Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klaus Hergesheimer
Aug 6, 2010

Nanigans posted:

I need to fix my spin bike and to do that, I need a wrench (I think?) to take off this nut:

What kind of wrench or tool do I need? All the wrenches I have are too large (and one too small) to fit.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

You might need a special socket. Bolt on my old (80s) bike was 14mm thin wall - a normal 14mm would not fit and I had to dig through a bin at a pawn shop to find the right size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

This socket is the right size for the bolt I need to loosen but doesn’t fit on my socket wrench. Is there an adapter for this or will I need a whole new wrench?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Nanigans posted:

This socket is the right size for the bolt I need to loosen but doesn’t fit on my socket wrench. Is there an adapter for this or will I need a whole new wrench?
You need a cheap adapter is all. Take both of them to home Depot or harbor freight or Lowe's and ask the salesperson in the tools area.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 4, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
loving phone posting.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 4, 2018

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
https://www.lowes.ca/socket-adapters/kobalt-3-piece-socket-adapter-set_g1185134.html

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Just spent an hour setting up my new mitre saw. The fence was pretty fiddly to get square and equal, in the end I grabbed my longest level and used that as a baseline. I suspect my square.. well.. isn't.

Glad I had some WD40 on hand because the blade nut was seized fast.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I needed a new plane because mine is cheap and crap.

Rather than buy a new Stanley or what have you which have a bad rep these days, I bought an old one, in not bad condition.

I don’t know the exact age but based on the packaging I’m going to say 70s.

Now I need to spend some time tidying it up.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
drat that is a pretty tool, how much did it run you?

edit: found some date ranges https://virginiatoolworks.com/tools/stanley-planes/stanley-bench-plane-chart/

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 7, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

£58 delivered off of eBay

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
For those of you with Ryobi stuff, its worth noting that they are running a special for fathers day. Buy the double pack of 2 x 3ah batteries (with the battery life indicator) with a charger for $99 and get a free tool (up to $89 value). In my store, they ran out of batteries but were running another special where you can buy a drill package with 2 x 1.5ah batteries/charger for $99 and get the same free tool promo.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Featured-Products-Ryobi-Days-Free-Select-Tool/N-5yc1vZcjyo

This was originally only in store but is available online now. I ordered the batteries online and got the brushless impact driver as my free tool.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Verman posted:

For those of you with Ryobi stuff, its worth noting that they are running a special for fathers day. Buy the double pack of 2 x 3ah batteries (with the battery life indicator) with a charger for $99 and get a free tool (up to $89 value). In my store, they ran out of batteries but were running another special where you can buy a drill package with 2 x 1.5ah batteries/charger for $99 and get the same free tool promo.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Featured-Products-Ryobi-Days-Free-Select-Tool/N-5yc1vZcjyo

This was originally only in store but is available online now. I ordered the batteries online and got the brushless impact driver as my free tool.

drat, thanks. I went by last week and their tool setup guy was in, and he had no idea when the next lot would arrive...

edit- so where's the Add to Cart option? I think this is another teaser ad?

2nd edit- ok, found it, you have to navigate and drill through the menu haha :discourse:

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 8, 2018

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Can anyone recommend a cordless tool battery franchise which includes both a 7 1/4" circular saw and a random orbital sander?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Thought about this thread the other day when I watched someone try to use a big chop saw to cut through a screen door and the door twisted or caught funny and broke the saw, narrowly missing taking their hand off.

9 out of 10 times it works but when it doesn't... yikesss

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

DreadLlama posted:

Can anyone recommend a cordless tool battery franchise which includes both a 7 1/4" circular saw and a random orbital sander?

Makita has you covered. https://www.makitatools.com/products/tools/cordless#c:circular-saws;sanders&f:18v

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

DreadLlama posted:

Makita or Milwaukee on the prosumer level, followed by Ridgid.

e: V huh, I didn't think Ryobi had a 7 1/4" saw, but they do!

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 9, 2018

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ryobi has them as well. I would think most of the major brands have both of those tools available.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
I bought into ryobi cordless, since they are amazingly cheap at home depot. Wish they had a cordless saw with a "blade left and rear handle orientation". I cannot stand the regular right side blade circular saw design.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
So I moved into an apartment with coin operated washer/dryers, and started hanging my cloths to dry because gently caress paying $3 for every load.

How large(or which brand) of a dehumidifier should I get if I want to just stuff them all into my spare bedroom to dry?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Quabzor posted:

How large(or which brand) of a dehumidifier should I get if I want to just stuff them all into my spare bedroom to dry?

I would think a 30 pint would be enough, but the fans on most dehumidifiers are pathetic and can't circulate the air in the room well enough to do a great job. You may want to run a box fan as well to keep the air in the room moving into the dehumidifier.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

The Gardenator posted:

I bought into ryobi cordless, since they are amazingly cheap at home depot. Wish they had a cordless saw with a "blade left and rear handle orientation". I cannot stand the regular right side blade circular saw design.

I’m not sure what you mean by rear handle orientation, but are both of Ryobi’s current cordless circular saws blade left?

https://www.ryobitools.com/power-tools/products/details/18v-one-plus-brushless-circular-saw

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Oh yeah, I didn't include that the handle is set back a ways. I have a +10 year old skil saw and I believe they call it worm drive.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

The Gardenator posted:

Oh yeah, I didn't include that the handle is set back a ways. I have a +10 year old skil saw and I believe they call it worm drive.

A true worm drive is a whole different 15 amp chain driven beast and I don't think there'll ever be a battery version.
But yeah it's funny how those are built for right hand use and standard skilsaws are lefty. I know something you don't know- I am left handed.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Makita 18v batteries are around $50 a pop. You can get two knockoffs for 40. I am assuming the knockoffs are probably garbage that will stop holding a good charge even faster than the real ones?

ex: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-18V-3-0Ah-LITHIUM-ION-BATTERY-LXT-FOR-MAKITA-BL1830-US-LATEST-PACK/253679652803

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
They also may or may not actually have the actual rated capacity, or might be manufactured with recycled laptop batteries of questionable quality.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

n0tqu1tesane posted:

They also may or may not actually have the actual rated capacity, or might be manufactured with recycled laptop batteries of questionable quality.

Questionable quality and unparalleled flammability!

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
It's a roll of the dice. I wouldn't.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I pulled a broken Dewalt 744 (or similar) table saw out of the trash a few months back
Motors shot because a bearing exploded inside it. I thought about buying a bunch of replacement parts, probably would’ve been around $150 to get it up and running again, ended up buying a new saw before I really sat down to do that, though.

So now my thought is ripping out the remaining guts like the blade assembly and turning it into a router table

But my router is a giant craftsman beast from the mid 60s so that thing ain’t going in there.

Anyone got any recs on a decent smallish router? 99% of what I’m gonna use it for is real basic edge profiles and slot cutting, probably not going to be running a box joint jig on it or anything

Or should I just say gently caress it, keep my free saw blades, and put it back out in the trash, and built a nice little plywood table instead?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have the Bosch 1617 router, and liked it enough to get a second one (so I could have one in the table permanently, and the other in the plunge base permanently). I have zero experience with other routers though, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Does anyone have an opinion on Gorilla Ladders? 18 ft. Reach MPX Aluminum Multi-Position Ladder with 375 lb. Load Capacity Type IAA Duty Rating, for example.

Or other multi position ladder as well? Little Giant?

It would be pretty light use.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
They're heavy, expensive, and can be annoying to adjust, but the flexibility is nice. If you only want to buy one ladder to do whatever jobs you need a ladder for (and to spend most of its life in storage because you don't use ladders often), they'll work.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I have a Little Giant, looks like it's about the same thing. I routinely leave it in the open bed of my truck hoping someone will steal it. It's the first ladder I loan out. I have bought ladders to do all the jobs it is ostensibly meant to cover, because it's such a royal pain in the rear end. As TMA said, they're heavy, expensive, annoying to set, etc. Ignore the 18' reach horse poo poo, that requires it being fully extended, at which point good luck actually propping it up, especially indoors. I managed to do it in my workshop, once. It was awkward af, and rickety as hell once I got up there. I went and bought an extension ladder the following week.

If you're in Iowa, I'll sell you mine for half price, and then when you get sick of it, you can sell it to the next poor sap for half what you paid, etc. Eventually someone will just receive it for free and we can end the curse.

tl;dr: not a fan.

e: Also, this may be an odd thing to note, but they're loud, both setting up and actually climbing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I have the wagner version of it and find it useful as a homeowner of a single story house

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Bad Munki posted:

. Ignore the 18' reach horse poo poo, that requires it being fully extended, at which point good luck actually propping it up, especially indoors. I managed to do it in my workshop, once. It was awkward af, and rickety as hell once I got up there. I went and bought an extension ladder the following week.
That, and the fine print on that '18 feet' is that's how high a person can reach when standing on the fully extended ladder, which is itself not 18 feet tall. A minor issue, but annoying when you go to prop it against your 17 foot high roofline and it doesn't reach...

I really only use mine for the ability to set it up on stairs. Otherwise, it's never worth the trouble of setting it up.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
Thanks for the responses.

It would be for light around the house duty and pretty much just out doors. I really only need a max extension of about 12 feet. We have a step ladder that is perfect for inside use but really just too short for any of the outdoor project I have. A larger step ladder would be a huge pain to use in side. Having two step ladders and an extension ladder is pretty unappealing and obnoxious from a storage perspective. If we had better storage it might be a different story.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Dukket posted:

Thanks for the responses.

It would be for light around the house duty and pretty much just out doors. I really only need a max extension of about 12 feet. We have a step ladder that is perfect for inside use but really just too short for any of the outdoor project I have. A larger step ladder would be a huge pain to use in side. Having two step ladders and an extension ladder is pretty unappealing and obnoxious from a storage perspective. If we had better storage it might be a different story.

I have one, it was very stable and useful for sanding and painting a 24 foot boat. It is also incredibly heavy and a huge pain in the rear end to move anywhere. I'm kind of 50-50 on recommending it... I like being on it compared to other ladders, I hate it the rest of the time. My partner refuses to move it so thats fun! I've never used it extended beyond the 6-8 feet or whatever it is

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

For what it's worth, with a hook, a pulley, and a bit of rope, you can hang a sizable extension ladder flat against the ceiling in your garage, totally out of the way and in what is probably otherwise unused space.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

For what it's worth, with a hook, a pulley, and a bit of rope, you can hang a sizable extension ladder flat against the ceiling in your garage, totally out of the way and in what is probably otherwise unused space.

Yeah, I thought about that, but because of the way our garage is set up getting it out would be nearly impossible. Its a shared garage and the door to the back yard in on their side, not mine.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Anybody ever used this stuff for compressed air?

http://www.rapidairproducts.com/

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I need an impact bit driver set (flat, Philips, torx, etc), any brand recommendations? I have a little Porter Cable 20v driver if it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Anybody ever used this stuff for compressed air?

http://www.rapidairproducts.com/

I've been lusting after that for my garage for years, but can't justify the cost given I'm moving or remodeling soonish.

tangy yet delightful posted:

I need an impact bit driver set (flat, Philips, torx, etc), any brand recommendations? I have a little Porter Cable 20v driver if it matters.

The Wera Bitcheck is my go-to for impact bits. The little kit has the magnetic chuck and like 30 bits, with more or less everything you'll ever need.