Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Ever since Waza-ari became the new Yuko. In training, everyone who is heavyweight just keeps doing Waza-ari throws into nawaza and attempting to do holddowns for 10 seconds. I guess I am venting more about how my training partners have gotten lazy since our Champion Heavyweight has been coming in less to inspire the other guys to keep trying to improve. I just feel like I am plateauing right now because my training partners are not proving a challenge or consistently improving. I might as well hit the gym more often than go to Judo right now for all the good it is doing me right now.

Ah. Well work your ground escapes, specifically your hold prevention, and work your throwing defense/counter game. Look for ko-uchi / o-uchi attacks, because remember that the rules change also expanded ippon to include rolling landings - you don't need to break the floor for an ippon anymore. Tired fat dudes love to stand with really wide stances, and they'll gladly tip over when you catch them with those "banana peel" entries. Training partner apathy will make it actually easier to improve at these things. Keep working and make them keep up with you!

From what I see of lower-level heavyweight fights, the waza-ari/falldown thing happens more from exhaustion than from apathy towards a good throw, and under the old rules it was usually yuko-25 seconds, at nearly the same frequency as waza-ari-10 now. poo poo - I've seen it in the Olympics. The implication is that if you can get your cardio to where you can explode for a proper attack after 90 seconds, you'll find those ippons.

And remember that having a plateau experience is a normal part of learning something like this. We find reasons to get discouraged, and often it's important to ignore those reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Dumb white belt question -

A few times I've ended up in a weird position when I'm attempting to pass my opponent's open guard.

If I am passing to my right, his left, as I try to turn the corner I end up in a position where my right knee is on his belly (instead of my left knee with my right leg posted out). My left leg either gets caught in a sort of half-guard thing, or is posted on the outside his legs (both his legs).

On other white belts I've typically been able to rectify and pass either back stepping my left leg, slipping my right leg down and coming to side control, or sliding my left leg up and over his legs into mount.

On colored belts, I usually get swept but that is usually the case regardless of position.

Main question is - is this position something that I can/should be able to work from? Or is it a position to be avoided and my ending up there is actually just a byproduct of my lovely passing?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Its a position that comes from not dominating the pass which is a thing that happens when you attempt knee slides/cuts, because no one is gonna just sit there and let you pass directly to side/mount. At higher levels of bjj you arent totally gonna win the maneuver, you just get incremental advantages that will lead to what you want. For example youll very rarely sweep some dude straight to side control, theyll generally grab half guard or scramble into a guard

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 17, 2018

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Ah. Well work your ground escapes, specifically your hold prevention, and work your throwing defense/counter game. Look for ko-uchi / o-uchi attacks, because remember that the rules change also expanded ippon to include rolling landings - you don't need to break the floor for an ippon anymore. Tired fat dudes love to stand with really wide stances, and they'll gladly tip over when you catch them with those "banana peel" entries. Training partner apathy will make it actually easier to improve at these things. Keep working and make them keep up with you!

From what I see of lower-level heavyweight fights, the waza-ari/falldown thing happens more from exhaustion than from apathy towards a good throw, and under the old rules it was usually yuko-25 seconds, at nearly the same frequency as waza-ari-10 now. poo poo - I've seen it in the Olympics. The implication is that if you can get your cardio to where you can explode for a proper attack after 90 seconds, you'll find those ippons.

And remember that having a plateau experience is a normal part of learning something like this. We find reasons to get discouraged, and often it's important to ignore those reasons.

All true and valid points. I been going back to the mats after being absent for a year due to mental health and personal issues and I need to shake the old rust and salt off.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

butros posted:

Main question is - is this position something that I can/should be able to work from? Or is it a position to be avoided and my ending up there is actually just a byproduct of my lovely passing?

As mentioned above, both. It sounds like you're falling into a hip switch half guard pass position, so you might as well learn how to finish it when you wind up there.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Defenestrategy posted:

Its a position that comes from not dominating the pass which is a thing that happens when you attempt knee slides/cuts, because no one is gonna just sit there and let you pass directly to side/mount. At higher levels of bjj you arent totally gonna win the maneuver, you just get incremental advantages that will lead to what you want. For example youll very rarely sweep some dude straight to side control, theyll generally grab half guard or scramble into a guard

Nestharken posted:

As mentioned above, both. It sounds like you're falling into a hip switch half guard pass position, so you might as well learn how to finish it when you wind up there.

Thanks this is great.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Drewjitsu posted:

It was getting down to the wire (I was the 2nd to last blue belt promoted to purple), but I managed it in the end. :v:

30 coloured belts received promotions from blue to purple, and purple to brown. What a day.

Obligatory belt/head/ninja combo:

Congratulation!

Purple seems like the belt where you really get magic powers (as a lovely 9 month blue belt).

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

spandexcajun posted:

Congratulation!

Purple seems like the belt where you really get magic powers (as a lovely 9 month blue belt).

This does seem to be the case. When I first started I liked rolling with my black belt instruction to trying to wrestle with literal water. Blue belts are good and tough but still clearly human. Purple and up is where it seems the supernatural is involved.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Count Roland posted:

This does seem to be the case. When I first started I liked rolling with my black belt instruction to trying to wrestle with literal water. Blue belts are good and tough but still clearly human. Purple and up is where it seems the supernatural is involved.

Dang. I think my purple belt is defective then. I gotta get some of those super powers.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

FreakyMetalKid posted:

Dang. I think my purple belt is defective then. I gotta get some of those super powers.

Roll a new white belt and ask him how it went for him.

I'm sure it will feel like magic to him.

Pain magic.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm a black belt. In fact, this year I'll be eligible for my first stripe/degree on my black belt. I train in some elite company. But I sure as gently caress don't feel like a jedi though I get treated like one sometimes.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Yuns posted:

I'm a black belt. In fact, this year I'll be eligible for my first stripe/degree on my black belt. I train in some elite company. But I sure as gently caress don't feel like a jedi though I get treated like one sometimes.

The fourth sentence is because of the third sentence. If you were to move to where I live they would erect statues in your likeness

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I was discussing this with my black belt friend and he said at least in gi, purple belt is where you get to take advantage of all those cool grips that you learned at white and blue belt but couldn't execute because you were mostly just struggling to survive, learn positions and then fine tune those parts of your game.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

What are the courtesies with asking to train at another gym for a short time?

I'm travelling, and will be in a city with several BJJ gyms and would like to keep training.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

spacetoaster posted:

I'm travelling, and will be in a city with several BJJ gyms and would like to keep training.

Send them an email asking about their visiting/drop-in policy.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Ask your instructor if he knows anyone in the area and can recommend a gym first. If not:

I typically e-mail or call and let them know where I train, what my belt is, ask what their drop in/visitor policy is, and if they require any specific gi color. I personally don't wear team patches when visiting but I don't think most gyms care.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Sure does feel good when you have been working on a concept for a while and then one day you consistently nail it during sparring. I have been struggling with deep half but I think I finally "get it" you dont even think about it, you just do it.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Has anyone here worked hard on implementing Neil Melanson's Triangle choke system? I got the book after seeing a few recommendations but I wonder if some people might have pointers on some of the stuff that worked really well for them.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

spacetoaster posted:

I travel 80-100% for work these days.

Agree with the above: ask your home gym, call ahead if you can and if possible just wear a white or blue low key gi.

I've also found it helpful to hang back a bit at. Doing drills as instructed, even if you learned differently, not ripping into white belts, staying off the leg game unless they're down. Stuff like that.

Maybe it sounds obvious but there's often a little tension when you first start showing up and it helps to demonstrate you're not an rear end in a top hat and assimilate. Then you can diaphragm crush white belts and 50/50 to your heart's content.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

I've also found it helpful to hang back a bit at. Doing drills as instructed, even if you learned differently, not ripping into white belts, staying off the leg game unless they're down. Stuff like that.

Maybe it sounds obvious but there's often a little tension when you first start showing up and it helps to demonstrate you're not an rear end in a top hat and assimilate. Then you can diaphragm crush white belts and 50/50 to your heart's content.

gently caress that, walk up in the building and establish dominance.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

JaySB posted:

He who replies to willie_dee should be careful lest he thereby become willie_dee.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Neon Belly posted:

He who replies to willie_dee should be careful lest he thereby become willie_dee.

Willieception

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Neon Belly posted:

He's pretty much British Phoenix Jones in my minds eye and you'll not convince me otherwise. :colbert:

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Put an extra sock in your nogi spats when going to a new gym

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

JaySB posted:

Roger.

I will maintain eye contact while peeing on the mats, claiming them as my own.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

spb posted:

it's insensitive to brag about having enough room to stuff a sock in your jock when there are some of us that cannot get cups that fit.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

spb posted:

No lie, a friend of mine was competing in a paid grappling event (with a ring and everything in a hotel ballroom), and was rocking the spats+cup combo.

After his match, he was talking to me and his fellow clubmates, and a lady was also in the circle. She could not stop :stare: at his huge package.

I wonder if she knew it was artificially enhanced. :v:

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i contort my sizeable batch into grotesque shapes clearly visible through my spats to intimidate and entice my opponents

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
imanari taught us that the best tactic is to actually attack your opponent while naked in the sauna. tragically, it appears that video has disappeared from the internet.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

JaySB posted:

I should caveat that I am physically weak and not very good. If you are a grappling murder machine consider alternate strategies.

... One time though I dropped in on a no-gi class so no one except the instructor knew I was a brown belt. It was a small class but Each guy was a little bigger and had a little more califlower ear than the last. The final match was from the feet with some Azerbaijani mountain troll looking motherfucker that rag dolled me all over the place.

I learned later he's their top amateur prospect and that basically those 3 or 4 dudes were training partners and all friends. So I kinda ran into a gauntlet because my first roll was their newest buddy and I (politely) crushed him and then kept tapping or at least competing with the rest of the crew until big dog stepped up.

Everyone was nice though so it was more like competition prep class than anything awful and I rolled with them a lot while I was there.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
In case y'all haven't seen enough fancy saddle entries lately, flograppling posted several from rdlr by Jon Calestine yesterday (for fellow idiots who have paid money to flograppling)

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

wrong thread

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Decades posted:

In case y'all haven't seen enough fancy saddle entries lately, flograppling posted several from rdlr by Jon Calestine yesterday (for fellow idiots who have paid money to flograppling)

Daaaaaaang, I'm all about fancy poo poo that sometimes works.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I was kidding, fyi. Definitely get the feel for the gym and the people training there before you go hard.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
So I was messing around while seated and did something that is already a thing and I'm trying to figure out more about it. Basically while seated if someone is advancing you create a wedge by crossing your legs on top of eachother and you use that V shape to catch their ankle area on their lead leg. I was able to create some nice offbalances with it and I was told one of our higher level competitors does it all the time so it's definitely a thing.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Seltzer posted:

So I was messing around while seated and did something that is already a thing and I'm trying to figure out more about it. Basically while seated if someone is advancing you create a wedge by crossing your legs on top of eachother and you use that V shape to catch their ankle area on their lead leg. I was able to create some nice offbalances with it and I was told one of our higher level competitors does it all the time so it's definitely a thing.

Overhook the back of his knee and pull him into you if he is driving in and use your ankles as an elevator to go to slx. if he pulls back you might be able to wrestle up to a single leg. mind your neck at all times in that position by hugging it hard to his inside thigh. that's what I do off the top of my head. with the free hand you can grab his ankle to avoid him doing a backstep

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
I use that to create space if I'm getting crowded in butterfly. You can also use it to invert into saddle but that might be a little advanced.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Last night some new lovely white belt (as opposed to me, a slightly less new but still lovely white belt) tried to ezekiel me. He had no leverage at all, wasn't putting any pressure on. Then all of a sudden leaned forward and jammed their whole body weight almost on to my adams apple with their fist and it hurts like a bitch now.

Almost felt like something cracked when it happened, but I'm really hoping it's fine and just bruised or something.

I had a polite chat with them between fits of coughing about slowly adding more force to submission attempts rather than just throwing 100% at it from nothing to give people a chance to tap before hurting them, especially when you don't know the technique very well.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

L0cke17 posted:

Last night some new lovely white belt (as opposed to me, a slightly less new but still lovely white belt) tried to ezekiel me. He had no leverage at all, wasn't putting any pressure on. Then all of a sudden leaned forward and jammed their whole body weight almost on to my adams apple with their fist and it hurts like a bitch now.

Almost felt like something cracked when it happened, but I'm really hoping it's fine and just bruised or something.

I had a polite chat with them between fits of coughing about slowly adding more force to submission attempts rather than just throwing 100% at it from nothing to give people a chance to tap before hurting them, especially when you don't know the technique very well.

The receiving end of an Ezekiel choke from the top is no place to chill out and relax. If they've already grabbed their sleeve and gotten their fist to your trachea, you're in a *lot* of trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
There should be a rule against teaching white belts Ezekiels, and an honest attempt ought to be made to keep them secret from blue belts.