Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It has nothing to do with "relationships are inherently manipulative" and everything to do with "acting like a parent when your first priority is and always will be making a child into an effective soldier."

Misato is constantly worried that Shinji will "see through" her. This is not just generalized insecurity. She needs something from him, and that something is extremely bad for his sanity and health. Her job isn't to mentor him, it's to keep him functional enough that he'll get in the robot and cooperate. She can justify this to herself by saying it's to save the world, but Misato herself is suspicious of NERV leadership and by the end of the series has pretty much twigged to the fact that there's something else going on -- and even then, she keeps on doing things the same way.

Now, she really does also care about Shinji -- not least because she sees herself in him. But it comes second to the war against the angels every time.

The most blatant example of manipulation is her death scene in EoE. But that doesn't just come out of nowhere -- it's a more extreme version of their relationship up until that point. She's protecting him (from being assassinated by soldiers, from witnessing her own death, etc.) but she's also pushing him into the machine that ends the world in the hope that he'll take out a few of their enemies along the way, and using some really messed up psychological methods to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
She is a way better parent than commanding officer.

If that is how she was trying to manipulate him she wasn’t trying very hard.

Also I don’t think she was trying to get him to take down a few enemies as that would serve no purpose, she is telling him to fight back because if he doesn’t he dies.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 19, 2018

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

She is a way better parent than commanding officer.

If that is how she was trying to manipulate him she wasn’t trying very hard.

She stuck her tongue down his throat! She said "we'll do the rest when you come back" when she was very aware that she was dead in minutes. That's not being a very good parent.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SHISHKABOB posted:

She stuck her tongue down his throat! She said "we'll do the rest when you come back" when she was very aware that she was dead in minutes. That's not being a very good parent.

Reassuring a kid is something Parents do.

Also Tom Brady kisses his kids.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

Reassuring a kid is something Parents do.

Also Tom Brady kisses his kids.

Ok I guess we disagree on what a good parent is.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't remember exactly how the conversation goes but when I get home I'll go dig up the scene where she talks to him after the first time he refuses to pilot, I think it will be illuminating.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

Ok I guess we disagree on what a good parent is.

How many super bowl rings do you have,

Checkmate.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

TV Eva has Gendo act coldly and selfishly towards his son, but ultimately reveals that he himself is insecure and desperate to be loved.
One thing I've been wondering lately, is if the mask of cold contempt isn't partially due to him feeling Yui chose Shinji over him, chose to remain in the Eva to protect her son/humanity.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Its stated multiple times, explicitly by the characters involved, that Misato is using Shinji (and all of Nerv) to get revenge for her father's death.

Misato is a lovely parent that tries her best and is actually hyper competent at her job. She appears fast and loose but is extremely good at her job.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I don't know if Charlesthehammer is trolling or if he truly only comprehends media at a surface level, but either way y'all are making hella good posts in response and I wish this thread sustained that sort of discussion more regularly.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

jit bull transpile posted:

I don't know if Charlesthehammer is trolling or if he truly only comprehends media at a surface level, but either way y'all are making hella good posts in response and I wish this thread sustained that sort of discussion more regularly.

Nothing I said is wrong so I think I comprehend fairly well. Like nothing I said is surface level but buzzwords are fun to use I guess.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 20, 2018

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

No at this point you're either severely unable to comprehend what people are posting or being extremely willingly obtuse.

But you are Charlesthehammer so it could be both.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

RevolverDivider posted:

No at this point you're either severely unable to comprehend what people are posting or being extremely willingly obtuse.

But you are Charlesthehammer so it could be both.

I comprehending fine thanks. I guess if you can’t really debate something got to go personal.

Like I get their arguments I just don’t really agree.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm not sure you're quite getting any of the arguments being made here either tbh. Going back to the beginning of this discussion for example...

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol nah. Though the rebuilds don’t really comment on much of anything really.

I think this is more a case of fans reading what they want into something
We have this post from you.

I'll ask you this, with that post in mind: What do you find the artistic purpose of 2.22's ending giving an alternative version of the events of episode 19 of the original series and the existence of 3.33 to be?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don’t really think there is a specific artistic intent to make something different. It seems more of reaction to the fact that people complained that the movies felt like the the TV series but condensed.

I don’t really feel like two changed it enough to really address those complaints.

Three does seem to have the message that you can’t just do the same thing over and over and you got to move on both in story for Shinji and the fan base in general as Anno has said that exact thing before but I guess you could call that surface level or whatever as it’s literally the title and not exactly subtle.

I am also not sure what argument I’m not getting.

What is this mythical argument I’m not getting

Edit though if your point is that post was hyperbolic then fair enough I guess.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 20, 2018

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I liked it when Gendo said "Good work, Shinji" after Sahaquiel/Space Bomb Angel :unsmith:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

thinking bout thos rebuilds

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

CharlestheHammer posted:

Gendo isn’t hostile he is indifferent that is a huge difference.

Plus Misato being imperfect is a far cry from hostile.

Who among us is perfect.

So like I said just one classmate really briefly and Asuka a far cry from everyone

denying a child love or making your emotional support contingent on them doing what you want is a hostile act, even if you don't yell at them

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't remember exactly how the conversation goes but when I get home I'll go dig up the scene where she talks to him after the first time he refuses to pilot, I think it will be illuminating.

that's the type of scene i very much have in mind

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/1020147410410995713

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

doubt it

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
wild to think that more time will separate rebuild 1.0 and 3.0+1.0 than separated the end of the tv show and the start of rebuild

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
in the year 2525
forum posters keep hope alive
waiting around for anno-san
to just release that last movie, man

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

denying a child love or making your emotional support contingent on them doing what you want is a hostile act, even if you don't yell at them

that's the type of scene i very much have in mind

Yeah, Misato straight up slaps Shinji and yells at him for doing what she wants him to do, but for the "wrong" reason.

Re: Gendo not being hostile, holy moly, that is 90% of his character. If there is a problem of definition here then maybe "abusive" would be better. When Shinji calls him on the emergency line that is for the exact situation they are in he says to not call again and tells Fuyutski to cancel the line and change the number.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iAU84Bd_zI

:unsmith:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Take that, blood sea!

EDIT: Alternately:
We must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

video is already pulled for copyright :smith:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Tythas posted:

video is already pulled for copyright :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaeuPJnKgQ8

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

like we talk about all the hosed up stuff in Shinji's life all the time but jesus christ let's consider for a moment what it must be like to be raised by a man who cloned you from his dead wife and cares for you primarily as a proxy for her

i want a Rei-centric take on Evangelion so bad

It's always been kind of interesting to me how little Rei being a clone of Yui actually means on a personal level.

I mean yeah it means lots of stuff in terms of TechnoMagic Bullshit, but in terms of stuff that actually matters, Rei really isn't that close to Yui at all IMO

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

heres a link that probably wont get pulled since its not on youtube https://streamable.com/g44lq

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

In Training posted:

heres a link that probably wont get pulled since its not on youtube https://streamable.com/g44lq

I’m glad Platinum Games is finally making movies

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:effort:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's always been kind of interesting to me how little Rei being a clone of Yui actually means on a personal level.

I mean yeah it means lots of stuff in terms of TechnoMagic Bullshit, but in terms of stuff that actually matters, Rei really isn't that close to Yui at all IMO

I think it's because she doesn't have Yui's soul. She has Lilith's soul.

Yui's soul is in Unit 01.

[edit] Somewhere in the Eva universe there's a yahoo question posted "is it incest if it's a clone of your mom but she has someone elses soul? reply quickly!"

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
i want to believe they will meet the release date

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
What's your guys' favorite reductive one-liner description of Evangelion? I think mine is "a show about the psychological brutalization of child soldiers fighting for an apocalypse cult."

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

What's your guys' favorite reductive one-liner description of Evangelion? I think mine is "a show about the psychological brutalization of child soldiers fighting for an apocalypse cult."

"it is a response to stereotypical action shows where stoic violence solves all problems in cartoon form"

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
what was the time gap between the airing and disc release of the previous rebuilds? i know 3 had a redub. if this is true, 2022 is reasonable, right

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

it was about ~1.5 to 2 years in between theatrical release and home release

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PenguinKnight posted:

it was about ~1.5 to 2 years in between theatrical release and home release

In the US we had to wait. Japan got their discs in April after the November theatrical release. Hopefully the dub doesn't get botched this time around.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...Something that just occurred to me.

Have we ever seen Kiel in person in Rebuild? Or has it always just been his Spooky SEELE Monolith? Would a theoretical fresh Rebuild viewer have anyway of knowing that that's his mask Gendo wears in 3.0 without having the context of the original show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Something that just occurred to me.

Have we ever seen Kiel in person in Rebuild? Or has it always just been his Spooky SEELE Monolith? Would a theoretical fresh Rebuild viewer have anyway of knowing that that's his mask Gendo wears in 3.0 without having the context of the original show?

he does not appear physically, no. Then again, it's mot like the Rebuilds, and especially not 3.0, were ever intended to be truly consumed in a vacuum - they are absolutely a response to the original series and are best understood in that context.