Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

MetaJew posted:

There are several trusses on either side of the wall that run the same span, unsupported which was how he described it to me. I also have a letter from him with his PE stamp so I think I can trust his assessment.

I will have to go up into the attic to look at how the wall is positioned again, relative to the truss, but if it is indeed below it, I'm not sure if I understand your suggestion. Could you do a quicky MS paint drawing?

Here is a photo of the wall:

Ok then, if they're on either side you don't have to worry about the column suddenly becoming load-bearing then? Just scab it to the truss joists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

That Works posted:

If there isn't a more practical decorative option (in my earlier reply) , would dowel joints be no good here? Just kinda got nice long clean lines down the sides and having a buncha nails being quite visible in two horizontal lines would look kinda gross vs the rest of the piece. Not really sure what I can do to make that either invisible or do to make it look better.

Are you aware of cut nails from Tremont (repacked by bt&c as well) or the French forged nails carried by Lee valley and lie Nielsen? If you are aware and just don't like the aesthetic that's fine, I just want to check.

If you don't want to use nails, maybe use a different design than a 6-board chest, as it is a design that takes advantage of and relies on the flexible properties of nails. If you want smooth and nothing visible maybe you could use pocket screws from the inside? If you want smooth but visible joinery then redesign the project so you can have a dovetailed carcass.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GEMorris posted:

Are you aware of cut nails from Tremont (repacked by bt&c as well) or the French forged nails carried by Lee valley and lie Nielsen? If you are aware and just don't like the aesthetic that's fine, I just want to check.

If you don't want to use nails, maybe use a different design than a 6-board chest, as it is a design that takes advantage of and relies on the flexible properties of nails. If you want smooth and nothing visible maybe you could use pocket screws from the inside? If you want smooth but visible joinery then redesign the project so you can have a dovetailed carcass.

Yeah am aware of those, its more or less the color and texture, big dark protruding spots on a very lightly colored piece, just seems it would stick out like a sore thumb.

You're right about the joinery though, maybe if I can find some brass headed nails or just go with an overall darker staining scheme on it then the cut nails would look good with that I bet.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Or do decorations around the heads to draw attention instead of trying to hide them.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Personally I think the French forged nails look amazing but that's my
a e s t h e t i c

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GEMorris posted:

Personally I think the French forged nails look amazing but that's my
a e s t h e t i c

Oh yeah they definitely look neat, but was kinda envisioning this as a just a linseed oil coat on the light pine color and having 2 rows of black big headed nails would stand out as kind of odd in relation to the rest of the cabinet. If I go with a darker stain though....

I will probably play around with some finishes on some scrap and see if one stands out, in that case I'd have no reservation using those nails.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Neighbors house got torn down.
Backyard is full of debris wood

What do y’all make of that? Worth carting six feet into my house and removing all the nails from? There’s like uhhhh an entire rowhome worth of whatever this wood is, in various sizes, some 2x4, some 1x12, some absolute massive loving like 6x10x12’ers

But they’ve been sitting out in the rain for a while and they’re all full of nails and I’m not even sure what kind of wood they are

Edit:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Mr. Mambold posted:

Ok then, if they're on either side you don't have to worry about the column suddenly becoming load-bearing then? Just scab it to the truss joists.

Like I said, the structural engineer warned me that if I left the column such that the truss was loading it, there was risk that it would seesaw and lead to cracks in the ceiling down the line, along the length of the truss.. Now, if I were to I guess entirely remove the framing that goes to the ceiling, and frame a new column that's scabbed to the truss, maybe that would work and not have any problems?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Never not scavenge some wood.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Sockser posted:

Neighbors house got torn down.
Backyard is full of debris wood

What do y’all make of that? Worth carting six feet into my house and removing all the nails from? There’s like uhhhh an entire rowhome worth of whatever this wood is, in various sizes, some 2x4, some 1x12, some absolute massive loving like 6x10x12’ers

But they’ve been sitting out in the rain for a while and they’re all full of nails and I’m not even sure what kind of wood they are

Edit:

Where's the house, and roughly how old is it? Near me old joists like that are often heart pine.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

armorer posted:

Where's the house, and roughly how old is it? Near me old joists like that are often heart pine.

Philly, and since it’s a rowhome, probably shares age with my house which is from the 20s I think?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
6"x10"x12' would make one hell of a roman style low bench, or cut in half and then glued side to side, a great top for a Roubo.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 17, 2018

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Sockser posted:

Philly, and since it’s a rowhome, probably shares age with my house which is from the 20s I think?

Take all of it if you can get it free. It's probably heart pine and worst case you can sell it for more than you'd think. If it were me, I'd take all the large pieces for sure.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

OK so, I've spoken with the carpenter dude that works for the cladding company I'm buying from, asked a bunch of questions.

He's recommended using scarf joints between boards placed end to end, how hard is that going to be for me to do? Is it pretty much just two 45º mitres?

I also asked about predrilling. The spax screws I was looking at are *probably* fine for fixing without predrilling, but he's recommended predrilling a slightly larger hole than the fixing to account for movement.

What would be the best fixing approach if I did that? Predrill plus nails? Not worth using screws if I'm predrilling. (I asked something similar in the tools thread but with this new info it feels more like a woodworking question.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

armorer posted:

Take all of it if you can get it free. It's probably heart pine and worst case you can sell it for more than you'd think. If it were me, I'd take all the large pieces for sure.

That’s a uhhhh lot of wood

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Yeah not the 2x4s or anything, forget those, just take the big 6x10x12 ones.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

MetaJew posted:

Like I said, the structural engineer warned me that if I left the column such that the truss was loading it, there was risk that it would seesaw and lead to cracks in the ceiling down the line, along the length of the truss.. Now, if I were to I guess entirely remove the framing that goes to the ceiling, and frame a new column that's scabbed to the truss, maybe that would work and not have any problems?

And like I said if it's not load bearing now, it's not going to magically become load bearing.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Does balsa wood hold up well for something like utensils? Or is it too soft/light to be useful?

While cleaning out my grandfathers house we found a large thick piece of what appears to be balsa. It's something like 12x12x4 and super light weight.
I'm not super into carving so I don't have much use for it, but making some spoons and spatulas might be in my wheel house. I figure I could sell them at my next craft show as a cheap draw people in item.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Sockser posted:

That’s a uhhhh lot of wood

This is what it might look like unfinished, after just a quick pass through a jointer and planer.

bred
Oct 24, 2008

MetaJew posted:

Now, if I were to I guess entirely remove the framing that goes to the ceiling, and frame a new column that's scabbed to the truss, maybe that would work and not have any problems?

This is how you should do it. The wall position may change and you'd have to adjust your flooring.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

bred posted:

This is how you should do it. The wall position may change and you'd have to adjust your flooring.

that isn't finished and you won't find this out until you rip out the wall :D

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Jokes on you. I redid the flooring when I bought the house and it's a slab foundation so the flooring definitely isn't finished... :/

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

keep it down up there! posted:

Does balsa wood hold up well for something like utensils? Or is it too soft/light to be useful?

While cleaning out my grandfathers house we found a large thick piece of what appears to be balsa. It's something like 12x12x4 and super light weight.
I'm not super into carving so I don't have much use for it, but making some spoons and spatulas might be in my wheel house. I figure I could sell them at my next craft show as a cheap draw people in item.

Balsa is way too soft to hold up as a utensil. Would undoubtedly break almost immediately when any resistance at all was encountered. On the plus side you could bite down on the spoon really hard and the spoon wouldn't damage your teeth, since you would just bite through it!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey Woodworking Megathread! Long time, no talk! You see, I live in Northern Seattle and have an unfinished garage, so when it gets cold outside, I stop my woodworking projects.
Anyhoo, I just wanted to give props to a local business and recommend them if anyone is in Northern Seattle.

Rockler (on Northgate) is awesome. Everyone there is really nice, but I found out a couple days ago when buying some Black Limba and some Purple heart for a charcuterie board, that you can rent time in the back (complete with an employee giving advice/teaching/assisting/shooting the poo poo with you for a reasonable price.

I cut, glued-up, clamped, planed, routered, hand-routered, and forstner-bitted(?) my charcuterie board in 2 sessions (because of the glue up needing time to dry) and I had the best time ever.

Pics when finished... but man, I highly recommend that store. If you're nearby, you can do just about ANYTHING wood related in their workshop.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
What's the rate that they charge?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

MetaJew posted:

What's the rate that they charge?

40. But as long as you don’t come in and waste their efforts and time with a 5 minute job they will charge only for partial.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Feenix posted:

Hey Woodworking Megathread! Long time, no talk! You see, I live in Northern Seattle and have an unfinished garage, so when it gets cold outside, I stop my woodworking projects.
Anyhoo, I just wanted to give props to a local business and recommend them if anyone is in Northern Seattle.

Where in North Seattle are you? I'm in the U District, and will have a shop at the end of summer.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I'm in North (of) Seattle too, up in the Bothell area. Had stopped into that Rockler once a long time ago but haven't been doing too much stuff yet. Nice to hear they rent shop time.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm near the Northgate mall in Victory Heights. I'm about 1/2 mile, maybe, from the shop. So this is gonna get good, I think.

Costly, but good!

DevNull posted:

Where in North Seattle are you? I'm in the U District, and will have a shop at the end of summer.

Nice! Looking good!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

DevNull posted:

Was it hard to get a permit for that? Looks like a good size to work in

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Was it hard to get a permit for that? Looks like a good size to work in

Well, it is complicated. The construction was started by the last owner. They started without a permit. The old neighbor filed a complaint, so they had to get a permit. Now I have to keep bugging the city to prove to them I am finishing it, or they will start fining me. We just got the house at the start of the year.

I just had to renew the permit because it expired after 2 years. I don't have to submit plans and such, because it won't be a dwelling unit. I just had to pay $800 or whatever and have them come look at it to make sure it is built to basic code. Which means anchored to the foundation and simple stuff like that.

The shop is 18' x 20' so it should be plenty big for anything I need.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

DevNull posted:

The shop is 18' x 20' so it should be plenty big for anything I need.

You fool.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

I am taking into account that I live in Seattle. We were pretty picky on finding a house within a few neighborhoods for easy public transit. We almost bought the place next door, and it had an 8'x8' basement workspace with about 6 inches of slope in the floor. So I am not going to complain about the size of a dedicated shop.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

DevNull posted:

I am taking into account that I live in Seattle. We were pretty picky on finding a house within a few neighborhoods for easy public transit. We almost bought the place next door, and it had an 8'x8' basement workspace with about 6 inches of slope in the floor. So I am not going to complain about the size of a dedicated shop.

Yea that must have been $$$$$

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I am very excited about woodworking because the new place I bought has a nice existing shop. Heated/cooled 24'x24' detached garage, with a roll up door and a normal door, dedicated 100 amp service, grounded plugs every 6 feet. Now I can finally build the cool things in my head or at least die trying.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Falcon2001 posted:

I'm in North (of) Seattle too, up in the Bothell area. Had stopped into that Rockler once a long time ago but haven't been doing too much stuff yet. Nice to hear they rent shop time.

Dang there’s a handful of folks in the area. I’m up in Mountlake Terrace using my garage as a shop, but share it with the family car. Now that I’m finally done restoring an old bandsaw, I will hopefully start working on projects again.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
North Seattle Wood crew, represent!

This is what I’m working on... nothing major but I am supremely impressed with how it turned out.

Black Limba edged with PurpleHeart. The glue-up is so tight! It excites me!

This is just before and after a first penetrating coat of mineral oil. Ultimately gonna finish it with mineral oil and beeswax blend.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Looking for recommendations on hinge types / setup.

I made good progress on my litterbox concealing furniture. I went with 8d finishing nails as I remembered that A: pine is soft and B: I can fill in the holes with putty and sand then finish, so my earlier worries about nails on the side panels wasn't a big deal.

The only thing left is to put moulding around the entry hole (lower left) and a lip of moulding around the top shelf. Also, I need to install the front plate with hinges. I want it to open vertically, so gravity keeps the front door shut and I can pull the door upwards to change the litter tray.

Happily the entire thing seems square and very sturdy!

Right now I intend for the front door to fully overlay the bottom and middle shelves and be flush with the outer sides of each vertical wall. I imagine having 2 hinges mounted on the middle shelf somehow that connect to the front door. Since I am new to all of this stuff I don't really know what would the best choice be for hinges. My preference is that they are more or less hidden, but I'm not super locked in on that idea. My worry is that the soft pine will basically always be supporting the weight of the front door through the mounting screws and I imagine over time that might get to be a problem? Any tips or recommendations here on hinge types / mounting location?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Why are all of my projects so big?

I had a productive day today on the for the arts & crafts-ish TV center. Finished final dimensioning all of the panels and did two practice through-tenons. I'm happy, but not thrilled, with how the second one turned out. I wish the mortise had crisper edges, I think I'm levering the chisel accidentally. There are eight of these on the project, half of which will end up against the wall, so I'm hopeful the visible four will be quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The slow march of progress

In the middle of making some saw benches with GEMorris. I've been real bad about actually taking initiative and working on developing my skills, and I feel like I've been on the cusp for a while; however, there's no better time than the present, eh?