Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

EVGA Longoria posted:

I wouldn’t mind P Bandai if I could actually order them from Bandai in the US. Going through resellers sucks

Yeah, Games Workshop has their own P-bandai (Forge World) and everyone's cool with that because you can order their stuff from any country, rather than at a markup from a proxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neurolimal posted:

Yeah, Games Workshop has their own P-bandai (Forge World) and everyone's cool with that because you can order their stuff from any country, rather than at a markup from a proxy.

Not everyone is cool with Forge World. Forge World stuff is crazy expensive, even compared to regular GW stuff, and it's all in resin.

This is an awesome robot. But it's two inches tall and a hundred dollars, and you have to wash the chemicals off the sprues and may have to heat it and bend it into shape if it arrives bent

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
So after receiving the 1/48 Aoshima Arbalest with Arm Slave Booster, I'm realizing I really don't need three 1/48 Aoshima Arbalests. Anyone want to buy the original one? I bought it from I think Midjack a few years ago for I think $40 shipped, and $40 shipped to the lower 48 is what I'd like to get for it. If you're international, we can work out a total shipped cost.

I'll take photos and make an SA-Mart thread later tonight to make it all nice and official-like.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

IT BEGINS.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Seems like the NA P Bandai site has basically been abandoned already, though they only ever sold like one metal build and a few figures.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
finally... a weapon to surpass metal gear

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Guy Goodbody posted:

Not everyone is cool with Forge World. Forge World stuff is crazy expensive, even compared to regular GW stuff, and it's all in resin.

This is an awesome robot. But it's two inches tall and a hundred dollars, and you have to wash the chemicals off the sprues and may have to heat it and bend it into shape if it arrives bent

I can also just go to the website and buy it directly from the company without paying insane markup from a third party. They also have great customer service and will send replacement parts if something arrives broken.

Also that robot is incredibly detailed and like four inches tall. Plus anything made it resin is gonna have mold release.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Taintrunner posted:

finally... a weapon to surpass metal gear

About time Sid from Toy Story got into gunpla.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Guy Goodbody posted:

Or you can get it from glorious people's republic

Is gundam recasting a thing?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

goodness posted:

Is gundam recasting a thing?

Sort of? It's a broad spectrum, but for the most part it falls into three categories: Straight up knockoffs (no changes at all, just released cheaper), recasts but with improvements or changes (added detail, new gimmicks, etc), and fourth party recasts of third party kits (Mechanicore started out doing recasts of G-System resin stuff, just in plastic and 1/100 instead of 1/72).

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Bandai has a summer gunpla survey up. No P-Bandai question this time, but a few others that are vaguely interesting. First time I've seen some of these physical stores called out.

https://analytics.bnfes.jp/enquete/pc/gunpla_q_2018s/index.php

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Recasts for gunpla can be tricky and difficult for a few reasons:

1. Multiple sprues and more plastic than miniatures means that the profits slim down since Bandai doesn't hideously overprice things in the first place

2. While detail is simpler than miniatures, what does exist requires unforgiving accuracy compared to miniatures, due to being a dynamic engineered model. This also means some parts that work fine with hard plastic end up needing retooling if the resin is too weak or brittle

3. Just like GW, Bandai uses their own factories and master molds rather than contract out to chinese factories, which means chinese nerds looking to do a little overnight production need to make their own molds

There's only been one prolific recast company called Dragon Momoko (ironically enough from recasting one of the most affordable Master Grades), and even then it was viable because they also sold extra weapons and retooled the kit. They also got shut down HARD when a competing thirdparty tattled on them to Bandai. To such a level that they were not only dissolved but their molds thoroughly destroyed.

As a result of all that, third parties instead have adopted the Transformers Third Party model; garage kits of designs too esoteric for Bandai, artistic re-envisionings of popular designs, and upgrade sets for official models.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

EVGA Longoria posted:

Bandai has a summer gunpla survey up. No P-Bandai question this time, but a few others that are vaguely interesting. First time I've seen some of these physical stores called out.

https://analytics.bnfes.jp/enquete/pc/gunpla_q_2018s/index.php

Why the gently caress is Turn-A not in this list, Bandai. :wtc:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Lemon-Lime posted:

Because it would distract from you selecting "Gundam Wing" like God intended.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Zeta is missing too.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

EVGA Longoria posted:

Because it would distract from you selecting "Gundam Wing" like God intended.

The question wasn't "what's the worst Gundam series" though.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Lemon-Lime posted:

Cause you already got MGs of Turn A and Turn X. :v:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Anxiously awaiting my PG WaDom

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Have demanded my HG Hecate.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
I demanded hg Taurus and Aries kits hoping my prayers will be answered.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I asked for a MG and/or RE/100 Xi and Penelope, and a PG Wing and Dom. If I got just one of those, I could be happy.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I asked for a MG and/or RE/100 Xi and Penelope, and a PG Wing and Dom. If I got just one of those, I could be happy.

We already have a PG Wing tho

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Build Fighters Try must've poo poo the bed with Japan's fanbase too, considering it's the only series on that list with a separate listing from the rest of its continuity.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Lemon-Lime posted:

I think it's because it never got an official US release until recently, like Zeta and double Zeta. Then again, Victory and X are on there, so... Someone forgot a series?

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I'm getting pretty close to done on renovating the old 1981 1/60 Dom so I'm half and half about a PG Dom. Actually I'm 100% in I'd buy it asap. Give me the Dom!!!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

That Gobbo posted:

I'm getting pretty close to done on renovating the old 1981 1/60 Dom so I'm half and half about a PG Dom. Actually I'm 100% in I'd buy it asap. Give me the Dom!!!

Pics please

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Found the Megazord kit at Barnes & Nobles, and they had kind of been run through already, so I grabbed it. It's not up to full HG standard but it's super nice for what it is, can make all 5 zords, and both modes, plus it has better articulation then the old toy. Wish they'd make a larger set that didn't need as much stickers/paint. Kinda small, though.

How are the HG Pacific Rim kits? They've had a Gypsy Avenger sitting there for like months, which is a bad sign, but it is a cheap kit.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

asterioth posted:

Hell yeah.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Unrelated to anything, but Gaianotes non-metallic paints might be the best smelling lacquer paints I've ever used. It honestly smelled like alcoholic milk.

It actually had me slightly worried: I'm so used to alclad and rustoleum thinner smelling like absolute death and despair in a way that screams "begone, this is No Mans Air" so I guess I ended up leaning closer than usual and left the basement lightheaded.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

I opened my box to realize I don't have too much good showable progress, but I'll post these two parts. My big aim with this kit was to modify it so I could deal with seamlines while also being able to take it apart for easier painting. For the leg on the right I did a C joint modification on the bottom of the leg so the foot could hook into it. I also have to sand down a bit of the two sides of the armor skirt in order to get the legs pushed into the waist pegs without scraping off paint. For the torso on the left I wanted to add a bit of scratchbuilding to build the shoulders up more similar to the MG Dom design. I also picked up a set of G-System 1/72 hands which I'll have to figure out how to place in the hand socket.

I'll try to take more pictures as I make progress, I just finished up weathering that Leynos kit so I should be able to do a bit more work on the Dom before the next local build contest starts in July.

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013

Neurolimal posted:

Unrelated to anything, but Gaianotes non-metallic paints might be the best smelling lacquer paints I've ever used. It honestly smelled like alcoholic milk.

It actually had me slightly worried: I'm so used to alclad and rustoleum thinner smelling like absolute death and despair in a way that screams "begone, this is No Mans Air" so I guess I ended up leaning closer than usual and left the basement lightheaded.

Lacquer thinner is seriously The Bad poo poo, so even if it smells better than normal it's important to wear a good filter mask when using it. Y'know, unless you want brain damage.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

IronCastKnight posted:

Lacquer thinner is seriously The Bad poo poo, so even if it smells better than normal it's important to wear a good filter mask when using it. Y'know, unless you want brain damage.

Yeah, I made a DIY booth with a fan strong enough to vent the fumes, I was just so used to having a harsh stop-sign of a smell to make me back up that I didn't realize I was peeking into said booth.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

You need to wait until you're 15 to buy the muscley Gundam man that's been skipping leg day from the company that opted to name themselves after nerve gas.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Potential BFF posted:

You need to wait until you're 15 to buy the muscley Gundam man that's been skipping leg day from the company that opted to name themselves after nerve gas.

Gundam X Kinnikuman is the crossover we don't deserve.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Potential BFF posted:

Okay, I had to look that guy up and he's a way bigger boy than I expected:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I don't remember the episode where Gundam Maxter gets the banana upgrade :(

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

asterioth posted:

We have a PG Wing Zero. This is an important distinction.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
NGL, I want an RG Devil Gundam...

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
If nobody is voting for a PG Tequila Gundam, please leave the thread, tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford