Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I prefer the +2 move boots for the Tink. He slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
My Tinkerer got a huge amount of use out of +1 Shield on the bottom of Flamethrower.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

thespaceinvader posted:

I prefer the +2 move boots for the Tink. He slow.

They were sold out :-(

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

My friend who I'm asking about Triforce for is going from Cragheart which was way too good to this, so hopefully he likes it. Next week another guy who hasn't been pleased with his Spellweaver will unlock envelope X and then start playing Eclipse which we got through rep. I'll see how they like them.

I went from rock monster to Triforce, and I'm enjoying Triforce immensely! I like to mix things up completely so that's probably why. I'm only at level... 3? I think, on Triforce, so I think I'm gonna enjoy it wayyyyy more soon.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah enjoy and provide another voice in support of the class in this thread!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
This thread owns. You guys own. :heart:

So I'm screwing around casually with a solo campaign using our level 5 Spellweaver and my level 5 Mindthief. Scenario 1 is really loving hard with the elite guards who have 2 shield. This is even on difficulty 3 instead of the recommended 4.

I almost beat it in the last room but the Mindthief exhausted within a couple turns of victory. It's all because I couldn't go very fast because the shield tank nerds are rear end in a top hat damage sponges.

I'm gonna run it back with a different strat but holy wow is this rough.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Shield is tough to deal with unless you actively build for it.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Okay, so I have a not-strictly-related question, and I'm hoping someone can help my dumbass self: I spent like my entire monthly budget and bought this game on Amazon for the tiny discount. It arrived today, and I opened it up to have a look around and make sure it was all in good order... and it wasn't. The location stickers were kind of jammed into the box, and some of them came off and stuck to the manual. I assume there's been a hitch or two in this thread, so: Who should I contact about this (and how, if it's difficult)? Amazon, their supplier, or Cephalofair? I've gotten the runaround before, with Company A and B telling me to contact the other one, so if anyone has experience, It'd be really helpful.

edit: The game FAQ says to contact Cephalofair if you're missing components, and this SEEMS like a comparable situation, so I'll give that a shot. I'd still be interested to hear how somebody else handled a similar problem, though.

John Lee fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 1, 2018

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Just retired my Tinkerer and extremely hyped to play Saw

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I beat scenario 1 solo with level 5 Spellweaver and level 5 Mindthief on difficulty 3. It came down to the last turn though. I did manage to get the chest so that was a bonus.

No idea how I would've beaten it on difficulty 4. Maybe really good attack deck luck. That scenario is just ruthless.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I mean level 3 would be the correct level with two level 5 characters unless you want it harder.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

KingKapalone posted:

I mean level 3 would be the correct level with two level 5 characters unless you want it harder.

The rulebook suggests increasing the difficulty by 1 for solo play because you always have perfect information.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you don't have any shieldbusting, at higher levels that mission is probably even tougher than usual. Also with only two characters, you're not getting as much from the AoE attacks as you would with a 3- or 4-character setup. Also, and this is something kind of inherent to the solo game, the upside you get from perfect information is a lot more valuable the more characters there are running around. So 2-character solo is inherently a bit harder than 3- or 4-.

That said I think the first mission is honestly kind of tough in general. I think it's intended as a bit of a wake-up call to people starting out that, yeah, they're going to have to think about their turns and play well in order to succeed.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Is it easier/better to learn the game solo or with a partner? Just got done punching out all the pieces and I'm a bit intimidated

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

kaujot posted:

Is it easier/better to learn the game solo or with a partner? Just got done punching out all the pieces and I'm a bit intimidated

Probably with another person because you can help each other remember rules. A group of 4 is awesome if you can do it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
If you have the time I really recommend giving the first scenario a go solo, just to get a handle on the rules and flow of the game. You don't have to finish it, just do a room or two and see how things work.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

John Lee posted:

Okay, so I have a not-strictly-related question, and I'm hoping someone can help my dumbass self: I spent like my entire monthly budget and bought this game on Amazon for the tiny discount. It arrived today, and I opened it up to have a look around and make sure it was all in good order... and it wasn't. The location stickers were kind of jammed into the box, and some of them came off and stuck to the manual. I assume there's been a hitch or two in this thread, so: Who should I contact about this (and how, if it's difficult)? Amazon, their supplier, or Cephalofair? I've gotten the runaround before, with Company A and B telling me to contact the other one, so if anyone has experience, It'd be really helpful.

edit: The game FAQ says to contact Cephalofair if you're missing components, and this SEEMS like a comparable situation, so I'll give that a shot. I'd still be interested to hear how somebody else handled a similar problem, though.

I was fortunate and had no problems but stuff like you're describing was apparently really common for a while. I think it's best to go to cephalofair first. I've heard they have been very good about it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Logged about 5 hours of work into assembling an organizer and punching everything out into it; was super thrilled to discover

This is a component spoiler, keep mousing over at your own risk
the "open when you feel you deserve it" envelope

Anyway; I'm running into the downside of the Broken Token organizer that people talked about; can't store all the character boxes in there due to them assuming you'll have 4 active players...but I'm already planning on grabbing an accordion folder for the map tiles after work today; so that should reclaim enough space in the box for the other 4 tuck boxes.

Re: doing a solo learning session...should I do the first actual scenario, or a random dungeon setup?

Edit: one other question; I sorted most of the item cards out by Prosperity level, as listed out in the rulebook; but I've still got a big stack of items with even higher numbers. I assume those are dungeon loot type things? I assume I should have a spot in my card holder specifically for "things that available to buy right now"?

jivjov fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 1, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah that spoiler thing is neat.

jivjov posted:

Re: doing a solo learning session...should I do the first actual scenario, or a random dungeon setup?
It's up to you but I recommend the first scenario. It has simple enemies and no weird rules while a random dungeon could throw more unusual things at you, plus it's easy to find tutorial playthroughs of it.

quote:

Edit: one other question; I sorted most of the item cards out by Prosperity level, as listed out in the rulebook; but I've still got a big stack of items with even higher numbers. I assume those are dungeon loot type things?
Some are related to the random item designs, some are loot from dungeons / other sources.

What is available to buy is determined by your prosperity, what items you have sold back to the shop, and what designs you have found.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 1, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Alright; cool. There's a good amount of space in the card organizer for a big section I can devote to "current market" so that sounds like something good to do.

One more organization question; and this will probably sound ignorant from someone who hasn't actually played the game...but I assume I should keep the M-labeled Curse modifiers separated out from the Monster Attack Modifier deck unless specifically told otherwise; right?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

jivjov posted:

One more organization question; and this will probably sound ignorant from someone who hasn't actually played the game...but I assume I should keep the M-labeled Curse modifiers separated out from the Monster Attack Modifier deck unless specifically told otherwise; right?

Yeah, you add them in when you curse an enemy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, you add them in when you curse an enemy.

That's what I figured. The How it Fits video for the organizer just said "put all the monster attack modifiers into this box!" and it just didn't seem right to me to put the curses in.

And now comes the hardest part...trying to assemble a group of 4 that will regularly commit to playing this behemoth with me.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

jivjov posted:

And now comes the hardest part...trying to assemble a group of 4 that will regularly commit to playing this behemoth with me.

That problem solves itself once people try the game.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

I went from rock monster to Triforce, and I'm enjoying Triforce immensely! I like to mix things up completely so that's probably why. I'm only at level... 3? I think, on Triforce, so I think I'm gonna enjoy it wayyyyy more soon.

I've been struggling with the class for a while and might write something up lengthier at some point.

Spoilers for Triforce: I will say that it is well worth sitting down with the cards and looking at what elements get put out or consumed. Generally speaking, you're preferring pairs of elements but it's a few sets of specific pairs. The mostly unhelpful materials presently available are right that the class relies upon getting elements from your modifier deck (assuming you don't have members of the party who can provide elements for you), though as with all the Reddit guides it ignores scenario conditions, too, and doesn't mention that you're going to like fighting demons because they'll provide elements you can probably beat them to using. (Or you will hate them for beating your initiative and stealing your elements.)

The less obvious thing is that you really prefer having 2+ elements to consume every turn. Without using a loss card, you can't put out a pair you want until higher levels, so your best bet is to put out one element and hit as many targets with a single attack as possible in the hopes of getting a second pulled as a modifier. Since your element modifiers don't roll, you need to go for volume: Crystallizing Blast at L2, but Ice Spikes or Tremulant Cyclone can potentially get the job done, too, as can a multi-target attack. You'll get best results in a larger party, as they'll not only be putting out more elements but the higher number of enemies makes multi-targeting AoE attacks easier. There's a few possibilities for result:
A. You get the element you wanted to complete the pair (for example, Earth plus Ice to get Shaping the Ether as an Attack 1 Range 3 Target 2 Stun attack).
B. You get the element you wanted and more besides. Either you were aiming for a card that can benefit from the extra element (oh, my Shaping the Ether ends up being Attack 3 instead!), or you should think about switching to a 4 element consume card or combination instead to take advantage. Or, if you have Formless Power in play, get +1 attack to whatever you were doing. (You'll more commonly use this power and your other wild-card consumes to address Dark or Light, as you can't otherwise consume them until high level and you're likely to be putting them out sometimes.)
C. You get nothing. This is going to be somewhat common. You can either drop another AoE card if one's available (and note that both Crystallizing Blast and Tremulant Cyclone benefit from a single element consumption), or use a card needing that one element (preferably one that grants XP). Once you hit level 5, Winter's Edge gives you an Attack 5 you can use on a turn when elements aren't available, though the short range is a bit of a complication.

The desired pairings are somewhat obvious, but for reference, your best pairs of elements are Air/Fire and Earth/Ice. Also, Air and Ice are most valuable to you in gaining XP, though obviously that can change depending upon how you build your deck.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
In a twist of fate, my gaming group is willing to try Gloomhaven TONIGHT. How much digging should I/we do into the starting character classes? Just pick one that sounds cool? Or actually start reading through all their cards and the like?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Pick one that sounds cool and just use the level 1 cards to get a feel for the combat system and the flow of the game.

Then you start discussing the X cards and higher level cards.

Also, super important note. Each class will have modifier cards in its box. Those are for perks and are NOT in your starting deck.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
That I did know; but the reminder is welcome. I watched a couple of tutorial videos, so I'm feeling okay about the mechanics of it; they just didn't go into the "how much should you read into it before playing" type thing

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

If you know the rules, most of the classes will be pretty straightforward.

The Mindthief is the most complex class and its complexity is still spelled out on its cards.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My group just picked the classes that appealed most to each player's style (Brute/Tinkerer/Cragheart/Mindthief), and we barely eked out a win on scenario 1, after just picking whatever cards seemed cool and a cursory read of the rules and consulting them a couple times. We caught on to the traps pretty fast (in my case that the Mindthief's summons are pretty awful and you should almost always run the +2 damage Augment), and we've only lost one scenario so far, which is when we tried to do the first side scenario we unlocked while we were all still level 1.

We were all already into complex board games and the RAW game seems to be basically tuned for our exact level of skill and teamwork, so take that as you will. You still get all the experience and gold you gather in a losing game, so don't be afraid to be a bit over your head, but also don't be afraid to tune the difficulty up or down depending on how well you feel you're doing.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Anyone had any luck with the Tabletop Simulator mod for this? I'm considering starting a solo campaign with the Brute and Cragheart because none of us have played those classes yet and I don't want to have to modify the IRL attack decks between sessions since there are only 4.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You should get around to trying all the classes eventually, unless you deliberately go out of your way to unlock a new class every time you finish a personal quest, since there's a decent amount of overlap, and a couple of quests that don't unlock a character. My group is working towards the last four classes right now, and the only reason we haven't had a Spellweaver is that nobody really wants to play it, and one guy has played both Brute and Three Spears twice.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Elephant Ambush posted:

Anyone had any luck with the Tabletop Simulator mod for this? I'm considering starting a solo campaign with the Brute and Cragheart because none of us have played those classes yet and I don't want to have to modify the IRL attack decks between sessions since there are only 4.

We play exclusively on TTS. It's a bit of a ballache for single player because of how hands work, but it's doable and probably much much faster once you get used to the scripting mods.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

jivjov posted:

In a twist of fate, my gaming group is willing to try Gloomhaven TONIGHT. How much digging should I/we do into the starting character classes? Just pick one that sounds cool? Or actually start reading through all their cards and the like?

Beginner tips:

* All the starting classes are good, except the Spellweaver which is mediocrity personified until level 9
* The +2 damage augment for the Mindthief makes the class worthwhile, activate it instantly every scenario and never deactivate it
* Summons are pretty much always terrible outside of rare exceptions like when you find a ranged one
* Retaliate is always a waste of time for players (it can be really good on monsters)
* Stamina potions rule, all other pocket items drool (comparatively)
* Being able to run fast is really good
* Having a non-loss loot action on the top of a card is nice
* Mild personal goal spoiler, but worth it Dear god stay away from any personal goal that requires people to exhaust, they all have the number of exhausts set at about four times what they should be, house rule this poo poo if possible it's ridiculous

Gort fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 1, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm not sure why people dog on retaliate; it's really good at hurting enemies with high shields and low health (which are also the most hated monsters in this thread), especially if you can couple it with a couple layers of shield.

If you don't have at least one or two exhausts on average per scenario, you should probably up the difficulty. (E: For four players, obviously. If you're fewer, yeah, those goals are pretty extreme).

Why on earth do your characters, starting classes especially, ever reach level 9? I've never seen anything above level 7, and that's on a high-exp class with a retirement goal that ended up taking about 15 scenarios to reach.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 1, 2018

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
My very first character hit level 9 and had every possible perk - meaning there was no point to battle goals - due to the personal goal I picked. It was the one where you have to witness fifteen of your party members exhaust. So even if you lost every single scenario you played with a four-player party, you're still looking at an absolute minimum of five scenarios before you're retiring. It took me ages - other party members were onto their third character by the time I retired. In the end I came clean to the rest of the party and we started being cheesy and doing stuff like not killing the final monster until three of us had exhausted.

People dog on retaliate because it's bad. You gamble that the enemy will hit you (as opposed to putting up a big shield, healing themselves, summoning allies etc), and a lot of the time retaliate shows up on characters (like the Spellweaver) who have no business taking hits.

Sure, you can raise the difficulty to the point where characters are exhausting all the time, but our party would rather win every time rather than getting fairly small extra XP and gold rewards. Playing a scenario twice seems like a chore when there are a hundred out there - we've only failed once or twice if I remember correctly, and we've done a lot of scenarios by now.

Gort fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 1, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Gort posted:

* All the starting classes are good, except the Spellweaver which is mediocrity personified until level 9
This...I have no idea what you're talking about, the Spellweaver is awesome.

quote:

* Retaliate is always a waste of time for players (it can be really good on monsters)
Spending an action for Retaliate and nothing else is bad, but my group has gotten some serious value out of Retaliate plus high Shield values.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

If you don't have at least one or two exhausts on average per scenario, you should probably up the difficulty. (E: For four players, obviously. If you're fewer, yeah, those goals are pretty extreme).
My group is 3 players pretty consistently and we just started ratcheting up to +1 difficulty and we still almost never exhaust unless we completely wipe.

quote:

Why on earth do your characters, starting classes especially, ever reach level 9? I've never seen anything above level 7, and that's on a high-exp class with a retirement goal that ended up taking about 15 scenarios to reach.

Our Spellweaver hit level 9 because we just kept not getting any scenarios in the Forest.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Miftan posted:

We play exclusively on TTS. It's a bit of a ballache for single player because of how hands work, but it's doable and probably much much faster once you get used to the scripting mods.

Would you care to share more details either here or via PM? I'm durdling around with a mod now and it won't let me change classes or play more than one class at a time. Even though I set up a single player game it tells me I can't pick stuff up in certain areas of the table.

To be fair, this is literally the first time I've ever used TTS so I'm probably missing a lot of things. I did the basic tutorial but I have no idea how to unpack things or set up scenario 1.

Which mod do you use?

Edit: I found a better mod. It's a lot easier to use but now I can't figure out how to save my scenario 1 setup.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 2, 2018

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
saving in TTS is weird, you have to click on the Games at the top of the screen then click on the save & load button and hit Create to create a new save file.

one good thing to know about using the TTS mod is to create dice to keep track of damage instead of drawing out counters, although the best thing to do would be to use actual counters like the health/exp counters the gloomhaven mod uses. need to figure that out.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 2, 2018

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Dreylad posted:

saving in TTS is weird, you have to click on the Games at the top of the screen then click on the save & load button and hit Create to create a new save file.

one good thing to know about using the TTS mod is to create dice to keep track of damage instead of drawing out counters, although the best thing to do would be to use actual counters like the health/exp counters the gloomhaven mod uses. need to figure that out.

Hilariously, I'm just going to use Gloomhaven Helper on my phone to track all that :v:

Thanks for the tip on how to save!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Elephant Ambush posted:

Hilariously, I'm just going to use Gloomhaven Helper on my phone to track all that :v:

Thanks for the tip on how to save!

Ah missed the part where you said you were doing a solo campaign. That makes perfect sense. Good luck!