Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Windows 98 posted:

I don’t know if this really needs spoilers since it’s a horror film and a cliche trope, but why the gently caress did they have to kill the dog. You don’t even know they have a dog until it randomly pops up halfway through the movie for 12 seconds. The only other shot of this dog is when it’s dead. I’m so sick of horror using animal death as a cheap shock. This film does such a good job at setting the tone and mood of being eerie and disturbing it absolutely did not need the dog death.

I felt like maybe it was a bit long. It could’ve just been me needing to pee most of the film.

Those are really my only complaints. I thought this was an excellent horror film that excelled at being disturbing and eerie, and not jump scaring you. Those are the best kind of horror.

If it makes you feel any better I thought I could see the dog breathing. The dog was just sleepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I did kinda giggled at that because you don’t see the dog die or why it died or how it died, it’s just dead, like, “yeah the dog died, anyways let’s go see what’s happening over here.

By the time the dog popped up I wasn't even sure if it was real or not., so it dying didn't even carry any weight for me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I like that it's in soft focus so if you're not paying attention you may not even notice it.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Unfortunately, the dog wasn't a suitable host for Paimon. What a rookie cult.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Part of the invocation is for 'good familiars', obviously dogs are excluded.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
That horrible shot of Charlie's head feels like it happens exactly at the halfway point. Can anyone confirm this?

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Watched it last night and loved it. Toni Collette and Alex Wolff are incredible.

At first I was worried the movie was gonna be straight "it's all or mostly in Annie's head and she's just abusive"—especially since the movie spits out classic parental abuse rhetoric every ten seconds—so when truly creepy poo poo began to happen I was elated. I thought the cult symbol would be a red herring and hoo boy was it ever not.

The way Collette's face transforms from one second to the next after the husband catches fire—absolutely incredible. Annie slicing at her own neck while floating is an image that will stay with me awhile.

I feel like I have a lot of questions and yet when I think of obvious ones the film seems to have already addressed them. I think the only thing that remains fully ambiguous is the husband's death, to me. It seemed obvious that Annie and Charlie died so that the curse could pass itself from body to body and ultimately to Peter, but Steve never seemed to have carried it or to have had any association with Paimon and so the fact that his body is also in the cult scene at the end doesn't have any obvious explanation. Unless they just figured it would have been a waste to leave him in the living room or something.

Were the words or names carved in the walls of the house also used in the incantation?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Yeah. Collette deserves an Oscar for this

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama
The words on the walls were interesting.. I only recognized Pandemonium. Anyone get a list of the rest?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The dog was one of the first actors to show up in the movie when the dad walks into Peters room.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
SATONY was another word, and we even see Toni Collette including it in one of her miniatures

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
What was in the road that caused him to swerve in the poll accident scene? I couldn’t make it out.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Drunkboxer posted:

What was in the road that caused him to swerve in the poll accident scene? I couldn’t make it out.
Some type of dead animal. A deer maybe?

Or maybe a goat like Black Philip? :unsmigghh:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

Looked like roadkill of some sort. I thought it was a deer but it was hard to tell.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

BLUNDERCATS! noooo posted:

The words on the walls were interesting.. I only recognized Pandemonium. Anyone get a list of the rest?

liftoach

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Joan definitely said “Satony” when she was across the street from the school. I don’t know the significance of that or any other words (pandemonium, liftoach, zazas) with regards to satanic rituals. The chant Toni Collete chanted in the bathroom was Latin, something about “Hail the king of the west.”

I must be broken because I thought the movie was more creepy and shocking than scary, but I enjoyed it. I did feel uneasy in the quiet parking garage after the movie, however. The comparisons to The Witch are apt, it’s one of the first things I thought about.

Great acting and cinematography.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I didn't find it scary, myself. I've rarely been scared of movies after watching Aliens at like 6 years old and being scared for the next 3 years the Queen was going to come into my bedroom. I appreciate atmospheric movies though, like Event Horizon's aura of dread was really well done. This movie had great tension over fear for me.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I'll say that I didn't find it particularly scary, but goddamn, the final ten minutes had me clenching my fist in anticipation of what could happen.

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama

the truth posted:

Joan definitely said “Satony” when she was across the street from the school. I don’t know the significance of that or any other words (pandemonium, liftoach, zazas) with regards to satanic rituals. The chant Toni Collete chanted in the bathroom was Latin, something about “Hail the king of the west.”

I must be broken because I thought the movie was more creepy and shocking than scary, but I enjoyed it. I did feel uneasy in the quiet parking garage after the movie, however. The comparisons to The Witch are apt, it’s one of the first things I thought about.

Great acting and cinematography.

Seems like Zazas is from a Crowley book (source: http://www.occultforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21530&p=312203)

Liftoach seems to just be the Hebrew word for open/unlock. There's some sites out there with this kind of stuff on em: https://vkjehannum.wordpress.com/2017/08/16/vassago-goetia-3/

"Liftoach Pandemonium, Et Germinet Vassago"
“Open the Infernal Plane, and Bring Forth Vassago!”

Seems like they did their homework for this movie.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Piecing the mystery together through a witch scrap book is hilarious

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I thought this was a lot of fun and I spent most of the movie enjoying how well-made it was. It wasn't the gonzo bonecrunching nightmare people are making it out to be, which was kinda disappointing, but I liked how the family drama elements were put into the foreground (Toni Collette -> oscar). Once she opened the book and read the thing about the body being a vessel I kinda went "oh" and a lot of the pressure left, which was too bad, but then it kept being a really good movie anyways.

Yeah in many ways the family drama was way more affecting than the supernatural elements. the middle section of the film covering Charlie's allergic reaction and Peter dealing with that and the fallout was absolutely harrowing. You could tell that Charlie and Steve had a closer relationship and Anne never really developed a trusting relationship with her son. The family dinner was just awful, and Anne's increasing desperation with reaching her daughter, a daughter who she was never quite close to and was always a bit off was great.

My girlfriend turned to me after the car accident and said "the kid's going to kill himself" and I really did think that was going to happen. Alex Wolff was just tremendous, you could see how much trauma and pain was on his face. In a way, once the supernatural elements came to the fore, (aside from the incredible seance scenes, which were truly harrowing) a little bit of the tension went away. Something about muddying the waters of guilt and pain hurt that drama. Anne dealing with her guilt at not wanting children, at feeling resentful at her son, her distance from her husband and mother....that all had a lot of weight to it. When you see that a demon and a cult have been meddling a bit with their dynamics, its not as strong.

Still a tremendous film and highly recommended.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Wolff, while overshadowed by Collette, really is also fantastic in the movie. I love at the dinner scene the look on his face while Annie is letting lose on him. Like he wanted something but he didn't want that and has no idea how to even comprehend what is happening and his meek counter basically feels like it is pushed out of him by sheer force.

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in
Who did the score for the movie? Because it was just as horrifying as everything else

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

Planet Piss posted:

Who did the score for the movie? Because it was just as horrifying as everything else

Colin Stetson. If you liked his score, check out New History Warfare, Vol. 2

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Planet Piss posted:

that whole last piece of triumphant music is incredible

Unmature
May 9, 2008

alf_pogs posted:

It really elevates that ending from really cool to transcendent

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I probably would have liked the ending more if I hadn’t seen the VVitch before and this felt like a copy of that one

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mike N Eich posted:

I probably would have liked the ending more if I hadn’t seen the VVitch before and this felt like a copy of that one

the VVitch doesn't spend as much energy wrong footing you as this film does. It would actually make a really good completely straight family drama.

VVitch is overtly about some creepy poo poo right from the get go.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Mike N Eich posted:

They aren't really the same at all except on a really superficial level. Like beyond them both involving Satan, someone floating, a ritual and naked people what happens us completely different, they both play out completely differently, mean different things within plot and meaning, have different outcomes and purpose, and have lead ups that are completely different.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 11, 2018

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Mike N Eich posted:

This is unfortunately something that has stuck with me too. Especially the ending, with a one sided, close up, creepy as hell conversation concerning satanic revelation essentially sewing up the movie. I'm a sucker for period pieces, and the imagery of the witch was more disturbing to me, but again, I can't complain too much. I really hope they continue making similar movies.

One of my horror cornerstones is the afterimage poo poo in the excorcist that im not even really sure was in the film or if im just imagining things, but the first spectral grandma sighting kinda turned my stomach and set a really high bar. The tension lived up to that bar, but the actual scares didn't.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

alf_pogs posted:

According to wikipedia

quote:

In the Goetia, Weyer, de Plancy, Livre des Esperitz, Liber Officium Spirituum, and Sloane 3824, Paimon is described as a man riding a Dromedary or camel, preceded by men playing loud music (particularly trumpets)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Looking forward to all the twenty-minute thinkpiece youtube videos comparing this to Rosemary's Baby.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Looking forward to all the twenty-minute thinkpiece youtube videos comparing this to Rosemary's Baby.

It does wear its influences, but is a lot subtler.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Really it can be argued to be connected to any family related horror film. It pairs really well with A Quiet Place actually.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
it would be a fantastic double feature with Antichrist I love Antichrist, this is not a slam

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I definitely thought of Antichrist after walking out of this. Another one it reminds me of is Bone Tomahawk. They both have this "characters in a non-horror movie wind up in an extremely gruesome horror movie" premise which they both manage to nail thanks to uncommonly good casting.

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in

china bot posted:

Colin Stetson. If you liked his score, check out New History Warfare, Vol. 2

Oh god, I do not like this

Thank you so much

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Anyone remember Charlie, right after the funeral, talking about how the grandma wanted her to be a boy, and Toni Collette saying that she was a tomboy too? Guess that wasn’t enough for her to be a host of Paimon

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

In regards to the dark humor, the one bit that really stood out to me is when we see Annie has been making a miniature version of the car accident, and when Steve gives her the nasty look she just responds with "What? It's a neutral point of view of the accident". Got a pretty big laugh from that one in the theater. Rightfully so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
There was a lot of nervous laughter in my audience but the only thing that got a laugh out of me at the end was one of the naked cultists observing the chaos was in the exact pose of the ”you know I had to do it to em” meme