Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

TheDK posted:

Try peeing all over them!

:thejoke:

Anyway I hope these come around because I'm really enjoying their story.

Watering doesn't seem to be an issue. Maybe too much sun?

:smug: oh don't worry there will be piss

E. Shoot, let me repost my question:

Uhh, my plants look like this now.

The leaves are curled on the sides and probably smaller than they should be (at least for the second picture, the Garden Gems). I think it's physiological leaf roll, does anyone have advice on how to fix it?

In case it matters, I'm in the SF bay area, hardiness zone 9 (b?), and currently the average temperature is in the high 60's to low 70's during the day and well above 50 degrees at night. There's low humidity here and it doesn't rain very often. Also, on the bridge, it's pretty windy and I think that might be the main cause?

I've been watering them deeply and less frequently for a couple weeks now and the slight yellowing is gone. The plants are solid and a nice deep green, it's just that the curl won't go away...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
1) I only yesterday learned you can use a pump sprayer to apply diatomaceous earth! Basically mix it in the can with 2 parts water (I used 3 parts because I was worried about clogging but had no problems) and go to town. When it dries you've got a nice coating of insect-scale broken glass protecting all your foliage. Of course it hasn't lasted long with all the rains, but it is safe and easy as hell, and should stay on the undersides of leaves for longer which is the real trouble area.

2) is there any problem with using neonicinoids on non-flowering crops (specifically in pots)? I don't want to poison any bees, but am thinking judicious systemic treatment might be better overall than spraying everything with malathion repeatedly. What about leafy crops/after blossoms have set? (Obviously still have to watch the Days before Harvest guidelines if I do a late application).

Cory Parsnipson posted:

:smug: oh don't worry there will be piss

E. Shoot, let me repost my question:

Uhh, my plants look like this now.

The leaves are curled on the sides and probably smaller than they should be (at least for the second picture, the Garden Gems). I think it's physiological leaf roll, does anyone have advice on how to fix it?

In case it matters, I'm in the SF bay area, hardiness zone 9 (b?), and currently the average temperature is in the high 60's to low 70's during the day and well above 50 degrees at night. There's low humidity here and it doesn't rain very often. Also, on the bridge, it's pretty windy and I think that might be the main cause?

I've been watering them deeply and less frequently for a couple weeks now and the slight yellowing is gone. The plants are solid and a nice deep green, it's just that the curl won't go away...

DIY & Hobbies > Veggie and Herb Gardening: Hobo Piss-Tomatoes

Hubis fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 2, 2018

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

What's going on with my tomatoes?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Looks like blossom end rot. Try fertilizing with something high in phosphorous. There are also some sprays out there that are supposed to help, but I haven't used them. My tomatoes had this last year and it sucks, basically all of the early tomatoes had to be tossed. You might even consider premptively pulling the unripe tomatoes to help conserve the plants energy.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Mikey Purp posted:

Looks like blossom end rot. Try fertilizing with something high in phosphorous. There are also some sprays out there that are supposed to help, but I haven't used them. My tomatoes had this last year and it sucks, basically all of the early tomatoes had to be tossed. You might even consider premptively pulling the unripe tomatoes to help conserve the plants energy.

I thought it was calcium?

Anyways, can also be caused by very inconsistent soil moisture. But yeah, once it appears it'll always be a blight on the affected fruit and cause it to mature with open sores on it, so if they are still small just prune them to cut your losses.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
On the other hand last year I had a couple tomatoes with a touch of that and if you just cut off the bottom they were fine to eat.

In regards to the question about the curled-up leaves, I think that can be caused by any number of things, I had it once from low temps but sounds like that's not your issue, but it might just have to outgrow it, not sure the current leaves will ever really recover. Also it's hard to tell how big those pots are but they might appreciate an up-potting.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Mozi posted:

On the other hand last year I had a couple tomatoes with a touch of that and if you just cut off the bottom they were fine to eat.

Yeah sorry, I made it sound catastrophic. I'd say about half of mine that were affected basically rotted on the vine, and half of them just had ugly blotches on the end but were still otherwise ok. But still, if they haven't developed much then you'll probably get better results pruning them.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Speaking of curling leaves, can anyone diagnose what's going on with my blackberry bushes?

The lower 2/3 of the bush seems fine, but some of the newest leaves are curled and hard. The soil is very clay-heavy and had a high pH, but I mixed some acidifier in when I planted. Fertilized with blood meal.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 5, 2018

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
It’s a bit blurry on the phone. How has the weather been where you are? Looks to me a little like extreme temp damage. You can cut those parts off and see if it shoots some new growth.

I believe that berries generally like well drained soil, so clay is not be the best. You can try adding some gypsum when you water. You can get small bags of it at Ace, or any local hardware store. Sometimes called soil buster.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I thought end rot like that was usually calcium. Tomatoes in general are pretty greedy feeders so if you can keep them on a pretty regular bath of decent organic fertilizer a lot of the end rot goes away. It they're damping off and rotting that's a whole different problem.

I'm a big fan of the Neptune's Harvest stuff. It's not cheap but it makes some beautiful peppers and tomatoes. Make sure you're planting somewhere that the row will almost completely dry out before it gets watered and you''ll eliminate all the end rot issues. Just keep feeding them, indeterminates in particular will go loving wild if you get them on a good fertilizer routine. We had some in the old garden that were 15' tall and just making GBS threads tomatoes.

I'll try to take pictures in the morning but my Yellow Cayenne plants are exploding with set fruit. I think I'm going to let them grow and pickle them like a hotter sandwich pepper, probably sliced up with some red pepper and garlic. Everything else is in that transplant lull, but I think the cucumbers are about to hit with a vengeance.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
How often should I be fertilizing? I've got some liquid fertilizer and worm tea that I've been mixing with water and giving a sprinkle maybe twice a week.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

maybe it's been the weather (humid and gross, lots of rain and clouds, but not a lot of horrible heat that comes with 8+ hours of direct sun) but my tomato plants are doing ridiculously well and the plum tomato plant already set 2 fruits and both have plenty of blossoms already

last year I had a lot of trouble with my single plant, it never set much fruit until literally september because it was so hot, but I think I didn't have it until it pretty late into the season too.

my basil is doing really well and I ate a bunch of it today. I should make fresh mozzarella and do something tasty once the tomatoes come in too. :D

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
My Sungold cherry tomato is having some kinda problem, its lower branches are turning yellow and spotty and the discoloration is climbing up the plant. The adjacent Sweet Million seems unaffected. WHAT DO

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Schmeichy posted:

How often should I be fertilizing? I've got some liquid fertilizer and worm tea that I've been mixing with water and giving a sprinkle maybe twice a week.

Depends on the fertilizer - you should read the packaging. Miracle Gro liquid fertilizer recommends feeding once ever 7-14 days, but this also can vary based on whether you are growing your plants in fertile soil or depleted soil.

If your sprinkle is really just a sprinkle, twice a week might be ok... but you also might be better off giving the ground a good soak with liquid fertilizer once a week.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Any advice on battling nutsedge/nutgrass? This stuff has invaded my garden and I'm getting sick of pulling/cutting it.

I found a few articles on spraying diluted molasses on it, something about causing the plant to feed itself to death. I ordered a gallon of the stuff to try out, don't really want to be using herbicides in the garden.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Any advice on battling nutsedge/nutgrass? This stuff has invaded my garden and I'm getting sick of pulling/cutting it.

I found a few articles on spraying diluted molasses on it, something about causing the plant to feed itself to death. I ordered a gallon of the stuff to try out, don't really want to be using herbicides in the garden.

My bed always has tons of grass and sedge in it, so this year I'm rotating cardboard around the bed to smother it. It's working wonderfully.

TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008
Seriously considering blasting my garden with Roundup this late summer/fall because gently caress Bermuda grass. It is a plague. I've been pulling it by hand for 3 years now and it seems to be winning this war of attrition.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
My nemeses are crabgrass and some sort of invasive hedge. I decided to use garden fabric this year and it seems to be helping.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

extravadanza posted:

Depends on the fertilizer - you should read the packaging. Miracle Gro liquid fertilizer recommends feeding once ever 7-14 days, but this also can vary based on whether you are growing your plants in fertile soil or depleted soil.

If your sprinkle is really just a sprinkle, twice a week might be ok... but you also might be better off giving the ground a good soak with liquid fertilizer once a week.

Ok, I was concerned I wasn't feeding enough so that's good. Has anyone used homemade fertilizers like worm tea, nettle or comfrey tea? Are the rules pretty much the same? Infrequent and deep/concentrated use? I read that using coffee grounds directly on the soil isn't great, so I've gone back to putting it in the compost, but I'm still using eggshells around my tomatoes and other fruiting plants.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

TheToxicEuphoria posted:

Seriously considering blasting my garden with Roundup this late summer/fall because gently caress Bermuda grass. It is a plague. I've been pulling it by hand for 3 years now and it seems to be winning this war of attrition.

You could try using a "weed wick" -- basically paint herbicide directly onto the weed in question rather than try and do a targeted spray.

You can buy some rubber gloves, one of those foam paint brushes, and some RoundUp/glyphosate concentrate, mix a little batch in a small plastic cup/pail, and then use the brush to paint the grass. If you do a search you can also find pre-made wick applicators that are basically like a big herbicide felt--tip pen (as well as some DIY instructions).

(jump to 4:00)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_pX0k-3des

This is great for removing weeds in tricky locations like grass growing through shrubs (which I need to do), and you can apply the bare minimum of product needed with zero overspray so you could even do it during the middle of growing season. And unlike pulling, the glyphosate treatment will kill the bermuda down to the rhizomes and keep it from coming back (whereas pulling can just encourage it to spread). You'll still probably have to hit it 2 or 3 times over a 2-week period, but it should do the trick nicely.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm taking a university course on organic gardening this summer. So stoked about becoming an organic wizard.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

How well does your soil drain? Nutsedge loves compacted and otherwise slow draining areas.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I'm here in MD and it's been heavily raining for about 6,000 months in a row now.

Though it seems to have finally stopped, and the soil is drying out. Aside from that my garden is at one of the lower points of my yard, so that probably doesn't help much.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I planted a couple of things in pots over the weekend just to dip my toe into the whole veg garden thing. I haven't started them indoors first since I figure the weather's hot enough now to plant them in situ since I don't have to worry about frost.

I do frequently get a lot of birds in my garden (not great with bird identification but mainly blackbirds I think, with the occasional magpie or pigeon) - how likely are they to have a go at the seedlings once they start poking up out of the soil? Is it worth buying netting to cover them or should I be OK with birds since I'm not growing fruit?

For reference I've planted courgettes (zucchini), lettuce, spinach, chillis, carrots, and a couple of herbs (basil, chives, coriander/cilantro).

oh no computer fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 5, 2018

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

VA here and the rain has been both a blessing and a curse. My tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots and miscellaneous herbs have exploded with growth while several of my radishes bolted and a few of my peppers are yellowing and dropping leaves. What can you do. :shrug:

So... I'm a bit of a fool. I sowed a ton of herbs in a new bed but forgot to write down what I sowed where. I can identify most of them, but there are a few I haven't grown before so I'm not sure what I'm looking at. Can I get some help in identifying these? They'll most likely be one of the following:

pre:
Chamomile
Fennel
Anise Hyssop
Anise
Cumin
Borage
Savory

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Who doesn't forget to write down where they plant things? I do it all the time.

The top looks like Savory to me. The middle could be the Borage. I've not planted it so I'm not sure what it looks like small, but the leaves look close. The last definitely looks like Sage. Could you have forgotten that you planted it?

I had 13/16 pepper seedlings get massacred by cutworms while I was gone last weekend. So I went and replaced them with plants from a nursery that are four times larger than the three plants that were left. Moral of the story is to get better seed starting mix/process and actually start them early enough so I don't have this problem next year. The tomatoes are all 1.5-2' tall and already flowering. They've only been in since Mother's Day (zone 5b). Fairly happy with how the rest of the herbs/veggies have gone, even if the feral cat that protects my garden like a guardian spirit lays on the cucumber plants. They don't mind, I don't mind.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Cool thanks! Yeah, I definitely could have planted sage and forgot. I also thought it looked a lot like sage but wasn't sure if there was a lookalike in that list. I agree that the first one looks like savory, not sure if the second is borage... guess I'll wait and see if it starts popping out purple cucumber-flavored flowers.

I try to keep an up to date seed list in a spreadsheet, but I get excited at nurseries and tend to buy a half dozen packets which are immediately planted in pots/the ground without ever making it onto the list.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Second one looks more likely to be the anise hyssop to me (with a bonus anise plant slightly behind on the left side). Borage leaves tend to be fuzzy.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I learned my lesson after growing things my first year, to always write a tag for every plant.

I learned another lesson after the following year, to use waterproof/sunproof ink...

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I bought an eggplant starter that seems to refuse to grow. It gets full Seattle sun and is definitely not dead, but it's been about a month since I potted it and there is maybe one new leaf on it. It came in one of those peat pots, but I made sure to score the poo poo out of it with a knife before I transplanted it. Should I hold out hope?

Also I have a shitload of extra tomato starters because my seedlings did way better than expected. If anybody in the Puget Sound region wants some, hit me up.

Promethea
May 22, 2010

"The car is on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel.
And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides.

And a dark wind blows."

kedo posted:

VA here and the rain has been both a blessing and a curse. My tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots and miscellaneous herbs have exploded with growth while several of my radishes bolted and a few of my peppers are yellowing and dropping leaves. What can you do. :shrug:

So... I'm a bit of a fool. I sowed a ton of herbs in a new bed but forgot to write down what I sowed where. I can identify most of them, but there are a few I haven't grown before so I'm not sure what I'm looking at. Can I get some help in identifying these? They'll most likely be one of the following:

pre:
Chamomile
Fennel
Anise Hyssop
Anise
Cumin
Borage
Savory

The last one is Borage. As for the others, what do the leaves smell like? Any clues there?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
none of them are fennel except possibly the one in the background of the middle shot. and yeah bottom is borage

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
I guarantee bottom is not borage, unless there are multiple varieties other than the one colonizing my garden. It's sage.

Background of the middle looks like the chamomile.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Fennel looks like Dill, doesn't it?

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Oh yeah, or it could be the fennel. Chamomile and fennel both have feathery leaves. Not sure what the third plant is on the right. Might be cumin, but I've not grown that herb yet.

If it's hot where you are, the borage might wait for some cooler damp weather. Borage has thick hairy leaves, and the sprouts will look kind of like cucumber or sunflowers, with big thick seed leaves. I spend a lot of time looking up plants too, trying to identify weeds vs flowers vs veggies.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Slugs ate all my carrot seedlings :( They're all over everything. I wonder if it's too late to start more carrots in GA.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Alright, I just did my smell and taste tests and here's the verdict:

Most probably savory. The scent and flavor is somewhere between fresh oregano and thyme.

Definitely either Anise or Anise Hyssop as it has a robust licorice aroma, but little flavor at the moment. The pictures I've seen of Anise have pretty different leaves, so I'm thinking it must be Anise Hyssop.

Definitely sage by the flavor and aroma. We have a borage plant growing in a pot in our front yard and while the leaves are kinda similar, they're not exactly the same and they have virtually no aroma comparatively.

Borage, for comparison:

Also for reference, these monsters are right next to the Anise Hyssop and I'm pretty sure they are in fact Borage because the leaf shape is similar and they're fuzzy. They apparently way prefer growing in the ground vs. a pot!

In terms of fennel vs. chamomile, I'm pretty sure this is the chamomile:

and this is the fennel:

e: Also I'm currently overwhelmed with genovese and thai basil. This is a good problem to have.

kedo fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 6, 2018

guri
Jun 14, 2001
That looks like regarding the chamomile and fennel. If that is the leaf/herb variety, ready for the latter to completely take over that spot.

Jealous of that Thai basil as well! Mine is really taking its time. I think I transplanted the ones I started indoors too early and now the direct seeded ones are doing better.

This is my fennel which has popped back up for the third year now after being cut back. I honestly don't use it as an herb that often but the flowers are quite tasty and bees absolutely love it. I had a bigger spot of it on another side of the garden but it got a bit too invasive and I dug it out this year.

guri fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 7, 2018

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
A loving murder has happened today. Two actually. :doink:

I found these in the river, their bodies broken and mangled. My stomach sank as the world shifted beneath my feet. Was my planter design not strong enough to stand on their own? How many more of them will just randomly explode like this? Is this a showstopper? (I made 6 of these drat things and it took me all memorial day weekend.)

At first, judging from the cracks where the screws spilt the wood, I thought the structures just gave out and fell off the bridge, but after some thought I think what happened was that they shook loose from the strut and then fell off.

There's a weak point in my design where if you push into it from the right (i.e. the side that the bar is sticking out of), it will give way pretty easily. I think this is what happened. I was okay with this because I was expecting a 50 pound bucket to be hanging off of the bar. When the holder is loaded, it's clamped down to the struct and doesn't budge even when you push it from the right.

After some in-depth forensic analysisme staring at the corpses and thinking for 10 minutes, I think the cracks were formed when the plant holders hit the ground. That doesn't explain why only one has cracks all over and the other only has a broken bottom piece however...

This holder is perfectly fine, except the piece that goes under the strut to keep it from falling off has a huge crack down the middle. This is clearly the weakpoint of my design.

This other holder though, has cracks all along the vertical support beams and many of the screws have split the wood.

I've decided to proceed with 3 plants (one of each variety) instead of doing 6 plants. It was stressing me out making 6 of everything anyway. I won't have any back up plants if anything happens from here on out though.

Also this means I"m going to have to kill half of them.

E. I got some sleep and now I think I'm still gonna go with 6. I could easily repair the less damaged one and then build one more planter holder....

Cory Parsnipson fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Here's what I was faced with, as far as "the garden" goes, when we moved in to this place. The back corner is completely filled with trailing blackberry, to a height of over 6 feet. The rest is a constant war for sunlight between cherry tree shoots, and white flowered morning glories. There is one hardy lavender still growing through the wire, and I try to strip the vines off it. I tried digging some new ground, and it turns to rock pretty much right under the sod. Ok, container garden it is then!