Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I didn't know that because roboriders were fukkin garbaaaaaaaage

they had this piece which is the most useless lego piece in existence and every set had them so when buying bulk bionicle/technic lots I wound up with dozens of them and they suck and almost invariably all were broken in some manner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

what the gently caress is that

thats not lego

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's the part that holds the roborider wheel thing. The parts on either side of the slot bend and eventually break off after bending enough, which is how many of the ones I acquired were

The part designed to hold that lovely piece, however, is an extremely useful technic piece for MOCs and showed up in a smattering of technic sets post-roboriders

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jul 3, 2018

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

I get the feeling you'dve been a gobots kid

Gobots were made by Tonka which meant that even back in the day when Transformers weren't super fragile things meant for neckbeards Gobots were still better built :colbert:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gobots defender force

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

Gobots were made by Tonka which meant that even back in the day when Transformers weren't super fragile things meant for neckbeards Gobots were still better built :colbert:

The at-at clone thing they made was a colossal piece of poo poo though.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Hurr durr I'm a command center.

Ya, its p dumb.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Looks like a GI Joe set.

I just looked at some of the Bionicle stuff on brickset. I couldn't even get through the list. They are barely Lego. I guess you could say they are sort of Technic, but not even that. I could see little boys liking them but do they even have build features?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes and no. Those sets came out in lego's "dark age" when they were on the verge of failing and their sets were loaded with custom limited use parts. I don't see the value in them myself but there are some unique parts in there that are fun to base builds on.

I suspect most people that really enjoy them grew up with them. I was a grumpy toys are for kids 20-something during that time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I was like 20 when they came out. They are fine as a kids toy, but they don't fall in line with anything I think is interesting about Lego. Although I agree it's nice having a couple of weird bionicle parts around to incorporate into builds. I was able to build some pretty crazy robot legs with parts from a buildable figure

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EvilJoven posted:

Ya, its p dumb.

I just sold mine on ebay a little while ago.

Made more money than some of my G1 transformers, so....

(it was lame in that mode but it was also a loving AT-AT)

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

xzzy posted:

Yes and no. Those sets came out in lego's "dark age" when they were on the verge of failing and their sets were loaded with custom limited use parts. I don't see the value in them myself but there are some unique parts in there that are fun to base builds on.

I suspect most people that really enjoy them grew up with them. I was a grumpy toys are for kids 20-something during that time.

Waltzing Along posted:

Looks like a GI Joe set.

I just looked at some of the Bionicle stuff on brickset. I couldn't even get through the list. They are barely Lego. I guess you could say they are sort of Technic, but not even that. I could see little boys liking them but do they even have build features?

... bionicle literally saved the company, so I really don't think you can say it's 'not Lego', and yeah, they had build features. Also, those parts can be really goddamn useful, and opened the door for the whole ball-and-socket systems that are key to making more dynamic builds.

Captain Invictus posted:

I didn't know that because roboriders were fukkin garbaaaaaaaage

they had this piece which is the most useless lego piece in existence and every set had them so when buying bulk bionicle/technic lots I wound up with dozens of them and they suck and almost invariably all were broken in some manner

It's a shame that the piece seems to break as you've described it, because that looks like a really useful detailing piece (they'd make fantastic armour plates for mech legs, for instance) that comes in lots of interesting colours and I'd love to have some , but this was during my personal dark ages so it's nothing in my collection. Parts like that are a goddamn joy and challenge.

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 3, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Apparently it’s leaked out that, as we all suspected, it’s a DB5. :toot:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Olpainless posted:

... bionicle literally saved the company, so I really don't think you can say it's 'not Lego', and yeah, they had build features. Also, those parts can be really goddamn useful, and opened the door for the whole ball-and-socket systems that are key to making more dynamic builds.

I never made an opinion on whether bionicle had anything to do with lego's success or failure. I just said it came out in the era they were having issues. :colbert:

I fully appreciate that they have useful parts, but as an 80's kid, looking at them on the shelf in the store I had a lot of "wtf is this poo poo, this company is doomed" type reactions.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

EvilJoven posted:

Ya, its p dumb.

At least the Go Bots had a cafeteria. Don't remember the G.I. Joe base having a mess hall!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Oh man I had that thing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The_Doctor posted:

Apparently it’s leaked out that, as we all suspected, it’s a DB5. :toot:

Why not post the pictures?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Why not post the pictures?

I don’t think pictures have leaked. The confirmation came from a Hungarian (IIRC) Lego store email saying a Creator DB5 was coming and would retail for €180.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I haven't seen pictures, I posted the link to the pre-order from the hungarian lego store a while ago.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Davros1 posted:

At least the Go Bots had a cafeteria. Don't remember the G.I. Joe base having a mess hall!

What do they serve in the Gobot cafeteria?

... that sounds like a Philip K. Dick novel.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TremorX posted:

What do they serve in the Gobot cafeteria?

It's GoBots so probably like 'energell spheres' or something

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All those shows were blatant marketing to kids so they probably ate Cheerio Circuits or Rice Krispy Resistors.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Waltzing Along posted:

Looks like a GI Joe set.

Early bionicle sets were absolutely technic. It was later series during the hero factory times that they became ultraspecialized.

The parts early on specifically work with almost all lego pieces, they follow that mathematical formula. Later ones got all rubbery and bullshit, but look at sets like muaka and kane-ra or the other beast bots, they are a treasure trove of beams and technic bits.

Olpainless posted:

It's a shame that the piece seems to break as you've described it, because that looks like a really useful detailing piece (they'd make fantastic armour plates for mech legs, for instance) that comes in lots of interesting colours and I'd love to have some , but this was during my personal dark ages so it's nothing in my collection. Parts like that are a goddamn joy and challenge.
This too. Bionicle wasn't the dark ages. Bionicle was right after the dark ages and helped significantly to pull them out.

And as for that piece, it's useless. It has no connecting parts, no stud spots, nothing except fitting into that other part I mentioned before, so you'd have to work pretty hard to keep them in place in a build.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Visited the Lego Store in the mall this weekend with my wife, just browsing. I made a subtle but not so subtle comment that I like the big London bus a lot. Hoping she picked up on it for my birthday in a couple months.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
What the heck is the clip behind the seat in Quantum Realm Explorer for??

Edit: guess it holds Scott’s raygun thingy

Dogen fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 4, 2018

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

tomapot posted:

Visited the Lego Store in the mall this weekend with my wife, just browsing. I made a subtle but not so subtle comment that I like the big London bus a lot. Hoping she picked up on it for my birthday in a couple months.

I'd really like this bus for my birthday. And if I don't get it for my birthday I will just go buy it anyway.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

tomapot posted:

:j: "Congrats honey. I booked us a trip to London, like you said you wanted."

:ohdear: "Uhm...., Thanks, I guess."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

OperaMouse posted:

:j: "Congrats honey. I booked us a trip to London, like you said you wanted."

:ohdear: "Uhm...., Thanks, I guess."

He’d get the Leicester Square Store exclusive minifig at least.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
True, even though 5.99£ is a bit shocking.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Captain Invictus posted:

And as for that piece, it's useless. It has no connecting parts, no stud spots, nothing except fitting into that other part I mentioned before, so you'd have to work pretty hard to keep them in place in a build.

Again, not having one to check, but the sliding components should fit into anything with a groove (https://brickset.com/parts/design-2653 and similar), and you should be able to mount something to that central pin when folded. (Something like https://brickset.com/parts/design-11458 might be a good shot). I think the holes in the pins are standard size as well so potential joins there.

(If someone has 4 of these in the same colour in the UK i want to buy them now just to find out)

As an aside, this conversation has made me take a look at the manuals for these, and drat, they had a lot of interesting and useful parts!

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 4, 2018

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

EvilJoven posted:

Ya, its p dumb.

Is that thing flashing me?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hey buddy, wanna buy a watch?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Darth TNT posted:

Is that thing flashing me?
It definitely is, but I think the equally strange part is that it's a giant robot that smaller robots live inside of. Like, there's a breakroom in that robot for other robots to have robot coffee and what-not. What is that like for the giant robot? What are conversations between him and the smaller robots like?

I bet awkward.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Go-Bots aren't actually robots, technically they're cyborgs, alien cyborgs. Their species used to be human looking but at some point they had a Calamity and to survive they implanted their brains in big robot bodies. Their ships aren't sentient(or sapient) either so they don't think much of anything about the whole thing

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Other posted:

Go-Bots aren't actually robots, technically they're cyborgs, alien cyborgs. Their species used to be human looking but at some point they had a Calamity and to survive they implanted their brains in big robot bodies.

Testing for fidelity.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The_Doctor posted:

Testing for fidelity.

I feel fuckin brand new.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I built the ship in a bottle today because it suddenly came in stock on prime now at $50 and my wife is sick so no real 4th festivities for us... but anyway it’s a pretty cool set. Probably not at full price but the compass thing is damned cool and I like the spinning globes, and the free floating water studs of course.

Slugworth posted:

It definitely is, but I think the equally strange part is that it's a giant robot that smaller robots live inside of. Like, there's a breakroom in that robot for other robots to have robot coffee and what-not. What is that like for the giant robot? What are conversations between him and the smaller robots like?

I bet awkward.

It’s like that episode of Futurama where Bender dates the ship probably

Dogen fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 4, 2018

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dogen posted:

I built the ship in a bottle today because it suddenly came in stock on prime now at $50 and my wife is sick so no real 4th festivities for us... but anyway it’s a pretty cool set. Probably not at full price but the compass thing is damned cool and I like the spinning globes, and the free floating water studs of course.

I hope you remembered to leave one blue stud out so you had the right amount!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Listen I’ve already had to adjust the sails and cannon covers I’m not going back in there for that. Who’s to say I didn’t get the exact right amount??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Tenebrais posted:

I hope you remembered to leave one blue stud out so you had the right amount!

I would count out the pieces.