Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

SettingSun posted:

How important do people think cash is? One of my party members strangely got really motivated to make a lot of gold, I assume for enhancements. He wanted to do a random side scenario instead of the myriad actual scenarios we still had to do, under the pretense that it would make us a lot of gold. We shot that down but it was really weird for him to drive so hard on the income angle. We told him to chill and and to loot more if he wants cash, since we're not barely winning scenarios or anything. I keep suggesting we up the difficulty which directly increases how much gold you get but they like how tense the game is currently (ie not tense).

Since monsters scale with player level, the only way to get ahead of the curve is money and secret objective perks.

Some of the classes play a lot smoother with the 100/150 gold enhancement for additional elemental creation. Sun also really wants an expensive enhancement pretty much immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

SettingSun posted:

How important do people think cash is? One of my party members strangely got really motivated to make a lot of gold, I assume for enhancements. He wanted to do a random side scenario instead of the myriad actual scenarios we still had to do, under the pretense that it would make us a lot of gold. We shot that down but it was really weird for him to drive so hard on the income angle. We told him to chill and and to loot more if he wants cash, since we're not barely winning scenarios or anything. I keep suggesting we up the difficulty which directly increases how much gold you get but they like how tense the game is currently (ie not tense).

Could be for a retirement goal?

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 11, 2018

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I thought we were spoilering that? I wouldn't want to be spoiled on those.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Sorry, fixed.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I need money so drat badly. Our last city and road events also hit my paltry bank account so it's even worse.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
There are several reasons to want gold:

- Enhancements are very, VERY good. Like, stupid good. I think a lot of people don't realize just how much difference something as simple as a +1 to attack or move (let alone disarm or element creation) can make.

- As your Prosperity level goes up, the store gets some amazing items. They're expensive.

- Being able to donate to the Sanctuary before every scenario is nice, especially if you're playing a character that can pare down its modifier deck.

- Without going into specifics, certain retirement goals are (or can be) expensive.

My group played two scenarios yesterday. As someone who needs gold for *reasons*, it was disheartening when I didn't loot a single coin across the two games.

As a Scoundrel. :sigh:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Could be for a retirement goal?

This definitely isn't the case, we keep that information open between ourselves.

It's good to know though that money is more of a deal than I made it out to be. I don't think it was enough to lobby for a random scenario though. Surely there isn't any significant money in that? I still think Loot More will be driving our income.

Digging in a little bit I think I found why he's in a hurry for an enhancement (Sun class spoiler):He's playing the Sunkeeper and one of the first pieces of advice is that getting +1 shield on one of his defensive cards makes or breaks the class. That seems a little exaggerated though; we're doing just fine.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

WhiteHowler posted:

- Being able to donate to the Sanctuary before every scenario is nice, especially if you're playing a character that can pare down its modifier deck.

I'm going to miss my Scoundrel modifier deck so badly when I retire and start playing something else. It's beautiful.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

SettingSun posted:

This definitely isn't the case, we keep that information open between ourselves.

It's good to know though that money is more of a deal than I made it out to be. I don't think it was enough to lobby for a random scenario though. Surely there isn't any significant money in that? I still think Loot More will be driving our income.

Digging in a little bit I think I found why he's in a hurry for an enhancement (Sun class spoiler):He's playing the Sunkeeper and one of the first pieces of advice is that getting +1 shield on one of his defensive cards makes or breaks the class. That seems a little exaggerated though; we're doing just fine.

That specific enhancement is probably the best enhancement of any card in the game.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Piell posted:

That specific enhancement is probably the best enhancement of any card in the game.

Yeah based on what I've seen, that makes the class absolutely incredible.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
One of the players in my game is playing sun played that card once normally and didn't like it, and refuses to even think about upgrading the card or how much better it'll be. and now never uses it. We get by, but drat is it frustrating to watch and think about what could be.

Spikes32 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 12, 2018

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Spikes32 posted:

One of the players in my game is playing ((sun symbol)) played that card once normally and didn't like it, and refuses to even think about upgrading the card or how much better it'll be. and now never uses it. We get by, but drat is it frustrating to watch and think about what could be.

Is that the name of the class? Spoil that poo poo.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 11, 2018

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Spikes32 posted:

One of the players in my game is playing sunkeeper, played that card once normally and didn't like it, and refuses to even think about upgrading the card or how much better it'll be. and now never uses it. We get by, but drat is it frustrating to watch and think about what could be.
Sun: that card is kind of lovely without the enhancement. I tried it a couple of times before buying it and it was so meh.

Once you get the enhancement it's like bottled lightning. Or more accurately, bottled anti-lightning that disables all the enemy lightning. I can confidently kick down a door with it up along with items and/or one or more of the one-round shield cards and expect to survive literally everything in the room focussing on me. It's like being invisible, only hilarious, and it works on flyers and ranged mobs too.

But you do need to get the enhancement and work out the tactics to not run out of movement and not turn it on too early and waste turns.

Sun is fine without it, but it's an unremarkable tank/melee damage dealer on about the level of the Brute but without any multi-target, with it it's by far and away the best tank in the game even on the build that's not focussed on primary tanking. If you focus on primary tanking it takes Pierce, Poison or both to even ding you a lot of the time.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 12, 2018

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

thespaceinvader posted:

Sun: that card is kind of lovely without the enhancement. I tried it a couple of times before buying it and it was so meh.

Once you get the enhancement it's like bottled lightning. Or more accurately, bottled anti-lightning that disables all the enemy lightning. I can confidently kick down a door with it up along with items and/or one or more of the one-round shield cards and expect to survive literally everything in the room focussing on me. It's like being invisible, only hilarious, and it works on flyers and ranged mobs too.

But you do need to get the enhancement and work out the tactics to not run out of movement and not turn it on too early and waste turns.

Sun is fine without it, but it's an unremarkable tank/melee damage dealer on about the level of the Brute but without any multi-target, with it it's by far and away the best tank in the game even on the build that's not focussed on primary tanking. If you focus on primary tanking it takes Pierce, Poison or both to even ding you a lot of the time.

This is sort of what happened with our Sun Symbol.

They were really lagging behind in both XP and Money, and then I opened Three Spears and it became very hard for the class to actually tank or get any gold. So they decided to just not even worry about trying to get the enhancement and opened up Angry Face that they had unlocked earlier, but hadn't played since we didn't have a tank.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Our Sun completely wrecked face and half our battle strategy was just spending a couple of turns stacking all the shield and retribution that we could on her, and have her kill every melee enemy by wading into the thick of battle. We retired it and two other characters last session, and I'm excited to figure out our new group dynamic.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

thespaceinvader posted:

You need to fix the spoiler tags within your quote.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

WhiteHowler posted:

My group played two scenarios yesterday. As someone who needs gold for *reasons*, it was disheartening when I didn't loot a single coin across the two games.

As a Scoundrel. :sigh:

We're still early in our campaign, but I've taken the loot nothing battle goal twice because it's the only one I've had much luck achieving. We also had a bad streak of losing checks and gold to city events. My brute is poor, but at least my retirement goal is easy :v:

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

ShaneB posted:

Is that the name of the class? Spoil that poo poo.

I agree in principle, and appreciate how good this thread is about spoilers, but this is kind of a funny thing to call out, considering.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

King of Bleh posted:

I agree in principle, and appreciate how good this thread is about spoilers, but this is kind of a funny thing to call out, considering.

I mean. Yeah. Just trying to stick to letter of law.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SettingSun posted:

How important do people think cash is?

Adding on to what everyone else has said, some classes are much more gear-dependent than others, and some classes have an easier time gaining gold and a harder time gaining raw XP. So depending on his class and your current shop level, it might be understandable.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I never hear anyone talk about it but angry face is incredibly cool and fun

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Kashuno posted:

I never hear anyone talk about it but angry face is incredibly cool and fun

I do! I do!

My wife fuckin LOVES angry helmet gritty face guy.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's so fuckin cool!

It's really straightforward in that all it does is kill poo poo really well, but god drat is it so satisfying. Doom is so fun, and it feels great to come out blasting poo poo for a base of 7 at level 3 from 4 range away, while almost always having advantage. Gained almost 30 XP from a single level 3 scenario. I loved the ability to put a doom on a dude, use Fresh Kill for the bonus damage since the thing was not yet wounded, and smack it for hella damage. Going from a dedicated support with some status effect shots (Tinkerer) to just murdering anything that comes in range felt so good. I never wanna retire

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah it's just Hawkeye and it's so hilarious and doom doom doomy doom

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I just unlocked and started playing Angry Face after running a Cragheart for 7 levels. It is good and fun but VERY different and everything I look at just dies

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

My buddy retired his Spellweaver and unlocked Angry Face and he actually doesn't like it too much, because in his words, the class is too straightforward and doesn't have interesting choices. This might be because he literally played his Spellweaver until level 9

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

silvergoose posted:

Yeah it's just Hawkeye and it's so hilarious and doom doom doomy doom

I spent like 2 hours designing a D&D4e-style archer ranger class, and then looked at the Doomstalker and was like 'welp'. I even made it an Orchid because Elves

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I have a Spellweaver that's like level 7 now, far outpacing the party [retirement is the Do 6 side scenarios] so I rolled a Sun box since we recently unlocked it through rep. Question about it - Is it even possible to level with this drat thing? I get like 3-4xp per scenario, not including the bonus

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Skyl3lazer posted:

I have a Spellweaver that's like level 7 now, far outpacing the party [retirement is the Do 6 side scenarios] so I rolled a Sun box since we recently unlocked it through rep. Question about it - Is it even possible to level with this drat thing? I get like 3-4xp per scenario, not including the bonus

You get xp whenever you consume sun to make an attack better. So do that more.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Have to post an AAR after we beat scenario 72 (yes, that one) on the first try in a real squeaker. Spoilers for scenario 72. I've avoided class spoiler specifics, but if you don't want to know whether Circles, Cthulhu, and Three Spears have area attacks or not, don't read.

We're 6th level. After an initial conversation about tactics, we opted to concentrate on tree A first. By the end of the third turn, tree A was dead, Three Spears was poisoned at half health (he carries two shields and armor, so he was tanking hits from one of the two wings), and my Cthulhu-face was poisoned with 1 hp. The enemies from both wings were clustered on the boundaries between them and the central area.

Circles jumped over to the tree B area, and did his thing there. Other people ITT may think this class isn't very good, but he managed to solo his tree and all the spawns/summons before exhausting. I hid behind Three Spears, who continued to tank. Through a combination of area of effect attacks, poison, and stamina potions, we managed to clear the whole knot of enemies around us, leaving tree C and the spawn/summons there to deal with.

We had, I believe, three turns of ooze summoning, including two right in a row, and we were lucky enough not to get any Oozes healed through the whole scenario. We had several clutch plays that killed multiple oozes with their own summons, but Three Spears had a catastrophic turn where he did two big attacks and both missed thanks to curses. The turn I killed the final tree and ooze with an AoE was the turn before Three Spears would have exhausted. (Yes, I know, but we'd gotten so desperate that keeping himself going mattered less than winning.) I ended the scenario with 1 hp; Circles had exhausted from lack of cards, Three Spears had two cards left and 4 hp and was poisoned.

A spoiler comment about Circles and Item found in Scenario 4, as well as scenario 72: Circles ended up using the following summons: Wolves, Skeleton, and Thorn Shooter in the central area, then the Living Bomb to kill a Forest Imp, then the Lava Golem and Healing Sprite to clear out tree B and the oozes there (four in total after spawning and summons). We were annoyed because mid-way through the scenario he was still at full health.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Narsham posted:

Scenario 72 stuff

Circles ended up using the following summons: Wolves, Skeleton, and Thorn Shooter in the central area, then the Living Bomb to kill a Forest Imp, then the Lava Golem and Healing Sprite to clear out tree B and the oozes there (four in total after spawning and summons). We were annoyed because mid-way through the scenario he was still at full health.

Circles spoilers
You're annoyed he had full health, but he summoned his lava golem to tank for him/do damage which means he cut his potential number of turns in half almost.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Hey guys, been playing for a handful scenarios so far.
My question, we're about to go from a Brute-Mindthief-Spellweaver-Tinkerer to a B-M-S-Two Minis.

How painful is the switch going to be?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Char posted:

Hey guys, been playing for a handful scenarios so far.
My question, we're about to go from a Brute-Mindthief-Spellweaver-Tinkerer to a B-M-S-Two Minis.

How painful is the switch going to be?

Two minis is in the running for the best class in the game, tinkerer is in the running for the worst. You'll be just fine

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm jealous of people having played a handful of scenarios retiring :( although my Spellweaver is just getting good.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Gosh darn it. In addition to screwing up Retaliate last session, we also messed up another rule.

My character forced an enemy to make a move action with the Doomed Compass and I decided to make a Guard run through a door and into a trap.

But it turns out, brosef couldn't have opened that door; I just checked the rules, and it turns out doors are treated as walls for enemies and you can't force them to open them.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

But it turns out, brosef couldn't have opened that door; I just checked the rules, and it turns out doors are treated as walls for enemies and you can't force them to open them.

Summons too!

Our door openers tend to be 'whoever can go Invisible'. It's more or less the safest possible way.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Spikes32 posted:

Circles spoilers
You're annoyed he had full health, but he summoned his lava golem to tank for him/do damage which means he cut his potential number of turns in half almost.

Not spoilers: we were not really annoyed. We were just that fake annoyed when your two characters have had to lose cards to stay alive and are getting hammered while your buddy is untouched and clearing half the scenario unaided. Circles has a lot of tools for avoiding being attacked.

I should add that (Circles spoiler) while the two wolves died quickly and the skeleton died before getting an action, the sprite, shooter and golem survived the whole scenario. The sprite actually got the golem back to full health right before Circles exhausted.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Stelas posted:

Summons too!

Our door openers tend to be 'whoever can go Invisible'. It's more or less the safest possible way.
Summons, I get - they operate independently with monster AI, and monsters don't activate until a door opens. With the method I was using, I couldn't see anything immediately wrong about it. :)

It made a pretty big difference in the scenario though.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Summons suck so horrendously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Kashuno posted:

Summons suck so horrendously

I keep trying to figure out why the Spellweaver one is considered to be good enough to run but besides the 4XP a scenario I'm stumped.