Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm not allowed to share the actual story but I have a piece of advice for white belts (or in fact anyone). If you are mad at your instructor because he doesn't let you do something against the rules, please don't try to physically intimidate your instructor. It's loltastic. We've seen you roll/strike. Your instructor is not scared. His job is literally to teach people how to apply force to resisting opponents. The only reason that you are not hurt is because we can't take your threats seriously at all.

Just because BJJ is informal and laid back doesn't mean you can do whatever the gently caress you want during class and treat the instructor like a fellow white belt.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Yuns posted:

I'm not allowed to share the actual story but I have a piece of advice for white belts (or in fact anyone). If you are mad at your instructor because he doesn't let you do something against the rules, please don't try to physically intimidate your instructor. It's loltastic. We've seen you roll/strike. Your instructor is not scared. His job is literally to teach people how to apply force to resisting opponents. The only reason that you are not hurt is because we can't take your threats seriously at all.

Just because BJJ is informal and laid back doesn't mean you can do whatever the gently caress you want during class and treat the instructor like a fellow white belt.

Had this happen a few months ago, some white belt dude from Brazil was visiting. He got really salty when one of our other white belts straight ankle locked him, and when he was informed we allowed that and he should cool down he got real salty at our coach, who just laughed him off and kicked him off the mat and told him to come back when he can be a cool dude again. What the guy didn't know, and what should have made him cool down immediately if he had any sense was when he started mouthing off and literally everyone stopped rolling and just stared at him waiting for him to do the dumb.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Yeah that poo poo won't last long

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Yuns posted:

How anyone who has rolled even one or two times with even a crappy blue belt thinks this is a good idea is beyond me.

I would hate (secretly love) to see my old instructor, 250 lb black belt, trained in Thailand, multiple amateur MMA bouts, go HAM on someone.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

spandexcajun posted:

How anyone who has rolled even one or two times with even a crappy blue belt thinks this is a good idea is beyond me.

I would hate (secretly love) to see my old instructor, 250 lb black belt, trained in Thailand, multiple amateur MMA bouts, go HAM on someone.
The only reason no one went HAM on this person was that their threats and posturing were so laughable, like a kitten hissing at a battle scarred pitbull.

I think the dude was just used to acting like a tough guy outside the gym and forgot that he was in a place where literally everyone there could beat him down easily. (Let alone the loving multi-degree black belt instructor.)

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I can't imagine mouthing off to either of my professors. One is 50 and 155 and is a 3rd degree BB and would gently caress me up, the other is mid-30s, 190 and would gently caress me up. Rolling with the younger dude literally makes me feel like a small child. I can't do anything he doesn't want me to, and he can submit me going about 2%, maybe 3% max.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
What was the rule in question, if that wouldn't be too incriminating?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Nestharken posted:

What was the rule in question, if that wouldn't be too incriminating?

Probably heel hooking as a white belt.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

EDITED OUT.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 25, 2018

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
I had a response typed out for the edited post, sorry about that. :X

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Sorry. Too easy to identify the parties so I deleted it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i can't even fathom being that retarded. is he not getting crushed by literally every blue belt he rolls with?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
In the last week I've only had around 3-4 hours sleep each night. Today I rolled with a guy who hasn't submitted me / been submitted by me for months, I'm pretty level with him. He just submitted me over and over, probably 6 times in 10 minutes.

This poo poo makes a difference.

Just writing this to remind me to get more sleep.

starkebn fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 25, 2018

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I wonder if it’s more about physical tiredness or more about impaired reasoning ability?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I wonder if it’s more about physical tiredness or more about impaired reasoning ability?

10/90

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Danaher Back Attacks is out, btw

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

definitely this, I was thinking "I need to worry about getting triangled" then seconds later I would get triangled without doing anything

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

There’s an amazing video of a world class BJJer and multiple time Abu Dhabi winner getting accosted by a drunk guy at a restaurant. Drunk guy ends up looking like a little kid trying to fight his dad despite probably having 100 pounds on the grappler. I don’t think he’s even breathing heavy by the time the cops show up

I’ll post it when I find it again.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Matt Serra yeah? Good patter

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It's either matt serra or ryan hall

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Yup, Ryan Hall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JUXrGxoS8I

Jesus christ why would someone pick a fight with Serra of all people? Ryan Hall looks like a regular small, skinny dude. Serra looks as wide as he is tall.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Jesus christ why would someone pick a fight with Serra of all people? Ryan Hall looks like a regular small, skinny dude. Serra looks as wide as he is tall.
Here is an Onion article that pretty much explains it:

https://www.theonion.com/report-average-male-4-000-less-effective-in-fights-th-1819576624

There are some guys who will pick irrational fights especially when they've been drinking. Some of our black belts are not just skilled grapplers but just look like complete savages even if you didn't know anything about their fighting skills and yet dumbasses will start poo poo with them.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Ryan Hall is a beast

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Yup, Ryan Hall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JUXrGxoS8I

No but you see BJJ and MMA are sports not real fighting styles. They would be completely unprepared if I tried to gouge their eyes or kick them in the balls. Also I am dumb as gently caress.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Who would you guys want to do a one hour training session? For me it would be Ryan Hall and Demian Maia. Roger Gracie too

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Robson Moura I suppose

I mean, I am kinda cheating since it's actually likely it may happen if I train long enough

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 25, 2018

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yuns posted:

Here is an Onion article that pretty much explains it:

https://www.theonion.com/report-average-male-4-000-less-effective-in-fights-th-1819576624

There are some guys who will pick irrational fights especially when they've been drinking. Some of our black belts are not just skilled grapplers but just look like complete savages even if you didn't know anything about their fighting skills and yet dumbasses will start poo poo with them.

One of our instructors - a grizzled multi-degree black belt - mused the other day that "street fights are easy but dangerous; cage fights are hard but way safer."

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CommonShore posted:

One of our instructors - a grizzled multi-degree black belt - mused the other day that "street fights are easy but dangerous; cage fights are hard but way safer."

I liked Seanbaby's summary that anyone who claims to have been in more than three streetfights and isnt stabbed is lying

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 25, 2018

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

spb posted:

Who would you guys want to do a one hour training session? For me it would be Ryan Hall and Demian Maia. Roger Gracie too

Erik Paulson

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

spb posted:

Jean Jacques or Marcelo, for me.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mendes Bros for me. There was a free one down at Atos with Galvao recently but it filled up lightning fast, and Im willing to bet the Atos guys had first call.

TheTofuShop posted:

Jean Jacques

I recently went to a seminar of his. Picked up some really good concepts and little things that help the basics like posture, back attacks and defending the back.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

CommonShore posted:

Anyone have suggestions for where I should go for a Vancouver drop-in?

e. I'm staying near the Gracie Barra, but I've been instructed by my girlfriend that I should do no-gi class so I don't have to jam a gi into my luggage when I'm already packing for a wedding.

I liked Burnaby Bjj when I was in the area. Looks like they have no-gi on Mondays.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

spb posted:

Do they have to be alive? If not it'd definitely be Oswaldo Fadda.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No but you see BJJ and MMA are sports not real fighting styles. They would be completely unprepared if I tried to gouge their eyes or kick them in the balls. Also I am dumb as gently caress.

I used to do TKD (my first martial art) with a former Olympian, so we were focused mostly on just fighting, though in any TMA school you need the hobbyists and kids to pay the bills. One of the other guys there, M also did BJJ so we would usually roll after doing TKD sparring, though there were a lot of the hobbist or "self defense" TKD types there too. I never had the flexibility to be a black belt where things requiring insane flexibility like Andy Hug style drop kicks are basically a requirement to be competitive, but it was fun, and I learned a few counters that can surprise more conventional kickboxers.

I mentioned that BJJ is a really useful thing for someone who already is good at TKD, because throwing high kicks and the way distance management works in sport TKD makes you very vulnerable to takedowns. I remember one of the dudes, a more "senior" TKD black belts than me or M (though in no way actually a better fighter than us, he was one of those guys who did all the Katas forever), was telling us pretty much this unironically, with a dash of "I wouldn't let someone take me down." I was like brother anyone gets close enough to grab or shoot on you every time you spar, and you've never even practiced a single sprawl in your life.

A few months later we actually started doing hapkido which is basically TKD + Judo and I just kept endlessly hip tossing him until he finally broke down and admitted that maybe he should learn actual takedown defense beyond "not letting me". That was fun.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

A few months later we actually started doing hapkido which is basically TKD + Judo and I just kept endlessly hip tossing him until he finally broke down and admitted that maybe he should learn actual takedown defense beyond "not letting me". That was fun.

Yeah I did Hapkido all through my teenage years and got up to Blue Belt and it is what made me consider BJJ since I ended up enjoying rolling a lot more than sparring.

It's funny because even when doing big spinny kicks and poo poo the instructor was like "never try this in a real fight, just clinch the guy and take him down"

One of my favorite things is to go back and find articles and columns from black belt magazine post UFC 1-2 with salty guys talking about how to stop the "gracie tackle" with spinning elbows and poo poo

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Danaher Back Attacks is out, btw

Got this and its really good

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

aw man today was my first day going through bow and arrow chokes

those things loving suck

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
On the bright side now you can defend armbars with 100% efficacy

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

aw man today was my first day going through bow and arrow chokes

those things loving suck

yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone here play Shin to Shin and have recommendations for Gi and No Gi Shin to Shin? I've kinda fallen in love with the position, but a lot of what I can find for No Gi shin to shin is Single Leg X Entries.