Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

webmeister posted:

I dipped out of Revolutions halfway through 1848, might have to pick that back up.

Does the History of Byzantium have 30 or so nigh-unlistenable episodes to start with like History of Rome?

Yeah, it seems like it might be a good time to get back on board, since he's finished 1848 and is currently doing a (thankfully much shorter) series on the Paris Commune, but then he's taking a hiatus to move to France, so now's the time to get caught up!

Sepaking of Revolutions, I really want to grab some of those T-Shirts from the fundraiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Jordan Peterson interview on Today Explained. I don't thiiink I've ever heard someone hosting a Vox podcast shout at/over the guest before.

Edit: woo I can finally ride the Gentleman Johnny party train!

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 15, 2018

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I think I dropped Revolutions somewhere in Haiti. I'm debating starting Haiti from scratch or just jumping to the Bolivarian episodes and doubling back to Haiti later when I run out of Revolutions.

Haiti was interesting but the fact that I didn't know about it at all ahead of time meant that it was terrible commute listening because I needed to pay full attention to it. An episode would end and I'd be like "wait... what?"

Jack B Nimble posted:

Jordan Peterson interview on Today Explained. I don't thiiink I've ever heard someone hosting a Vox podcast shout at/over the guest before.

When this popped up on my feed I knew it'd be a bad time

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is the Skeptoid guy out of jail yet?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Yvonmukluk posted:

Sepaking of Revolutions, I really want to grab some of those T-Shirts from the fundraiser.

To The Barricades is great but gently caress, why that color?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Jack B Nimble posted:

The guy who was interviewing Kermit was hideously ignorant of actual history.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

The fact that he described that interview as "contentious" when it went the way it did seems to indicate that they have a pretty thin skin for debate and disagreement, and that they generally seek out interviewees who confirm their biases.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It was also, like, ten minutes long. Where's Ezra "my show can be two hours long because I own the company" Klein when you need him.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 16, 2018

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Sulphagnist posted:

I think I dropped Revolutions somewhere in Haiti. I'm debating starting Haiti from scratch or just jumping to the Bolivarian episodes and doubling back to Haiti later when I run out of Revolutions.

Haiti was interesting but the fact that I didn't know about it at all ahead of time meant that it was terrible commute listening because I needed to pay full attention to it. An episode would end and I'd be like "wait... what?"

The "let's just scramble between the revolution and now" in Haiti is probably my favourite single work Mike Duncan has done. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop and Haiti to get better :smith:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is the Skeptoid guy out of jail yet?

Wait what?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skeptoid was this sometimes pretty good podcast looking at like UFOs and ghosts and poo poo skeptically. I liked it until the guy who did it suddenly went away and was replaced with a bunch of guests hosts who weren't as good. It turned out he was running some kinda script on his website where if you ever went to the Skeptoid website, it would hijack all future Amazon referral links you clicked on in the future. He made literally millions of dollars off it, but then he got found out and went to jail.

This was a while back so I was wondering if he's out and doing the podcast again

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

Skeptoid was this sometimes pretty good podcast looking at like UFOs and ghosts and poo poo skeptically. I liked it until the guy who did it suddenly went away and was replaced with a bunch of guests hosts who weren't as good. It turned out he was running some kinda script on his website where if you ever went to the Skeptoid website, it would hijack all future Amazon referral links you clicked on in the future. He made literally millions of dollars off it, but then he got found out and went to jail.

This was a while back so I was wondering if he's out and doing the podcast again

He was out by 2015 and his work release program should be wrapping up this year according to Wikipedia.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Guy Goodbody posted:

It wasn't the script on his podcast website, it was stuff to do with the company that was his day job and was eBay and Amazon partners with referral links. It was all shady as gently caress, but so was everything else in 00s web advertising, let alone now.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Since it came back up, there's a weird little detail to that.

Skeptoid once did a debunking on computer viruses/hacking. Basic point was that there really weren't "computer killer" viruses at that point (this was pre-ransomware) and that a lot of people were scared of something that had largely died out.

He then went on to describe in detail how most viruses/hacks/infections were simply things like cookie stuffing and affiliate fraud, going into detail about how it all works.

Made the news breaking a bit weird.

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

Revolutions got a lot easier to follow for me when I stopped listening week-to-week and just binge-listened a whole revolution. Even France was a bit hard for me week-to-week and I knew about the major actors and some of the stuff.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I've never done week to week, I'd forget everything. I always wait for the whole thing to drop.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Same, I'm only just now on revolution 7.x. once I wait this long, if I download them all and sort by podcast date, all the episodes stay together, becoming a kind of audio book that sits in my queue, in addition to all the Trump newscasts my other feeds have turned into.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

I listen week to week, but I've taken a fair amount of history courses so I feel fairly comfortable in the era. I can definitely see how binging it would be effective though.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Arrhythmia posted:

The "let's just scramble between the revolution and now" in Haiti is probably my favourite single work Mike Duncan has done. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop and Haiti to get better :smith:

It's brutal. The relentless :psyduck: of it makes me want Mike to guest host a Dollop.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I like to listen week to week and then at the end of a series, when Mike's on hiatus prepping for the next revolution, I binge the just-completed series in one gulp. That way I have some vague familiarity from the weekly listening, and so I'm not trying to digest the whole series in one fell swoop, but this time all the episodes hang together so I can actually follow the whole thread without losing the plot, so to speak.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
quick question: how do I listen to previous seasons of Hardcore History? Seems like I only have access to episode 50 and beyond. I'm using the Overcasts app on iOS, if that helps.

Revolutions is a lot of fun to listen to by the way, but god that dudes voice is grating at times.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I think a lot of them are on YouTube, and I know someone who managed to find most of the archive via Uncle Torrence if you're comfortable with that. Otherwise you can buy them from his site I think

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

webmeister posted:

I think a lot of them are on YouTube, and I know someone who managed to find most of the archive via Uncle Torrence if you're comfortable with that. Otherwise you can buy them from his site I think

Ah darn. Guess that's the ephemeral nature of podcasts.

God this Dan Carlin guy sounds like a right wing radio conspiracy theorist when he gets excited. Or as if I'm working at a drive-thru and Dan Carlin tells me about the fall of modern society when I ask him if he wants barbecue sauce. I think I prefer the narrator in Revolutions to this dude.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

buglord posted:

Ah darn. Guess that's the ephemeral nature of podcasts.

God this Dan Carlin guy sounds like a right wing radio conspiracy theorist when he gets excited. Or as if I'm working at a drive-thru and Dan Carlin tells me about the fall of modern society when I ask him if he wants barbecue sauce. I think I prefer the narrator in Revolutions to this dude.

I think he's that sort of personality, but his training in history (as well as his training in radio) keeps him grounded.

But if he's not for you he's not for you. I find Revolutions to be informative but oh so dry.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's a bit of a bummer that Revolutions is so focused on telling big over-arching stories. When he focuses on little episodes it can be really fun too. I remember loving the mini-episode about Citizen Genet.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

buglord posted:

quick question: how do I listen to previous seasons of Hardcore History? Seems like I only have access to episode 50 and beyond. I'm using the Overcasts app on iOS, if that helps.

Dude doesn't do seasons, it just takes multiple real world seasons between releases. :v:

You gotta pay for the old episodes on his store if you want to directly support the podcast, alternately they do keep the old episodes up and still hosted and there are various alternate RSS feeds around that will make it easy to reach. Alternately you can just load up the site on archive.org at various points years back to download episodes off their original posts.

buglord posted:

He and Alex Jones were working and being trained in radio at the same radio stations in Texas at about the same timeframe when they both started out. Kinda like how there's animators who all go to the same film school and have samey animation styles, Alex Jones and Dan Carlin basically went to the same radio school and picked up similar radio voices.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Mike Duncan went on Chapo

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

any podcast episodes out there that deal with the soviet invasion of afghanistan in the 80s?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Before you decide you don't like Dan Carlin, try the good stuff:

https://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-48-prophets-of-doom/

coathat
May 21, 2007

mike12345 posted:

any podcast episodes out there that deal with the soviet invasion of afghanistan in the 80s?

Radio War Nerd episode 99

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah. This or Wrath of the Khans are my favourite HH stuff.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Any podcasts dealing with the old religions? Horse, Greek, Roman, Aztec etc.

e: leaving the autocorrect in, as it's great.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Mzuri posted:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

In Our Time has some episodes on that kind of thing (which is probably a statement that would be true for literally any imaginable topic), but I don't know of any podcasts that exclusively look at historical religions.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Mzuri posted:

e: leaving the autocorrect in, as it's great.

Closest I can think of is Martyrmade which had three eps on the Aztecs. It's got six episodes on the birth of Israel, though that's hardly "old". Very well done, for the most part.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Jack B Nimble posted:

How do I port things like these into Overcast? Do I just buy it on Podcasts.app and it'll link it?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've never done it but it looks like you need to convert the .mp3 to a ompl file.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

coathat posted:

Radio War Nerd episode 99

ok how long is that episode? I'm ok with paying if it's a two hour+ special, not
so much if it's 20-30 minutes.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Thanks for the suggestions and the horse :catholic:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

mike12345 posted:

ok how long is that episode? I'm ok with paying if it's a two hour+ special, not
so much if it's 20-30 minutes.

Just get the audiobook of Ghost Wars or something. It's good.