Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I built the MG Kampfer last year and I really liked it, I even painted it too! Putting metal screws in the joints was a fun little feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Moderoid Mazinkaiser

Overall a good build, but much like almost all non-Bandai kits, doesn't have much tolerance for parts thickened by paint, which I learned the hard way when I tried to use the right bicep swivel and twisted the male connector right off. :gonk:

Comparison shot:

God, SRC Mazinkaiser just looks so awful proportion-wise when put right next to Sentinel's take on the design.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Thirding the Kampfer Amazing as a great kit. I want even familiar with the Kampfer when I picked it up, but building it made me fall in love with the design, and now its probably my favorite non-unique Zeon design.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

TaurusOxford posted:

Moderoid Mazinkaiser

Overall a good build, but much like almost all non-Bandai kits, doesn't have much tolerance for parts thickened by paint, which I learned the hard way when I tried to use the right bicep swivel and twisted the male connector right off. :gonk:

What did you use for the gold for detailing?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

EthanSteele posted:

What did you use for the gold for detailing?

A yellow Gundam real touch marker (GM409 to be specific). Applied over the silver it became a pretty convincing gold

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Got that Lei-Dao from Frame Arms. It's alright, kinda wish you could build the frame, but I get what they were going for. Kinda funny, on this kit you swap the forearms and calves because of the extreme heels on the kit. It also has a tail thing that kinda pissed me off, because you have to fit a red vent in between two other pieces, which don't seem to fit all that well, and make the red vent loose, so of course it fell out and I almost lost it.

It's design also doesn't really lend it very well to anything but straight forward pointing with both arms.

I got it for only $20 though, so it's fine. Might have been a bit more disappointed if it was like $50.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Cool thread. Have always wanted to try building one of these.

I saw the reccomended kits in the OP but does anyone know if the RGM-79 GM is beginner friendly? I've never built a gunpla before but I've always had a soft spot for the various GMs/grunt suits.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that one isn’t too hard at all!

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Very beginner friendly, it's maybe the easiest kit I've done that isn't a SD.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Jegan's got a lot of neck mobility, but a lot of the torso twist is locked up by the armor.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

That Gobbo posted:

Very beginner friendly, it's maybe the easiest kit I've done that isn't a SD.

Good to know. I know my first attempt isn't gonna be perfect but I'm looking forward to how this turns out.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nyeehg posted:

Good to know. I know my first attempt isn't gonna be perfect but I'm looking forward to how this turns out.

You'll do fine. It's not a particularly great kit even by the standards of its day, anyway, so it not looking amazing is to be expected.

Now, when you've got some tools and a tiny bit of experience, you might want a GM/GM or even a MG GM 2.0. Much better versions of the same base design.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Or get the MG GM Command.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 18, 2018

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
New release! Glad this one is finally getting some love

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

IT'S MINE! I SAW IT FIRST! :fuckoff:

I also want that gold PetitGguy :shepspends:.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Marx Headroom posted:

New release! Glad this one is finally getting some love

It was pretty good tbh.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
"ATTENTION: This is not Gunpla" got me pretty good

Ah yes my favorite MS is KELLOG-115X Gundam CORN SNACK

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Zodack posted:

Ah yes my favorite MS is KELLOG-115X Gundam CORN SNACK

Now the next HG 1/144 RX 78-2 re-release needs the disclaimer

ATTENTION: This is not Snackfood

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AtheistMantis posted:

Now the next HG 1/144 RX 78-2 re-release needs the disclaimer

ATTENTION: This is not Snackfood

And, of course, we need a warning on the MS-07A.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Zodack posted:

That's actually the theme song (Gunpla Ja Nai)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

And, of course, we need a warning on the MS-07A.

That would make an amazing commercial.

"THIS IS NO SNACK FOOD BOY, NO SNACKFOOD"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

That would make an amazing commercial.

"THIS IS NO SNACK FOOD BOY, NO SNACKFOOD"

Excuse me, but it's CLEARLY;

"THIS IS NO SNACKU, BOY, NO SNACKU!"

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
the MG tallgeese has both waterslides and dryrubs. i assume i should do the waterslides first?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kuvo posted:

the MG tallgeese has both waterslides and dryrubs. i assume i should do the waterslides first?

doesn't really matter what order you them in. If you have two of the same decals, use waterslides. They are much easier to use.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Monaghan posted:

doesn't really matter what order you them in. If you have two of the same decals, use waterslides. They are much easier to use.

yeah but the dryrubs are better than marinades

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
If they're close enough you would probably want to do waterslides first so you don't get the dry rubs wet. But otherwise it doesn't matter too much.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Is it a special edition Tallgeese? Cause I’m like, 99% sure mine came with regular stickers and dry rubs, not water slides. Dalong seems to show stickers too.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The kit actually uses all 3 types. Foil stickers on the left (already applied), waterslides top right, dry rubs bottom right. The foils were for covering some area that they didn't bother to color separate. no clue as to why they split up the waterslides and dryrubs tho

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Are you positive the blue sheet is water slides? I have those on my model but didn’t do them as water slides.

Other Wing MGs don’t come with waterslides either.

Edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunpla/comments/391fan/i_am_an_idiot_or_how_i_learned_that_mg_tallgeese/ I knew I wasn't crazy. The Tallgeese does not come with waterslides, it comes with stickers on the blue sheet.

EVGA Longoria fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 20, 2018

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Speaking of decals it is legit bullshit that pg zaku doesn't come with waterslides or dry transfers. Just ugly, ugly, stickers.

I don't think I've ever used a sticker as a decal once. They just always look like trash to me.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

EVGA Longoria posted:

Are you positive the blue sheet is water slides? I have those on my model but didn’t do them as water slides.

Other Wing MGs don’t come with waterslides either.

Edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunpla/comments/391fan/i_am_an_idiot_or_how_i_learned_that_mg_tallgeese/ I knew I wasn't crazy. The Tallgeese does not come with waterslides, it comes with stickers on the blue sheet.

looks like im an idiot!

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Monaghan posted:

Speaking of decals it is legit bullshit that pg zaku doesn't come with waterslides or dry transfers. Just ugly, ugly, stickers.

I don't think I've ever used a sticker as a decal once. They just always look like trash to me.

The PG Wing Zero Custom didn't come with anything at all, and I'm not sure if that's better or worse.

I still use the stickers, mind - I'll take what I can get, and I think all the tiny warning labels and stuff give the model a good sense of scale - but they don't look as good as dry transfers or waterslides, for sure.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Sinanju Stein is nicer than the regular Sinanju

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Sinanju Stein is nicer than the regular Sinanju

I'm a big fan of the Sinanju Stein look, I'm glad it's getting an HG.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Man, I really dislike the NT version of the Stein.

Get rid of those sleeves, man, be confident in your look, it's a good one, don't go impersonating that red joker. The new gun owns though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh man, if you guys thought clear Gunpla were pointless, get a load of this!

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Man, I really dislike the NT version of the Stein.

Get rid of those sleeves, man, be confident in your look, it's a good one, don't go impersonating that red joker. The new gun owns though.

Yeah I was gonna say one of the things I liked about the Stein was how it didn't have any of the Sleeves stuff on it. That is a rad gun.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Monaghan posted:

I generally like metallic stickers that go beneath clear parts. Gives them a nice look and you don't have to worry about peeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You know, I'm actually surprised that Diver Nami is a figure-rise release. It looks a hell of a lot like most of the Fumina kits.