teaches The Best Closed Guard In The World

Good luck.

thanks, I was able to watch it - interesting that he shows the shoulder jump position near the end

I was training in Chicago a couple years back and the instructor demonstrated this during the technique portion and I said "hey pretty cool that's a Roger move - where did you pick it up?" - he just gave me a blank stare and replied that he was actually a black belt under Roger. Lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

CommonShore posted:

How are the new rules creating this environment?

(In the last heavyweight regional bouts I watched, both fighters gassed out after a minute and they were still gassed for the next bout.)

Ever since Waza-ari became the new Yuko. In training, everyone who is heavyweight just keeps doing Waza-ari throws into nawaza and attempting to do holddowns for 10 seconds. I guess I am venting more about how my training partners have gotten lazy since our Champion Heavyweight has been coming in less to inspire the other guys to keep trying to improve. I just feel like I am plateauing right now because my training partners are not proving a challenge or consistently improving. I might as well hit the gym more often than go to Judo right now for all the good it is doing me right now.