Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

KingKapalone posted:

The game is also balanced around not knowing what's behind the door.

No it is not. Otherwise the scenario book would be laid out extremely differently and you would not be able to repeat scenarios. This whole "you can't see the next room" is entirely an invention on your part. I don't begrudge you for playing that way but the rulebook doesn't support you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Kashuno posted:

Oh my god this is still going. Let’s talk about literally anything else than loving doors.

What is your favorite class and why?

Talking about a game's design in its thread is what this forum is for!

Fave class? Cragheart obstacle build is super loving cool, as everyone will say. Three spears is super cool but also unbalanced and I wish it was more balanced (nerf its big damage attacks and have a baked-in assumption that it's turning every attack into a multitarget or adding wound or using a power potion or using goggles. Because it is, every turn. Also take away its infinite combo.). But Lightning Bolt was my favorite so far. That class felt so, so good once I figured out how to make it gel. Those three classes use the idea of taking a mechanic that everyone has access to and making it core to the class and also awesome.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Kashuno posted:

Oh my god this is still going. Let’s talk about literally anything else than loving doors.

What is your favorite class and why?

I am loving my spellweaver (we haven't unlocked any other classes yet though). About twice per scenario she just deletes half a room. A few times we've gone from "Well, we're hosed" to "Wait, we may actually do this" after a big Impaling Eruption + Goggles + Crackling Air combo kills the big scary things

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Kaza42 posted:

I am loving my spellweaver (we haven't unlocked any other classes yet though). About twice per scenario she just deletes half a room. A few times we've gone from "Well, we're hosed" to "Wait, we may actually do this" after a big Impaling Eruption + Goggles + Crackling Air combo kills the big scary things

Look at this guy running crackling air

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
Favorite Starter Class: Spellweaver I really enjoy the clever twist on the loss card mechanics that work around the "loss" card restrictions with Reviving Ether. Also their ability to just have insane moves like Impaling Eruption or the Move 8 Jump.

Favorite Unlocked Class: Three Spears This class is just so much fun! Definitely imbalanced but I found the whole class exhilarating after level 6's Catastrophic Bomb. Obviously it has infinite issues with Stamina Potions, but I relished the game breaking aspect of this class.

Class I most want to play: Triforce

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
Really liking Spellweaver. Cards get seriously crazy with the later gear and the solo reward. You won't hit the single target highs that others can achieve but accept no other class when absolutely *everything* has to die.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I ride bikes all day posted:

Was anyone else not aware that the game was balanced around a 3rd party app that didn't exist when the game was balanced?

Iunno, we played that way from day 1 and never considered that you could play otherwise. We'd cover the map with a piece of paper until we got into a habit of just looking away.

Of the classes I haven't played, definitely Cragheart. The way it manipulates obstacles is the most unique class feature I've seen in any class-based game, and it has some fun cards like the one that moves six tiles in a straight line or the melee attack that hits two enemies on the opposite side from each other. Our Cragheart player liked to act out how he was throwing a bush across the room and how the impact knocked out two enemies, or doing the ol' cartoon double hammer arm.

I've played Mindthief, Saw, Music Note and Cthulhu Face myself. Saw didn't really gel with my playstyle and I drew a super easy retirement goal, so I benched it after a single session and never gave it a fair shot. Loved the concept, though. I don't know if I can pick a favorite among the other three because they're all amazing, in very different ways.

Mindthief is a blast to play because she's a squishy melee attacker that will never take a hit if she doesn't want to. In the 15-ish scenarios I played, I only exhausted in scenario 1 and the one TPK we experienced. You've got the two-turn stun combo to just unload a shitload of melee damage on a target that can't fight back, and Scurry plus basically any move action, or using a bad initiative card to jump into the fray after the enemy actions have been resolved, followed by a high initiative action next round in the rare case there's still enemies alive. I also loved using Silent Scream to lump up a bunch of enemies and blowing up the room with Cranium Overload, but I only got to use that combo a couple times before retirement. I've had several games where another player went "You do how many things in one turn? Let me see those cards," in disbelief.

Music Note took a while to get going, but I'm assuming you've seen what it can do if you're reading this. For a while my main boon was giving ranged retaliation to my party through a period where every scenario we played seemed to contain Fire Demons, which was very appreciated. Then I unlocked Disorienting Dirge which is basically just broken if your party has a couple summons and knows to position themselves in a way that lets you curse 4+ enemies whenever you use it. Towards the end, I'd vastly outleveled my party and stocked up on a couple good attack cards, supplemented by some prosperity and random unlock items, and she'd hit like a truck when my party wasn't in need of support thanks to her insane modifier deck. And that's without even mentioning getting to disarm and eventually stun half the room if anyone needed a breather. She was definitely party MVP for most of her career, and the party was sad to see her go.

Cthulhu Face I'm still getting a feel for, since I've only played it for two sessions and the first one was in a scenario for which it was woefully unsuited. I love the Harrower race, and as soon as I'd read Races of Gloomhaven I decided that the Cthulhu Face must be the one to hold one. I was very happy to draw a quest that unlocked it and had built it up a lot in my head. It turned out to be everything I wanted it to be, and I love that it gets poo poo like a healing move called Rot Maggots. I make sure to tell my party I throw maggots at them to close their wounds when I use it. I'm still getting a feel for playing a slower class and I see that its nastiest cards are a couple levels away, but I loaded my modifier deck with all the rolling debuffs and I'm mostly just flinging poison and curses and the occasionally lucky immobilize/stun at groups of enemies and I love it. Plus, you get a card that gives permanent flight, and even though I haven't got much real use out of it yet, I love zooming over traps, obstacles and enemies without a care I ended up naming them Legion, but I feel like there's still time to come up with a better name.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 18, 2018

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

ShaneB posted:

I'm actually probably dropping it this level (just hit 4). The brute's wind generation has made crackling air pretty good, but it's hard to use well

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Favorite starter: Cragheart. It is just so versatile. Lots of durability, lots of AOE damage and effects, even some healing and utility skills.

Favorite unlock: Cthulhu face. Oh my god. All the curses. Poison, damage, off-the-wall abilities. AND DID I MENTION ALL THE loving CURSES.

Interestingly, the same player in our group (not me) ended up with both of these characters.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Kaza42 posted:

I'm actually probably dropping it this level (just hit 4). The brute's wind generation has made crackling air pretty good, but it's hard to use well

What's wrong with Crackling Air? In 2p, it's been the only way our Spellweaver has felt productive at all.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

What's wrong with Crackling Air? In 2p, it's been the only way our Spellweaver has felt productive at all.

It's entirely based on someone else setting it up, because Ride the Wind isn't good.

I play 2P with a Cragheart. Right now my modifier deck is incredibly lean and I AOE poo poo to death as much as possible.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Wind is a terrible element to try and spend, because almost nothing produces it.

My favorite class is Eclipse: Executing ELITES is patently unfair and I love my stupid edgelord Rogue all the more for it. My group's gameplan now is "if someone can make an element for me, I'll kill this elite next turn" repeated half a dozen times.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Honorable mention goes to Three Spears: I haven't gotten to play with the class, but it looks hilarious, since it can basically go infinite with potions.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008

Spellweaver: It's a good boost at the start when you need to beat shields or do extra damage but you will get items later on that do the same job or better and they won't cost you a card slot or a turn & element to set up. With only 8 cards to take, every card has to really justify a space and it will get dropped quickly for the new cards. A great early gear combo is goggles, power potion and the piercing bow. You will erase a group of high shield, low hp monsters from the map or do a severe chunk of damage to normal monsters.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The Brute makes a decent amount of incidental Wind, so if you have one of those in your party Crackling Air will be plenty usable. If you don't, you'll probably find it difficult to get full use out of it.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
The real problem with crackling air is that at best it's effectively +8 damage on a loss card, and spellweaver quickly gets many many options that straight up outclass that numerically.

I guess it's fine for the bottom if you're building a tank-weaver as a gimmick, but that's not going to be the common case.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Not my least favorite, but I would have loved Triforce more if he had more cards which had the mix & match element consumption for different effects along with some more "generate any element" options. He was the most fun in the few moments I could actually puzzle out which elements to generate for next round for cool extra utility effects like push, immobilize, poison, etc. As is, he's just kind of a chore to manage effectively.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Does anyone else play with the permadeath rule? How are you liking it?

My group implemented it because we found that losing a scenario was incredibly toothless. With permadeath, it gives us incentive to play conservatively sometimes. Though, we did houserule things so that if your character dies, you have the option to keep the same retirement quest and whatever progress you've made toward it, so that death is a setback but not a devastating one.

Admittedly, it's only come up once so far (we're all ~L4), but we've had a number of close calls, and it really increases the tension.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Cocks Cable posted:

No it is not. Otherwise the scenario book would be laid out extremely differently and you would not be able to repeat scenarios. This whole "you can't see the next room" is entirely an invention on your part. I don't begrudge you for playing that way but the rulebook doesn't support you.

I know people are sick of this conversation, but I can't let this comment slip past. I have no idea what the 1st edition rulebook says, but the 2nd edition rulebook states the following (bolded in original) on page 13:

"Note that only monsters in the starting room are placed at the beginning of a scenario. Monster standees each have a number to determine the order in which they act during the turn (see Order of Action on p. 29 for details). The standee numbers should be randomized when placed."

And on page 19, under Revealing a Room: "During any part of a character's movement, if they enter a tile with a closed door, flip the door tile to the opened side and immediately reveal the adjacent room on the other side of the door. The Scenario Book will then specify what monsters, money tokens, and special overlay tiles should be placed in the revealed room, based on the number of characters (including exhausted characters)..."

The game is designed around not knowing what monsters are behind the door (and where they are). Nor are the money tokens or other overlay tiles placed until the room is revealed by opening a door. On a replay, you might well remember, but if you're replaying you're probably either doing it because you lost the first time and the extra edge helps ensure you win the second, or you're returning to a past scenario in casual mode. Having just replayed scenario 2 in casual mode with L6 and L7 characters, I can say that it's a very different experience and your memories of playing at L1 will not be as helpful as one might think.

You paid for your game, so play however you want. But it is worth double-checking before making any claims about what is or is not in the rulebook.

I just retired Cthulhu and enjoyed it a lot. But I think Saw is my favorite of the classes I have played thus far. I'd love to see a 3P group with Saw, Sun, and Eclipse.

Falstaff posted:

Does anyone else play with the permadeath rule? How are you liking it?

My group implemented it because we found that losing a scenario was incredibly toothless. With permadeath, it gives us incentive to play conservatively sometimes. Though, we did houserule things so that if your character dies, you have the option to keep the same retirement quest and whatever progress you've made toward it, so that death is a setback but not a devastating one.

Admittedly, it's only come up once so far (we're all ~L4), but we've had a number of close calls, and it really increases the tension.

We've played a number of scenarios later on where a player voluntarily exhausting was the only reason we won. With permadeath, you'd either have to lose the scenario and repeat (which can be fun but isn't always) or sacrifice a character. I might consider it when we play through one of the minicampaigns, though.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Narsham posted:

I know people are sick of this conversation, but I can't let this comment slip past. I have no idea what the 1st edition rulebook says, but the 2nd edition rulebook states the following (bolded in original) on page 13:

"Note that only monsters in the starting room are placed at the beginning of a scenario. Monster standees each have a number to determine the order in which they act during the turn (see Order of Action on p. 29 for details). The standee numbers should be randomized when placed."

And on page 19, under Revealing a Room: "During any part of a character's movement, if they enter a tile with a closed door, flip the door tile to the opened side and immediately reveal the adjacent room on the other side of the door. The Scenario Book will then specify what monsters, money tokens, and special overlay tiles should be placed in the revealed room, based on the number of characters (including exhausted characters)..."

The game is designed around not knowing what monsters are behind the door (and where they are). Nor are the money tokens or other overlay tiles placed until the room is revealed by opening a door. On a replay, you might well remember, but if you're replaying you're probably either doing it because you lost the first time and the extra edge helps ensure you win the second, or you're returning to a past scenario in casual mode. Having just replayed scenario 2 in casual mode with L6 and L7 characters, I can say that it's a very different experience and your memories of playing at L1 will not be as helpful as one might think.

You paid for your game, so play however you want. But it is worth double-checking before making any claims about what is or is not in the rulebook.

That's quite a leap from "the book says not to put things on the board until they can act" to "the book says you're not meant to know what will be on the other side of the door".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

That's quite a leap from "the book says not to put things on the board until they can act" to "the book says you're not meant to know what will be on the other side of the door".

It's potentially poorly worded but it's the way most people interpret it and the way Isaac intended it to be interpreted.

quote:

I'm still having some confusion about what information should be known going into a new scenario.

Which of these is the recommended "correct" way to play, based around what the game is balanced for?

1) When setting up, you try not to look at what monsters/obstacles are present, only set up the first room, and then you take out the new monsters/obstacles/treasure when you open a new room.

2) You know what types of obstacles/monsters/treasure is present in the scenario, but not how many or where it could be. You reveal that when you open a room.

3) Option 2, but you know where obstacles/traps/treasures are, but you don't know how many monsters and where the monsters are.

4) You know where everything is, and how many of it there is, it's open information. You just don't physically place them until you open the room.

Isaac posted:

The intent is #2. Get out all the tiles and monsters you need based on the contents list for the scenario and then set it up as you go along.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Hot take: our group also only reads the numbered story blurbs for the first time when we specifically trigger them, even though they're directly printed on the same page as everything else.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

ShaneB posted:

I thought crackling air was amazing until I read the faq that said each individual attack on an aoe uses up a charge.

Immediately stopped using it after that.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

King of Bleh posted:

Hot take: our group also only reads the numbered story blurbs for the first time when we specifically trigger them, even though they're directly printed on the same page as everything else.

Oh yeah? Well my group reads the numbered story blocks 2-3 turns after we were supposed to because we're always so caught up in the game we forget to check.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Cthulhu Face Plus, you get a card that gives permanent flight, and even though I haven't got much real use out of it yet, I love zooming over traps, obstacles and enemies without a care I ended up naming them Legion, but I feel like there's still time to come up with a better name.

Just wait until you spend the cash monies to enhance that card.
Bless on the bottom means that I am VERY often hitting the curse limit for enemies and bless limit for allies (4p obviously)

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?
Our Spellweaver got good use out of combining Crackling Air with goggles, power potions, etc. on Impaling Eruption or Fire Orbs to just delete a pack of enemies. Usually one of us non - element users would bring along a mana potion to help set it up.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Kaza42 posted:

Oh yeah? Well my group reads the numbered story blocks 2-3 turns after we were supposed to because we're always so caught up in the game we forget to check.

Same.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Just did a scenario that really showed up the difference between knowing the rest of the map in advance and not - scenario 47 and two-minis spoiler:

Two rooms, when you open the door to room 2 with the boss, everyone in room 1 takes 7 damage per round forever. The beast tyrant was still on the starting space - so they were pretty much doomed at that point.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
More two minis spoilers: if there's ever a time to use the bottom half of Disorienting Roar...

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Kaza42 posted:

:same:

If not after the scenario's done. We recently started actually using the numbered/lettered tokens, because we were so bad about it, and they help a ton.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Gonna have our second GH night on Sunday, I'm super stoked and really really looking forward to it!

One thing that I wanted to ask the thread is, so like, I'm really into gimmicks. The gimmickier something is (I guess more idiosyncratic?) the more I'm into it. If there's some really crazy gimmick comes up (some legacy element probably) and someone else gets it, I'm probably gonna be bitter. (I mean not actually, and will just enjoy it existing but y'know, I'll wish it had been me). I know you can't really influence what you have available to you much, but, given this info, without giving anything away, would you say there are any classes that I should aim for, or, anything I should be doing that at some point down the line will give me access to something gimmicky?

Totally realise this is a super gauche question, but, y'know.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

!Klams posted:

I know you can't really influence what you have available to you much, but, given this info, without giving anything away, would you say there are any classes that I should aim for, or, anything I should be doing that at some point down the line will give me access to something gimmicky?

Lots of classes have their own special mechanics, in the same way that the Mindthief has augments or the Cragheart has obstacle creation / manipulation. Some of them can be pretty straightforward (eg the Brute), some are a bit more unique (eg there's a class known as Two Minis that has two miniatures).

As for other stuff, if you get a chance to do Personal Quest 510 I'd take it, even if the class has already been unlocked.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 19, 2018

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
if you want to do a weird gimmick for fun you could play angry face and never move, only get to different places using the doom card that lets you place a doom token on an enemy and teleport to them when they die. That would be funny

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

!Klams posted:

Gonna have our second GH night on Sunday, I'm super stoked and really really looking forward to it!

One thing that I wanted to ask the thread is, so like, I'm really into gimmicks. The gimmickier something is (I guess more idiosyncratic?) the more I'm into it. If there's some really crazy gimmick comes up (some legacy element probably) and someone else gets it, I'm probably gonna be bitter. (I mean not actually, and will just enjoy it existing but y'know, I'll wish it had been me). I know you can't really influence what you have available to you much, but, given this info, without giving anything away, would you say there are any classes that I should aim for, or, anything I should be doing that at some point down the line will give me access to something gimmicky?

Lightning bolts has two gimmicks. One is a semi-suicidal play pattern that can be emphasized but you basically blow your load killing exactly 2 things and then die. It does work on bosses though and one shotting bosses is very fun. The other is weird because it becomes less effective the higher level you are. Many cards for this class calculate the difference between your max and current health. One ongoing card allows you to heal up to 26 health but says your max health remains based on your level. So at level one assuming you somehow heal up to 26 lets you hit harder than if you went to one HP.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Lightning bolts has two gimmicks.

Quoting this was perilous because obviously it shows everything in the spoiler tag, but luckily I remembered that would happen in advance. This is basically the best news I could hear, because my current personal quest is for lightning bolts! Thanks! Also thanks for the cryptic 510 suggestion, that is extremely what I was after! Yay! Gloomhaven!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

!Klams posted:

You can build most classes in gimmicky ways, even the starting 6. They're not as combat effective but who cares, do what's fun to you.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I haven't seen anything quite as gimmicky as an obstacle Cragheart (which also has the bonus of being supremely viable and tactically useful), but all of the unlock classes I've seen can be at least as gimmicky as the Spellweaver or Mindthief, and some of the obvious support classes have really off-the-wall damage builds. I think you're playing the right game if you wanna be weird and useful. Brute is the only really straightforward class I've seen, and that may well only be because the guy who played it likes to just tank and deal loads of damage.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Just wait until you spend the cash monies to enhance that card.
Bless on the bottom means that I am VERY often hitting the curse limit for enemies and bless limit for allies (4p obviously)

Well, (scenario 27 and Cthulhu face spoilers) the only enhancements I have so far are an added target to the two level 2 multi-target cards, because I had to spend 100g on enhancements. It was my first scenario as Plagueherald, and I didn't really manage to do very much because my party kept pulling lower initiatives and killed the targets I wanted. I can see how that is an incredibly solid enhancement, but it would also make it a tactical blunder to pop the loss action until much later in the scenario, and that is a lot of gold for a class that is as bad at looting as the Plagueherald. Hrm, this is a conundrum.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Once my party has unlocked all the classes (or beat the main quests maybe?), we'll probably start doing some dumb gimmicky builds. I for one am excited to try out that dumb melee/shield build with triforce

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
Tankweaver. Take some Retaliate and damage avoidance cards. You might want some health potions too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
I guess also "WITNESS MY ROBOT ARMY" Tinkerer could be fun, but I wish the robots were better/summons in general were better