Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
The impression I got from my boss is that Bleach turned into its own awful fanfiction after awhile, with the writer becoming less interested in telling a good story and more interested in putting in wicked sweet moments that only he found cool.

Also Bardock is good because he's the closest we can get to a Dark Knight Returns Goku and he married a sweetie. I will grant you, however, that we don't ever need to read about anyone's parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

HitTheTargets posted:

The impression I got from my boss is that Bleach turned into its own awful fanfiction after awhile, with the writer becoming less interested in telling a good story and more interested in putting in wicked sweet moments that only he found cool.

Absolutely this. By the end of the final arc every chapter was "Character A reveals their cool power, Character A loses to Villain A's cool power, Character B comes to the rescue and reveals their cool power"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Bad moment from the latest dubbed episode: Hit's awful "make the donuts" poo poo made it into the show

Why does this line keep popping up? Is their some meme about Hit running on Dunkin?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

TheHan posted:

Why does this line keep popping up? Is their some meme about Hit running on Dunkin?

Nah, it's just something Hit's voice actor said in the Xenoverse series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-pUSkxJxgc

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

In Xenoverse 2 when you pick Hit on the character select screen he says "time to make the donuts".

It's a silly line to say for a taciturn assassin so it just kinda caught on.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

TheHan posted:

Absolutely this. By the end of the final arc every chapter was "Character A reveals their cool power, Character A loses to Villain A's cool power, Character B comes to the rescue and reveals their cool power"

I honestly think that since he promised that this would be the final Arc that he was dragging it out for as long as he could so he can milk every dollar. The last Arc of bleach, which was built up as the final Arc, was longer than the rest of this series. If you ever want to go dig up the old bleach thread, you'll see almost everyone slowly dying and begging it to stop by the end. We were all kind of Trapped in a sisyphean Quest where we were so close to the ending we were still reading but we just loving hated every second of it. And then we were just terribly disappointed when he had to rush it all in five chapters because the editors finally said enough.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Covok posted:

I honestly think that since he promised that this would be the final Arc that he was dragging it out for as long as he could so he can milk every dollar. The last Arc of bleach, which was built up as the final Arc, was longer than the rest of this series. If you ever want to go dig up the old bleach thread, you'll see almost everyone slowly dying and begging it to stop by the end. We were all kind of Trapped in a sisyphean Quest where we were so close to the ending we were still reading but we just loving hated every second of it. And then we were just terribly disappointed when he had to rush it all in five chapters because the editors finally said enough.

Remember when Ichigo had to take the stairs to go fight the bad guys, then when he got to the bottom the bad guys went to the top of the stairs? Then when he got back to the top of the stairs the bad guys pushed him down and he had to make an elevator to get back to the top?

Fargin Icehole posted:

Nah, it's just something Hit's voice actor said in the Xenoverse series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-pUSkxJxgc

Still baffling a game for one of the biggest anime franchises to leave Japan gets a 90s era dub treatment.

I can definitely see Gotenks saying this though.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

TheHan posted:

Remember when Ichigo had to take the stairs to go fight the bad guys, then when he got to the bottom the bad guys went to the top of the stairs? Then when he got back to the top of the stairs the bad guys pushed him down and he had to make an elevator to get back to the top?

Remember how every character who didn't reveal their Bankai or Voldstagg yet would always have the perfect power to counteract whatever power was just revealed? Sometimes the power being so specific that it would only ever be useful in that one case? And always with no buildup?

Remember when they did things like have Nana Ise' Zanputko be Shusui's second sword or something and it had no impact because there were so many reveals every issue that all reveals just became numb?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Covok posted:

Remember how every character who didn't reveal their Bankai or Voldstagg yet would always have the perfect power to counteract whatever power was just revealed? Sometimes the power being so specific that it would only ever be useful in that one case? And always with no buildup?

Remember when they did things like have Nana Ise' Zanputko be Shusui's second sword or something and it had no impact because there were so many reveals every issue that all reveals just became numb?

The reveals had so little impact that Kisuke Urahara-a significant character since the start of the manga-dies like a dog to a character we just met and none of the other characters even notice.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

The Bee posted:

They made the Time Patrol too efficient at pinpointing where time problems start, imo. It means you really can't make room for any of those interesting divergence points, because you can cut them right off at the "villain wins" point. I'd bet you that any of the "Villain beats Goku" scenarios in Xenoverse could've lead to some fun, interesting divergences, if not for them being stopped so soon.

I thought it would be fun for them to keep running into issues after a string of missions and had to make a time warrior/s go back to the start of Dragon Ball itself and stick with Goku throughout the ages to determine what could be causing all these irregularities popping up consecutively where Goku never even met Roshi because he was killed or something. And if you need to investigate further you could go on a divergent line or two to see how Raditz hit earth before the first World Tournament happened or what if Cell heel turned and if this helps history stay together during the great Time Unfurling.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Remember when Kenpachi Zaraki finally unlocked his Bankai and it was poo poo?

Covok
May 27, 2013

TheHan posted:

The reveals had so little impact that Kisuke Urahara-a significant character since the start of the manga-dies like a dog to a character we just met and none of the other characters even notice.

And, thanks to the rushed ending with the worst ships imaginable, it's never even referenced that he died by anyone. Oh, also, Kisuke turns Yoruichi into a cat-girl and it's handled even creepier than the sentence implies.

Or how about the Arc starts by making it clear there is a villain for every letter of the alphabet. Which means we start with 26 villains!!! So many that most of them have to die off panel, making you wonder why they ever even existed.

Or Kenpachi finally getting his true Shikai...and it looking shittier than his unreleased sword.

Or how about when Yumichika figured out Giselle was a man because "he reeked of semen." Which is a weird rear end scene that just stuck with me for being the weirdest loving way to do the reveal...and the reveal not mattering and just being loving weird to even point out.

That said, there were good moments. Like Mask De Masculine's fight.

Covok fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 15, 2018

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

a cartoon duck posted:

In Xenoverse 2 when you pick Hit on the character select screen he says "time to make the donuts".

It's a silly line to say for a taciturn assassin so it just kinda caught on.

I mean, it's got the word time in it. That's the connection I guess. I'm sure it was a totally dope pun in Japanese that was maybe about rice balls and time.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

HitTheTargets posted:

I mean, it's got the word time in it. That's the connection I guess. I'm sure it was a totally dope pun in Japanese that was maybe about rice balls and time.

maybe about 4 rice balls on the edge of a cliff....

Covok
May 27, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

maybe about 4 rice balls on the edge of a cliff....

You take a bite and throw it off the cliff because they're terrible. But then, Chrona makes another one to replace it, like you're in some Sisyphean nightmare. It's just as bad as the first. It repeats on and on.

Time Travel works much the same way.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I just figured it was a pop-culturey way for him to say "welp, back to work"

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Kind of? If this Dunkin Donuts commercial was a smash hit in the 80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=petqFm94osQ

Covok posted:

That said, there were good moments. Like Mask De Masculine's fight.

It would've been great if Tite Kubo just doubled down on the craziness and humor of Mask with the other Quincy. Looking it up it seems like he's been teasing a new manga set in Bleach's universe.

https://twitter.com/JaymesHanson/status/1017393877530136576

And, uh, don't do that? Bleach was such a mess by the end that he'll either have to:

A. Completely ignore what happened in Bleach, in which case why not just make a new series entirely.

or B. Systematically scrub away all the terrible parts of Bleach. Which is just A again but done slowly over time.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Eat your donuts Apollo.

Covok
May 27, 2013

TheHan posted:

Kind of? If this Dunkin Donuts commercial was a smash hit in the 80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=petqFm94osQ

It would've been great if Tite Kubo just doubled down on the craziness and humor of Mask with the other Quincy. Looking it up it seems like he's been teasing a new manga set in Bleach's universe.

https://twitter.com/JaymesHanson/status/1017393877530136576

And, uh, don't do that? Bleach was such a mess by the end that he'll either have to:

A. Completely ignore what happened in Bleach, in which case why not just make a new series entirely.

or B. Systematically scrub away all the terrible parts of Bleach. Which is just A again but done slowly over time.

Burn the Witch is set in the Bleach universe? I thought it was going to be something seperate.

I'm not shocked he is considering a sequel, though. Mr "I CAN'T STOP DESIGNING CHARACTERS: BLEACH NEED MORE CHARACTERS: GOT TO MAKE MORE CHARACTERS" literally ended the series setting up a plot hook for the main character's children. And, like, Naruto did the same thing and got BORT: THE NEXT GENERATION out of it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Because Naruto actually ended in a definitive way and didnt burn away (all) of its good will.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
BtW is London Soul Society

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Because Naruto actually ended in a definitive way and didnt burn away (all) of its good will.

And to be fair, Boruto is actually good (the anime version anyway).

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah, I remember reading the end of Naruto and hearing that "the adventures of Bort will continue" and went "I'm okay with this."

Well, until I read the first few issues of the comic. Outside the potential cuckqueening of Sakura making goons lose their poo poo, there wasn't much to keep my interest.

Larryb posted:

And to be fair, Boruto is actually good (the anime version anyway).

I did hear the anime was a lot better, though. Never did see it.

Dexo posted:

BtW is London Soul Society

So...they are going with the fan theory that every country had their own afterlife? And they did so by going to London and doing witches and not, like, going to America and giving us kicking rad Cowboy action?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I would probably read (or watch if there's no manga, tho I never watched the Bleach adaptation tbh) more poo poo set in the Bleach universe. For an arc or two before it goes south lmao.

Did anyone read zombiepowder? I remember really digging it. I like Kubo's style a lot but Bleach just got dumb after Soul Society.

Did Ichigo end up with purest waifu Rukia in the end y/n?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Covok posted:

Yeah, I remember reading the end of Naruto and hearing that "the adventures of Bort will continue" and went "I'm okay with this."

Well, until I read the first few issues of the comic. Outside the potential cuckqueening of Sakura making goons lose their poo poo, there wasn't much to keep my interest.

Watch the anime, it has barely anything to do with the manga (and what it does adapt it kind of fixes a bit) and kind of brings things back to the feel of pre-Shippuden Naruto. In a sense it's kind of like GT done right.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I thought Boruto was just some wordplay for Boring naruto, like how Boring Dragon ball Z was Dragon Ball zzzzzzzzz

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Bleach was really cool until they went into heaven/soul Society.

It really should have stayed Idiot Teen Squad helps ghosts fights monsters.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

I thought Boruto was just some wordplay for Boring naruto, like how Boring Dragon ball Z was Dragon Ball zzzzzzzzz

Boruto is the name of Naruto's son. Technically his name is Bolt, but Boruto seems to be the official romanization so that's what I'm going with.

Covok
May 27, 2013

esperterra posted:

I would probably read (or watch if there's no manga, tho I never watched the Bleach adaptation tbh) more poo poo set in the Bleach universe. For an arc or two before it goes south lmao.

Did anyone read zombiepowder? I remember really digging it. I like Kubo's style a lot but Bleach just got dumb after Soul Society.

Did Ichigo end up with purest waifu Rukia in the end y/n?

Nope, he married Orihime. Rukia got together with Renji. Chad and Uryia were never shown in the epilouge (I think?) so, I don't know, maybe they hooked up. Kon likely remained forever alone.

Edit: Also, it's kind of funny that, in a line-up of characters named Icihigo, Orihime, Rukia, Kenpachi, etc, there is just some guy named Chad.

Larryb posted:

Watch the anime, it has barely anything to do with the manga (and what it does adapt it kind of fixes a bit) and kind of brings things back to the feel of pre-Shippuden Naruto. In a sense it's kind of like GT done right.

I can certainly give it a shot. I suppose it would be interesting to watch "hey, it's like the original Naruto but the new Nartuo has parents and a sister but he's kind of an entitled brat and he wants Sasuke to be his real dad" if it's written as good as pre-Shippuden Naruto.

Larryb posted:

Boruto is the name of Naruto's son. Technically his name is Bolt, but Boruto seems to be the official romanization so that's what I'm going with.

And I still use the original fan translation of "Bort." Because, even still, it makes me laugh.

Covok fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 15, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Covok posted:

Nope, he married Orihime. Rukia got together with Renji. Chad and Uryia were never shown in the epilouge (I think?) so, I don't know, maybe they hooked up. Kon likely remained forever alone.

smdh. Though tbh Renji makes a lot of sense even with how early I stopped reading it. Ichi and Rukia felt like a sure thing early on tho so I am mildly surprised! But not too surprised since I missed a looooot of the series. One of the benefits to stopping after Soul Society was allowing my gay teenage brain to pretend Tatsuki and Orihime were destined for g(ay)reatness.

Did Tatsuki ever amount to anything badass or was she unceremoniously dropped eventually for being a weak human whose power is idk, she could sense where her best friend was all the time??? or whatever lmfao

e: chad was a baller so I'm glad to hear he seems to last the whole series even if he isn't important enough for an epilogue lol

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

making GBS threads on bleach here every week was honestly pretty enjoyable

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I can imagine it was fun to keep up if you had people to bitch with, yeah. I just bounced so early into the Bount arc it never seemed worth catching up for the finish.

I did lurk that thread for a while tho lol

Covok
May 27, 2013

esperterra posted:

smdh. Though tbh Renji makes a lot of sense even with how early I stopped reading it. Ichi and Rukia felt like a sure thing early on tho so I am mildly surprised! But not too surprised since I missed a looooot of the series. One of the benefits to stopping after Soul Society was allowing my gay teenage brain to pretend Tatsuki and Orihime were destined for g(ay)reatness.

Did Tatsuki ever amount to anything badass or was she unceremoniously dropped eventually for being a weak human whose power is idk, she could sense where her best friend was all the time??? or whatever lmfao

Literally, the last time she ever did anything was in the Karakura-Raizer two-parter. Which was anime filler, but I consider it canon because it was awesome.

5 second explanation: they did a two parter where Kisuke recruits all the people with weak spiritual power in Karakura and forms a super team to stop Aizen's advanced forces. He did it because everyone else was too busy fighting in Hueco Mundo or getting ready for the fight in the Fake Karakura town. And Kiskuke himself was too busy setting up the trap for Aizen to send him to the fake town.

It's played up as a super sentai parody and it's loving great.

esperterra posted:

chad was a baller so I'm glad to hear he seems to last the whole series even if he isn't important enough for an epilogue lol

Well, saying he survived to the end is a bit of misnomer. See, he was still around and would constantly be like "I'm going to get stronger so I can keep up" and then he never did anything. Like, he was there. I think he got a fight in the final arc, but I'm not sure. He was there for support, he got some lines, and he was always there for big group fights. But, he was kind of treated like Tien, you know? He's there, they recongize him, he still shows up, but he does nothing of importance.

To be honest, one of the worst parts of the Thousand Year Blood War storyline is, and I mean this with no exaggeration, Ichigo and friends are only in like 10% of it. Like, 90% of the story is focused on the Soul Society's cast of characters. It's kind of sad, really. Especially when you remember that arc is LONGER than the rest of Bleach. So Ichigo and company are side-lined for an ungodly amount of their own series.

Also, I looked it up and Chad did get an epilouge scene:

"Ten years later, Sado becomes a famous boxer and competes in the WBO World Heavyweight title match."

And so did Uryu

"Ten years after Yhwach's defeat, Uryū, now a doctor, takes a long lunch break on the roof of his workplace. He watches Sado's boxing match on his phone in order to make up for not being able to see it with his friends."

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

[url] https://twitter.com/skippytherobot/status/1018342416032698368?s=21[/url]

Here’s the scene

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

esperterra posted:

e: chad was a baller so I'm glad to hear he seems to last the whole series even if he isn't important enough for an epilogue lol

Oh god, CHAD. It's like he was trapped in his own personal ironic hell where he's forced to constantly get power-ups only to get dunked on in his next fight.

Covok posted:

"Ten years after Yhwach's defeat, Uryū, now a doctor, takes a long lunch break on the roof of his workplace. He watches Sado's boxing match on his phone in order to make up for not being able to see it with his friends."

I legitimately forgot about this, weren't those the exact opposite of what Chad and Uryū wanted to do with their lives? Chad only wanted to fight to protect the people who couldn't, and Uryū didn't want to be like his father.

Covok
May 27, 2013

TheHan posted:

Oh god, CHAD. It's like he was trapped in his own personal ironic hell where he's forced to constantly get power-ups only to get dunked on in his next fight.

I legitimately forgot about this, weren't those the exact opposite of what Chad and Uryū wanted to do with their lives? Chad only wanted to fight to protect the people who couldn't, and Uryū didn't want to be like his father.

Holy poo poo, I just realized: CHAD WAS THE YAMCHA OF BLEACH! Like, he totally was the loving Yamcha. Cool for like one or two story archs, got a nice physical design, and was in the background till the end...but only existed to job and job and job some more.

Also, I think you're right. That epilouge kind of does miss the point of their characters. But, to be fair, I feel like they were building to a "Uryu forgives his father" moment, especially when they teased Ryuken and Isshin showing up in the final act. I bet they were going to do something with (hahaha) but then they got told to end it in five issues to end all of our suffering. So, I can see Uryu deciding to become like his father in the end.

As for Chad, I think that's a case of Chaotzu's, you know? Tite had literally no plans or ideas for him so he just went "gently caress it, the only thing he does is punch hard so I guess he becomes a boxer: gently caress that he practically had an Uncle Ben telling him to use his powers responsibly as part of his backstory."

Andrast posted:

making GBS threads on bleach here every week was honestly pretty enjoyable

esperterra posted:

I can imagine it was fun to keep up if you had people to bitch with, yeah. I just bounced so early into the Bount arc it never seemed worth catching up for the finish.

I did lurk that thread for a while tho lol

Yeah, it actually was pretty fun. Sometimes more fun than reading the actual series. No lie, it became such a part of my weekly routine in college that I actually felt a little lost when I didn't have a new issues to bitch about.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Covok posted:

So...they are going with the fan theory that every country had their own afterlife? And they did so by going to London and doing witches and not, like, going to America and giving us kicking rad Cowboy action?

Yeah witches + dragons

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Just pretend zombiepowder is the American/Cowboy version of Bleach imho

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HitTheTargets posted:

the final villain's power was literally "he says that he wins, and then his opponent falls over dead"

said villain carried on in this fashion for at least 50 chapters

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I have never seen an anime go from THE NEXT BIG THING STANDING SIDE BY SIDE WITH DRAGON BALL Z AND WANPISS AND NALT to huh I guess that was a thing once faster and more sudden than Bleach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Calaveron posted:

I have never seen an anime go from THE NEXT BIG THING STANDING SIDE BY SIDE WITH DRAGON BALL Z AND WANPISS AND NALT to huh I guess that was a thing once faster and more sudden than Bleach

It's what happens when your writer builds up something for the entire series...then realizes they wrote themselves into a corner and flubs the landing...only to then trip down an up-going escalator and continue tumbling down for the next ten years...before finally succumbing to the built-up blunt force trauma and dying a pauper's death.