Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

Shirec posted:

Bird crazies, I need your advice. I’ve gotten a job offer that will land me in either Houston or NYC. I don’t know anything about what it would be like to have parrots (Nanday and GCC) in that area.

Does anyone have any experience? I imagine it’s insanely hard to get roommates with parrots as well

I'm in Houston, parrots and birds are fine down here. Don't know about birds and roommates though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Ah I wasn't as worried about Houston tbh. NYC though, that's a whole other ball park.

Cute tweet as payment for advice
https://twitter.com/MakenaNut/status/1006568507327197185

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I mean, finding a roommate with birds (already) would at least solve some problems :v:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Conures in NYC shouldn't be a problem either. Quakers are the ones that can get tricky, they're illegal in several northeastern states (landlords probably wouldn't know or care, but if you're flying into Newark the authorities there might).

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
New York is a huge cluster of a place to live. That's the place I'd research. Then avoid. For the rest of my life.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i've fallen in love with something very small and often overlooked in aviculture

them!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

oh my god :swoon:

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

this broken hill posted:

i've fallen in love with something very small and often overlooked in aviculture

them!

peep peep

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I should open an Etsy shop and begin producing pillows.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What are those fat balls with beaks on em?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

this broken hill posted:

them!

They're so round

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Super chill mourning dove (I think) that's nested in a parts box in my stepdad's leanto off the garage. They've already had at least one chick hatch, and they keep adding to the nest. Is that normal? How long will they hang out anyway. In northern PA, specifically.

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 13, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kitfox88 posted:

Super chill mourning dove (I think) that's nested in a parts box in my stepdad's leanto off the garage. They've already had at least one chick hatch, and they keep adding to the nest. Is that normal? How long will they hang out anyway. In northern PA, specifically.

That is indeed a mourning dove, and if it seems like a good nesting place, they may be there for quite a while. Mourning doves breed rapidly and will breed year-round if food supplies last, sometimes as many as six broods a year. They kinda need to, given that they're slow, stupid, and eaten by pretty much everything.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kitfox88 posted:

Mourning doves are prolific breeders. They can have up to 6 clutches of 2 eggs each in one breeding season which can last until October.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

New bird cage was delivered to me yesterday. I spent this morning putting it together, despite instructions in broken English with only a diagram of the finished product. It's big and lovely and great! There is way more space in there than a pair of cockatiels needs!

They're both pretty sure it's from the devil. :v:

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Halloween Jack posted:

some sort of fancy eggs as far as i can tell, i'm waiting for them to hatch

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Well the place they built the nest is high up under a roof and blocking most wind so I guess we have some mourning dove tenants through fall. I had no idea they bred so fast though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kitfox88 posted:

Well the place they built the nest is high up under a roof and blocking most wind so I guess we have some mourning dove tenants through fall. I had no idea they bred so fast though.

They are a dumb, slow-moving prey species of bird. They survive and indeed thrive mainly by reproducing so prolifically.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's cute but also sad when a creature's role in the ecology is "get eaten."

Except mosquitoes. Being bird food is their only redeeming feature.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Cythereal posted:

They are a dumb, slow-moving prey species of bird. They survive and indeed thrive mainly by reproducing so prolifically.

Well, the tall-rear end pines about 30 feet from their nest have some bigass vultures nesting in them so we'll see how long the doves last. :gibs:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kitfox88 posted:

Well, the tall-rear end pines about 30 feet from their nest have some bigass vultures nesting in them so we'll see how long the doves last. :gibs:

They may be fine in that respect, vultures very rarely attack other birds. And, frankly, that's a much more defensible nest than usual for doves - they will happily nest on the ground in a scratched out little spot of dirt. These are not intelligent birds.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
I'm not sure what's going on but i think they're telling me to get off their street.

The brown one is their leader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC42NwzWYqY

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

Halloween Jack posted:

Chinese painted quail! I had some for a short while. Angry little beepers. :3:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

little_firebird posted:

Chinese painted quail! I had some for a short while. Angry little beepers. :3:

Oh my God, the thought of an angry self-righteous quail makes me :3:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

One bird has accepted the new cage.

Ozzy is quite content. Sera, however, won't touch the thing. Well. Small steps.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Be glad woodpeckers are not considered good pets.

https://i.imgur.com/eJ0e2xr.mp4

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
I just saw the most amazing bird thing.

I was feeding the currawongs some fruit and the rosellas some seeds, there was some magpies hanging around but they're not big on fruit or seeds.

Then they all went BALLISTIC, full alarm mode - 1 bird to the top of every tree - maybe 100 birds, huge area covered, i've counted 35 wongers, 25 rosies before but they came from everywhere. A couple magpies followed suit.,

Then i heard a tee off and they all stopped.

After the first bit where all the birds went insane it was just the ones around the 1st tee which were still going - but all the rest of them were on the tops of trees watching and full stick mode.

I think they saw a new golfer and went insane until they realised he was just there to play golf??

Also i saw something that looked like a kooka but much smaller. I need to find a pic.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Magpies like sunflower seeds but you have to shell them by hand for them to eat them.

When I holidayed in Denmark WA, I had a wild magpie that would sit on my knee and wait for me to shell sunflower seeds for them.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Baby society finches! I went for a weekend trip and they turned from little bird fetus to little bird babies with growing feathers and everything

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Be glad woodpeckers are not considered good pets.

https://i.imgur.com/eJ0e2xr.mp4

Bird - "This tree BLOWS!"

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

iRend posted:

I just saw the most amazing bird thing.

I was feeding the currawongs some fruit and the rosellas some seeds, there was some magpies hanging around but they're not big on fruit or seeds.

Then they all went BALLISTIC, full alarm mode - 1 bird to the top of every tree - maybe 100 birds, huge area covered, i've counted 35 wongers, 25 rosies before but they came from everywhere. A couple magpies followed suit.,

Then i heard a tee off and they all stopped.

After the first bit where all the birds went insane it was just the ones around the 1st tee which were still going - but all the rest of them were on the tops of trees watching and full stick mode.

I think they saw a new golfer and went insane until they realised he was just there to play golf??

Also i saw something that looked like a kooka but much smaller. I need to find a pic.

They could have been freaking out about the kingfisher too. Other birds go mental when a kookaburra is around as their favourite food is baby birds and eggs. Crows etc also like to eat baby birds and eggs but are usually opportunistic - kookas will actively seek them out and can kill/injure parents to get their tasty babies. They will often freak out at smaller kingfishers because they look enough like a kookaburra to be alarming.

Whenever the local breeding pair of kookaburras back home is in the area, all the other birds start shrieking and tackling or swooping them mid air. The only thing that gets them more riled up is a goanna.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Lady Galaga posted:

Baby society finches! I went for a weekend trip and they turned from little bird fetus to little bird babies with growing feathers and everything

proud parent.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

They could have been freaking out about the kingfisher too. Other birds go mental when a kookaburra is around as their favourite food is baby birds and eggs. Crows etc also like to eat baby birds and eggs but are usually opportunistic - kookas will actively seek them out and can kill/injure parents to get their tasty babies. They will often freak out at smaller kingfishers because they look enough like a kookaburra to be alarming.

Whenever the local breeding pair of kookaburras back home is in the area, all the other birds start shrieking and tackling or swooping them mid air. The only thing that gets them more riled up is a goanna.

This one time I saw a kookaburra snatch a pigeon mid-flight and hammer it against a tree. Birds, man.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Bandit has a new favorite game. It’s called Chase the Cockatiel.

When I let Bandit out she bobs furiously for me to put her on top of the cockatiel cage because the breeder gave her a light clip so she wouldn’t hit a window at full speed while fledging. She then chases the unsuspecting cockatiel until they fly onto my head at which point she starts bobbing furiously for me to pick her up so she can chase the cockatiel off my shoulder. The game ends when the cockatiel flees back into its cage and Bandit stands triumphant.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The post-bath Senegal

so noble

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A handsome boy :colbert:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So my African Grey managed to rip out a piece of tile off the bathroom wall. He managed to find a little gap to get his beak into and ripped it right out.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The post-bath Senegal

so noble

Your feather squid got wet.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

So my African Grey managed to rip out a piece of tile off the bathroom wall. He managed to find a little gap to get his beak into and ripped it right out.

Is bird, can't fix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Jose Oquendo posted:

Working as intended (gently caress you)