Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

But he pales next to OutlawVern

If I judge things based on what is or isn't Outlaw Vern I'd only be able to enjoy one thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

YESSS glad to see this one get some love. It's on Netflix often under the Kill Zone 2 name if people haven't seen it yet.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Neo Rasa posted:

YESSS glad to see this one get some love. It's on Netflix often under the Kill Zone 2 name if people haven't seen it yet.

The fight in the third act is loving wild.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The whole thing is loving wild, it's one of the best action movies of the last 5 years and has a great Hong Kong sensibility to go with it

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

Keanu was fantastic in Street Kings and I wish that movie got more love.

Street Kings is fantastic! I'm a huge James Ellroy fanboy, and he wrote it, David Ayer directed it (say what you will about Suicide Squad and that orc movie I haven't seen, but he's made some good stuff), and the cast is excellent: Keanu, Forest Whitaker, Hugh Laurie, Chris Evans before he was a star, Terry Crews, Common, John Corbett, and Sucre from Prison Break. It's one of those "compulsively watchable" movies -- the kind that plays regularly on TNT, that you'll watch even with commercial breaks and edited content, even though you've seen it several times, even if you own it on DVD.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 15, 2018

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Street Kings is fantastic! I'm a huge James Ellroy fanboy, and he wrote it, David Ayer directed it (say what you will about Suicide Squad and that orc movie I haven't seen, but he's made some good stuff), and the cast is excellent: Keanu, Forest Whitaker, Hugh Laurie, Chris Evans before he was a star, Terry Crews, Common, John Corbett, and Sucre from Prison Break. It's one of those "compulsively watchable" movies -- the kind that show regularly on TNT, that you'll watch even with commercial breaks and edited content, even though you've seen it several times, even if you own it on DVD.

Someone pointed out a cool bit where some dude is running at Keanu, firing from the hip, while Keanu takes a moment, aims, and takes him out
It was a great shorthand way to communicate why the hero won the gunfight, instead of it just happening.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Yes, when you describe things that aren't in the movie, it does sound very silly

https://imgur.com/a/eDOEWvk

SimonCat fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 15, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

If you promise a "Nazi monkey" you better bring something to the table besides "monkey see monkey do"

Edit: The actual silly thing about that scene is the confused Nazi returning the salute to a drat monkey, and it's played for laughs. Raiders has the sensibility of a modern blockbuster, just consider this exchange and think about how easily it could come out of the mouth of Tony Stark:

Jones: Meet me at Omar's. Be ready for me. I'm going after that truck.
Sallah: How?
Jones (annoyed): I don't know, I'm making this up as I go.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 15, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

folks,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiHiW4N7-bo

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's almost as if Spielberg invented what we consider today to be the modern blockbuster, and Raiders of the Lost Ark was a huge part of it!

Seriously though, Harrison Ford is a once in a lifetime actor and the people who make blockbusters are constantly trying to find someone that fits that template but it rarely works.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hell yes.

Also lol weakest load bearing column ever at 00:52s. :3

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

I need this. Mission Impossible plots may be iffy, but, man, those stunts.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

I need this. Mission Impossible plots may be iffy, but, man, those stunts.

Plus Cavill looks like he's going to steal the movie, his character looks ridiculous.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

It's almost as if Spielberg invented what we consider today to be the modern blockbuster, and Raiders of the Lost Ark was a huge part of it!

Seriously though, Harrison Ford is a once in a lifetime actor and the people who make blockbusters are constantly trying to find someone that fits that template but it rarely works.

I've been watching a bit of MacGyver lately (the original show from the 80s) and I'm constantly struck by how - and I remember feeling the same way when I binged SG-1 a number of years ago - if Lucas had decided, "Let's do a Han Solo/Indiana Jones tv show!" in the 80s or 90s, Richard Dean Anderson would've been great for it. I don't know why, but there's just something about him that reminds me of Harrison Ford.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Basebf555 posted:

Plus Cavill looks like he's going to steal the movie, his character looks ridiculous.

The charisma is coming from inside the mustache!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've been watching a bit of MacGyver lately (the original show from the 80s) and I'm constantly struck by how - and I remember feeling the same way when I binged SG-1 a number of years ago - if Lucas had decided, "Let's do a Han Solo/Indiana Jones tv show!" in the 80s or 90s, Richard Dean Anderson would've been great for it. I don't know why, but there's just something about him that reminds me of Harrison Ford.

I definitely think if Richard Dean Anderson had been cast as the lead in a big successful blockbuster he'd have knocked it out of the park and his career would've been totally different. Sadly it never happened for him.

Same goes for Bruce Campbell, who basically did do a Indiana Jones knockoff show and it was really good. Effortless charisma.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

Seriously though, Harrison Ford is a once in a lifetime actor

I watch Raiders of the Lost Ark every couple of years and the thing I've come to appreciate about Ford's performance is how well he does expressions during the action scenes.

Like in the truck chase when the lead Nazi is punching him in his bullet wound, he looks absolutely miserable and in agony. When he knocks the motorcycle off the road he gives this impish smile. When he gets back into the truck after being dragged he looks murderously pissed off.

There's really two types of action heroes, there's the Arnies and the Donnie Yens and the Keanus and the Steven Seagals who kind of maintain this aura of calm around them, like it's just another day at the office, and then there's the Ford/Bruce Willis as John McClaine/Jackie Chan school where the dudes look like they have to work themselves up into fighting back (Iko Uwais is kind of a cross over). I find the latter more compelling, as a rule.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Richard Dean Anderson owns. :hfive:

He has Ford's ability to deliver that Solo/Jones fronting of like, been there and done that, maybe next time assholes level of being in controlness while simultaneously being worried he's about to die. I think that really is hard to do without just coming off like an idiot or an rear end in a top hat.

Like that point in Temple of Doom where Fords barking orders at Kate Capshaw on how to reverse the spike trap and at the very end as she hesitates he's just like super commandingly like WILLIE!!! WE!!! ARE GOING!!! TO DIE!!! but with that huge terrified frown right after. Or his perfect "oh poo poo" delivery before he cuts the bridge at the end.

I think the stories they're in help too though, like so much of MacGuyver really does hinge on that type of character since his entire thing is getting captured/in some crazy situation and having to calmly improvise a way out while knowing he/his friends/whoever are gonna get killed in like ten seconds if he doesn't.

There's a MacGuyver episode where it just cold opens with him trapped in a pendulum and like, obviously MacGuyver isn't about to get split open by a pendulum in his own show on ABC in the 80s/early 90s but he still sells it while perfectly squirming just right to gradually slow down and jam the blade on his belt buckle.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I watch Raiders of the Lost Ark every couple of years and the thing I've come to appreciate about Ford's performance is how well he does expressions during the action scenes.

Like in the truck chase when the lead Nazi is punching him in his bullet wound, he looks absolutely miserable and in agony. When he knocks the motorcycle off the road he gives this impish smile. When he gets back into the truck after being dragged he looks murderously pissed off.

There's really two types of action heroes, there's the Arnies and the Donnie Yens and the Keanus and the Steven Seagals who kind of maintain this aura of calm around them, like it's just another day at the office, and then there's the Ford/Bruce Willis as John McClaine/Jackie Chan school where the dudes look like they have to work themselves up into fighting back (Iko Uwais is kind of a cross over). I find the latter more compelling, as a rule.

I think a lot of that has to do with the origins of the performer. Like Ford is an actor first and foremost. Chan takes a lot of influence from Peking Opera with his broad facial expressions. Those are dudes who understand that how you emote is just as vital to physical storytelling as how many punches you land in a fight scene. Compare that to Seagal who was gimmicked into the business on his martial arts rep, and you have a lead who rarely shows any kind of emotion and instead tries to establish all of his character work through his impeccable fighting skills. Which, specifically in Seagal’s case, just proves to be boring because it doesn’t allow for stakes.

Comparatively, the chase scene in Raiders sucks for Jones, and you read it clearly on his face and body language. But that’s what makes it engaging and gives it tension.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

That's a good point.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's really just two different flavors of action, totally depends on my mood. Sometimes I'm in the mood to watch a hero get the poo poo kicked out of him but persevere, other times I want to watch the hero mow through 100 guys without breaking a sweat. Sometimes I want the airfield fight in Raiders, other times I want Donnie Yen vs. 10 Japanese guys.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sometimes you want to see a ninja and sometimes you want to see 100 ninja.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Oh I love Donnie Yen. I'm not degenerating the cool badass thing at all.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Oh I love Donnie Yen. I'm not degenerating the cool badass thing at all.

Not saying that at all, just seconding your post really. There's definitely two very different types of action hero.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Neither am I. But I don’t think it’s unteasonable to say that the amount of stoicism vs vulnerability you see in an action scene is often directly related to the professional background of the lead.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

Neither am I. But I don’t think it’s unteasonable to say that the amount of stoicism vs vulnerability you see in an action scene is often directly related to the professional background of the lead.

Definitely, stoicism is often used as a crutch in the action genre. See: Gina Carano in Haywire for a case where it actually works and a lovely actress is (mostly)successfully sold as an action hero.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Oh man that might actually be the perfect example.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

He has just the right balance of charm, self effacement, growling authority and determination. I've been watching Stargate for the first time, and it is impressive how much he anchors that show. Everyone on it is pretty good, but he has that perfect balance that a successful sci fi tv show lead needs. Like Boxleitner on Babylon 5.

Fart City posted:

Comparatively, the chase scene in Raiders sucks for Jones, and you read it clearly on his face and body language. But that’s what makes it engaging and gives it tension.

By the same token, that mall fight at the end of Police Story partially works because of how much you feel Chan's exhaustion, desperation and anger as the fight progresses.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ford has amazing expressions in action scenes that perfectly capture the actual awkward faces made during real physical exertion that you generally don't see outside of sports slow-mo. He's a bad-rear end but he never loses the relatable human vulnerability because of it. If it were even a shade goofier it wouldn't work and his characters would be farcical.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

He has just the right balance of charm, self effacement, growling authority and determination. I've been watching Stargate for the first time, and it is impressive how much he anchors that show. Everyone on it is pretty good, but he has that perfect balance that a successful sci fi tv show lead needs. Like Boxleitner on Babylon 5.

Boxleitner on B5 always reminded me of Martin Sheen in The West Wing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Feels like I've seen the first trailer years ago. I'd normally complain about milking the franchise but with so few decent action movies coming out nowadays, this is great news.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

but with so few decent action movies coming out nowadays

What is this nonsense? In 2017 I saw Baahubali 2, Resident Evil: The Final Chapter, The Villainess, Blade of the Immortal, Atomic Blonde, Paradox, John Wick 2, The Last Jedi, Brawl in Cell Block 99, Logan, Manhunt, Wolf Warrior 2, Baby Driver, Savage Dog, Fate of the Furious, Ghost in the Shell. That's a lot of action and I enjoyed almost all of them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
People itt definitely need to check out Baahubali and the sequel(Netflix). Don't go in expecting The Raid or anything but if you can handle some typical Bollywood stuff you'll get some of the most baffling and ridiculous action scenes ever put to film.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

People itt definitely need to check out Baahubali and the sequel(Netflix). Don't go in expecting The Raid or anything but if you can handle some typical Bollywood stuff you'll get some of the most baffling and ridiculous action scenes ever put to film.

Baahubali is the best superhero spectacle type action movie and the song and dance bits are great. The CG isn't Hollywood-level quality but what they do with it is amazing and much more imaginative. It was very disappointing hearing about it just a bit too late to catch it in the theater. Unfortunately Netflix doesn't have the original Telugu audio, I think the Tamil dub is supposed to be closest.

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 17, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I actually work with a guy from Malaysia who initially told me about Baahubali, and yea he said that the better version is the Tamil one.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Don't even try to tell me that GotG wouldn't have been better with actual dance-fights.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the name of that Tamil (?) movie where the hero fights all these oiled, moustachioed men in a gym and at one point they surround him and all start flexing their pectorals in unison?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

Don't even try to tell me that GotG wouldn't have been better with actual dance-fights.

On the other hand...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeIL2H_ODPc
(don't click this if you are actually going to watch the movie because it's from the end even though it's not really a spoiler)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's the name of that Tamil (?) movie where the hero fights all these oiled, moustachioed men in a gym and at one point they surround him and all start flexing their pectorals in unison?

Dance Dance Karnov: The Movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I know fight scenes are often sped up in action movies so they look quicker and deadlier. How much do they speed them up though? 5-10%? Just wondering, no reason.