Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Xad posted:

I guess also "WITNESS MY ROBOT ARMY" Tinkerer could be fun, but I wish the robots were better/summons in general were better

Honestly, it depends on the scenario. If you've got a big open room with some smaller rooms, or ideally a scenario that's basically one big open room the summons can do a lot of work if you position to protect them. Our curent mindthief sometimes uses one and because it uses the mindthief modifier deck it can put out a lot of damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Tiles connected by a corridor count as the same room, right? For the purposes of the Spellweaver's level 9 card Inferno, which hits everything in the same room

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Xad posted:

I guess also "WITNESS MY ROBOT ARMY" Tinkerer could be fun, but I wish the robots were better/summons in general were better

I would love to do a summon build with a Mindthief. I would just spam the card that moves an ally to keep them up with the rest of the party and just ranged stun the rest of the time.

It would suck and be hard to do without enhancements (and lmao at enhancing summons) but it would be fun for a few scenarios.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Miftan posted:

Honestly, it depends on the scenario. If you've got a big open room with some smaller rooms, or ideally a scenario that's basically one big open room the summons can do a lot of work if you position to protect them. Our curent mindthief sometimes uses one and because it uses the mindthief modifier deck it can put out a lot of damage.

Yeah, I played the Two Minis class, so I'm aware of how good summons can be. But most summons will die in one hit and just run straight at an enemy. Isn't usually worth a lost card. I would like to try a party composition based around everyone summoning as much stuff as possible and then using things like that Tinkerer card that lets you do a move w/ jump with a bunch of allied summons.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Xad posted:

Yeah, I played the Two Minis class, so I'm aware of how good summons can be. But most summons will die in one hit and just run straight at an enemy. Isn't usually worth a lost card. I would like to try a party composition based around everyone summoning as much stuff as possible and then using things like that Tinkerer card that lets you do a move w/ jump with a bunch of allied summons.

I haven't played that class, but if you're running a summon comp you 100% need Angry Face in there.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
We've had some success summon spamming with a party that contained the Music Note class as well as a couple of more obvious summoning classes. I'd suggest getting a Spellweaver in on the action, if only because she gets some decent ranged summons which have better survivability on the whole.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Three Spears is also a great summoning class if built right.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Ultiville posted:

This took me a second but is actually hilarious.

Is any summon spamming party really complete without Ubisoft?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Ultiville posted:

This is like one of the most useless spoiler tags I’ve seen. Maybe reverse that so people know if they want to click on it or not.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Don't reverse it now, though! Just remember in the future! Or we'll get a "Let's call her Lisa S. No, too obvious...how about L. Simpson" situation.

Narsham posted:

This character (class) has built around retaliate damage,

And on that point please be mindful in the future. You didn't need to specify what class the person was to get the point across. Please understand I enjoyed the discussion and enjoyed reading your input. This thread is hard to read without extracting incidental spoilers, but I sincerely appreciate the effort generally put into making discussions readable where possible. It's the only place I read about Gloomhaven because I have zero trust in redditors - hell, just trying to read Isaac's AMA I accidentally got a similar mechanics spoiler where he said that Circles class has a particular theme. I thank you and the rest of the thread for the high level of caution that lets me enjoy your strategy and conceptual discussions without spoiling any unlockable game content.

If this seems :qq: well maybe it is a bit. I respect that you didn't name the class, or detail its abilities, and you may even mean the class has those abilities in the same sense the Spellweaver does (like, sure, they're there, but I personally wouldn't consider them important to class identity). Anyway, thanks.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 19, 2018

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

My feeling was that there wasn't an ideal way to spoil that one - if you just see the class, you don't know which ongoing discussion it's related to (and someone else upthread spoiled in a similar way, which seemed reasonable to me).

I guess it's better to know if you can read it based on unlocks in any case, so I'll reverse it next time, sorry. I kinda forgot it wasn't a binary "unlocked everything" vs "starters only" situation.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
I unlocked Eclipse last session (which I immediately got to play because I'm an idiot and can't read scenarios properly).

Really happy with it, but (scenario 27 spoiler) Is it just me, or is the enhancement options on Eclipse's early cards not great?

I am looking forward to more Eclipse shenanigans. Coming off the Cragheart, I'm looking forward to playing him... actually, pretty similarly. Just Dark instead of Earth, and invisibility instead of facetanking.

OmegaGoo fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 19, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

As someone with a level 7 Eclipse, the class is a blast.

My only enhancements so far are +1 Move on Smoke Step and Prepare for the Kill.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
More Eclipse and scenario 27 spoilers! I went with +1 Attack on Prepare for the Kill, because I think I'll have enough movement elsewhere. My other enhancement is really sad, but we decided +1 Range on Doomed Breeze. I'm mad about getting 100g for enhancements after playing the class exactly once. Looking now, I may not have enough movement anywhere, so +1 move was probably the better option :(

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I don't 100% remember what my choices were there, but I'm pretty sure they were +1 move on the bottom of Prepare, and Disable on the top.

Just in general Disable is one of the strongest enhancements to give to a weak attack, and I usually re-enhance already enhanced cards when I retire instead of enhancing new ones in case someone else wants to pick up that character and give their own take on it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Sun/Eclipse/Cthulhu good lord this is trivialising. It's fun, but it's also incredibly easy to actually avoid anything scary. Mobs of mobs? Sunkeeper tanks them, Plagueherald neuters them. Big scary things? Nightshroud executes them. We're playing up and I'm still only ticking my 'watch allies exhaust' goal because we're doing scenarios where I can outlast them because we have to reach specific tiles and they can get their first and short rest themselves to death whilst I watch. Which is kind of morbid lol.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

thespaceinvader posted:

Sun/Eclipse/Cthulhu good lord this is trivialising. It's fun, but it's also incredibly easy to actually avoid anything scary. Mobs of mobs? Sunkeeper tanks them, Plagueherald neuters them. Big scary things? Nightshroud executes them. We're playing up and I'm still only ticking my 'watch allies exhaust' goal because we're doing scenarios where I can outlast them because we have to reach specific tiles and they can get their first and short rest themselves to death whilst I watch. Which is kind of morbid lol.

Quarter the number on that goal, it's ludicrously high.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Gort posted:

Quarter the number on that goal, it's ludicrously high.

For this class combo especially, I'm just going to agree with my group that i'll do three more scenarios and retire. Just hit level 9 yesterday.

I do feel like a good house rule would be simply that if you get to a certain amount of XP above level 9 (e.g. 600 say) you can just choose to take that as completion of your goal instead of whatever the goal is because some of them are stupid.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's a bizarre goal because of how little control you (as in individual) have over it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's a bizarre goal because of how little control you (as in individual) have over it.

There are some you control and some you don't.

This one is the only one I've seen thus far that necessitates failing repeatedly. I think I know of one other, which I'm guessing is for the same class.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

thespaceinvader posted:

There are some you control and some you don't.

This one is the only one I've seen thus far that necessitates failing repeatedly. I think I know of one other, which I'm guessing is for the same class.

Thankfully none of the dumb goals double up on classes. The other one for the watch your friends exhaust is donate 12 times to the Sanctuary which is fine.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You don't need to fail a scenario to have characters exhaust. That goal is definitely targeted at four player groups, though. We got that two scenarios after our very first retirements, one of which was the other one to unlock that class. :cheeky:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You don't need to fail a scenario to have characters exhaust. That goal is definitely targeted at four player groups, though. We got that two scenarios after our very first retirements, one of which was the other one to unlock that class. :cheeky:

You typically do need to be doing badly or actively pursuing the goal by dragging out the scenario though. We basically never have people exhaust unless we are losing or push for it on purpose to fulfil battle goals or quests

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

SuperKlaus posted:

And on that point please be mindful in the future. You didn't need to specify what class the person was to get the point across. Please understand I enjoyed the discussion and enjoyed reading your input. This thread is hard to read without extracting incidental spoilers, but I sincerely appreciate the effort generally put into making discussions readable where possible. It's the only place I read about Gloomhaven because I have zero trust in redditors - hell, just trying to read Isaac's AMA I accidentally got a similar mechanics spoiler where he said that Circles class has a particular theme. I thank you and the rest of the thread for the high level of caution that lets me enjoy your strategy and conceptual discussions without spoiling any unlockable game content.

If this seems :qq: well maybe it is a bit. I respect that you didn't name the class, or detail its abilities, and you may even mean the class has those abilities in the same sense the Spellweaver does (like, sure, they're there, but I personally wouldn't consider them important to class identity). Anyway, thanks.

Edited, although I thought carefully about providing that information and judged that spoiler-tagging was impractical. Spoiling the generic names of classes, as you mention, makes little sense as it's impossible to know whether what has been spoiled is a spoiler for you specifically without revealing it. (Example: my group presently has only Angry Face locked. I've been spoiled on the class name as well as its basic theme thanks to this kind of spoiler.) I felt that the information being revealed (a class has a retaliate build) wasn't unreasonable given that it's not a "standard" build for the class in question, and it was useful information for anyone reading the post who was familiar with the class and why such a build would be worth trying (as well as why it isn't typically advocated online, just like shield-focused builds generally aren't).

The alternatives are to spoiler-tag an entire discussion and list the spoilers within (hey, don't read unless you have unlocked class Z), or to spoiler-tag the class name (worse than useless), or to omit the information entirely, which means the only hint available for someone trying to figure out which class I meant would have been the pronoun usage. On Boardgamegeek, one can at least start a new thread and label the thread-specific spoilers, although people aren't always good about that and the Angry Face name got exposed to me there in a thread where I wasn't expecting to see it (I believe under a spoiler tag, but in a way that didn't tell me what was being hidden from me). In any event, specific classes lend themselves to opening doors better than others, though that's not as obvious with the starting six characters.

While on that subject, for the thread: the Brute is an obvious door opener, and the Scoundrel or Mindthief with invisibility. What other clever door-opening maneuvers are characters capable of pulling off? For example, the Gadgeteer's supposedly-useless trap cards have an obvious use when opening a door: stand in the doorway and drop a trap, and odds are good that enemies inside the room will be forced to trigger it. (You're probably stuck using a top-action trap, though.) The Cragheart can drop obstacles into a room to deal damage and also provide personal protection after door-opening. And the Lightning class sometimes wants to suffer damage, and doesn't need a special trick at all to run through a door and get clobbered. Are there any other tricks people have tried and had success with?

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Sun & doors: they open the door and walk right in. That's the trick.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

King of Bleh posted:

I was just about to post this.

Permanent Shield 2 buff, plus the ability to add more for a turn, or (if you don't mind losing a card) just ignoring all damage for a given turn. And lots of health. And probably some tank-y items.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

King of Bleh posted:

Seriously though. Sun if they're lucky they can even move far enough to get a hit in when they arrive. Or just use Bright Aegis and DGAF.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

thespaceinvader posted:

You typically do need to be doing badly or actively pursuing the goal by dragging out the scenario though. We basically never have people exhaust unless we are losing or push for it on purpose to fulfil battle goals or quests

That's really more of a playstyle thing. There's really no need to play so conservatively. If you have half your hand left when you finish the scenario, you haven't been contributing as much as you could. Obviously, it's better to play it safe, but if you can gauge roughly how many turns it'll take before you've finished the scenario, there's no reason not to burn through your hand to get there. We usually end scenarios at 1-4 health and cards, and it's common for a player or two to exhaust at the finish line, but haven't lost outside of that one side scenario that is designed to murder level 1 parties. We have a harder time with the battle goals that require you to finish at high health or with 5+ cards.

I haven't really seen any door opening strategies fancier than anything the original six can do. We usually send someone who can tank the hits, disable a group of enemies, toss down a trap/summon/invisibility to avoid focus or have enough move to duck back into the previous room.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Two minis & doors: Ask your friends very nicely to please open the door for your bear. Pout helplessly when everyone decides to leave it closed and long rest instead.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That's really more of a playstyle thing. There's really no need to play so conservatively. If you have half your hand left when you finish the scenario, you haven't been contributing as much as you could. Obviously, it's better to play it safe, but if you can gauge roughly how many turns it'll take before you've finished the scenario, there's no reason not to burn through your hand to get there. We usually end scenarios at 1-4 health and cards, and it's common for a player or two to exhaust at the finish line, but haven't lost outside of that one side scenario that is designed to murder level 1 parties. We have a harder time with the battle goals that require you to finish at high health or with 5+ cards.

We would genuinely have to play stupid or get hilariously unlucky to do that badly. That's not conservative, it's just efficient.

Maybe the last couple of scenarios have been unusually easy, but.. in general we've not ever found anything terribly difficult in this game except Scenario 72, or whatever the number of the loving oozing grove is

It's not playing conservatively, it's playing effectively, with a ludicrously effective and high level party, that has a decent chunk of cards, and rarely needs Losses with a few very specific exceptions.

But this is hugely party dependent. With a different party we would have a much easier time with this goal, but I picked it up on a guy designed to rarely if ever fall over and stop his allies ever falling over, along with allies that are invisible, and/or ranged.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

thespaceinvader posted:

We would genuinely have to play stupid or get hilariously unlucky to do that badly. That's not conservative, it's just efficient.

Well there's card efficiency and turn efficiency. Viewed a certain way, you are being over-conservative in turns, damage-avoidance, etc in order to maximize card efficiency, which is a fantastic strategy for never completing that personal quest.

It's definitely an interesting quest, since it requires a lot more explicit party cooperation toward it than most of the other ones, and the things it encourages are things a lot of people are going to have a psychological aversion to.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

thespaceinvader posted:

Maybe the last couple of scenarios have been unusually easy, but.. in general we've not ever found anything terribly difficult in this game except Scenario 72, or whatever the number of the loving oozing grove is

It's not playing conservatively, it's playing effectively, with a ludicrously effective and high level party, that has a decent chunk of cards, and rarely needs Losses with a few very specific exceptions.

How did you play the scenario? My party absolutely blitzed it on our first attempt by splitting up and taking out the first two trees before they got the chance to spawn a second Ooze. Most of our resources went to stemming the tide of monsters we'd skipped past and healing through the layers upon layers of poison, but we only had one exhaust before we took out the third tree and another by the time we finished off the Oozes our second strike team had just run away from.

I didn't read your second spoiler because I haven't seen all the classes it involves, but I can understand that some classes aren't as conducive to burning the candle at both ends, and that goal is definitely overtuned for anything below four players.

E: We did however have a player with the Sun icon class who was often party MVP when he'd wade into a cluster of melee enemies, toss down all his shield and retaliate cards to wear down the attackers, followed by playing some AoE loss cards and eventually exhausting from health loss, after taking out 10+ enemies.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 20, 2018

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

King of Bleh posted:

Well there's card efficiency and turn efficiency. Viewed a certain way, you are being over-conservative in turns, damage-avoidance, etc in order to maximize card efficiency, which is a fantastic strategy for never completing that personal quest.

We're seriously not.

We're playing the game optimally. We could play worse, but that would kind of defeat the object of playing at all. We're not going slow. We're tarrying at the end when everything's done because we have that luxury in the scenarios we're playing, because they require everyone to be in a certain location. Literally everything's dead at that point.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

How did you play the scenario? My party absolutely blitzed it on our first attempt by splitting up and taking out the first two trees before they got the chance to spawn a second Ooze. Most of our resources went to stemming the tide of monsters we'd skipped past and healing through the layers upon layers of poison, but we only had one exhaust before we took out the third tree and another by the time we finished off the Oozes our second strike team had just run away from.

I didn't read your second spoiler because I haven't seen all the classes it involves, but I can understand that some classes aren't as conducive to burning the candle at both ends, and that goal is definitely overtuned for anything below four players.

E: We did however have a player with the Sun icon class who was often party MVP when he'd wade into a cluster of melee enemies, toss down all his shield and retaliate cards to wear down the attackers, followed by playing some AoE loss cards and eventually exhausting from health loss, after taking out 10+ enemies.
We got super lucky and drew 72 spoilers drew no attacks for the Imps for the first 4 rounds, and didn't draw a split for the Oozes until the very bottom of the deck, and this was with a diferent team with relatively poor spike damage on objects, poor movement/targetting, and my Sun hadn't got his enhancement then. We were NOT well set up for the Grove, the combination of oodles of poison, oodles of multi-target, and obstacles with HP being immune to execute *ruined* us several times.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That's fair. We also had some luck and a very convenient class setup for that scenario.

What difficulty are you playing on? I know a lot of goons and BGG/reddit guide readers play on hard or very hard and score comfortable victories, but we're still mostly playing on normal, switching to hard when all four of us are comfortable with our current class setup. Part of the fun is for us is expending as many resources as possible, and it's something I'm still learning because I'm definitely the most conservative player of the bunch.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

King of Bleh posted:

Two minis & doors: Ask your friends very nicely to please open the door for your bear. Pout helplessly when everyone decides to leave it closed and long rest instead.

Nah, you just use that turn to wander around picking up all the gold they left near the start.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
My son (11) named his Cragheart "Craig" and I couldn't be more proud.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

My Cragheart was named "Dwayne." No regrets.

My Triforce was named ____Aang____, which I thought was hilarious.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
My friend (32) named his Cragheart "Craig" and I couldn't be more proud.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
The Cragheart's name is clearly Kyle, it's written on his belt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
My solo campaign characters are a Cragheart and a Brute named Rocky and Bullwinkle.

:c00l: