Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CLAM DOWN posted:

That literally doesn't matter. Treat everyone with kindness, patience, and respect. Don't be an rear end in a top hat. That doesn't change with how smart you are, how correct you are, how busy you are, etc.

Did anyone else laugh at the irony here? I can't be the only one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

Did anyone else laugh at the irony here? I can't be the only one.

Yes because my posting persona is exactly identical to me IRL

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

CLAM DOWN posted:

That literally doesn't matter. Treat everyone with kindness, patience, and respect. Don't be an rear end in a top hat. That doesn't change with how smart you are, how correct you are, how busy you are, etc.

Absolutely agreeing with this. IT has a terrible reputation for arrogance, condescension, and impatience. There's often a hostile attitude, rampant distrust, and that doesn't serve anyone well. Whether you're a senior sysadmin/devops guru or in frontline helpdesk, at the end of the day IT is a service job. You are there to service the needs of your users, your company, and your clients.

When I left my old job of around ~700 employees about 25 different people from EVPs to Medical Editors outright hugged me. People begged me to stay in touch, offered management advice, said how much they were going to miss me. They didn't know a drat thing about the powershell scripts I wrote or the SCCM management I did. What they did know was that I was kind, positive, and helpful, and now I pretty much don't need to worry about unemployment anytime soon.

Just be sincere, and be sincerely kind. It pays off.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 18, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yes because my posting persona is exactly identical to me IRL

... you go around telling everyone in Canada how universal healthcare is awesome? That seems a bit of a waste of time, but good on you.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

It's way easier to be nice than an rear end in a top hat in my opinion.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Vargatron posted:

This is generally true and is certainly something to think about when you've got your customer service face on. But in reality, if your place is burning you out and that thing is broken because you've been trying to get it fixed for years and management doesn't loving listen and the user is REALLY NOT HAPPY RIGHT NOW it can be tough not to be frustrated with the whole situation.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

... you go around telling everyone in Canada how universal healthcare is awesome? That seems a bit of a waste of time, but good on you.

I also respond in SA emotes only.

(I may have added a couple to Slack....)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Vargatron posted:

Yeah, and if things are so bad that you feel you need to be a prick to people then you're just speeding up the death spiral. Practise not giving a gently caress as a step on the journey to getting out, but don't kid yourself that not every job has people who are terrible to interact with working there, just avoid them where possible.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Internet Explorer posted:

This is generally true and is certainly something to think about when you've got your customer service face on. But in reality, if your place is burning you out and that thing is broken because you've been trying to get it fixed for years and management doesn't loving listen and the user is REALLY NOT HAPPY RIGHT NOW it can be tough not to be frustrated with the whole situation.

Trying to get it fixed for years? Wha...?

At some point you leave a paper trail where you’ve covered you rear end and move on. I’m guessing that there are probably a zillion broken things that people do care about in that org. Find those things and fix them. Instead of burning yourself out ramming your head against a wall no one else cares about, you’ll be everyone’s hero and your life will be much better for it.

I get that this was an example, but I know people IRL who find lonely hills to die and I’ve never understood it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Agrikk posted:

Trying to get it fixed for years? Wha...?

At some point you leave a paper trail where you’ve covered you rear end and move on. I’m guessing that there are probably a zillion broken things that people do care about in that org. Find those things and fix them. Instead of burning yourself out ramming your head against a wall no one else cares about, you’ll be everyone’s hero and your life will be much better for it.

I get that this was an example, but I know people IRL who find lonely hills to die and I’ve never understood it.

I'm not talking about CYA. In any case, my rear end is covered.

I'm talking about basic human empathy. If an end user is frustrated, and rightfully so, about something you've tried to get fixed and haven't been able to, it can be hard for some people to just turn off and smile. "No one else cares about" is not the case here, the user clearly cares about it. I couldn't give a gently caress what management thinks of the situation. I have empathy for the user whose day it just ruined because it was predictable and fixable.

I'm not talking about dying on this hill. I don't stay awake at night worrying about it. It's still frustrating when it happens because I have empathy.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

When I left my old job of around ~700 employees about 25 different people from EVPs to Medical Editors hugged me, begged me to stay in touch, offered management advice and said how much they were going to miss me. They didn't know a drat thing about the powershell scripts I wrote or the SCCM management I did. What they did know was that I was kind, positive, and helpful, and now I pretty much don't need to worry about unemployment anytime soon.

When I left my old job, the entire office threw me a going away party and people cried. A lot of other people had left the company and didn't get any kind of party.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I was told we're doing a "budget narrative" for all the departmental budgets for 2019 so instead of my usual spreadsheet with a few sentences I gotta fill a word doc up with buzz words in execu-speak.

Now...how will 20 new desktops affect the paradigm shift?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Nastier Nate posted:

I was told we're doing a "budget narrative" for all the departmental budgets for 2019 so instead of my usual spreadsheet with a few sentences I gotta fill a word doc up with buzz words in execu-speak.

Now...how will 20 new desktops affect the paradigm shift?

You could use them to decentralise the storage of your business assets http://www.piedpiper.com/#decentralization-guide

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I completely agree with being nice never hurt anyone. I always try to help out anyone and will keep doing so until people start abusing it. It doesn’t happen often though, as most people realize it’s pretty handy to have people who do you favors in large corperations.

Also, just try to be a good human being.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Honestly if you are in a position where you are dealing with execs regularly and have to run poo poo by your managers before talking to them either A) your managers are way overprotective weirdos or B) you're an rear end in a top hat who has hosed it up. I deal with our execs on the regular and even though I have had to vehemently push back against some of their stuff, I've never had to be talked to by my boss about how I speak to them. It's real basic business etiquette that a lot of people somehow lack especially in this field.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Treat everyone with kindness, patience, and respect.

Good luck with that.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I don’t even know what I’ve been saying. poo poo has been really bad in general though. I hate my job, my personal life is falling apart, I have multiple panic attacks a week, so maybe that’s leaking into my communication.

I’m also literally autistic, so that doesn’t help with regards to telling how I’m going to sound to other people.

And yes, I’m getting therapy.

And I just moved 45 minutes from the only town I’ve ever lived in to move closer to the job that I ended up realizing shortly after that I needed to leave.

And I get about 4-5 hours of sleep a night because of how miserable I am. Boy howdy let me tell you, that really helps.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 18, 2018

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Good luck with that.

Works fine 99.99% of the time.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I’m sorry I only deal with at least 5 nines.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I don’t even know what I’ve been saying. poo poo has been really bad in general though. I hate my job, my personal life is falling apart, I have multiple panic attacks a week, so maybe that’s leaking into my communication.

I’m also literally autistic, so that doesn’t help with regards to telling how I’m going to sound to other people.

And I just moved 45 minutes from the only town I’ve ever lived in to move closer to the job that I ended up realizing shortly after that I needed to leave.

And I get about 4-5 hours of sleep a night because of how miserable I am. Boy howdy let me tell you, that really helps.

I'm sorry to hear of those troubles. I can tell you from experience that personal struggles absolutely do leak into how we interact with the workplace and it's very difficult to keep those two sides separated. Meditation and counseling really helped me, hope you find an outlet yourself. There isn't nearly enough care of mental health as there should be in tech, and I feel it's a big contributor to a lot of the issues in IT.

GreenNight posted:

I’m sorry I only deal with at least 5 nines.

Good luck with that.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm sorry to hear of those troubles. I can tell you from experience that personal struggles absolutely do leak into how we interact with the workplace and it's very difficult to keep those two sides separated. Meditation and counseling really helped me, hope you find an outlet yourself. There isn't nearly enough care of mental health as there should be in tech, and I feel it's a big contributor to a lot of the issues in IT.

Yeah, this, I was dealing with a ton of poo poo a year or so ago, along with work being a terrible place due to a lot of factors and it 100% leaked into my interactions with co-workers.

Good luck with everything Eagle hopefully poo poo gets better.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I know it's not helpful to hear, but really try to get that sleep part under control. Same with eating decently. If you drink a lot of coffee, try to cut back. But seriously, sleep plays a gigantic role.

I've struggled with anxiety, panic attacks, and depression my entire life. I can remember having panic attacks as far back as when I was 5 or 6.

If you want to grab a beer and chat sometime let me know. If there's anything else I can do to help just hit me up.

[Edit: And as others have mentioned, good on you as therapy really does help. You should hopefully learn techniques that are similar to meditation and while you won't win 100% of your battles with a panic attack, the first step is to get yourself out of one. The rest is just a matter of degree.]

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Anyone here work in an HP shop specifically one where its mostly laptops and docks? I'm looking to try to convince people to switch because Dells been really lovely besides the overcharge monitor thing.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

LionYeti posted:

Anyone here work in an HP shop specifically one where its mostly laptops and docks? I'm looking to try to convince people to switch because Dells been really lovely besides the overcharge monitor thing.

I've worked with both and I preferred Dell's build quality and serviceability.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I've got an office full of elitebooks and slimline docks, ama.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

All computers are bad

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

All computers are bad

Not an empty quote

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Dude, you need to get that sleep. Even if you need to get a prescription from your physician for sleeping pills. Sleep is when your brain starts detoxifying itself of all the poo poo it had to deal with while you were awake, and short-changing it seriously fucks things up. Guarantee that if you got 8 solid hours of sleep a night then things will start to settle in place and the avalanche of poo poo you're dealing with will subside somewhat. Can't promise it will all go away, but problems won't seem so insurmountable, solutions will appear more frequently, and you'll be better able to deal with the daily grind.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

LionYeti posted:

Yes but make sure you go with side docks and not the loving terrible thunderbolt docks.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

GreenNight posted:

Good luck with that.

He's Canadian. It's not only possible, it's a fact of life.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I don’t know if it’s still this way but years ago whenever I got some hps they came preinstalled with a lot more garbage apps then dells. I’m talking back like when windows 7 just came out.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

guppy posted:

I've worked with both and I preferred Dell's build quality and serviceability.

Me too. I prefer Dells pretty much across the board. Not to mention that warrant support is way easier with Dell when something does break.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Darchangel posted:

This is part of the reason I never want to deal with Execs and VIPs. I just *know* I'm going to be too blunt/honest/not gargling their cock enough.

Execs are notoriously thin-skinned superior royalty.
They aren't royalty. They weren't born into the position. They worked their way into it by dealing a large number of people just like you.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

adorai posted:

They aren't royalty. They weren't born into the position. They worked their way into it by dealing a large number of people just like you.

Or at one company I was at about twenty years ago, were the children of the founder who were the textbook example of assumed privilege and treated everybody that actually worked like dogshit. If you tried to be nice or pleasant to them, they thought you were weak and would schedule you for the worst loving shifts. I quit before I was put in a position that I would be arrested for assault and battery to the VP of Technology.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The Nastier Nate posted:

I don’t know if it’s still this way but years ago whenever I got some hps they came preinstalled with a lot more garbage apps then dells. I’m talking back like when windows 7 just came out.

Probably the same but I just reimage them immediately.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Or at one company I was at about twenty years ago, were the children of the founder who were the textbook example of assumed privilege and treated everybody that actually worked like dogshit. If you tried to be nice or pleasant to them, they thought you were weak and would schedule you for the worst loving shifts. I quit before I was put in a position that I would be arrested for assault and battery to the VP of Technology.

You have qualified your statement with one time, a long time ago. They weren't just VPs, they were the owners kids.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

adorai posted:

This is naive as gently caress. Especially when a company starts getting big.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

This is naive as gently caress. Especially when a company starts getting big.

Are you saying that in a large company they were born into it? That they did not work their way into the position?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

adorai posted:

Are you saying that in a large company they were born into it? That they did not work their way into the position?

Very few of them have worked their way up from the run of the mill employee. Very few even did token work at that level before being brought up to executive positions. That's simply not how things work, and in a large enterprise it almost shouldn't work that way.

There are scenarios with more executives than others, like how certain financial businesses have the majority of staff nominally a high level exec for legal reasons. But that's not exactly typical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

There are scenarios with more executives than others, like how certain financial businesses have the majority of staff nominally a high level exec for legal reasons. But that's not exactly typical.
I am referring only to C-level executives. I do not believe they were generally born with a silver spoon in their mouths. At least not in my experience.