Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

SettingSun posted:

Cragheart consistently leads in kills in my group, and was fun as hell to watch them create obstacles and throw them around. The key to this is all the guaranteed damage they get to do. I'll show you the build I used (to level 5):

Avalanche: I dislike loss cards and avoid them when I can, but the bottom row is good. Use this one for the bottom action to create obstacles.
Heaving Swing: This is most useful for the push into an obstacle for guaranteed damage. Do lots of that. Remember, suffering damage isn't an attack. Nothing reduces this damage and can't be retaliated against. Bottom row is super useful for a ranged focus, which is what I did.
Earthen Clod: A basic long range attack. Nothing special. Bottom row heal is a nice support.
Dirt Tornado: By itself this card is meh, but if you can afford to enhance it, give it a status effect (curse) and affect all the things.
Crater: Another ranged attack. I kept this because it's ranged. Use the bottom row in a pinch to throw out some guaranteed damage.
Massive Boulder: More ranged attacks, and more to the point, guaranteed damage to multiple targets with some setup.
Rock Tunnel: Sometimes you need to get obstacles out of the way. Bottom row can save hides if you need a targeted immobilize.

Explosive Punch: A loss card I like (and I didn't like the Sentient Growth). Blow up an obstacle for a multi target attack 4. Move 4 on bottom is cool too.
Clear the Way: Awesome. Throw obstacles around at range 4. For me, the actual attack takes a backseat to the ability to move an obstacle to where you want. Bottom row is meh.
Rockslide: imo Cragheart's most valuable card. A non loss card that creates obstacles and makes things suffer guaranteed damage.
Petrify: This is just a fun you're dead now card. And more importantly, creates an obstacle for you to throw.

Perks: All the ones that take the minuses (and zeroes) out. I didn't take a single rolling modifier.
Basic scenario strategy: don't be afraid to be the vanguard and stick near the front line, create chokepoints with obstacles, pelt monsters at range, throw all the guaranteed damage you can.

This is basically my deck but I drop Earthen Clod for Backup Ammunition. Double the targets for four attacks is a fantastic card, and even better with Massive Boulder for double the splash damage. I also swap out Rock Tunnel for Rumbling Advance - Clear the Way and Explosive punch is plenty of obstacle removal, and Rumbling Advance has a good heal on top, true damage on the bottom, and creates earth on both sides for setting up future turns.

And yeah it sounds like you need some more party coordination going on, a good portion of the Cragheart's good stuff is ranged attacks (especially with Backup Ammunition) that you usually should be able to do something if your initial plan goes sour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Yeah, when I was playing Cragheart one of the characters also playing was a Mindtheif who took all the fastest cards he could (he later realized his mistake in doing this). He's also the type to say 'I'm doing this, so what are you going to do?' so I kind of had to deal with always being slower and picking up pieces of what had to be done.

My suggestion is grab lots of ranged attacks, throw some healing cards in there, and grab as much movement as possible. Just try to make it so you can get in range of something. There's an item (I'm pretty sure its in the starting shop but spoiler just in case) that lets you bump your initiative up or down by 10 but, honestly, I didn't find it that effective when your allies can move at initiative below 10 consistently and you're throwing down 80+ initiatives.

You do get lots of 'suffer damage' cards, which is one area where the Cragheart shines so make sure you allies know that it doesn't matter if that guy has shield 4 this turn, you got this. Run ahead a bit if you're in a room with melee enemies and drop rocks to try and block off attack avenues (Ex// if there's only one square they can attack from, enemies have to 'conga line' to get to you and group up, often around an obstacle. :getin:).

Remember that the game spells it's AI for monster control out for you. If you know what your allies are doing, you can reasonably predict what an enemy is likely to do as well and still try to plan around it. And worst comes to worst, if your allies are uncooperative about communication, use the abilities that damage adjacent allies and enemies or 'careless' rock positioning to show them the danger of not including you in plans. :colbert: Trust me, a Tinkerer with 8 health total is going to start thinking twice when he's losing 2 this turn because he wouldn't loop you in.

Frush fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 16, 2018

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Her deck looks like such:
Crater, Massive Boulder, Dirt Tornado, Earthen Clod, Heaving Swing, Opposing Strike, Crushing Grasp, Explosive Punch, Clear The Way, Rock Slide, Stone Pummel.
Perks: Ignore negative item/scenario effects, remove 4 +0, 2x replace -1

I'll give her some suggestions the next time we play.

I'd also think about ratcheting the difficulty down from 3 to 2, but the problem is that half our group (myself and my GF) want a challenge, but as it turns out the challenge is the other people in our group.

Thankfully our Mindthief retired last night, who was being consistently out-damaged by every other member in our party, including support classes.

It's really a miracle that we've only failed a few scenarios over the 6 months that we've been playing.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Big McHuge posted:

Her deck looks like such:
Crater, Massive Boulder, Dirt Tornado, Earthen Clod, Heaving Swing, Opposing Strike, Crushing Grasp, Explosive Punch, Clear The Way, Rock Slide, Stone Pummel.
Perks: Ignore negative item/scenario effects, remove 4 +0, 2x replace -1

I'll give her some suggestions the next time we play.

I'd also think about ratcheting the difficulty down from 3 to 2, but the problem is that half our group (myself and my GF) want a challenge, but as it turns out the challenge is the other people in our group.

Thankfully our Mindthief retired last night, who was being consistently out-damaged by every other member in our party, including support classes.

It's really a miracle that we've only failed a few scenarios over the 6 months that we've been playing.

Both Opposing Strike and Stone Pummel are extremely positioning dependent and I would guess be the cause of the "do nothing" turns. Just dropping those two for Backup Ammunition and something else (Forceful Storm is really good when you have Backup Ammunition up, for example) would probably end up in a much happier situation.

Piell fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 17, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

thespaceinvader posted:

Then do the next quest in the chain.

In one of the main chain quests with Hail she gives you 100 gold which can only be used for Enhancements. Per character. Can't remember WHICH though :(

The chain is 4-->5-->(14)-->19-->27 but there are lots of ways to unlock that global and you may not want to go down that path anyway.

Big McHuge posted:

Wait what?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's really not that hard to outdamage a mindthief if they've made the same bad life choices that even some people here have, namely deciding that +2 damage on all your attacks isn't worth it.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Countblanc posted:

It's really not that hard to outdamage a mindthief if they've made the same bad life choices that even some people here have, namely deciding that +2 damage on all your attacks isn't worth it.

Oh no, he was totally using that augment most of the time. And then doing ranged attacks. He also like to play that bottom "Attack and then strengthen" with no actual enemy adjacent, just to get the strengthen for his ranged attack and next round. Positioning wasn't his strong suit, but at least he realized how bad summons were early on.

Our friends are great people and they usually cook for us since we transport the game, components, etc, and I do all the set-up/tear-down. But we also started playing side scenarios with another friend of ours who's an experienced MTG player and the difference in effectiveness of our party is night and day.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Did he die a lot early on and get a bit wary of getting into melee combat as a glass cannon?

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012

Piell posted:

This is basically my deck but I drop Earthen Clod for Backup Ammunition. Double the targets for four attacks is a fantastic card, and even better with Massive Boulder for double the splash damage.

Unfortunate that's not how it works. It always just adds an extra target to splash attacks. You get to choose an extra hex within range, but not part of the original splash, to hit.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

BrainBot posted:

Unfortunate that's not how it works. It always just adds an extra target to splash attacks. You get to choose an extra hex within range, but not part of the original splash, to hit.

This isn't true for the cited example; massive boulder is a "suffer damage" attack so splash victims are neither attacked, nor targeted. You can boulder adjacent enemies.

citation: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24971412#24971412

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
For real, I consider Backup Ammunition to be a core card for my rock dude. It is an XP machine, and as long as you don't wait too long to play it, it literally doubles your effectiveness and helps stretch out your rest cycles.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Backup Ammunition is really goddamn good and my guide is remiss for not having it. I'd replace Rock Tunnel with it since you can clear obstacles with Clear the Way.

I guess some would consider me selfish because I'm definitely a player who goes "I'm gonna do this, what do you have cooking?" I find it a waste of time to ask someone what their plans are before I have my own plan for what I'm doing, because the response to the question is always "Dunno, what are you gonna do?" This way, everyone can articulate what they are going to do independent of other players, and you can start to synergize better.

"I'm gonna move here, create an obstacle and dole out some guaranteed damage to these dudes."
"Oh, I was just gonna kill them by doing this."
"Ah then I'll create them over here instead and hurt these other dudes instead."

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
It's also hard to play well if you don't value the little boring things. A move 4 with good initiative is a wonderful thing and if you don't have enough good stuff like that, then your plans become brittle and you'll be stuck missing out. Having enough good move and good initiative in your deck makes you better able to use your big impact cards. For the player feeling like she's missing out, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some issue like that, or like a top half/bottom half imbalance in her deck.

We have a cthuluface who does that one thing the class is real good at and it's super helpful every scenario, but it's not nearly as flashy as my "I'm just going to roll up here and lay waste these two dudes" turns, and because her initiative is not as good as mine or my buddy's (who can also do a ton of damage on his turn), she often ends up with nothing left in the room to attack. I can see it's frustrating for her, but she is a good sport about it.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
I did the Three Spears solo scenario today and lol this class is broke.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
My group opened Three Spears, Sun and Music Note at roughly the same time and proceeded to break the game over our knees.

I’m currently playing a Triforce until I can retire next time.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
My rough suggested plan of action as a Cragheart of long standing:

Turn one: Any movement card and Rock Slide. Try and get 2 damage on all enemies, then move adjacent to one obstacle. Shouldnt matter if you go late. Earth created. 1 XP

Turn Two: Rumbling Advance and Clear the Way. Throw the obstacle you're next to and consume leaf for usually attack 3 on at least two people. Move on Rumbling Advance to possibly finish something off and create leaf again. Initiative 29 should be enough to go relatively early. Goggles if youve got em. Earth created. 3 XP

Turn 3: Any movement and Crater or Earthen Clod. Crowd Control if necessary here or just finish stuff off. Consume leaf for XP. Earthen Clod has initiative 38 which should again be enough. Earth down, unfortunately. 4 XP.

Turn 4: If the first room fight is over here I would seriously consider upping the difficulty level. You'll have more time for everyone to do their cool stuff. Anyway, use Massive Boulder because it's great and creates leaf again. Maybe use bottom move on Explosive Punch for the decent initiative. Earth back up. Still 4 XP.

Turn 5: Whichever of Earthen Clod or Crater that you didn't use before. Consume Earth for XP. 5 XP. Earth down

Long rest if you can, so you can get back goggles if you have them. Carry on until everything has had multiple rocks thrown at it. When the fights nearly over play Backup Ammo. The way it accelerates your damage output and XP gain is absurd. And the combo with Forceful Storm can reliably disarm 3 people at least (4 is unlikely), which is 3 attacks avoided at a crunch time.

I would definitely suggest swapping out Opposing Strike for Backup Ammo.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, Opposing Strike is not a good card. The setup is just too hosed up.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Jimbozig posted:

It's also hard to play well if you don't value the little boring things. A move 4 with good initiative is a wonderful thing and if you don't have enough good stuff like that, then your plans become brittle and you'll be stuck missing out. Having enough good move and good initiative in your deck makes you better able to use your big impact cards. For the player feeling like she's missing out, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some issue like that, or like a top half/bottom half imbalance in her deck.

We have a cthuluface who does that one thing the class is real good at and it's super helpful every scenario, but it's not nearly as flashy as my "I'm just going to roll up here and lay waste these two dudes" turns, and because her initiative is not as good as mine or my buddy's (who can also do a ton of damage on his turn), she often ends up with nothing left in the room to attack. I can see it's frustrating for her, but she is a good sport about it.

I agree with this a lot. I play with 3 other veteran gamers and while we all like killing things, scenario goal is always laser focused for us.

For example, we just finished scenario 7 this week and my Mindthief used his reusable loot card to pick up 3 of the 5 chests. I think I attacked a total of 3 times. Maybe. At most. I opened doors and went invisible, then grabbed chests whenever a window was open. I didn't care that I barely killed anything or got way less xp than I usually do because we absolutely crushed that scenario. My wife genuinely enjoys following everyone around and healing while popping off a well-timed attack with her Tankerer. The Spellweaver does most of our damage which keeps him happy as a player and the Scoundrel just does whatever he wants based on the situation.

Each of us is even willing to sacrifice our battle goal if it helps us complete the scenario more easily or keeps us out of danger of failure. It's a great group to play with. :)

Question: The recommended first Mindthief enhancement is adding Strengthen to the bottom of Empathetic Assault, right? Then upgrading the movement on that same half? I can't think of anything better atm and I'm going to hit level 5 after next scenario.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My group is now 16 scenarios in, and our Gloomhaven Prosperity level is still stuck at 2.

We've opened envelope B and are donating to the sanctuary as often as possible, usually 30 gold between us, but we've gotten almost no Prosperity rewards from scenarios or city/road cards.

It's getting frustrating because a couple of our players are within retirement range, and even with the bonus tick from retiring, we wouldn't be at level 3 yet.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Elephant Ambush posted:

I agree with this a lot. I play with 3 other veteran gamers and while we all like killing things, scenario goal is always laser focused for us.

For example, we just finished scenario 7 this week and my Mindthief used his reusable loot card to pick up 3 of the 5 chests. I think I attacked a total of 3 times. Maybe. At most. I opened doors and went invisible, then grabbed chests whenever a window was open. I didn't care that I barely killed anything or got way less xp than I usually do because we absolutely crushed that scenario. My wife genuinely enjoys following everyone around and healing while popping off a well-timed attack with her Tankerer. The Spellweaver does most of our damage which keeps him happy as a player and the Scoundrel just does whatever he wants based on the situation.

Each of us is even willing to sacrifice our battle goal if it helps us complete the scenario more easily or keeps us out of danger of failure. It's a great group to play with. :)

Question: The recommended first Mindthief enhancement is adding Strengthen to the bottom of Empathetic Assault, right? Then upgrading the movement on that same half? I can't think of anything better atm and I'm going to hit level 5 after next scenario.

Enhancing a card a second time is really expensive. I did +1 range on Perverse Edge first, then the strengthen, then wound on Frigid Apparition.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don’t understand how you can suck at Mindthief. By like level 3 your hand could hold nothing but heavy damage, hard disables, and workhorse utility cards like Scurry and Into the Night. You should always be on the frontline as a Mindthief, because you have complete control over which enemies can attack you.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don’t understand how you can suck at Mindthief. By like level 3 your hand could hold nothing but heavy damage, hard disables, and workhorse utility cards like Scurry and Into the Night. You should always be on the frontline as a Mindthief, because you have complete control over which enemies can attack you.

As a famous golfer one said: Sometimes it's not the arrows, it's the Indian.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Move (and / or attack) on the top half of Scurry and range on Perverse Edge are good, cheap enhancements too.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Move (and / or attack) on the top half of Scurry and range on Perverse Edge are good, cheap enhancements too.

And Bless (or possibly Strengthen) on the bottom half of Empathic Assault is probably second only to that one Sun class enhancement, especially if you're running a 12 card modifier deck having ditched four -1s and four 0s (and your -2 for a 0).

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

neonchameleon posted:

And Bless (or possibly Strengthen) on the bottom half of Empathic Assault is probably second only to that one Sun class enhancement, especially if you're running a 12 card modifier deck having ditched four -1s and four 0s (and your -2 for a 0).

I thought about this and I feel like Strengthen is better just because you get 2 turns out of it right now and it's possible the blessing will never come up.

Any counter arguments?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mindthief has a lot of rolling modifiers and RAW are dumb about advantage+rolling.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Strengthen makes your attacks consistently better while you have it up, while Bless is a bit inconsistent unless you have a lot of it (or are making lots of strong aoe attacks to flip your modifier deck faster)

Mindthief imo really wants strengthen, but some other characters would take Bless on that sort of card.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

I thought about this and I feel like Strengthen is better just because you get 2 turns out of it right now and it's possible the blessing will never come up.

Any counter arguments?

Mindthief can get an amazingly thin modifier deck, at which point the odds of a blessing coming out shoot up considerably. Advantage will ensure you don't miss, but if all your minus cards and four +0s are out of your deck, you're getting very little benefit from it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Narsham posted:

Mindthief can get an amazingly thin modifier deck, at which point the odds of a blessing coming out shoot up considerably. Advantage will ensure you don't miss, but if all your minus cards and four +0s are out of your deck, you're getting very little benefit from it.

My deck is currently min sized with 12 cards and all the -cards are gone except for the single -1 you can never get rid of. The only modifiers left that I want are the rolling +1s and the +2s that infuse ice. You really think Bless is better than Strengthen?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Narsham posted:

I've thinned my mindthief deck as much as possible and always have some blessings in my deck because I need to donate to the sanctuary for my retirement goal, and I'm really unimpressed with what they do. If it's not increasing the damage of my ranged crowd control to 2, it's doubling an attack that was going to kill the target anyway. I'd rather know I'm not going to miss.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Poopy Palpy posted:

I'd rather know I'm not going to miss.

Strengthen doesn't do that though.

EDIT: At least not if you've included some of the rolling modifiers.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 18, 2018

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
We use the two pile rolling advantage deal so Strengthen is awesome but even if we didn't, I waste so many blesses on my 1 damage range attacks especially Mass Hysteria. The only attack I usually care about bless on is Frigid Apparition or Dark Frenzy.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
My two minis experience so far: the bear does a truckload of damage but it's a really one track linear class. the only real choices you have are when to forego your top action sometimes for the bonus damage. Pretty bored with it to be honest.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I tried my first of the Solo Scenarios yesterday, specifically the Cthulhu one...hooooly crap hahaha.
I am just level 5 (the minimum requirement) and I got totally housed. I am kind of fired up about it though and want to figure out how to win. Granted that might take a few levels...but I like the difficulty jump compared to normal scenarios.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ChiTownEddie posted:

I tried my first of the Solo Scenarios yesterday, specifically the Cthulhu one...hooooly crap hahaha.
I am just level 5 (the minimum requirement) and I got totally housed. I am kind of fired up about it though and want to figure out how to win. Granted that might take a few levels...but I like the difficulty jump compared to normal scenarios.

The Cthulhu one has a reputation of being one of the hardest.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Our player waited on that for a few levels, then reported that it was really easy and fun once he had a particular higher-level card.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Cragheart solo scenario is the worst, you have to use a specific build and even then it is entirely luck if you win due to how the oozes split

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Jabor posted:

Our player waited on that for a few levels, then reported that it was really easy and fun once he had a particular higher-level card.

I assume it is the when they draw a curse they take 3 dmg one?
If so, I kinda wanted to see if I could win without it...but yeah haha.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
How important is the solo scenario requirement of having two retired characters from the party? Next session our level 9 Cragheart is going to retire which would be our second and I might as level 7 Mindthief. Could we just do our solos before that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
The 2 retirements requirement seems to be more of a gatekeeping method to stop new players from going in before they've got their feet wet in the main game.