Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

KingKapalone posted:

How important is the solo scenario requirement of having two retired characters from the party? Next session our level 9 Cragheart is going to retire which would be our second and I might as level 7 Mindthief. Could we just do our solos before that?

Yeah that one is probably just a gatekeeper. Plus you already house rule stuff so just yolo it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

I thought about this and I feel like Strengthen is better just because you get 2 turns out of it right now and it's possible the blessing will never come up.

Any counter arguments?

I already have Brain Leech for a strengthen, and I tend to like stacking the deck so it only does a little for me in the first room - but is awesome in the third. It's a close one, and I think that Strengthen would be better without Brain Leach, but either are among the best modifiers in the game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone got a good house rule for oozes? Their multiplication is the loving worst. You end up with like 12 monsters with 4 damage on all of them and the game turns into a nightmare of counters.

Maybe I should just replace them with an equal number of some other kind of monster.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You can only have a maximum of 10 oozes on the board at a time.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
whaaaaat

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The number of standees is a hard max.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Gort posted:

Anyone got a good house rule for oozes? Their multiplication is the loving worst. You end up with like 12 monsters with 4 damage on all of them and the game turns into a nightmare of counters.

Maybe I should just replace them with an equal number of some other kind of monster.

In addition, they can only split onto completely open hexes, so terrain and coins block them splitting.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Plus they still get hurt if they try to multiply but already have 10 in the game. I can see how you could get screwed by a bad draw, but they wear down pretty fast. My group hasn't had that much trouble with them the couple of times we've had to deal with them. We are also playing on standard difficulty, though, and I'm gonna suggest amping it up a notch or two.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Some Numbers posted:

In addition, they can only split onto completely open hexes, so terrain and coins block them splitting.

But if you're counting on coins to prevent a split, remember that only the originals will drop a coin when they die.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Poopy Palpy posted:

But if you're counting on coins to prevent a split, remember that only the originals will drop a coin when they die.

Also super relevant, yeah.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
And that they have Loot.

But Oozes are rarely problematic on their own, they're squishy, slow, mostly irrelevant bundles of HP. The problem is that they're usually alongside other horribullshit with extra poison, multiattacks, curse, etc etc etc.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Poopy Palpy posted:

I don't believe this.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Bum the Sad posted:

I don't believe this.

It's true though. Summoned and spawned monsters do not drop coins when they die. Only monsters printed on the map drop coins.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Jabor posted:

It's true though. Summoned and spawned monsters do not drop coins when they die. Only monsters printed on the map drop coins.

This sounds like a rule by a stupid rear end in a top hat.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Equal pay for equal work.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Bum the Sad posted:

I don't believe this.

Bum the Sad posted:

This sounds like a rule by a stupid rear end in a top hat.

It's literally written in the rulebook.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Jabor posted:

I told the rest of my group about this rule the first time we fought Oozes.

Their response was "well, gently caress that rule".

I did not have a valid rebuttal, so now everything drops coins.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
And where do you think those oozes are getting those coins if they split off of a daddy ooze? They can wait for him to die and then use their loot action to inherit his wealth.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Some Numbers posted:

It's literally written in the rulebook.

you're literally written in the rulebook

WhiteHowler posted:

I told the rest of my group about this rule the first time we fought Oozes.

Their response was "well, gently caress that rule".

I did not have a valid rebuttal, so now everything drops coins.
my kind of people

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
We're good on Summons not dropping coins. But spawns should, imo.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

We're good on Summons not dropping coins. But spawns should, imo.

Either way Oozes wouldn't, because they summon a new one.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Jimbozig posted:

And where do you think those oozes are getting those coins if they split off of a daddy ooze?

The same place that coins stolen by vermlings go.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Everything should drop coins because RAW is stupid as hell about it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

KingKapalone posted:

How important is the solo scenario requirement of having two retired characters from the party? Next session our level 9 Cragheart is going to retire which would be our second and I might as level 7 Mindthief. Could we just do our solos before that?

It's a dumb pointless restriction, same as the prosperity requirement.

The level requirement is a reasonable one though.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
On Mindthief bless, the "X 2 damage doesn't help if I'd kill it anyway" is partly true but as enemy level increases the odds of killing something with a X 2 that wouldn't otherwise die go up. It is also really good against foes like Oozes which have good hp and you want to kill ASAP.

Bless isn't that useful for characters with big area of effect Attack 1 attacks, but if the Mindthief has the +2 augment out, you're getting +3 to +5 damage on a bless result, where Strengthen just guarantees you won't miss. Killing a monster unexpectedly can cause trouble, but often it allows another character to do extra damage by hitting a different target.

In terms of odds, if you get the deck down to 12 cards, you have an initial 8.333% chance of missing that goes up with each attack that doesn't miss. Strengthen allows you two attacks that can't miss, and if you pull the null card you'll reshuffle. If you don't pull null or X 2, you end up with 8 cards and a 12.5% chance of missing on your next attack. There's still value to the two attacks that might have missed, potentially equal to their value if you'd instead pulled a bless and a miss.

The ideal is to have a way to get both bless and strengthen; most likely, you need another character (like the Tinkerer) with one attached to a heal card, and you can then take the other for yourself.

ChiTownEddie posted:

I tried my first of the Solo Scenarios yesterday, specifically the Cthulhu one...hooooly crap hahaha.
I am just level 5 (the minimum requirement) and I got totally housed. I am kind of fired up about it though and want to figure out how to win. Granted that might take a few levels...but I like the difficulty jump compared to normal scenarios.

I tried it twice at level 5. The first time I brought the wrong cards. The second time (spoilers, obviously): I made good use of the "poison to add +1 damage to whole action" card, cleared the first room handily, then planned to damage and poison the imps in the next two rooms, run out of range to drop multiple AoEs on the vipers, and then use the "damage all poisoned enemies" card to kill the imps off. Naturally, I forgot that the imps have a Heal action, which they promptly used twice to clear away the poison and about half the damage I'd put on them.

Narsham fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 19, 2018

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Narsham posted:

On Mindthief bless, the "X 2 damage doesn't help if I'd kill it anyway" is partly true but as enemy level increases the odds of killing something with a X 2 that wouldn't otherwise die go up. It is also really good against foes like Oozes which have good hp and you want to kill ASAP.

Bless isn't that useful for characters with big area of effect Attack 1 attacks, but if the Mindthief has the +2 augment out, you're getting +3 to +5 damage on a bless result, where Strengthen just guarantees you won't miss. Killing a monster unexpectedly can cause trouble, but often it allows another character to do extra damage by hitting a different target.

In terms of odds, if you get the deck down to 12 cards, you have an initial 8.333% chance of missing that goes up with each attack that doesn't miss. Strengthen allows you two attacks that can't miss, and if you pull the null card you'll reshuffle. If you don't pull null or X 2, you end up with 8 cards and a 12.5% chance of missing on your next attack. There's still value to the two attacks that might have missed, potentially equal to their value.

The ideal is to have a way to get both bless and strengthen; most likely, you need another character (like the Tinkerer) with one attached to a heal card, and you can then take the other for yourself.

I tried it twice at level 5. The first time I brought the wrong cards. The second time (spoilers, obviously): I made good use of the "poison to add +1 damage to whole action" card, cleared the first room handily, then planned to damage and poison the imps in the next two rooms, run out of range to drop multiple AoEs on the vipers, and then use the "damage all poisoned enemies" card to kill the imps off. Naturally, I forgot that the imps have a Heal action, which they promptly used twice to clear away the poison and about half the damage I'd put on them.

Thanks for the detailed post! I'm leaning towards Bless now but it will be a while before I get enough gold for it.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
Oozes splitting can be bad if you're not able to get away from the subsequent attacks, but the absolute worst is when they split, then heal, then split again.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Retired my starting brute by accident this evening - I was on (goal) 13/15 ticks, picked the 'collect no money' battle goal, and then never managed to get any and had to spend my last turn before exhausting to win.. I'm the last of the initial group to retire and was almost level 8.

item 66 rocket boots were just so great in terms of making the brute fun - those casual move 7 jump attack 8 attack 6 turns...

Opened music note and oh my god this class looks great.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Rules question: My "turn" is only the part where I'm using the top/bottom of the cards or Long Resting, right? No short resting, no playing cards for initiative, no summons, no nothing else.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think long resting counts as a turn as well. You definitely lose conditions like stun and invisibility when you long rest, and we’ve at least been assuming that all other turn-based effects trigger then, if possible.

E: misread your post. Carry on.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

Rules question: My "turn" is only the part where I'm using the top/bottom of the cards or Long Resting, right? No short resting, no playing cards for initiative, no summons, no nothing else.

Your wording is confusing, but I think the answer is yes? Your "turn" is when you are acting, so it's at your initiative number, after your summons act.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Sorry, let me give you an example: when, specifically, can I use a Stamina Potion? Can I use it to play a card twice in a row?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You use it on your turn, at some point. Your turn is also when you play and then discard cards, so yes, you can use the top half of one card, then the bottom half of another, then stamina potion to bring them back into your hand.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Fat Samurai posted:

Sorry, let me give you an example: when, specifically, can I use a Stamina Potion? Can I use it to play a card twice in a row?

You cannot use a single action card twice on the same turn, as your cards are selected for use from hand prior to your turn beginning. You can get the cards back that turn with the potion, because as they are used they go to the appropriate discard area.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
SUmmons not dropping coins is for balance reasons, else you could theoretically farm infinite gold with certain classes.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

While you are executing your card actions, which is well after you play your cards.

Stamina Potions let you get a card back so you can use it on the next turn, so you can use the card two turns in a row, but not on the same turn.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just learned of this game, and while I am not a board game person this does sound really intriguing. The problem is that I have no friends don't really know of anyone who would be willing to play this. I know that it can be played solo with caveats, and the ars technical review says it is still fun in that form, but I would like to ask here if it is doable.

EDIT: Well, nevermind, people do play this game solo and like it, right on the first page of the thread even.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 19, 2018

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Unlucky7 posted:

I just learned of this game, and while I am not a board game person this does sound really intriguing. The problem is that I have no friends don't really know of anyone who would be willing to play this. I know that it can be played solo with caveats, and the ars technical review says it is still fun in that form, but I would like to ask here if it is doable.

EDIT: Well, nevermind, people do play this game solo and like it, right on the first page of the thread even.

Yeah game box says 1-4 and there's no reason you can't play solo. It's easier, in fact, such that the game suggests raising the difficulty level without raising the accompanying rewards to account for it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Unlucky7 posted:

Tell them it's an entire 2 year long Diablo campaign in a box and you'll have a full group in no time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

thespaceinvader posted:

SUmmons not dropping coins is for balance reasons, else you could theoretically farm infinite gold with certain classes.
You could also theoretically farm infinite gold by running scenario 1 at level 1 over and over. The game as written is exploitable in a lot of ways if players are intent on min-maxing it.

In this case, my group doesn't like the rules as written, but we're not going out of our way to abuse the house rule. We just want to finish scenarios, and since we don't get to play together often, we've tweaked a bit to enhance our own particular experience.

I think so far our only house rules are:
- Two-pile advantage and disadvantage
- Spawns and summons drop gold
- Players can re-draw personal goals on character creation if neither of the initial draws would unlock anything new

So far we're having more fun with the changes, and nothing seems broken or even particularly unbalanced, so it's a win for us.