Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

It's "Retina" at 1920x1080, and it gives you the option of scaling it up to 2560x1440 without taking up as much desk space as a 27" (which I also have an really like)

I just got it to play with, it was a package deal, and will probably sell/trade it in a few weeks.
That's not 4k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just buy a Dell UltraSharp with a billion inputs and a decent stand

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Thanks Ants posted:

Just buy a Dell UltraSharp with a billion inputs and a decent stand

:yeah:

I was allowed to take home two Dell ultrasharps from work for my home office. Those things are gorgeous too. Only 1080, but my partner does lots of art and loves them.

We don't actually have a work from home policy. I've used them for work maybe once or twice. I have no idea why the director of my department approved this. But poo poo, we had too many monitors taking up our storage space, so all of us systems guys and gals got to take one home if we wanted.

Everyone else in the company got the chance to buy one for $50 and we sold twenty in like, two hours.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 2, 2018

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

adorai posted:

That's not 4k.

It's not 22" either :smith:

At 219 pixels per inch to deliver 4K resolution (4069 x 2304 at 21.5”)

The scaled resolutions are a little weird.

It's not actually 1920x1080, it's not 1920x1200 either, it's 2048 x 1152

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

16:10 supremacy

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

16:10 supremacy

21:9 supremacy

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

I prefer a hyrbid approach

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
I hire people that look like they're interested in self study and improving themselves. Certs are a good way to show "hey, I do and learn stuff that outside of work" at least, plus if you brain dumped then I'll find out during the interview or first 90 days when you get tickets assigned to you and you have no idea what you're doing.

Certs can only help you get a job when you don't have experience. Next to that is creating your own home lab and start messing around with mini projects. Hell, a candidate without any certs or experience but can set up a Plex server is better than someone with nothing at all.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Well, seamless SSO is a piece of piss to enable. Works really nicely as well, though I'm convinced that between people logging in with a PIN and not having to sign into any Office 365 or SAML apps they are all going to forget their passwords.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sepist posted:

Eww 1080p

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sepist posted:

txt me

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Fool posted:

I don’t remember ever needing ECC, but if you didn’t have exactly the right speed and latency you were going to have a bad time.

I forget the specifics, but Macs have always been incredibly picky about RAM.

Interesting observation about RAM on the motherboard. The incidence of RAM errors causing downtime dropped off considerably after the RAM stopped being a removable part. There weren't a lot to begin with, but the failure (or needing to be re-seated) rate went to almost zero. Overall our Macs have a quarter of the downtime due to hardware issues than the HP Elitebooks do.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I'll assume there must be a few experts here on microwave relays. My company has them in use in one of our sites. Due to due legal reasons ( a former employee fell off the roof). I'm not allowed to personally go up and deal with them.

Anyway we hired a contractor for about $400 an hour (not my choice). I was out with this asshat at the site and our entire network went down as soon as he left of course. He lied to me about the troubleshooting and I caught it fully I only wish I could have recorded him.

I know the fucker did it. I can't go out there out and prove it until it Monday. I am highly considering taking a ladder now and going out going out there. gently caress it, just to prove that he is defrauding us.

Would it be worth it? That's what I ask myself? should I just let it go to my superiors while I'm blamed? I want him to to be blamed. I feel like I need to protect myself. I'm unsure what to do at this point.

My implied orders are to wait until Monday and then head on site. I simply worry about my future if I'm not proactive. A win here would secure this position for me.

I'm unsure what I should do at this point. The simple solution is to let it go until Monday but chances are waiting that long is a loss for me.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

DropsySufferer posted:

I'll assume there must be a few experts here on microwave relays. My company has them in use in one of our sites. Due to due legal reasons ( a former employee fell off the roof). I'm not allowed to personally go up and deal with them.

Anyway we hired a contractor for about $400 an hour (not my choice). I was out with this asshat at the site and our entire network went down as soon as he left of course. He lied to me about the troubleshooting and I caught it fully I only wish I could have recorded him.

I know the fucker did it. I can't go out there out and prove it until it Monday. I am highly considering taking a ladder now and going out going out there. gently caress it, just to prove that he is defrauding us.

Would it be worth it? That's what I ask myself? should I just let it go to my superiors while I'm blamed? I want him to to be blamed. I feel like I need to protect myself. I'm unsure what to do at this point.

My implied orders are to wait until Monday and then head on site. I simply worry about my future if I'm not proactive. A win here would secure this position for me.

I'm unsure what I should do at this point. The simple solution is to let it go until Monday but chances are waiting that long is a loss for me.

Dude. It’s not worth it. It’s not your money. The business will not go out of business over a $400 an hour contractor. And if it does it was already doomed.

I was a poo poo head that ran myself into the ground when I was younger. And you know what it doesn’t matter. poo poo will get done and they should fire you if you disobey a direct order like that.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

DropsySufferer posted:

Due to due legal reasons ( a former employee fell off the roof). I'm not allowed to personally go up and deal with them.

:thunk:

DropsySufferer posted:

I'd be more likely to bet that you violating company policy would end up in a near 100% chance of you being sacked for it.

DropsySufferer posted:

I am highly considering taking a ladder now and going out going out there. gently caress it, just to prove that he is defrauding us.

:stare: If it was really worth that much to the business, they'd have charged back the original visit, and demanded the contracting company send someone send a replacement tech out immediately to fix the problem. That's what SLA's are for.

DropsySufferer posted:

:frogon:

DropsySufferer posted:

You should.. probably wait until Monday. It's not your money, why care? Let them :homebrew:

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 2, 2018

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

Overall our Macs have a quarter of the downtime due to hardware issues than the HP Elitebooks do.
This is also probably due to the fact that Apple employs engineers to engineer their products (opinions about soldered components and that new keyboard aside) whereas HP employs accountants for all their engineering tasks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Snip: How did this post end up here?

Sickening fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 3, 2018

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SeaborneClink posted:

:thunk:

I'd be more likely to bet that you violating company policy would end up in a near 100% chance of you being sacked for it.

:stare: If it was really worth that much to the business, they'd have charged back the original visit, and demanded the contracting company send someone send a replacement tech out immediately to fix the problem. That's what SLA's are for.

:frogon:

You should.. probably wait until Monday. It's not your money, why care? Let them :homebrew:

his post reads as him being afraid that if he doesn't prove it was the contractor by monday, his superiors are going to blame him and possibly fire him for what the contractor did.

Thats a hosed if you do hosed if you don't tho, because if you ignore the policy and go up there they WILL fire you for violating company policy.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sickening posted:

Regionals was fun and magic is the best.

Got it hear a player say “can’t I check my opponents blood moon like chalice of the void?”. Apparently he was cracking a canopy with blood moon out and thought he was allowed to test his opponents watchfulness. At least he was being honest about this and made his dq easier.

Also during the next to last round a player challenged the authenticity of his opponents cardboard which led to a judge spending way too much time on it. Needless to say nobody involved had any real knowledge over the subject and the player resumed play. Judges don’t do this, you are just giving grinders ways to waste your time.

I recognized your Necropotence avatar years ago but wasn't sure if it's because you're a magic the gathering nerd. Then again I haven't played it since '96 and still recognized the art.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

RFC2324 posted:

his post reads as him being afraid that if he doesn't prove it was the contractor by monday, his superiors are going to blame him and possibly fire him for what the contractor did.

Thats a hosed if you do hosed if you don't tho, because if you ignore the policy and go up there they WILL fire you for violating company policy.

You just write emails as soon as you can and get them sent off. Tell everybody what the contractor did, that there's an ongoing outage, what you did to check all other equipment to prove it's not your problem, and the timeline of contractor leaving and outage beginning. Let them all know the truth without delay.

If they fault you for work the contractor did in a restricted area you don't have access to, that company is hosed and don't hold you above a pile of beans anyway. There's no way you should stress over a company like that, your life is worth more.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sickening posted:

Regionals was fun and magic is the best.

Got it hear a player say “can’t I check my opponents blood moon like chalice of the void?”. Apparently he was cracking a canopy with blood moon out and thought he was allowed to test his opponents watchfulness. At least he was being honest about this and made his dq easier.

Also during the next to last round a player challenged the authenticity of his opponents cardboard which led to a judge spending way too much time on it. Needless to say nobody involved had any real knowledge over the subject and the player resumed play. Judges don’t do this, you are just giving grinders ways to waste your time.

Wat. Were we talking MtG in this thread? I’m really unsure who has the head-trauma, me or you.

I’m leaning toward me.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Proteus Jones posted:

Wat. Were we talking MtG in this thread? I’m really unsure who has the head-trauma, me or you.

I’m leaning toward me.

No its me. Phone posting under a bad connection and how it was posted to this thread instead of the one I meant to post it in. Even when I edit the post on my phone its in that thread. :iiam:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DropsySufferer posted:

Due to due legal reasons ( a former employee fell off the roof). I'm not allowed to personally go up and deal with them.

I would fire you before you could finish telling me you were on the roof I explicitly told you not to go on because we had a person fall to their one assumes severe injury. Obviously they do not have sufficient PPE in place to arrest your fall, and you might not survive.

You need to CYA on this before your boss hears about it from the liar. Setup a neutral tone timeline and draw a conclusion. In the neutral tone timeline state what the contractor told you verbally. If they choose to call you a liar over it, look for new work.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

H110Hawk posted:

look for new work.

I may appear to be shouting this down a well, but do everything in this post AND this as well.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

I would fire you before you could finish telling me you were on the roof I explicitly told you not to go on because we had a person fall to their one assumes severe injury. Obviously they do not have sufficient PPE in place to arrest your fall, and you might not survive.

You need to CYA on this before your boss hears about it from the liar. Setup a neutral tone timeline and draw a conclusion. In the neutral tone timeline state what the contractor told you verbally. If they choose to call you a liar over it, look for new work.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You just write emails as soon as you can and get them sent off. Tell everybody what the contractor did, that there's an ongoing outage, what you did to check all other equipment to prove it's not your problem, and the timeline of contractor leaving and outage beginning. Let them all know the truth without delay.

If they fault you for work the contractor did in a restricted area you don't have access to, that company is hosed and don't hold you above a pile of beans anyway. There's no way you should stress over a company like that, your life is worth more.

Yes, this is what you do. Do not get a loving ladder and climb up on the roof that a) you've been explicitly forbidden to ever be on and b) you know has caused serious injury or death to the last untrained dumbass that tried it.

Obviously this is a crappy situation and you are stressed out. But go hit the gym / get drunk / play video games or whatever you do to unwind. Don't make it worse for yourself.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sickening posted:

No its me. Phone posting under a bad connection and how it was posted to this thread instead of the one I meant to post it in. Even when I edit the post on my phone its in that thread. :iiam:
Hell, even having not played since Chronicles, with a brief return for Mirrodin, I was happy to see some MT:G content. I won't be getting back into the game, but it's a hobby I respect, so hearing a story here and there is fun for me.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Aunt Beth posted:

This is also probably due to the fact that Apple employs engineers to engineer their products (opinions about soldered components and that new keyboard aside) whereas HP employs accountants for all their engineering tasks.

Fun Elitebook Fact: On the 820 G1 and G2s, the stupid rubber feet that cover the service plate screws are numbered and there's a diagram in the service manual showing which numbers fit which screw holes. On the 840 G1 and G2s (and G3s if memory serves) there are no numbers on the stupid rubber feet and of course there is no diagram. The fact that this is so says volumes about HP's internal organization.

Those loving idiots

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I just want a Lenovo 15" s-model with more than a 15W TDP cpu. My current W550s is pissing me off to the point where I might go back to the old W530 until they release the P52 with an 8. gen cpu.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

SeaborneClink posted:

I may appear to be shouting this down a well, but do everything in this post AND this as well.

I have an exit plan in place in case the sword falls directly on me. I've already contacted my last company and I'm welcome to come back.

Docjowles posted:

Yes, this is what you do. Do not get a loving ladder and climb up on the roof that a) you've been explicitly forbidden to ever be on and b) you know has caused serious injury or death to the last untrained dumbass that tried it.

Obviously this is a crappy situation and you are stressed out. But go hit the gym / get drunk / play video games or whatever you do to unwind. Don't make it worse for yourself.

I thank everyone here for being the voice of reason keeping me from considering doing something very stupid.

I am in fear of my job because I'm only a month and a half in. That's what's causing me to think less rationally then I should be. I have already sent out a full report detailing every action of the contractor to the VP, and other managers. I've done everything I possibly can now. Short of risking killing myself.

I'm no longer worrying about this and if I'm pressed much more I will resign the position. gently caress them for throwing me into something without enough knowledge.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

DropsySufferer posted:

I have an exit plan in place in case the sword falls directly on me. I've already contacted my last company and I'm welcome to come back.

I thank everyone here for being the voice of reason keeping me from considering doing something very stupid.

I am in fear of my job because I'm only a month and a half in. That's what's causing me to think less rationally then I should be. I have already sent out a full report detailing every action of the contractor to the VP, and other managers. I've done everything I possibly can now. Short of risking killing myself.

I'm no longer worrying about this and if I'm pressed much more I will resign the position. gently caress them for throwing me into something without enough knowledge.

Also, if you would’ve gone up on the roof and took pictures the contractor would probably say something like:

“That’s not how I left it. DropsySufferer obviously tampered with it before taking pictures. Wasn’t the whole reason for hiring me that employees aren’t allowed on the roof? If he disregards those rules he’s probably crazy enough to mess with electronics he shouldn’t be touching either!”

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

DropsySufferer posted:

Nothing about this post suggests your company will blame you or give you a hard time about this. Do you have some other reason that you think you will be blamed, or is this simple paranoia?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DropsySufferer posted:

Yay! Enjoy your weekend.

Make them fire you, don't quit. Unemployment plus they can't rewrite history to their managers that you up and quit.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

H110Hawk posted:

Yay! Enjoy your weekend.

Make them fire you, don't quit. Unemployment plus they can't rewrite history to their managers that you up and quit.

I have a feeling the whole thing is way overblown new-job-nerves and management won't actually care, let alone bring down the pain on the new guy. Maybe theyll be pissed, maybe somebody will be disappointed, but two weeks from now if it doesn't happen again it will be completely forgotten.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It definitely sounds that way to me.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I have a feeling the whole thing is way overblown new-job-nerves and management won't actually care, let alone bring down the pain on the new guy. Maybe theyll be pissed, maybe somebody will be disappointed, but two weeks from now if it doesn't happen again it will be completely forgotten.

Agreed. poo poo happens.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is anyone able to explain outsourcing? And explain it well?

Since I’ve started consulting with hundred of companies about three years (yes it’s still a small sample size but I have some experience) it’s incredibly common but I have yet to see a - single - instance where it was actually beneficial. The quality is just poor.

The added bureaucracy just due to the fact they’re not actual employees slows everything down, the contractors aren’t really that engaged beyond just meeting their SLA. True, everyone needs to hit their numbers but there’s more to just doing the basics but actually learn the environment and automating systems do there are less tickets in the first place.

Knowledge transfers are awful for everyone including the business and to this day all the fancy teleconferencing in the world hasn’t replaced basic physical face-to-face communication. This isn’t a criticism of the person however at least in the United States you’ve got to be able to speak English and speak it well. If you can’t communicate it doesn’t matter how smart you are at all.

Personally, all I see outsourcing for IT at the least is overwhelmingly just a way for unimaginative leaders to shave of a few points that don’t understand technology not actual business value.

But I guess making shareholders happy is the cool thing to do so...

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 4, 2018

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Executive gets to take the credit for saving the company money, use that as a bullet point when switching to next job in whose interview they can straight-faced say "saved previous company $X/year" and thus bail before the fallout from outsourcing hits current company.

Is there anything else to it really?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Sometimes, human labour can be cheaper than figuring out how to make a computer do it. In theory you could have the perfect machine learning algorithm sort out inappropriate content, but thats hard so paying a firm in the Philippines piecemeal to double check things your algorithm flags, but isn't sure about becomes the better option both financially and in terms of efficacy. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/23/facebook-privacy-scandal-has-a-plus-thousands-of-new-jobs-ai-cant-do.html

Firing your internal IT guy and letting an Israeli MSP do it is probably a bad idea though.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Methanar posted:

Sometimes, human labour can be cheaper than figuring out how to make a computer do it. In theory you could have the perfect machine learning algorithm sort out inappropriate content, but thats hard so paying a firm in the Philippines piecemeal to double check things your algorithm flags, but isn't sure about becomes the better option both financially and in terms of efficacy. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/23/facebook-privacy-scandal-has-a-plus-thousands-of-new-jobs-ai-cant-do.html

Firing your internal IT guy and letting an Israeli MSP do it is probably a bad idea though.
Most companies working on AI problems have an MVP based on human labor. Eventually, once they prove there's a market, they invest the engineering effort to make it more efficient, then to make it go away completely.

Expensify uses Mechanical Turk to scan receipts:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/11/expensify-acknowledges-potential-privacy-problem-by-calling-it-a-feature/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

Sometimes, human labour can be cheaper than figuring out how to make a computer do it.
When IBM bought SoftLayer the joke was that they only bought the servers and none of the automation or stack, so in typical thrifty IBM fashion every time you hit OK to spin up a new instance it just sent a message to a room full of people India who immediately began frantically clicking around in a VMWare console.