Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I don't really watch cartoons and I've never watched the original show but I see this getting poo poo on hard online and it looks adorable as gently caress tho?

People are just mad that it doesn't look like a he-man knockoff anymore, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I don't really watch cartoons and I've never watched the original show but I see this getting poo poo on hard online and it looks adorable as gently caress tho?

They made literally the exact cartoon the whiners are asking for back in 2011 and it was cancelled because no one watched it, just to make the backlash even stupider than it already is.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Short version:
Idiot manbabies are upset that an adorable take on a bad cartoon from their childhood doesn't "respect" the source material.

The main issue is that Thundercats had a serious, modern version in 2011 that was really good but idiot manbabies refused to watch it over the SANCTITY of the original.

You can't win with these loving dildos.

Edit: efb but it still stands!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

Short version:
Idiot manbabies are upset that an adorable take on a bad cartoon from their childhood doesn't "respect" the source material.

The main issue is that Thundercats had a serious, modern version in 2011 that was really good but idiot manbabies refused to watch it over the SANCTITY of the original.

You can't win with these loving dildos.

Edit: efb but it still stands!

I would not be surprised if 99% of the whiners don't even give a poo poo about the original Thundercats and are just using this as an excuse to whine about them kids today.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
also a lot of them really love to scream about the sjw conspiracy to feed everyone soy and kill all men while rolling naked in their own poo poo

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Pigbuster posted:

I would not be surprised if 99% of the whiners don't even give a poo poo about the original Thundercats and are just using this as an excuse to whine about them kids today.

Its also this, none of the people Ive seen bitch about this were even old enough to grow up on Thundercats vhs tapes, much less the actual run. A lot of it is rooted in how the rise of the Cal Arts Style was apace with the rising visibility of queer creators in professional spaces (and as a result better representational politics in cartoons,) so bashing the style is basically a dogwhistle for more general regressive whining.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, let's be honest, a lot of them got a furry start on cheetara and they're grumpy this won't be going that way.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lol that the band wants the movie to be about the band but the posters are all entirely about Freddie Mercury

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Vegetable posted:

Lol that the band wants the movie to be about the band but the posters are all entirely about Freddie Mercury

Seems like the ad campaign is at least pretending it's just a biopic of Freddie. It literally says 'his story' in the tagline instead of 'their story.' Seems kind of disingenuous with what I've heard of the movie so far.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Everybody who doesn't follow movie news regularly is gonna be so loving disappointed when they go see that movie hahaha

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Its also this, none of the people Ive seen bitch about this were even old enough to grow up on Thundercats vhs tapes, much less the actual run. A lot of it is rooted in how the rise of the Cal Arts Style was apace with the rising visibility of queer creators in professional spaces (and as a result better representational politics in cartoons,) so bashing the style is basically a dogwhistle for more general regressive whining.

I understand a few legit points of criticism. The style is fairly homogeneous and a little uninspired among the post-Adventure Time cartoon landscape (e.g. Steven Universe, O.K. KO, Craig of the Creek, We Bare Bears, The Loud House, Gravity Falls, Star Vs. The Forces of Evil, Ducktales, the new Powerpuff Girls, Teen Titans Go! (side note: I personally think that there is a lot of variance among these series, including among Thundercats, but they distinctly come from a specific era of children's programing). What they've shown so far hasn't been very good (because so far it's just opening titles, and bespoke animation announcing the series featuring a solo character. And the people behind the series have admitted that the latter was something a dude made in a closet over a weekend, and it's content isn't necessarily representative of the final product). And there's the fact that it's a somewhat tasteless regurgitation of a previous property (mainly taking issue with the regurgitation, rather than using resources to create something original).

And to be frank, it does seem a fairly on the nose attempt from Cartoon Network to create a series that could recapture the success of both Adventure Time (comedic adventure tales) and Teen Titans Go! (irreverent and over-the-top misadventures that parody the source material, hopefully dragging in older fans with easter eggs). And them attempting to ape the latter has people worried, as Teen Titans Go! has numerous detractors for a lot of reasons (from pissy fans of the source material ala what we're seeing now, to people who just really hate it's humor and content, to people who would be fine with it until it's been shoved down their throats by executives (this type of scheduling was a regular occurance)).

But this is complete conjecture about a show that hasn't even finished production on any episodes yet. And what rational adults-despite-the-fact-they-watch-cartoons would do is leave any judgement until they have a more concrete representation of the show before writing it off as A Bad Thing™.

As penance for that diatrabe, have an image of Ruth Bader Ginsberg:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
subtitle "Who Wants Some Gingersnaps?"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWaljXUiCaE

And the crowd goes "R-B-G!"

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Vegetable posted:

I'm sure it's to be expected anyway but May shot down Cohen's version of events. I think it's probably true that they didn't want to go all the way with it like he did, but I'm not sure how much I buy his idea that Mercury dies like 3/4 of the way through and the rest is about the band carrying on.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Knowing all that, it's hilarious that the tagline is basically "yeah cool band cool music but how about that Freddie Mercury?"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
People don’t want to see a Brian May movie.

They don’t want to see a movie about....

<checks list of other Queen band members>

....Grest Whippo....

.....or.....

<squints>

....Selmo Truncheon?

People want to see a movie about Freddie Goddamn Mercury.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DrVenkman posted:

I'm sure it's to be expected anyway but May shot down Cohen's version of events. I think it's probably true that they didn't want to go all the way with it like he did, but I'm not sure how much I buy his idea that Mercury dies like 3/4 of the way through and the rest is about the band carrying on.

Yeah I know we have heard stories about what the band wanted but do we know that's actually the movie that was made?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's also the fact that "CalArts" style is a meaningless buzzword created by noted pedophile rear end in a top hat John K in the early 90s because he was salty about The Iron Giant being successful.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

'His extraordinary story'

Just not the bit with the AIDS.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

There's also the fact that "CalArts" style is a meaningless buzzword created by noted pedophile rear end in a top hat John K in the early 90s because he was salty about The Iron Giant being successful.

He thought the iron giant was successful? Didn't it bomb in the box office?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think it was more the critical praise it was getting.

Either way, the phrase has meant "the current style that I don't like" for a while now, only taking a break in the 2000s when cartoons were trying to ape anime and it's the kind of phrase bandied about by idiots who isolate in between frames and smears as evidence of bad animation.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 21, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
children's cartoons are serious business

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Man, poor guy. Do you realize how terrible it must be to live inside of his head?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheLEGOMovie/status/998579165832953858

Poster-ish

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
The Lego 2 Movie

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Inzombiac posted:

er... most of the people i've seen mad about the new show loved the 2011 one in particular and are mad that this is happening instead of that coming back

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
2 Fast 2 Lego

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lord and Miller got fired from Star Wars, but I hope they're still attached to this. They surprised the hell out of me with the first one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They aren’t.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They are. They were brought on sometime last year to rewrite the script and are likely in a producer role as well.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dillbag posted:

The Lego 2 Movie

Le Go 2 The Movie

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Samuringa posted:

children's cartoons are serious business

The thing is with people like this, a lot of them lead miserable lives, perusing forums for men's rights, and incels. They don't have much in their life other than their anger, so they cling to things from their childhood that did make them happy like children's cartoons. So they're very protective of those memories, and those IPs. Any sort of remake or reboot that doesn't meet their impossible and unspecified requirements for the new version is automatically garbage, and they unleash their fury in angry internet comments. Nevermind the fact that they might view that IP with rose colored lenses, that maybe that cheaply produced 1980s action cartoon that was made specifically to sell sugary cereal wasn't actually ever any good. You've just disturbed their one happy memory, and they will make everybody pay for it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nihonniboku posted:

The thing is with people like this, a lot of them lead miserable lives, perusing forums for men's rights, and incels. They don't have much in their life other than their anger, so they cling to things from their childhood that did make them happy like children's cartoons. So they're very protective of those memories, and those IPs. Any sort of remake or reboot that doesn't meet their impossible and unspecified requirements for the new version is automatically garbage, and they unleash their fury in angry internet comments. Nevermind the fact that they might view that IP with rose colored lenses, that maybe that cheaply produced 1980s action cartoon that was made specifically to sell sugary cereal wasn't actually ever any good. You've just disturbed their one happy memory, and they will make everybody pay for it.

The fellow who's having an overreaction to an art style in a children's cartoon does come off a little unhinged, but jumping at the opportunity to diagnose a dude for his opinion ain't making you look much better.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
*licks thumb and holds it up* i diagnose twitter guy to be a retard

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
*puts ear to the ground* Definitely multiple sclerosis.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish they would drop all their flimsy arguments about derivative artstyle or bad comedy or whatever and just admit what the real problem with the new Thundercats is; Cheetarah isn't a babe anymore.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
You'd think after Ghostbusters 2016 people would know better than to go out of their way to praise a mediocre-looking reboot just to spite a vocal minority of chuds.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Erotic Wakes posted:

You'd think after Ghostbusters 2016 people would know better than to go out of their way to praise a mediocre-looking reboot just to spite a vocal minority of chuds.

Why would they do that

Ghostbusters 2016 was a mediocre movie that got way more hate then it deserved.

It’s not like they were proven wrong or anything

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why would they do that

Ghostbusters 2016 was a mediocre movie that got way more hate then it deserved.

It’s not like they were proven wrong or anything

Especially since the other side of the coin, being proprietary over a children's cartoon, is absurd beyond description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bill Gold, artist for posters such as Casablanca, The Sting, Unforgiven, Dial M For Murder, and The Wild Bunch has passed away.