Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Over the summer I've been working in a building that contains 125 gallons of mercury as part of what it needs to function properly :nfpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Luneshot posted:

Over the summer I've been working in a building that contains 125 gallons of mercury as part of what it needs to function properly :nfpa:

My first thought was the Large Zenith Telescope, but that is no longer in operation and I don’t think it used quite that much mercury.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Luneshot posted:

oh so they're having another go at using mercury to increase thrust impulse

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Isnt the liquid metal sort of Mercury mostly harmless unless you manage to get it into your bloodstream somehow? I've seen photos of of guy floating in a pool of it. Also read a few things about it being ingested as a laxative back in the old days. Also straight pumped up the dickhole as a treatment for syphilis. Not exactly harmless but not immediate death.

I do know of that certain kind that causes a horrible prolonged death like that poor lady chemist that had a drop go through her glove and died an agonizing death.

I once accidentally stepped on a thermometer and broke it. I could see a few little tiny beads of the Mercury on the carpet. I didn't know how to clean it up and it freaked me out so I put a little rug over that piece of carpet until I moved out. That little bit of Mercury is probably still in that carpet or maybe under the floor at that apartment.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Liquid mercury is fine-ish, even if you drink the stuff you're not going to get any significant uptake through your guts. Mercury vapor is what fucks you up, because it gets into your blood way easier through your lungs.

The big hazard of having a big ol' pool of liquid mercury around is the mercury vapour that comes along with it. Hiding it away somewhere it can evaporate and continue poisoning the air is one of the worse things you can do with a mercury spill.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Platystemon posted:

My first thought was the Large Zenith Telescope, but that is no longer in operation and I don’t think it used quite that much mercury.

Not far off!

It's the Dunn Solar Telescope. The entire telescope optical tube, which is ~300 feet long, plus the entire instrument setup (on a platform we can walk on), totals about 350 tons. All of that is supported by the mercury float bearing; when the "motors" are turned off I can rotate the entire multi-hundred ton structure with my foot.

It's kind of a bizarre telescope, honestly. Nobody else ever built anything like this place (and probably with good reason).
https://imgur.com/a/XwYw9eg for some pictures.

(And yes, we are well aware of the hazard posed by mercury vapor; there are a LOT of safety systems and mercury vapor monitoring sensors in place. It may have been built in the 60s but we're much more modern when it comes to safety).

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I do know of that certain kind that causes a horrible prolonged death like that poor lady chemist that had a drop go through her glove and died an agonizing death.
That one was dimethyl mercury, which is loads more penetrating than just the liquid metal. And just to make that incident even more tragic, she thought she would be fine with those gloves. At the time we didn't know just how many things would be permeable to the stuff. Getting through your skin is one thing. Also getting through the latex glove was another. She was following all the relevant safety procedures to the letter and yet she still died. :eek:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Karen Wetterhahn's name is pretty much permanently seared into my brain. What a horrific way to die.

This thread has taught me that "methyl" very often means extremely bad news.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Luneshot posted:

Not far off!

It's the Dunn Solar Telescope. The entire telescope optical tube, which is ~300 feet long, plus the entire instrument setup (on a platform we can walk on), totals about 350 tons. All of that is supported by the mercury float bearing; when the "motors" are turned off I can rotate the entire multi-hundred ton structure with my foot.

It's kind of a bizarre telescope, honestly. Nobody else ever built anything like this place (and probably with good reason).
https://imgur.com/a/XwYw9eg for some pictures.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

It’s like a lighthouse’s bearing but on a grand scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNiWKD7VoBU

http://uslhs.org/lens-rotation

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Karen Wetterhahn's name is pretty much permanently seared into my brain. What a horrific way to die.

This thread has taught me that "methyl" very often means extremely bad news.

Idunno methyl alkyls are a pretty good way to get lots of stuff into the brain

amphetamine
phenidate
tryptamines

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Idunno methyl alkyls are a pretty good way to get lots of stuff into the brain

amphetamine
phenidate
tryptamines

mercury too apparently

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jabor posted:

Liquid mercury is fine-ish, even if you drink the stuff you're not going to get any significant uptake through your guts. Mercury vapor is what fucks you up, because it gets into your blood way easier through your lungs.

The big hazard of having a big ol' pool of liquid mercury around is the mercury vapour that comes along with it. Hiding it away somewhere it can evaporate and continue poisoning the air is one of the worse things you can do with a mercury spill.

Mercury's got a pretty low vapor pressure, though, and doesn't readily vaporize at room temperature. The vapors are also heavier than air. So unless you were spending a lot of time in the basement of that building, or the building were unventilated, you'd probably be okay.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Mercury's got a pretty low vapor pressure, though, and doesn't readily vaporize at room temperature. The vapors are also heavier than air. So unless you were spending a lot of time in the basement of that building, or the building were unventilated, you'd probably be okay.

Just a half-remembered factoid, but I heard that part of the problem with mercury vapor is that it gets taken up by microorganisms, and many of them deal with excess mercury by converting it into an organic molecule, like methylmercury, so they can excrete it. So the fumes themselves are bad enough, but when mercury gets into the local biome it turns into something much nastier.

Wasn't this the worst thing about Paris Green? Arsenic-impregnated cloth and wallpaper were already bad enough, but mold and mildew excrete it as arsine, which was especially bad news to someone bedridden with age or illness. "Either this wallpaper goes, or..."

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Syd Midnight posted:

Just a half-remembered factoid, but I heard that part of the problem with mercury vapor is that it gets taken up by microorganisms, and many of them deal with excess mercury by converting it into an organic molecule, like methylmercury, so they can excrete it. So the fumes themselves are bad enough, but when mercury gets into the local biome it turns into something much nastier.

Yes, that's correct. Aquatic bacteria metabolize mercury to methymercury, and then that bioaccumulates and makes people sick.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5289874/

Not going to happen in a basement, though.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Syd Midnight posted:

Wasn't this the worst thing about Paris Green? Arsenic-impregnated cloth and wallpaper were already bad enough, but mold and mildew excrete it as arsine, which was especially bad news to someone bedridden with age or illness. "Either this wallpaper goes, or..."

I thought someone debunked that? I mean, yes fungi do metabolise it into arsine, but didn't someone do the math and work out that the quantities produced would never be enough to poison anyone?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea - don't heat mercury (because it vaporizes and gets inside you) and don't dump mercury into the water supply (because bacteria turn it into methylmercury), and you'll be fine. It's pretty inert, as long as you don't disturb it mercury won't gently caress you up.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

The_White_Crane posted:

I thought someone debunked that? I mean, yes fungi do metabolise it into arsine, but didn't someone do the math and work out that the quantities produced would never be enough to poison anyone?

At least according to Wikipedia. Poisoning symptoms can occur after long term exposure at 0.5 PPM

If you're already sick and in a Victorian ish era house with not a lot of air circulation? Intuition is telling me that it wouldn't take much arsenic munching fungi to hit that level of toxicity. (especially if you're already sick from BLA)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
What is BLA and why did the acronym get picked to make a noise you make when you're not feeling well (slash are a Dracula)?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Phy posted:

What is BLA and why did the acronym get picked to make a noise you make when you're not feeling well (slash are a Dracula)?

quote:

Adjective
blah (comparative more blah, superlative most blah)

(informal) Dull; uninteresting; insipid.
Well, the new restaurant seems nice, but their menu is a little blah.
(informal) Low in spirit or health; down.
I decided to go exercise rather than sit around all day feeling blah.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/blah#Adjective

quote:

bleah

(slang, US) Expresses negative feeling. The quality of the emotion expressed is more negative than that of 'blah' and has a slight feeling of disgust, verging on nausea.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bleah

To be more specific on the Dracula front:
http://www.maximumfun.org/2011/10/31/history-and-origin-draculas-use-bizarre-expletive-bleh
http://www.maximumfun.org/2011/10/31/additional-bleh-pop-culture

ulmont has a new favorite as of 18:15 on Jul 17, 2018

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Isnt the liquid metal sort of Mercury mostly harmless unless you manage to get it into your bloodstream somehow?
It's inert enough if swallowed that in the past it has been used as a laxative, working purely through mechanical action.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Phy posted:

My guess would be Blood Loss Anemia, also appropriate to Draculas.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

It's inert enough if swallowed that in the past it has been used as a laxative, working purely through mechanical action.

The Elements of Murder is full of interesting stories about mercury, arsenic, antimony, lead, and thallium, but one of my favorites was the 19th century laxative (which is a scary enough phrase) that was simply a little ball of pure antimony. One was enough for a whole family and would last them for many years because it was meant to be reused, even handed down through the generations. Yeah.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
This is reminding me of a list of some North American traditional herbal remedies I read once. Something like 80% of them were used to promote pooping. Was constipation a major problem back in the day?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
At a certain point, pooping is one of the first things we've gotten to a science. Easy to tell you're constipated and eastly to tell when something fixed it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
It's beyond just fixing constipation. People have been obsessed with pooping more/better for the entirety of human history. There's the obvious (real or imagined) implications about getting rid of poisons and evil and such, and pooping regularly and powerfully does genuinely help reduce the extent of the parasitic infections that are common anywhere people are drinking untreated water.

I have a book of old medieval woodcuts and in one of them there's a guy being given an enema with a gourd hanging in a tree

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 05:13 on Jul 20, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Traditional as in Native American, or like European-centric stuff? Between humor theory and puritanical SIN EXCRETION RARAGH I could see a disproportionate concern with digestive health.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Also if life sucks a good poo poo can make your day.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is reminding me of a list of some North American traditional herbal remedies I read once. Something like 80% of them were used to promote pooping. Was constipation a major problem back in the day?

People have just always been obsessed with pooping.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sagebrush posted:

It's beyond just fixing constipation. People have been obsessed with pooping more/better for the entirety of human history. There's the obvious (real or imagined) implications about getting rid of poisons and evil and such, and pooping regularly and powerfully does genuinely help reduce the extent of the parasitic infections that are common anywhere people are drinking untreated water.

I have a book of old medieval woodcuts and in one of them there's a guy being given an enema with a gourd hanging in a tree

Don't forget that you could be told to drink mercury for constipation.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Zil posted:

Don't forget that you could be told to drink mercury for constipation.

I'd imagine drinking mercury would be a terrible idea. Given its propensity for getting *everywhere* there's a nook and cranny, letting it anywhere near a gumline or the sublingual region seems stupid. If you absolutely *had* to, a funnel directly into the throat would likely be the 'safest' way.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd imagine drinking mercury would be a terrible idea. Given its propensity for getting *everywhere* there's a nook and cranny, letting it anywhere near a gumline or the sublingual region seems stupid. If you absolutely *had* to, a funnel directly into the throat would likely be the 'safest' way.

That's probably why it works. Pushed through every nook and cranny on its way out.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Mercury has a really high surface tension and doesn't "wet" most objects, so it's not like it's going to just seep into cracks and stay there.

Like others have mentioned, it's an effective laxitive. If you drank a cup of it (~250ml, ~3.5kg!) it would just move into your GI tract and then try to find the center of the earth, forming an approximate sphere as it moved downward, pushing everything else out of its way.

Since it's pretty inert in its raw metallic form, you could then collect it as it came out the other end, wash everything off, and use it again, almost completely unharmed (both you and the mercury).

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Lots of places those were written had very high-fiber, high-protein, low-water diets.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Pooping is one of those things where, if it stops, you are about to loving die.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Mercury has a really high surface tension and doesn't "wet" most objects, so it's not like it's going to just seep into cracks and stay there.

Like others have mentioned, it's an effective laxitive. If you drank a cup of it (~250ml, ~3.5kg!) it would just move into your GI tract and then try to find the center of the earth, forming an approximate sphere as it moved downward, pushing everything else out of its way.

Since it's pretty inert in its raw metallic form, you could then collect it as it came out the other end, wash everything off, and use it again, almost completely unharmed (both you and the mercury).

Lots of places those were written had very high-fiber, high-protein, low-water diets.

Doesn't the lower GI tract involve lots of moving laterally? Seems like you could get your Mercury stuck in a small intestine hammock

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

Doesn't the lower GI tract involve lots of moving laterally? Seems like you could get your Mercury stuck in a small intestine hammock

One assumes peristalsis plus the movement of your body would take care of that.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

... and in some other places where mercury wasn't available or was hilariously expensive, there used to be "pooping pills" which were more or less iron/bronze/other metal pellets people swallowed to act as an battering ram to cut thru intestinal blockages.

After they came out, they were washed and stored away for the next case. Sometimes they were even ornamental and given as an inheritance.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

VanSandman posted:

Pooping is one of those things where, if it stops, you are about to loving die.

There's a sweet thread in the goon doctor about health care stories. Lots of lack of poop.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

The_White_Crane posted:

One assumes peristalsis plus the movement of your body would take care of that.

Peristalsis is strong enough that if you get a long enough fibre stuck inside you (or more typically your cat) your intestines will pull themselves out of your mouth, I don't think they're gonna have issues with a couple pounds of mercury.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mustached Demon posted:

There's a sweet thread in the goon doctor about health care stories. Lots of lack of poop.

Either due to illness or people stuffing things up there with non flared bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Zil posted:

Either due to illness or people stuffing things up there with non flared bases.
Always flare your bases people.

And just keep acids away from your butt altogether.