Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Buu was just killed on the episode aired Saturday. I think there is 1 episode left to wrap up Z but then no idea what will air in that slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

zelah posted:

They haven’t said if they’re even doing Buu yet. If they do keep going, I’d hope they’d do Super, because I’d much rather rewatch that than GT

kai buu saga exists tho, so I'm not sure what you mean here

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Manatee Cannon posted:

kai buu saga exists tho, so I'm not sure what you mean here

I think he's mixing up Kai and Abridged.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I had my threads crossed, I was talking about giant bomb’s All Systems Goku podcast. Sorry

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

well speaking of that podcast, I've been enjoying it a lot. it can be a little frustrating at times since occasionally they'll miss something really obvious/already explained, but it's fun to hear their dumb theories about what's gonna happen and see what they get right

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

zelah posted:

I had my threads crossed, I was talking about giant bomb’s All Systems Goku podcast. Sorry

I actually started that last week. I caught up to the Androids as of this afternoon. Their speculations are interesting, and I love their assessments of Yamcha.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I think they meme on Yamcha a little too much. I watched Z first and I didn't care about him as much as they do. It is fun hearing new views on DB as it's do rare.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i used to like Yamcha because he's good in DB but he really is a lovely loser in Z

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yamcha's still a lovely loser in db tbh

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

he's a funny lovely loser, at least

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Manatee Cannon posted:

yamcha's still a lovely loser in db tbh
Wasn't he still dating the richest girl on the planet by the time Dragon Ball was over?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bulma makes bad choices sometimes but dating someone out of his league (until she dumps him for cheating on her) doesn't mean he's not a loser

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

It...actually kind of does, yeah.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hot take: someone you know being successful does not make you successful. neither does leeching off your girlfriend

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

He was a loser, but then he went on to be a very successful pro baseball player.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Yamcha plays a vital role in the Z Fighters by managing their baseball team.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Yamcha literally saved the world in Super.

With baseball.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

TheLoneStar posted:

Wasn't he still dating the richest girl on the planet by the time Dragon Ball was over?

He was dating one of the most important people in the series and then hosed it all up by cheating on her. Yamcha is the world's dumbest man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

He was dating one of the most important people in the series and then hosed it all up by cheating on her. Yamcha is the world's dumbest man.

To be fair if he hadn't cheated on Bulma the world would have been doomed eventually. It isn't like Yamcha and Bulma's kid could come back and wreck Frieza's poo poo.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The start of the Dragon Ball manga to when they finally meet Shenron might be one of my favorite stories in any medium, so all the regulars from then mean the world to me. I'll always have a spot in my heart for Yamcha, Pu'ar, Oolong, Ox King, and all the other weirdos.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I think they dropped the ball when they made saiyans the only choice to take down bad guys. It sucks that the humans are just there, even if they learn how to fly or something.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Krillin deserved a better showing in combat after Namek. Dude just kept punching above his weight class, threat of death be damned.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
It’s a testament to Toriyama’s writing that Dragonball has these really major storytelling flaws (saiyan supremacy, ‘who’s strongest’ rather than ‘who’s most clever,’ eventual samey fights in late z) but he still had a compelling interesting story each arc, even if Buu fell apart about half way through.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

NienNunb posted:

The start of the Dragon Ball manga to when they finally meet Shenron might be one of my favorite stories in any medium, so all the regulars from then mean the world to me. I'll always have a spot in my heart for Yamcha, Pu'ar, Oolong, Ox King, and all the other weirdos.

I love that the first contact most American fans had with the franchise is DBZ, which starts at a point when every weird friend Goku made along the way is so old hat there's no explanation of who they are.

"Well, gotta go to Kami's Lookout. I think I'll drop in on Koren while I'm there. NIIIMBUS!"
"What? Who? What?"

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Tien still has one of the best fights in the entire series and gets pivotal moments in multiple Z arcs so I'm satisfied with the DB representation inthe later stuff. the only real downside is that power has escalated so far that Tenkaichi Budokai just isn't feasible anymore. :smith:

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

dogsicle posted:

Tien still has one of the best fights in the entire series and gets pivotal moments in multiple Z arcs so I'm satisfied with the DB representation inthe later stuff. the only real downside is that power has escalated so far that Tenkaichi Budokai just isn't feasible anymore. :smith:

I wouldn't really call using Tri-Beam to slightly inconvenience villains so that the episode can be stretched out pivotal

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Tien basically accomplishes nothing after King Piccolo.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ekusukariba posted:

I wouldn't really call using Tri-Beam to slightly inconvenience villains so that the episode can be stretched out pivotal

you're very ungenerous

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The humans had to be worthless cause there wasn't much narrative space for them once bad guys effectively stopped having minions and started being one man threats.

also if you're looking for another dragon ball podcast to listen to i recommend Balling Out Super.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's an ok podcast, i like the eps where they have guests who lowkey roast them for liking dragonball. also they should've watched botg as the movie.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Funky Valentine posted:

Tien basically accomplishes nothing after King Piccolo.

Tien accomplishes more in Z than any non-Saiyan non-Piccolo character thru his own actions. Well, okay, anyone not called Bulma.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Krillin (teamed up with Vegeta) is the reason Perfect Cell got made, since he actively chose to not kill 18. I'd say that's a bigger accomplishment.

Also Mr. Satan got Buu to become a good guy.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Toriyama easily could have come up with some power-up to keep Tien or Yamcha or whoever relevant, he just wasn't interested in writing them anymore.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blockhouse posted:

Toriyama easily could have come up with some power-up to keep Tien or Yamcha or whoever relevant, he just wasn't interested in writing them anymore.

I have to genuinely wonder this when he bothered to bring Tenshinhan back for both Resurrection "F" and the Tournament of Power then had him just kind of suck terribly, especially in the latter where he makes Yamcha at his worst look competent.

It's like he really, really hates the character but unlike Yamcha he actually remembers who he is, so he gets to feel the hatred. He's interested in making the guy suffer and destroying any goodwill he may have, it seems.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Dias posted:

Tien accomplishes more in Z than any non-Saiyan non-Piccolo character thru his own actions. Well, okay, anyone not called Bulma.

Incorrect. Krillin kept Gohan alive throughout Namek, whereas Tien couldn't keep his little buddy from blowing himself up for no reason.

TIEN FUCKIN SUCKS AND SUPER RECOGNIZED THAT

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Dias posted:

He beat one Saibamen (Vegeta killed it) whereas Krillin killed three, and I think that one Saibamen is the only victory Tien actually gets in Z

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I appreciate that Toriyama put Tien on a bus at the end of Cell but then brought him back at the end of Buu just so he could show how lovely Tien is again.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Did Tien gently caress your wife? Why the anger

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

also if you're looking for another dragon ball podcast to listen to i recommend Balling Out Super.

They don't like Vegeta so it's actually bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

Did Tien gently caress your wife? Why the anger

Tien never hosed anyone