Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Bad Munki posted:

If you're in Iowa, I'll sell you mine for half price, and then when you get sick of it, you can sell it to the next poor sap for half what you paid, etc. Eventually someone will just receive it for free and we can end the curse.

Zeno's shaking his drat head at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Robert Louis Stevenson’s shaking his drat head at this.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, 1) I figured at some point someone would just round down, and 2) the ladder is indeed cursed, but it won’t grant any wishes while in your possession, sorry. :/

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Anybody ever used this stuff for compressed air?

http://www.rapidairproducts.com/

My dad installed this in his shop and when it's not leaking it works great but he's had plenty of issues with leaks.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Is there a different brand that does not leak?

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
I installed that brand, the smaller diameter kit with the coiled up pipe. Zero leakage issues for me.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Platystemon posted:

Robert Louis Stevenson’s shaking his drat head at this.

Shoulda used bitcoin.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

I need an impact bit driver set (flat, Philips, torx, etc), any brand recommendations? I have a little Porter Cable 20v driver if it matters.

You just missed a slightly better price on this set: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-Shockwave-Impact-Duty-Driver-Bit-Set-44-Piece-48-32-4067/302045936?irgwc=1&cm_mmc=afl-ir-10451-456723- but it is still a great deal ($15.97).

I prefer them slightly more than the team yellow bits, but this is also a good deal: https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-..._-204786203-_-N ($9.97)

Just check the packaging to ensure it has the bits you need, but those should get you started. I don't know if those are father's day prices or not.

B-Nasty fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 15, 2018

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
its not a complete set but i have found these impact bits to be pretty durable:

https://toolguyd.com/makita-impact-gold-screwdriver-bit-set-review/

i also have a set of milwaukee shockwave that covers all of the less common types/size of bits i need, along with extensions and i approve of them as well

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

B-Nasty posted:

You just missed a slightly better price on this set: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-Shockwave-Impact-Duty-Driver-Bit-Set-44-Piece-48-32-4067/302045936?irgwc=1&cm_mmc=afl-ir-10451-456723- but it is still a great deal ($15.97).

I prefer them slightly more than the team yellow bits, but this is also a good deal: https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-..._-204786203-_-N ($9.97)

Just check the packaging to ensure it has the bits you need, but those should get you started. I don't know if those are father's day prices or not.

Decided to jump on this Milwaukee deal, thanks for all the suggestions guys.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
The Makita gold impact bits are awesome. I had iffy luck with the old Milwaukee shockwave bits, especially the P2, which wasn't a great fit in screw recesses.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
here's where I am with my sectioning and hauling project:

Not pictured is roughly 4 full cords of other assorted hardwood (that was here when I moved in); this is all getting split this weekend. I sectioned all of this with the makita electric 14" chainsaw I bought, and moved most of it out of the woods with that cart (in some cases pretty far, but at a slight downhill grade).

Lessons learned:

* Makita electric chainsaw overperformed, based on my modest expectations
* Having an ATV would not have made this as much easier as I thought; because I was moving it down, loading/unloading was more time consuming and overall as energy-demanding as the work of actually pulling it out of the woods
* the $130 Gorilla "1,000lb max" cart was absolutely up to the task of moving all this goddamn pine, lovely amazon reviews to the contrary notwithstanding. I flipped the fucker a few times and did no significant harm to it. That said, I am pretty sure that if you actually put 1,000lbs into it all at once, the axles would split.
* chainsaw blades get dull as gently caress faster than I was expecting, and so far I haven't figured out how to put an edge back on them which is anywhere close to as good as factory spec. I think I am up to 6 blades now
* making cats with chainsaws is fun and easy:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Tim Raines IRL posted:

* chainsaw blades get dull as gently caress faster than I was expecting, and so far I haven't figured out how to put an edge back on them which is anywhere close to as good as factory spec. I think I am up to 6 blades now

You mean you've bought 6 chains? You only have 6 sharp teeth left? Get a round file, put some heavy gloves on, and follow perpendicular to the line on top of the tooth. I do a quick sharpening and breakdown of my saw after every session. Don't forget the gloves, you'll probably slip at least once and I've seen some nasty injuries from sharpening without gloves

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've never tried, but I kind of assume that sharpening a chainsaw blade would be kind of like sharpening a bandsaw blade. Touch it up lightly with a dremel or other sharpening device, advance the blade slightly, repeat. Mark the blade with a Sharpie or something so you know when you've hit every tooth. It's not especially complicated or difficult. My 94" bandsaw blade takes maybe ten minutes to sharpen, which puts off the day I have to shell out $30 for a replacement blade.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
That isn't how you sharpen a chainsaw chain. You use a specific size round file and only push not pull at a certain angle (something like 30 degrees) which is marked on top of the tooth, you do all the teeth facing one direction, then all the teeth facing the other direction. You can also buy a guide if you aren't comfortable with your ability to keep that angle. WEAR GLOVES, you will slip.

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 15, 2018

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Or use a sharpening guide. Basically zero chance of cutting yourself, and it guides the file, plus let's you adjust the top clearance.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

That isn't how you sharpen a chainsaw chain. You use a specific size round file and only push not pull at a certain angle (something like 30 degrees) which is marked on top of the tooth, you do all the teeth facing one direction, then all the teeth facing the other direction. You can also buy a guide if you aren't comfortable with your ability to keep that angle. WEAR GLOVES, you will slip.

Gotcha, thanks for the correction.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Gotcha, thanks for the correction.

Apparently there's a way to manage with a dremel: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=40928&cat=1,43072,43086

No idea how well it works though. I think it's not that big a deal to just use a file and do it by hand. There sure are a lot of expensive gadgets to make it "easier" though.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=48079&cat=1,320,43072,43086,48079
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=67753&cat=1,41131

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Yea a $10 chainsaw guide will get you the muscle memory you need to eventually only carry a round file on you. I've only heard bad things about using a dremel from professionals, the common theme being it ruins the temper on the metal.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I just pay my local ace $6 to do it for me... Always comes back sharp as new.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

stealie72 posted:

I just pay my local ace $6 to do it for me... Always comes back sharp as new.

I could see that being viable for someone who doesn't use it more than a couple times a year. But it takes me 10 minutes to do and doesn't involve driving it anywhere and I like my saw sharp every time so I just do it myself

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I could see that being viable for someone who doesn't use it more than a couple times a year. But it takes me 10 minutes to do and doesn't involve driving it anywhere and I like my saw sharp every time so I just do it myself

Rat tail files ftw. Don't go in the woods without one.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
Nowadays I use this, even though it is sort of like cheating: https://www.amazon.com/STIHL-EASY-CHAINSAW-CHAIN-SHARPENER/dp/B00HY90LAE

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
So, for fathers day, my father in law just bought me a craftsman 10" table saw. Yes, I don't think he knows how fathers day works. He knows I am about to do replace a bunch of carpet with laminate and decided he would get me a table saw. Aside from any comments on craftsman as a brand or their products as horrible boat anchors, are there any accessories I should get for this? Preferably things that can work on any future upgrades I might move up to?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you might decide the miter could be upgraded to a better aftermarket one but usually there's not a whole lot to do to them.

you could build yourself a crosscut sled too

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

El Jebus posted:

So, for fathers day, my father in law just bought me a craftsman 10" table saw. Yes, I don't think he knows how fathers day works. He knows I am about to do replace a bunch of carpet with laminate and decided he would get me a table saw. Aside from any comments on craftsman as a brand or their products as horrible boat anchors, are there any accessories I should get for this? Preferably things that can work on any future upgrades I might move up to?

Push sticks/push thingies.

I have this set: https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-71009-Safety-Package-5-Piece/dp/B00LPR5I1I

It's great to always have a push stick that works well with whatever angle/piece I'm cutting, and the sticky rubber the use as pads works well for gripping wood. The hunting vest orange is handy, since they stand out wherever they land in the shop.

If you're cutting indoors, a shop-vac that fits the dust port is required, or you could upgrade to an official dust collection system. Everything else: digital angle gauges, featherboards, better mitre, etc. can wait until you figure out how much you're going to need them.

edit: I know you can make your own push sticks with a jigsaw and plywood, but it won't be as varied in shape and utility as those plastic ones. It also will be heavier and not as strong...and it will probably cost more to build unless you have tons of plywood lying around. Hard to beat the combo of China+plastic for cheapness.

B-Nasty fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 17, 2018

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Buy a GrrRipper

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Sockser posted:

Buy a GrrRipper

I have been wondering if these are worth the premium.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Zosologist posted:

I have been wondering if these are worth the premium.

Absolutely. Leaps and bounds better than a traditional push stick in my opinion.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Falco posted:

Absolutely. Leaps and bounds better than a traditional push stick in my opinion.

Specifically from a safety point of view? I have a healthy fear/respect for machinery and want to keep my parts. Would it be wise to get the Grripper and the plastic, orange push sticks?

B-Nasty posted:

If you're cutting indoors, a shop-vac that fits the dust port is required, or you could upgrade to an official dust collection system. Everything else: digital angle gauges, featherboards, better mitre, etc. can wait until you figure out how much you're going to need them.

I cut with the garage door open if the weather isn't co-operating, and with a couple fans pointed to the exit (and wear a mask), but I should probably start thinking about proper dust collection before someone complains.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

El Jebus posted:

Specifically from a safety point of view? I have a healthy fear/respect for machinery and want to keep my parts. Would it be wise to get the Grripper and the plastic, orange push sticks?

I cut with the garage door open if the weather isn't co-operating, and with a couple fans pointed to the exit (and wear a mask), but I should probably start thinking about proper dust collection before someone complains.

I had been using homemade push sticks for a couple of years which worked, but I often felt the need for two. One to feed stock through the saw and another to keep the stock up against the fence. I realize a featherboard of some kind would have done the trick as well. I just started using the grripper and can now do both with one tool. The material they use to grip the wood works really well and being able to adjust where the blade will ride through the tool makes it really easy to work with smaller pieces. It’s tough because you can’t try before you buy very easily and they are pretty pricey. But I found it to be worth it for me.

As for dust collection a shop vac can work really well and I’ve really liked having a cyclone hooked up to it to keep most of the bits from clogging the filter.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
There is a machine shop near me thats going up for auction.
I've been bugging my boss for a lathe for a while. Probably won't get one, but just wondering, the following ones will be up on the block.
Are they good quality brands/models?
I get of course, that condition will determine whether they're a good buy or not if they are reputable brands.

Hardinge HLV-H tool room lathe, wide bed, 125-3000 RPM, inch threading, tailstock, steady rest, power feeds, KDK tool post, 5C collet closer

Hardinge DSM-59 lathe second operation, 9" swing over bed, 16" max between spindle nose and tooling plate, variable spindle speeds to 3000 RPM

Tos SN63B Lathe, 15" 3 jaw chuck, 3" bore, 10 to 1000 RPM,10 hp w/ 3 steady rests, 20" chuck 4 jaw, (2) 10" chucks, tooling etc.

Tos SN50C gap bed engine lathe, 22" swing over bed, 28" swing in the gap, 78" between centers, 2" spindle bore, 10" 4-jaw chuck

Tos SN50B Gap bed geared head engine lathe, 1.5" spindle bore, 10" 4-jaw chuck, 28" swing over gap, 22" swing over bed, 14" swing over carriage, 80" distance between centers, 22-2,000 RPM steady rests

Tos SN63B Gap Bed Lathe

Tos SN50C Gab Bed Lathe

Oh gently caress it, here's the listing in case you guys want to see some other poo poo:

http://www.danburyauctions.com/sharp-machine-co-ltd/

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

wesleywillis posted:

There is a machine shop near me thats going up for auction.
I've been bugging my boss for a lathe for a while. Probably won't get one, but just wondering, the following ones will be up on the block.
Are they good quality brands/models?
I get of course, that condition will determine whether they're a good buy or not if they are reputable brands.

Hardinge HLV-H tool room lathe, wide bed, 125-3000 RPM, inch threading, tailstock, steady rest, power feeds, KDK tool post, 5C collet closer

Hardinge DSM-59 lathe second operation, 9" swing over bed, 16" max between spindle nose and tooling plate, variable spindle speeds to 3000 RPM

Tos SN63B Lathe, 15" 3 jaw chuck, 3" bore, 10 to 1000 RPM,10 hp w/ 3 steady rests, 20" chuck 4 jaw, (2) 10" chucks, tooling etc.

Tos SN50C gap bed engine lathe, 22" swing over bed, 28" swing in the gap, 78" between centers, 2" spindle bore, 10" 4-jaw chuck

Tos SN50B Gap bed geared head engine lathe, 1.5" spindle bore, 10" 4-jaw chuck, 28" swing over gap, 22" swing over bed, 14" swing over carriage, 80" distance between centers, 22-2,000 RPM steady rests

Tos SN63B Gap Bed Lathe

Tos SN50C Gab Bed Lathe

Oh gently caress it, here's the listing in case you guys want to see some other poo poo:

http://www.danburyauctions.com/sharp-machine-co-ltd/

Hardinge is definitely a name brand lathe. Can't comment on Tos. What you guys need will probably inform what the best choice is.

E.g. do you have 3-phase power and room for a lathe?
What size?
How big of work do you need to hold?
What sort of requirements for the quality of parts do you have?

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Sockser posted:

Buy a GrrRipper

Did this. Can confirm.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

CarForumPoster posted:

Hardinge is definitely a name brand lathe. Can't comment on Tos. What you guys need will probably inform what the best choice is.

E.g. do you have 3-phase power and room for a lathe?
What size?
How big of work do you need to hold?
What sort of requirements for the quality of parts do you have?

Right now, I'd like something for general machining duties (this piece of round stock is slightly too big for the hole I'm trying to put it in), and capable of cutting threads (3TPI) though I'd have to learn to cut threads again. Size of pieces, would be no more than 3 inches and slightly less than 2 inches for longer pieces which woul have to fit through the........ thing that goes out through the back of the machine.
We've got 3 phase power, and sort of have room for a lathe. Or we would if we got rid of a few things.

Realistically, its a pipe dream, I've been trying to convince my boss to get one since I started working here over a decade ago. It would be of assistance because it would be just a few more things we don't have to outsource, but not something that would get tons and tons of use.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I'm building a very simple deck and I figure this is a good time to finally get a decent laser level. I'm not doing anything professionally, but I have plenty of project in/around the house that this wouldn't be a single use tool. I'm willing to buy something decent, but it's hard to tell the differences between $60 and $400 levels. Any suggestions for something that works (outside), but isn't professional-level expensive?

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Dukket posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on Gorilla Ladders? 18 ft. Reach MPX Aluminum Multi-Position Ladder with 375 lb. Load Capacity Type IAA Duty Rating, for example.

Or other multi position ladder as well? Little Giant?

It would be pretty light use.

If anyone cares - I ended up getting a Little Giant Velocity and so far I like it.

No denying it can be a bit awkward to set up, but it has worked well as both an extension ladder and a step ladder. I feel like even after the 3rd use I was better at set up.

It is much easier to carry up 3 flights of stairs than my neighbor’s extension ladder.

EDIT

My local Home Despot forgot to remove the in store adds for the Father's day Ryobi "by the battery starter kit and get a tool for free" deal. I figured I asked if they would honor it and much to my surprise, they did.

Dukket fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 25, 2018

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Mr Executive posted:

I'm building a very simple deck and I figure this is a good time to finally get a decent laser level. I'm not doing anything professionally, but I have plenty of project in/around the house that this wouldn't be a single use tool. I'm willing to buy something decent, but it's hard to tell the differences between $60 and $400 levels. Any suggestions for something that works (outside), but isn't professional-level expensive?

I'd go with something of the Bosch persuasion:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=bosch+laser+level

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Going to check this out tonight. Guy listed it for $200 CAD.

Anyone have any tips on what to looks for? Seems like a killer deal so im kinda suspect. He mispelled the brand and tool though so maybe he just isn't familiar with what it is.

Cross posting from the wood thread just in case I get some useful info before I go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

keep it down up there! posted:

Going to check this out tonight. Guy listed it for $200 CAD.

Anyone have any tips on what to looks for? Seems like a killer deal so im kinda suspect. He mispelled the brand and tool though so maybe he just isn't familiar with what it is.

Cross posting from the wood thread just in case I get some useful info before I go.

Make sure the knives are sharp, or at least not hosed up. Also make sure that the infeed and outfeed tables are freely adjustable.