Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Normal "royalty" on Earth don't even feel like real people. I think it's definitely a product of what you mentioned with them dealing in so many alien concepts, I think it'd be more jarring if they were putting out realist dialogue.

Oh, true. But I mean in the sense that, say, Paul reads more like a jaded 40-something than a noble teen who should be horny and at least somewhat interested in some courtly bangin'. One of the oddest things about dune for me is that despite how much of it revolves around breeding and sexual power dynamics, it feels sterile and sexless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hasselblad posted:

I hope when he finally ODs from pizza, TPratchet bitch slaps him.

Doesn’t that assume they end up in the same afterlife?
Isn’t one circle of Dante’s hell dedicated to sloth?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Cardiac posted:

Doesn’t that assume they end up in the same afterlife?
Isn’t one circle of Dante’s hell dedicated to sloth?

I hope Pratchett is in his Discworld and Gurm ends up there to but perhaps is doomed to live in the River Ankh.
(TP is of course Twoflower.)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I seriously doubt Tolkien would have said the Silmarillion was his life's work. It was background notes to give LotR a coherent backstory. That is, in fact, blantantly what it is.

Calling this back but I mean, poo poo. The Silmarillion was never meant to be published. It was a cash-in by Christopher Tolkien cut together with his Dad's notes, and he openly regrets ever publishing it.

Oh, hey! As I was reminded today: Neil Gaiman's whole rant about how GRRM isn't our bitch was in 2009.

Nine years ago.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 23, 2018

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

They didn't live up to the high standards set by Dune, a garbage novel.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

poo poo. MUST. FLOW.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

nine-gear crow posted:

poo poo. MUST. FLOW.

He is the Quitzon Everrithinch

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sand gurm.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
What if the book finally gets published and we learn that GRRM was writing profusely all this time after all and the book is like 15000 pages

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Publish with regularity, and you won't attract the GRRM

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Publish with regularity, and you won't attract the GRRM

:vince:

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Elias_Maluco posted:

What if the book finally gets published and we learn that GRRM was writing profusely all this time after all and the book is like 15000 pages

Part of me thinks (wishes) he's going to publish the final books all at once, or at least have them completed, just to be a huge troll gently caress.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Ottermotive Insanity posted:

Part of me thinks (wishes) he's going to publish the final books all at once, or at least have them completed, just to be a huge troll gently caress.

Honestly, if he arranged for the final manuscripts to explode out of his rear end in a top hat during the viewing of his corpse I would get a tattoo of his face in reverence.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Elias_Maluco posted:

He isn’t remotely working on that book.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/george-rr-martins-ice-dragon-be-adapted-as-animated-film-1114366

Fucker.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's either blank or it's like the manuscript in Wonderboys.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

TK-42-1 posted:

Honestly, if he arranged for the final manuscripts to explode out of his rear end in a top hat during the viewing of his corpse I would get a tattoo of his face in reverence.

Like an Iraqi rear end-book! Spike Jonze should do the big reveal.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lycus posted:

It's either blank or it's like the manuscript in Wonderboys.

Or The Shining

Single and LOVING IT
Apr 4, 2004
The monkeys are coming. . .

Wasn't there some interview where GRRM was talking about that book and how he'd invented ice dragons?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Single and LOVING IT posted:

Wasn't there some interview where GRRM was talking about that book and how he'd invented ice dragons?

I hope not. I was killing Ice dragons in Final Fantasy 2 (ahem, 4) while he was still trying to get Beauty and the Beast back on the air.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Please tell me he never claimed to invent ice dragons.

Single and LOVING IT
Apr 4, 2004
The monkeys are coming. . .

Lycus posted:

Please tell me he never claimed to invent ice dragons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCapHgYcIyo

Found it. He did.

What an absolute fucker.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Lol. Ice Dragons were in the very first Dragonlance trilogy like a billion years ago.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
his story did come out before dragonlance fwiw

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's not even a dragon....it's a wyvern. Here, I'll let an expert explain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZG_-KM6uP4

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah, but that was just a D&D campaign. White dragons were in the D&D white box in '74.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

You know, apparently his publishers did at one point suggest splitting TWOW into two books, which led me to think that maybe GRRM actually has written a whole lot, enough for two books, but the plot just hasn't progressed sufficiently in those pages to warrant a release. But then I thought about it some more and came to my senses.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Liquid Communism posted:

Calling this back but I mean, poo poo. The Silmarillion was never meant to be published. It was a cash-in by Christopher Tolkien cut together with his Dad's notes, and he openly regrets ever publishing it.

Oh, hey! As I was reminded today: Neil Gaiman's whole rant about how GRRM isn't our bitch was in 2009.

Nine years ago.

Actually Tolkien wanted to publish what was the Sil as part of the lotr publishing process and, no publisher being mad enough to take him up, tried again with the return of the king but ended up stalling at the appendices we have there.

CT May regret some of what went into the Sil but it wasn’t a cash grab and his father did give him the authority to publish more in that world in his will so it’s not like he wasn’t entitled to. What he regrets that I know of is creating the fall of Menegroth from whole cloth and changing the way he handled women in the story (they were more prominent in the notes of the time).

Sil is good.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I need to dig out my Monster Manual now

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, but that was just a D&D campaign. White dragons were in the D&D white box in '74.

NM, this covers it.

Fabulous Knight posted:

You know, apparently his publishers did at one point suggest splitting TWOW into two books, which led me to think that maybe GRRM actually has written a whole lot, enough for two books,

Isn't that exactly why AFFC was only half a book? Wasn't it released that way because he had reportedly written enough for 2 books?

What would lead you to believe that line again?

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 24, 2018

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Fabulous Knight posted:

You know, apparently his publishers did at one point suggest splitting TWOW into two books, which led me to think that maybe GRRM actually has written a whole lot, enough for two books, but the plot just hasn't progressed sufficiently in those pages to warrant a release. But then I thought about it some more and came to my senses.

I think it's more likely the publishers just went "Give us whatever you got that is even vaguely sensical so we can publish -something-. We'll fix it and have a title out while you 'work' on the 'rest'."

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
I'm a newer fan and have only been on this ride for about five years now, I wasn't aware that the same excuse had already been used before. The more you know. I didn't really so much consider it a legitimate possibility so much as just entertain the thought for a brief moment.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Fabulous Knight posted:

I'm a newer fan and have only been on this ride for about five years now, I wasn't aware that the same excuse had already been used before. The more you know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWa0dZMHYeE

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
lol affc and adwd don't even add up to a single complete book. He supposedly moved the climax into TWOW.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

quote:

Meanwhile, back on the Wall...

:lol:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Fabulous Knight posted:

I'm a newer fan and have only been on this ride for about five years now, I wasn't aware that the same excuse had already been used before. The more you know. I didn't really so much consider it a legitimate possibility so much as just entertain the thought for a brief moment.

sweet summer chylde....

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fabulous Knight posted:

GRRM is cyclical. The ride never ends.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

nine-gear crow posted:

GRRM is cyclical. The ride never ends.
I want to get of Mr. Martin's Boring Ride!

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Liquid Communism posted:

The distinction is he claims it is a dragon made of ice, not a white dragon ( eg: Ice based attacks ). Which is even stupider, to be honest.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

frankenfreak posted:

I want to get of Mr. Martin's Boring Ride!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Sonds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
"Sons" but with a superfluous consonant. Just like "nuncle".