Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

There are no more books after God-Emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Am I imagining it, or did someone create a fan art with grrm as baron harkonnen?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

At this point I'd be extremely surprised if TWOW comes out before GRRMs death.

It'll probably only be released posthumously if he dies while the show hype is still relatively fresh.

If he lives to 90 it will never be released.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Nah, they'll find someone to keep releasing books "based on GRRM's notes" for as long as they can. today's market won't let go of any gravy train until it run out of rail, let alone one this big.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I think they will release whatever they got after GRRM is dead, but noone will care but a bunch of old loyal nerds

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

*leal

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

they'll release a half-done manuscript that comes with this classic

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm still super impressed with that certificate even after all these years.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

and there were never any Star Wars prequel films either

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Sephyr posted:

Nah, they'll find someone to keep releasing books "based on GRRM's notes" for as long as they can. today's market won't let go of any gravy train until it run out of rail, let alone one this big.

So books based entirely on which TGIFridays has the best queso dip and why the Jets are dogshit?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Solice Kirsk posted:

The artisanal quality is beyond measure.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Trabandiumium posted:

they'll release a half-done manuscript that comes with this classic

this was the loving golden age of bad thread

it was sublime

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

What do the wavy lines around Rape say? I can barely make out what looks like “Martin” and “Ice” in some places, so I was thinking his name and the series.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

latinotwink1997 posted:

What do the wavy lines around Rape say? I can barely make out what looks like “Martin” and “Ice” in some places, so I was thinking his name and the series.

Lemoncakes I think.

Who actually made that cert? It definitely took more time and effort than GRRM has exerted in the last decade anyway.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i like to think it was spontaneously created by the internet's collective angst

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

banned from Starbucks posted:

So books based entirely on which TGIFridays has the best queso dip and why the Jets are dogshit?

Easy peasy.

"Some corners of the realm, Dany learned, still celebrated TarGarYen Fridays, during which they gathered and shared bread warm from the ovens, dipped in cheese."

"I've looked at the new soldiers House Jhett has brouvght to our cause. Many and more of them are as useless as nipples on a breastplate."

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

I feel like whoever did that had access to some legit stock and bond printing software or something.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So principal shooting for Season 8 is apparently done. Have there been any leaks that support the earlier details such as Dany's corpse having poo poo flung at her?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
And the more she ate, the more she shat.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So principal shooting for Season 8 is apparently done. Have there been any leaks that support the earlier details such as Dany's corpse having poo poo flung at her?

Not to my knowledge. In fact the one big leak so far (basically everyone sans Jaime returning to Kings Landing/the Dragon Pit for another huge scene there) actively contradicts pretty much every bullshit bullet point in that hilarious spoiler list.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm gonna be so pissed if no spoilers leak and I can't get probated one last time for this series.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Sephyr posted:

Easy peasy.

"Some corners of the realm, Dany learned, still celebrated TarGarYen Fridays, during which they gathered and shared bread warm from the ovens, dipped in cheese."

"I've looked at the new soldiers House Jhett has brouvght to our cause. Many and more of them are as useless as nipples on a breastplate."

Hmm id read it

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm still toxxed for those spoilers so please treat them with more respect.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

what is so bad about Heretics and Chapterhouse? Ive never read them.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

TommyGun85 posted:

Sex ninja space nuns

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

TommyGun85 posted:

They didn't live up to the high standards set by Dune, a garbage novel.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

jit bull transpile posted:

Sex ninja space nuns

MIND-CONTROLLING, sperm-jacking sex ninja space nuns, my friend.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

um that sounds like a plus and not a bad thing

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Sephyr posted:

No, no, that's the Bene Gesserit. These introduced the evil mind-controlling, sperm-jacking sex ninja space nuns with insectoid kung-fu.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sephyr posted:

Rothfuss stole that too?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
This is a pretty obvious pattern. Instead of appealing to flaws in the prose, people are arguing that the sci-fi/fantasy concepts in the books are stupid.

It's inherently a distraction from that the books are no worse than the "good ones".

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I'm not sure what kind of gotcha you thinl youve trapped us in. This is the support group for people who can't let go of a series of books written by a man who thought the phrase "as useless as nipples on a breastplate" was indescribably clever. Frank Herbert is, if anything, a massive improvement.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Words are wind, all books are bad

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

jit bull transpile posted:

Sex ninja space nuns

and this is worse than an immortal psychic suicidal man-worm that can't swim?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
My favourite Dune novel was Panzer Dragoon.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I stopped after a single Dune sequel and felt bad for reading it. Dune is a pound for pound champion. There might be longer books, there might be better books, but there's no books that are that concise while being that good.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

bloom posted:

He's rich and old and dgaf anymore. Can't blame him.

I hope when he finally ODs from pizza, TPratchet bitch slaps him.

That

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 22, 2018

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I like Dune a lot, but I can see its warts. Herbert's prose rarely shines, and his characters score lowly on the "feeling like actual people" scale. Those are usually made better by the fact that his universe is a weird but interesting place you want to see more of, and that it's so far in the future that things posthuman concepts can explain why characters feel odd. Plans that encompass generations? Human computers? Combining feudal galactic hierarchies with a supercapitalist shared monopoly in which? More please!

I actually liked the second book a lot, mostly because it blew 13-year-old me's mind that the hero of the last story would now be trapped in a bureaucratic, poltical nightmare in which he's mostly trying to keep the ongoing murdercide from getting worse while not cracking completely. Even in the first book the Atreides are hardly classic heroes, dealing in bribes and lies and propaganda (hell, early on Duke Leto casually bemoans that they can't use poison to conveniently off large swathes of their population in Arrakis, and he's complaining that it's not feasible, not that it would be a bad thing.)

Worlbbuilding is a tricky, fickle thing. some universes (Star Wars/Trek, Dune, ASoIaF) have a knack for making you want to see more even when you dislike one or two entries, while other (Matrix, Second Apocalypse) only grow more stale and silly the more you see of them.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Sephyr posted:

his characters score lowly on the "feeling like actual people" scale.

Normal "royalty" on Earth don't even feel like real people. I think it's definitely a product of what you mentioned with them dealing in so many alien concepts, I think it'd be more jarring if they were putting out realist dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I stopped after a single Dune sequel and felt bad for reading it. Dune is a pound for pound champion. There might be longer books, there might be better books, but there's no books that are that concise while being that good.

A Wizard of Earthsea :eng101:

LeGuin gives you an entire developed world, magic and political system, enjoyable cast of characters, complete narrative arc, and strong life lesson all in 200 pages. Half the length of Dune.