Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

crazypeltast52 posted:

A while back I bid a tile job at a local country club that had one sheet saying $$$ tile in bathroom A and $$ tile in bathroom B on one sheet, but it was flipped on another sheet.

I won the job because I had put the $$$ tile in the smaller bathroom, and then at a meeting they talked like it was the other way around. I had to check my proposal because I specced exactly which tile went to which room, so the GC and architect had to explain the change order instead of me screwing that one up.

Feeling so triggered right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

wesleywillis posted:

So you're saying I should have at least five attachment points for a chick who is at least 1000 pounds?
Should I use eye bolts with washer/lock nuts on top? Or should I use a steel plate that is bolted at say, four corners, and then a welded hook coming down at each of the five points?

Do they make sex swings with that much capacity, or should I go to Fastenal or other industrial supply store and get some nylon lifting slings?

Look there are way too many factors in play here, the real solution is to just look outside the box for an engineered solution

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We put in a bid for a job, if there's ever any confusion we'll ask rather than make assumptions in our favour, so we asked some questions. They answered and said they were great questions and they really should have clarified what they wanted better. Because we asked directly we quoted them the more expensive high-end product. We lost the bid because someone else didn't ask, quoted a price based on the cheapest garbage product, and the people at the top only looked at the total price.

Couple months later we get called in to replace their garbage with our nice stuff because everyone was surprised the stuff the low-ball company installed was nothing like the nice stuff we showed them. People are bad at communicating.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

^^^ So much truth in that post my whole face went numb.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I didn’t intentionally low ball, it was just the way I read the plans, and I had a very specific proposal that covered me when we actually discussed the plans.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Like the saying goes, if you think a good contractor is expensive, wait until you hire a bad one.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Like the saying goes, if you think a good contractor is expensive, wait until you hire a bad one.

I'm having flashbacks to that idiot who bought a crack den, did extensive research into contractors for the renovation, and then went with some dude who wandered into his yard and promise to do the whole thing for like half the price of anyone else he'd looked at.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

there wolf posted:

I'm having flashbacks to that idiot who bought a crack den, did extensive research into contractors for the renovation, and then went with some dude who wandered into his yard and promise to do the whole thing for like half the price of anyone else he'd looked at.

Oh god I remember that story, I wish I could find the link again. Was is on the forums or offsite?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Baronjutter posted:

We put in a bid for a job, if there's ever any confusion we'll ask rather than make assumptions in our favour, so we asked some questions. They answered and said they were great questions and they really should have clarified what they wanted better. Because we asked directly we quoted them the more expensive high-end product. We lost the bid because someone else didn't ask, quoted a price based on the cheapest garbage product, and the people at the top only looked at the total price.

Couple months later we get called in to replace their garbage with our nice stuff because everyone was surprised the stuff the low-ball company installed was nothing like the nice stuff we showed them. People are bad at communicating.

Bidders meetings with an open rfi process are good

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

FCKGW posted:

Oh god I remember that story, I wish I could find the link again. Was is on the forums or offsite?

It was off site in some magazine, definitely in Canada but I can't remember if it was around Toronto or Vancouver

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

brugroffil posted:

It was off site in some magazine, definitely in Canada but I can't remember if it was around Toronto or Vancouver

there wolf posted:

is this it?

https://torontolife.com/real-estate/parkdale-reno-hell/

I'm starting to read it and it's amazing. :barf:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Lol yes

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

Do they make sex swings with that much capacity, or should I go to Fastenal or other industrial supply store and get some nylon lifting slings?

Engine hoist.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Jaded Burnout posted:

Engine hoist.

I was thinking a bariatric patient lift, aka, an expensive white engine hoist.

https://avacaremedical.com/bariatric-electric-patient-lift-with-4-point-cradle

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

is this it?

Julian had just finished his PhD in education and was teaching part-time at Humber; I was an editor for the Food Network’s website and preparing to go on maternity leave....

Our budget was $560,000

What.. the.. gently caress? How can a part-time teacher and an editor about to go on leave have a budget of over half a million dollars? I'm not good enough at math to make this work in my head at all.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Finally, in May 2011, the permits came through. Julian consulted his spreadsheet of contractors and narrowed it down to three candidates. He went outside to mull over his choices. That’s when a man pulled up on his 10-speed bicycle and started chatting with Julian. His name was Robert. He was in his 50s, wore a short-sleeved plaid shirt, jean cut-offs, a rumpled hat and white running shoes. He was missing a few key teeth and didn’t like wearing socks or, as he later informed us, underwear. Robert didn’t own a car and spent his time collecting stray pieces of metal, wood and other junk he’d find on the street. Yet, despite his alarming appearance, he was charming and knowledgeable. He told Julian that he had a degree in structural engineering, and he proposed sensible ideas, like adding skylights to the attic and relocating the furnace to create space for a two-bedroom basement suite. Hey, he said, I could do it myself. Julian wasn’t so sure. Then Robert mentioned he was cheap—only $35 an hour. The next day, Julian checked Robert’s references, which were neither glowing nor damning. We hired him, figuring we could always replace him if things didn’t go well.

Robert started the next day. The first step was to underpin the basement, which required digging it out from the inside. Julian biked over to check on the progress and discovered that our front porch was gone.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I think about that last line a lot

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
We remortgaged the condo, freeing up $260,000, the maximum the bank would lend us.

America.txt

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

We remortgaged the condo, freeing up $260,000, the maximum the bank would lend us.

America.txt

You mean Canada.txt

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

America.txt

Canada.rtf

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

SubponticatePoster posted:

Do you have stairs a poorly-supported sex swing in your house?

*looks around for pumper-bot*

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I hate everything in that article

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

is this it?

I dug up where it got posted the first time entirely to find the follow-up about their next imprudent real estate purchase

COOL CORN posted:

My partner showed me that the same couple bought a fixer upper cottage, and the writing is INSUFFERABLE.

http://cottagelife.com/realestate/the-story-of-how-one-young-family-found-their-dream-cottage-for-59000

They impulse bought a $59k cottage after spending over a million on their "city home", and they have the audacity to complain about being strapped for cash.

My ire is boundless right now.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

StormDrain posted:

Canada.rtf

Canada-Housing-BubbleThatNoOneWantsToTalkAbout (FINALCOPY)2.rtf

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I hate that couple so much because they dig themselves into a literal pit of bad decisions and stupidity, and then they waltz right out of it because his godfather shows up and doesn't have an issue with lending these idiots $300k.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ashcans posted:

I hate that couple so much because they dig themselves into a literal pit of bad decisions and stupidity, and then they waltz right out of it because his godfather shows up and doesn't have an issue with lending these idiots $300k.

Eat the rich.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

At first you're like "wow what a nightmare" :ohdear: and then you keep reading and it's just rich fucks trying to be cheapskates and loving up everything they touch only to get bailed out by an even richer gently caress and proceed to gently caress up even more stuff.

:thermidor: :thermidor: :thermidor:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

The Locator posted:

Julian had just finished his PhD in education and was teaching part-time at Humber; I was an editor for the Food Network’s website and preparing to go on maternity leave....

Our budget was $560,000

What.. the.. gently caress? How can a part-time teacher and an editor about to go on leave have a budget of over half a million dollars? I'm not good enough at math to make this work in my head at all.

Canada is about to have the kind of housing crash the US had last decade, if that helps you understand.

Lenders, man. Lenders.

Also a decade of people in China offshoring their money by buying (mostly condo) property in Canada.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Locator posted:

Our budget was $560,000

To be fair, that's Canadian $$, so, about, what $50,000 US?
I'm joking. I'm just as :wtf: :stare: as you.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This has some good pictures about hosed up structural issues

https://imgur.com/gallery/xaUekm1

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ashcans posted:

Yeah, I hate them too, they're a couple of children. They buy a rat-infested flip, they buy a cottage on impulse, and they buy a crack den without even looking at it? gently caress them.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

The Locator posted:

Our budget was $560,000

https://twitter.com/housebudgets?lang=en

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ashcans posted:

I can't even finish this article because it pisses me off too much. You bought a crack house in the middle of a crack neighborhood from slumlords. What the gently caress did you think would happen? Whole Foods is gonna see that some rich white people moved in and immediately set up a jamba juice next door?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Yawgmoth posted:

I can't even finish this article because it pisses me off too much. You bought a crack house in the middle of a crack neighborhood from slumlords. What the gently caress did you think would happen? Whole Foods is gonna see that some rich white people moved in and immediately set up a jamba juice next door?

This is basically what is going on in the Kensington area of Philadelphia right now, only substitute "crack" with "fentanyl cut poorly to pose as heroin."

What baffles me is that they were wooed by some dipshit who cruised by on a bike and offered an absurdly low rate for a critical position. What a bunch of imbeciles. Of course they had a relative on hand to loan them enormous amounts of money to fix their fuckup, and they probably still look around and smugly assert that they managed to start the neighborhood's gentrification on their own.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

bike man is a modern day robin hood

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

tetrapyloctomy posted:

This is basically what is going on in the Kensington area of Philadelphia right now, only substitute "crack" with "fentanyl cut poorly to pose as heroin."

What baffles me is that they were wooed by some dipshit who cruised by on a bike and offered an absurdly low rate for a critical position. What a bunch of imbeciles. Of course they had a relative on hand to loan them enormous amounts of money to fix their fuckup, and they probably still look around and smugly assert that they managed to start the neighborhood's gentrification on their own.

"Rich-rear end White People" is the issue. They're used to living in an environment where everyone they encounter has been vetted already, so the worst they'll run into is someone buying mountains of cocaine on the side.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

FCKGW posted:

bike man is a modern day robin hood

"Comes in, lowballs prices, fucks things up, and tries to leverage for more money even though he's made more problems than he's solved" isn't a modern-day Robin Hood, it's just ... a regular contractor, near as I can tell from a lot of threads here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

"Comes in, lowballs prices, fucks things up, and tries to leverage for more money even though he's made more problems than he's solved" isn't a modern-day Robin Hood, it's just ... a regular contractor, near as I can tell from a lot of threads here.

This is like a spike to my heart.