Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jaded Burnout posted:

It's a floor to ceiling glass door anyway so if someone wanted in loud that would be the approach. I'm thinking more that a more secure lock is there to keep quiet entry out, which would be the equivalent of removing the hinges.
Are you saying the hinge is outside the door rather than in the jamb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ashcans posted:

Are their restrictions on how you do it? Because I would guess that those ragged holes and over-cuts around the edges make that worse for stress than if you drilled a proper round hole in it.

If I recall correctly, the restrictions are something like the hole has to be within the middle third of the board, can't be wider/longer than X (where X varies with the board size), and there's a minimum distance between holes.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Jusupov posted:

Someone saw Fallingwater and wanted to make one for themselves cheap

Fallingtrailer

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

MisterOblivious posted:

Double post, and I'm not sure what thread this is best in, but enjoy this collapsed bridge

"Like Falling Water, but somehow even less structurally sound"

E: I see now I was beaten to this joke multiple times

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

HEY NONG MAN posted:

And if I show up with a slip of paper saying I read ten Encyclopedia Brown books, you gotta give me a free personal pan pizza.
They still do this, which is kinda cool.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

HEY NONG MAN posted:

And if I show up with a slip of paper saying I read ten Encyclopedia Brown books, you gotta give me a free personal pan pizza.

If a lamp ever comes up for sale again I will do this :toxx:. I have had an ebay alert set up for about a year now.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

If a lamp ever comes up for sale again I will do this :toxx:. I have had an ebay alert set up for about a year now.

Brb. My dad needs to know I found a buyer for his old basement bar stuff.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Splicer posted:

Are you saying the hinge is outside the door rather than in the jamb?

Yes. Lemme see if I have a picture.

The hinge covers are similar to the front door, except there they're inside. I've seen under the covers on the front door and it's just some screws. I'm assuming the same is true on the back though I couldn't get the covers to pop off by hand and I didn't want to force it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Made a little discovery at work. Or I should say, the guys demoing the building next door made a discovery for me when they started to cut this conduit.

That is the exterior of my building. It's a lighting circuit for a stairwell, and apparently someone forgot to drop the conduit into the concrete pour. Their solution was to run it outside the beam into the void next to the neighboring structure.

Fortunately the guys didn't break the wire. I'll have to pay an electrician to surface-mount some conduit in the stairwell to hop from one light to the next. You know, actually within the property line of the building.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

if you have twitter, check Jake Rodkin's saga of the Pizza Hut Lampshade from fall 2017, he may have mentioned the sellers name.

(basically he bought one from a person who salvaged them from a demo, but it was packed extremely badly and arrived smashed into tiny little pieces. the seller offered a replacement but Jake would have to get it in person, which is definitely not creepy at all.)

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
From the funny pictures PYF

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
NO WARM, only cold or hot!

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrappyDesign/comments/8lrqgk/thank_you_for_choosing_hampton_inn_by_hilton_were?sort=confidence

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 24, 2018

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

dumb. posted:

From the funny pictures PYF

Psst

Psssst hey kid

piss tape is real

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Juliet balcony, sure. External door knob and lock.. hmm.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I imagine they just need to build a deck and haven’t done so yet. I’ve seen this in new builds before.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I imagine they just need to build a deck and haven’t done so yet. I’ve seen this in new builds before.

Could be, could be. I was going with "we need a french door to go here but proper ones are expensive, what doors are on sale at Lowe's?"

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Not Found

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Oh drat it, it's in reddit's lovely native video. Anyway it's here: https://www.reddit.com/r/CrappyDesign/comments/8lrqgk/thank_you_for_choosing_hampton_inn_by_hilton_were?sort=confidence

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Juliet balcony, sure. External door knob and lock.. hmm.

That light fixture also makes it look like it's intended to go somewhere.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Ashcans posted:

Probably a copy-paste job while laying out the neighborhood of townhomes that the builder shrugged and went with.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Ashcans posted:

Liquid Communism posted:

Probably a copy-paste job while laying out the neighborhood of townhomes that the builder shrugged and went with.

You're both very silly. It's obviously for vampire homeowners.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

value-brand cereal posted:

You're both very silly. It's obviously for vampire homeowners.
Dracula moth-bumping into the outside lamp while you're trying to sleep.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

drat

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Hide your face but flaunt the goods

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Splicer posted:

Hide your face but flaunt the goods

I was also thinking cruising spot.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

there wolf posted:

I was also thinking cruising spot.

Maybe cruising for a contractor that installed the posts with pre-installed hinges upside down

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Who needs a glory hole?

Someone forgot to read which side goes up and which goes down.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Note that the middle one has somehow gotten pushed *in* despite opening *out*.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Amazing thing is, they just kept going and didn't fix it after hanging the first door and seeing what it looked like.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Zil posted:

Amazing thing is, they just kept going and didn't fix it after hanging the first door and seeing what it looked like.

Dude doing the install: "hey uh I think this part in the plans is upsi-"
Manager: "The plans are fine, shut up and get to it"
Dude: "well ok then"

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Wife and I were thrilled last weekend to have our offer accepted on an older house. Our offer was contingent on the home passing a thorough inspection. The only thing going into the inspection that we were a little concerned about was that the city had the home registered with around 982 sqft for the home, where as the listing was 1100 sqft. While the home was over 100 years old, we chalked up the mismatch to poor record keeping.

Well yesterday was the inspection and the home failed it. The bones of the original house were great but there were two glaring issues the inspector found. First off, our inspector has looked at nearly 1000 homes in their career and this one was one of 4 homes she refused to get into the crawlspace to look around. Why? Well apparently there was a major rat infestation recently. The live rats moved out, but bodies and a shitload of feces were left which posed a huge health risk.

The other issue was the master bedroom "addon" that was done. Turns out, not only was it not to code, but the city had no idea it existed. It was cleverly done behind the house so the work could be hidden from the front. They built the entire master bedroom on top of a deck that was originally outside. There is no foundation whatsoever under the bedroom. The work involved to simply fix this issue was essentially tearing down 1 side of the house, digging up the deck, pouring a new foundation, and then rebuilding everything.

We walked.

Still bummed about it because if it was done properly and the previous owners care enough to take care of the rats, we would have had our dream home.
gently caress scamming owners. Now we gotta get back into the home shopping game again. Thanks to the housing crisis here, our options for affordable homes are limited as it is.

Such is life.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
That's a bummer, but much less of a bummer than not having caught those problems, moving into the home, and waking one morning to find that your bedroom having fallen into a pit, and a rat king about to attack.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bird in a Blender posted:

Who needs a glory hole?

Someone forgot to read which side goes up and which goes down.

I think they know exactly what was going to go down

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

they turned the deck into a bedroom?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

FCKGW posted:

And still somehow weren't aboveboard with it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

FCKGW posted:

It's kind of common in Chicago for people to extend their homes out over the deck, or the back stairwell. Normally though there's already a foundation so it's not that big of a deal. I'd like to imagine this is a bedroom sitting on 4 posts slowly sicking into the ground.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
For clarification, here's images from the listing:

Front angle of home. You can kinda see the addon poking out of the rear.

Inside the bedroom itself. Note the tiny set of stairs that lead down from the main house onto the bedroom "floor".

Backyard view showing the addon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Were they planning to add more steps as it sank?