Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Today's not a day for anything complicated. Let's head down to Brazil for some Yuri Fulone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJtKkUclxZY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Omnikin posted:

Should I spend $20 on a seated ticket for Slayer

I can't imagine not being GA

stubhub GA tickets

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

TollTheHounds posted:

I mean, I guess it's entirely "newsflash: not everyone likes everything everyone else does", but all I can think when I read this post is how incredibly wrong it is. The riffs are insane, and so varied even within a single song. I don't know how you couldn't headbang to As Decreed by Laws Unwritten or the chorus of Azagthoth, but those are also the only 2 mostly-purely death metal songs. If you came into the album expecting grind or pure death ( either in individual songs or the entire album ) then sure you'll be disappointed. The variation in tempo and styles within songs and between songs serves a singular purpose - to tell a story, to evoke a specific feeling, it is VERY prog in that aspect, and if you aren't down with that then I could definitely see you getting bored quickly. It's not purely death, it's not pure tech death, it's not pure prog, it's a bastard chimera that manages to make it all merge flawlessly.

This album bit me so hard, I literally listen to it 2 or 3 times a day and it still hasn't gotten old, I still keep discovering these amazing little moments and favourite parts. I really "get" what they've done here, I can feel the empty vastness of space, I can imagine the world they are depicting with my eyes closed.

I can see the vocals being a love or hate for sure, but somehow for me it just works for the songs, it's like they wrote the songs with how his vocals sound in mind rather than trying to shoehorn them on top. That kind of attention to detail permeates the entire album, they know this guy sounds like a bastard Geddy Lee ( or maybe he does it intentionally, I don't know ), it is very calculated and precise how fluid they have made every aspect.

I love the lyrics too, the more situations I listen to this album in the more the story starts to sink in and I think it's really cool.

I love Alkaloid :frogsiren:

Conversely, I find the new UADA boring as gently caress, it got a lot of hype and when I listen to it, nothing grabs me. No riffs stand out, it's not objectively BAD but it is subjectively boring.

Yeah man this is exactly how I feel! The album is such a WEIRD level of complex without being some goofy all over the place 500 ideas per second prog squart. I agree that the riffs are extremely good too. I don’t totally grasp the lyrics but now that I’m comfortable with the flow of the album I’ll start diving into those too.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Omnikin posted:

Should I spend $20 on a seated ticket for Slayer

I can't imagine not being GA

Too cool to hang out in the Superior Plumbing Lawn?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I tried to listen to a track from the new Alkaloid album, and all it did was remind me why I just don't bother with tech anything. What a pile of wank.

EDIT: Also I usually avoid commenting on stuff I just don't care about, but I figured I'd dip my toes in this time since it's been talked about so much.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
yeah i'll be honest i saw all the praise for the alkaloid stuff and i gave it a spin and it just didn't do anything for me at all.

pretty disappointing, thread.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

:itwaspoo:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I hope enough time has passed for me to able to ask this without getting yelled at: there are mosh pits at Ghost gigs? How? Bear in mind that I've listened to one Ghost song ever, the one with the video from the new album, unless they already have multiple videos for the new album, in which case it was the, uh, i don't know. I don't recall the video or the song. Thank.s

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nordick posted:

I tried to listen to a track from the new Alkaloid album, and all it did was remind me why I just don't bother with tech anything. What a pile of wank.

EDIT: Also I usually avoid commenting on stuff I just don't care about, but I figured I'd dip my toes in this time since it's been talked about so much.

There’s nothing wrong with your opinion or anything but it’s not wanky at all to me. I listen to a lot of dumb shred and wanky prog but the Alkaloid album is very focused and never self indulgent in the slightest. The most over the top things on the album are the solos and they’re some of the best written solos I’ve heard in metal for a while. Everyone gets different things from music though so it’s all good.

What albums have you been enjoying lately?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Smirr posted:

I hope enough time has passed for me to able to ask this without getting yelled at: there are mosh pits at Ghost gigs? How? Bear in mind that I've listened to one Ghost song ever, the one with the video from the new album, unless they already have multiple videos for the new album, in which case it was the, uh, i don't know. I don't recall the video or the song. Thank.s

Ghost mosh pits are apparently the perfect visual representation of their music as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbOnnAfzlz4

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That first track on Alkaloid was pretty bad. Then the 2nd kicked in and im like, oh yeah - ok, heard this a hundred times before when it was BTaM's Colors.

That's my Alkaloid

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Oldstench posted:

Ghost mosh pits are apparently the perfect visual representation of their music as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbOnnAfzlz4

lol

also lmao at this exchange from the comments:

"u call that a mosh pit?"

"no not really, but it was in the making and my son was in it, but for some dear that would be a death pit, like me.....lo ;)"

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005

Smirr posted:

Nah, there was no actual pit. It's just what the venue labeled the 15 feet in front of the stage for ticketing purposes. It was pretty chill. Just hot and crowded.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Captain Morose posted:

Nah, there was no actual pit. It's just what the venue labeled the 15 feet in front of the stage for ticketing purposes. It was pretty chill. Just hot and crowded.

Oh, OK. ... wait, the venue tickets standing space differently depending on distance from the stage? You don't just buy a ticket and then stand wherever the hell you want?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Smirr posted:

Oh, OK. ... wait, the venue tickets standing space differently depending on distance from the stage? You don't just buy a ticket and then stand wherever the hell you want?

The pit might be a step down from the rest of the floor and have people checking tickets

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Kilometers Davis posted:

There’s nothing wrong with your opinion or anything but it’s not wanky at all to me. I listen to a lot of dumb shred and wanky prog but the Alkaloid album is very focused and never self indulgent in the slightest. The most over the top things on the album are the solos and they’re some of the best written solos I’ve heard in metal for a while. Everyone gets different things from music though so it’s all good.

What albums have you been enjoying lately?

To be fair I am severely averse to certain kinds of prog and usually file any sort of arrythmic weirdness and time signature shenanigans under "wank". For reference, the song I listened to was Azagthoth, and it just rubbed me the wrong way right off the bat.

But just now I figured maybe I'll check some other song, and I admit Kernel Panic is a big improvement. It's still not exactly giving me an urge to listen to more, but it is actually kinda decent. Even if the proggy rythms kinda make some parts sound like a skipping CD to me. :v:

For the last several days I've mostly been alternating between the new Amorphis and Psychework albums. New Monument is solid too, although maybe not quite as good as their previous stuff.

Also much looking forward to Vermilia's debut album, it's just my kind of easy listening black metal, like a more straightforward Myrkur:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-Dn_aF-Z40

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
The new Gruesome is exactly what I needed. Hell yes.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Vintersorg posted:

That first track on Alkaloid was pretty bad. Then the 2nd kicked in and im like, oh yeah - ok, heard this a hundred times before when it was BTaM's Colors.

That's my Alkaloid

Colors is my favorite album ever so maybe that's why I love the new Alkaloid that much?? It doesn't get anywhere near as weird as certain parts of Colors though

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

kumba posted:

Colors is my favorite album ever so maybe that's why I love the new Alkaloid that much?? It doesn't get anywhere near as weird as certain parts of Colors though

Hilariously enough as someone who loves the new Alkaloid, Colors is the one BTBAM album I don’t like at all. I don’t listen to their old stuff much anymore though.

I also don’t get any sort of BTBAM vibe from Alkaloid :shrug: they reminds me of Gojira and Rush and weird prog death.

Nordick posted:

To be fair I am severely averse to certain kinds of prog and usually file any sort of arrythmic weirdness and time signature shenanigans under "wank". For reference, the song I listened to was Azagthoth, and it just rubbed me the wrong way right off the bat.

But just now I figured maybe I'll check some other song, and I admit Kernel Panic is a big improvement. It's still not exactly giving me an urge to listen to more, but it is actually kinda decent. Even if the proggy rythms kinda make some parts sound like a skipping CD to me. :v:

For the last several days I've mostly been alternating between the new Amorphis and Psychework albums. New Monument is solid too, although maybe not quite as good as their previous stuff.

Also much looking forward to Vermilia's debut album, it's just my kind of easy listening black metal, like a more straightforward Myrkur:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-Dn_aF-Z40

That’s understandable and to be fair the reasons you give for disliking it are relatively big plus sides for me. I will say though that at first I liked the album but nothing really jumped out. After another full listen + going back to certain songs, the entire thing hit me as a very, very good album. It was a grower for sure.

That Amorphis album rules. Another one I need to spend more time with. I haven’t heard Vermilia yet but easy listening black metal sounds like my pace. I’ll check it out.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I listened to the new Alkaloid and I feel like I'd just be needlessly negative, so instead here's a song I love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYPeoUq9AN0

The two riffs in the middle, one starting at 1:42, the other at 2:07, always make me want to slam lovely vodka straight from the bottle in a peat bog. Finnish black metal is so loving dumb, and yet, so good

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

All this Alkaloid debate influenced me to give it a whirl, and I'm in the camp of it being very, very good. It and the new Skeletal Remains are definitely my favorite albums of the year so far, though I have yet to listen to the new Gruesome.

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005

Smirr posted:

The rest of the floor (GA) was unassigned seating. Sit/stand wherever.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Also here's just a little public service reminder that Tyrant's Kall loving rip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KukzWsB8opg

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Nordick posted:

Also here's just a little public service reminder that Tyrant's Kall loving rip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KukzWsB8opg

:emptyquote:

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Yeah BTBAM's Colors and Parallax II are way, way better than Alkaloid, and I can see the comparison though it's not one I'd have jumped to. I love a lot of proggy stuff as well as outright prog but like I've said, Alkaloid just can't keep me interested. I'll agree that the new Skeletal Remains is killer though.

e: or more recently, I liked the new Slugdge, Augury, Ihsahn, Rivers of Nihil and BTBAM more than the new Alkaloid. Even the new Ne Obliviscaris was a bit better, and I found that one dissapointing. There's been a ton of great prog metal already this year either way though!

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 2, 2018

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I finally got around to the two latest Tyr albums they put out. Haven’t listened to them really since By the Light of the Northern Star, which I thought was decent, so I spun The Lay of Thrym and Valkyrja. Good poo poo, I love those guys. Not a bad album put out by them really.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

The last long track of that Alkaloid is kinda cool, but the whole album before that got too weird and all over the place for me to stay interested

I like non-proggy non-techy things like Perdition Temple, one of the best I saw at MDF https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzlYVzEOuFs

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
The new Ghost album is very fun and brings back the rock sax, so it's good, to me.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Hot Diggity! posted:

The new Ghost album is very fun and brings back the rock sax, so it's good, to me.

Speaking of that, can anyone at all help my friend and I figure out why the gently caress the piano riff in Pro Memoria that shows up around 1:08 sounds so loving familiar? It's driving us crazy.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Shugojin posted:

Speaking of that, can anyone at all help my friend and I figure out why the gently caress the piano riff in Pro Memoria that shows up around 1:08 sounds so loving familiar? It's driving us crazy.

I'm not sure but the vocals that kick in around the same time remind me way too much of Weird Al and it's making me uncomfortable.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Captain Morose posted:

So, uh, some dude had a coronary in the pit at the Milwaukee Ghost show tonight and died. We all got to watch EMTs try to revive the guy for 45 minutes before they called it and cancelled the rest of the show.

He literally dropped right after Pro Memoria. Our cynical brains were like, is this a stunt? The timing is just too improbable! It wasn't. Not a great night.

Jeez. At the Fort Wayne show Tuesday some dude collapsed and had to be carried out. Didn't die though, to my knowledge.

New Ghost is indeed good. Listened through it once, going through it a second time now.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

That alkaloid album sounds really corny

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

People aren't going to give a gently caress about Alkaloid if it's not their cup of tea. I love what they're doing but people aren't going to be convinced no matter how many paragraphs are written about it.

Honestly Slugdge is the top release in my mind for this year so far.

Hail Satan and Death to False Metal.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

What I'm hearing about the new Alkaloid is how I felt about the new Slugdge - nothing really grabbed me or was memorable or made me want to listen again. It was alright I guess.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

symbolic posted:

What I'm hearing about the new Alkaloid is how I felt about the new Slugdge - nothing really grabbed me or was memorable or made me want to listen again. It was alright I guess.

Glad I’m not alone here :kimchi:

Still trying to have an open mind, it just seems to only want filth and decay

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I haven’t stuck with the new Sludgde and I don’t know why. That album seemed extremely good to me but I moved into other stuff. I’ll play it more this week. There are too many great releases this year.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

A human heart posted:

That alkaloid album sounds really corny

it sounds like a bad off-broadway musical score

the problem with prog metal in general is the metal part is almost always really weak

reminds me of the 2nd most apt criticism of dream theater, which probably came from here, that they're the world's most polite metal band

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

reminds me of the 2nd most apt criticism of dream theater, which probably came from here, that they're the world's most polite metal band

I dunno man, I think sounding so loving annoying is extremely rude of them.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

What's the first most apt criticism of dream theater?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bertrand Hustle posted:

What's the first most apt criticism of dream theater?

my favorite is when they were listening to some dream theater song and one of them was like "they're using every preset on the keyboard"