Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

It's from the French word "sonders" - "to Plumb"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I just had a dream that I took ASOIaF back in time and Monty Python did their interpretation of it.

Was a glorious dream.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
On second though, let's not go to Dorne. 'Tis a silly place.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Syrio is not dead. He is just pining for the fjords.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

drat they just released clash of kings twice, good grift

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Hasselblad posted:

I just had a dream that I took ASOIaF back in time and Monty Python did their interpretation of it.

Was a glorious dream.

I do not believe deliberate farce could outdo the more recent seasons of Game of Thrones.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hasselblad posted:

Syrio is not dead. He is just pining for the fjords.

if you think about it, had they killed/captured him they probably would have nailed him up somewhere :tinfoil:

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trabandiumium posted:

drat they just released clash of kings twice, good grift

goddamn it. what i get for photoshopping while drunk.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Single and LOVING IT posted:

Wasn't there some interview where GRRM was talking about that book and how he'd invented ice dragons?

I mean once someone comes up with the concept of Ice [any animal] what is there left to invent.

Single and LOVING IT
Apr 4, 2004
The monkeys are coming. . .

banned from Starbucks posted:

I mean once someone comes up with the concept of Ice [any animal] what is there left to invent.

Ice GRRM.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He already sort of looks like the villain of a Christmas special:

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

The GRRiMch

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

And they say the GRRMinch's waistline grew three sizes that day.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

He already sort of looks like the villain of a Christmas special:

Ice pube beard

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I check in on Winds of Winter every three or four months to see if it has a publication date.

It's hilarious how he keeps disappointing fans. No, I don't want another Targaryen novel, let alone two. Maybe another Dunk & Egg, but not at the expense of Winds.

Does his publishing company not impose penalties?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Professor Shark posted:

I seriously doubt it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

kcroy posted:

I seriously doubt it.

I imagine they did years ago back when GRRM was functionally unknown, it was Dace With Dragons that was years past its promised delivery date and only weirdos on the internet gave a poo poo about it ever being published. Though at some point Bantam probably figured out that GRRM was so stubbornly lazy that he was immune to pressure, so it just wasn't worth it.

Then the GOT show money and fame started flowing in and any phantom leverage they had over him vanished completely.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yeah. HBO has given him the literal definition of gently caress Off Money.

I mean, I don't care if he never writes another word of ASoIaF, I'd just like him to admit that he won't. :)

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah. HBO has given him the literal definition of gently caress Off Money.

I mean, I don't care if he never writes another word of ASoIaF, I'd just like him to admit that he won't. :)

I used to feel that way too but now I'm kind of enjoying the frustration you find on the internet with regards to his lack of writing. It amazes me that there are still people after almost 7 years of barely any updates that still believe the book is right around the corner.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

I used to feel that way too but now I'm kind of enjoying the frustration you find on the internet with regards to his lack of writing. It amazes me that there are still people after almost 7 years of barely any updates that still believe the book is right around the corner.

I feel like he probably does still work on it, but at a glacial pace because of all the other poo poo he does like eating, football, eating, wild cards, etc and he no longer feels any compulsion to finish it quickly because he's rich, fat, old, and the show is gonna finish things before he's ever done anyways.

Also not entirely unlikely that he's rewriting parts of it to be different from the show which would slow things even more.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
lol he's a drat fool if he spends a single minute writing this dumb book. He's got hella money, could keel over at any moment, and everyone is totally fine with HBO finishing it for him. Go have fun fat man.

Single and LOVING IT
Apr 4, 2004
The monkeys are coming. . .
Has something like this happened before? Where a single author needs to react to an adaptation of their own work?

I know there's plenty of shared setting situations where an original creator of a character or world has to share, but this seems different.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I find solace thinking that GRRM is actually really pissed off that someone else is finishing his masterpiece and doing a hack job at it and he'll barely be remember as the guy who wrote the book adaptation of HBO's megahit. You made your bed fat man now you can loving lay in it!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I skipped a few thousand posts, is there any news of when HBO will release its novelization of season 7?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Single and LOVING IT posted:

Has something like this happened before? Where a single author needs to react to an adaptation of their own work?

I know there's plenty of shared setting situations where an original creator of a character or world has to share, but this seems different.

Happens a lot in anime. Fullmetal Alchemist, the original anime, went in a complete different direction from the original manga. And I'm sure there are other anime that have similarly outpaced and then deviated wildly from their source material.

Similarly, depending what you define as 'single author' there's always tv and film adaptations of comic books. Not so much generalized concepts like most superhero flicks, but more like when a movie or show tries to adapt a particular storyline. Like what Infinity War is ostensibly doing for Infinity Gauntlet, and so on.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Happens a lot in anime. Fullmetal Alchemist, the original anime, went in a complete different direction from the original manga. And I'm sure there are other anime that have similarly outpaced and then deviated wildly from their source material.

Similarly, depending what you define as 'single author' there's always tv and film adaptations of comic books. Not so much generalized concepts like most superhero flicks, but more like when a movie or show tries to adapt a particular storyline. Like what Infinity War is ostensibly doing for Infinity Gauntlet, and so on.

Trigun is the best example where I've actually watched/read the whole thing since it came out when I was 11.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

counterfeitsaint posted:

I find solace thinking that GRRM is actually really pissed off that someone else is finishing his masterpiece and doing a hack job at it and he'll barely be remember as the guy who wrote the book adaptation of HBO's megahit. You made your bed fat man now you can loving lay in it!

lol it took him 11 years to write 3/4ths of a book in this series. He absolutely does not care at all. If he's mad about anything it's that he still has people bothering him for it.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

jit bull transpile posted:

Trigun is the best example where I've actually watched/read the whole thing since it came out when I was 11.

Surprised I didn't remember that one.

Also, as a bit of an inversion of the GRRM situation, there's also arguably the whole situation with Splinter of the Mind's Eye and Star Wars.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

I skipped a few thousand posts, is there any news of when HBO will release its novelization of season 7?

<<soon>>

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

https://nouwcdn.com/7/1050000/1040000/1035307/pics/20151022745489601035307_sbig.gif

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

hobbesmaster posted:

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, etc.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Well people already fervently believe that Martin is somehow stealing enjoyment from them by not writing more crappy books.

However, the real reason why people are dissatisfied is that the books were always crappy.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I just want the bullet points scribbled on a napkin he gave to D&D so I can imagine my own non lovely ending that also includes piles of poo poo being thrown at danys corpse.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

banned from Starbucks posted:

I just want the bullet points scribbled on a napkin he gave to D&D so I can imagine my own non lovely ending that also includes piles of poo poo being thrown at danys corpse.

For what it’s worth, Emilia Clarke has said she’s already filmed Dany’s last moment on screen chronologically for the series and that it “hosed her up” significantly that that, whatever it was specifically, would be people’s final impression of the character after nearly a decade’s journey with her.

So who knows, maybe we are getting the poo poo corpse ending? That definitely fits the bill for “hosed up” by a vast margin.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The poo poo corpse is real.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
sounds more to me like she's talking about something dany is doing. Not what dany's corpse is pooing.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Maybe Jason Mamoa comes back to rape Dany for an entire episode, as the finale to the whole thing.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

For what it’s worth, Emilia Clarke has said she’s already filmed Dany’s last moment on screen chronologically for the series and that it “hosed her up” significantly that that, whatever it was specifically, would be people’s final impression of the character after nearly a decade’s journey with her.

So who knows, maybe we are getting the poo poo corpse ending? That definitely fits the bill for “hosed up” by a vast margin.

The pee tape poo finale is real

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Maybe Jason Mamoa comes back to rape Dany for an entire episode, as the finale to the whole thing.

Time is a flat circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

And then he tags in wight-Ramsay, for extra edgelord twist appeal.