Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Gonz posted:

I enjoyed the neat little callback regarding the White Widow's mother:

Woah i had no idea it was supposed to be Max's daughter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
MI outstripped Bourne because the action has always been shot better.

MI2 had literal Woo gunfights and Tom Cruise does a great Gun Face, also has Wushu style fighting moves which is fun if a little floaty
MI3 is very decent, a little bit too much grit and edge but ultimately is good
MI4 is good and you can follow everything, lacks a little impact but is very good
MI5 is great and you can follow everything, has great impact
going to see MI6 tonight but the previews and director shows me it's going to be a lot like 5

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The MI series also stands apart by being one of the few franchises that has honest to god setpieces, that arent just built around masses of cgi actors slamming into each other. Ghost Protocol was on FX the other night, and it really can’t be said enough how dope the parking garage sequence at the end is.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Hard to compare Bourne to Mission Impossible, Bourne was always a very personal story with smaller stakes. No world ending plots or massive action set pieces. In Bourne some of the more compelling stuff is all the machinations of the Treadstone people and their various plots, Mission Impossible is about setting up a premise and just letting Cruise go hog wild with action and stunts.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think it helps that Cruise has really made an effort to keep himself in prime physical shape despite getting up to 60 and is actually athletic alongside Keanu, even though I laugh about how he in some pics ends up looking like a middle aged lesbian

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gatts posted:

I think it helps that Cruise has really made an effort to keep himself in prime physical shape despite getting up to 60 and is actually athletic alongside Keanu, even though I laugh about how he in some pics ends up looking like a middle aged lesbian

As much as I love Keanu, it's probably time for him to go back to a shorter hairstyle. It's not really working for him anymore imo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

Hard to compare Bourne to Mission Impossible, Bourne was always a very personal story with smaller stakes. No world ending plots or massive action set pieces. In Bourne some of the more compelling stuff is all the machinations of the Treadstone people and their various plots, Mission Impossible is about setting up a premise and just letting Cruise go hog wild with action and stunts.

Absolutely, I'm just talking about the fights and gunplay.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Fart City posted:

The MI series also stands apart by being one of the few franchises that has honest to god setpieces, that arent just built around masses of cgi actors slamming into each other. Ghost Protocol was on FX the other night, and it really can’t be said enough how dope the parking garage sequence at the end is.

I really like that each entry is visually distinct. The fact that they let a new director just run wild with their own style in each film keeps it fresh. I was a little worried that bringing back McQuarrie for Fallout would make it feel too same-y, but even though it's very much a direct sequel to Rogue Nation it absolutely stands on its own.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Basebf555 posted:

Yeah, I preferred Bourne because it doesn't rely on magic gadgetry and has lots of cool commonsense stuff like Bourne knocking out a goon and taking his earpiece so he can keep tabs on other pursuers. Plus I love all the fight scenes, shakycam or no. They're still a tad bit schlocky but are really enjoyable. I saw the trailer for the newest one and could tell they were totally out of ideas. MI has managed to stay fresh and I think the varied directors and larger scale is a big part of that.

It should be noted that The Bourne Legacy or whatever with Jeremy Renner is not included in my love of the series because lol. The Bourne trilogy is damned great, but I leave it there.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

Gatts posted:

His character is supposed to be in his 50s too. I like how explicit they made his fallibility in this film. He barely stays alive through wits and sheer force of will, and the moments in the movie where plot armour kicks in it still manages to make it feel like he really just won the roll of the dice.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Great Enoch posted:

His character is supposed to be in his 50s too. I like how explicit they made his fallibility in this film. He barely stays alive through wits and sheer force of will, and the moments in the movie where plot armour kicks in it still manages to make it feel like he really just won the roll of the dice.

I like that Tom Cruise has leaned into his age and size in Jack Reacher and the later Mission: Impossible films.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I loved the part in the first Jack Reacher where he hosed the guy up ("you wanted this") and then was like "it's ok, it's alright, it's ok" and then kicked him in the balls. I was cacklin'

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The first Jack Reacher is legit underrated.

Werner Herzog as the puppet master villain? C’mon!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Great Enoch posted:

Also in Rogue Nation he basically drowns getting the security protocols changed for Benjy. He gets the job done, but he literally dies and has to be brought back by Ferguson. And even before that, in Ghost Protocol, he's already like "wait, seriously I have to scale this building? Isn't there a younger guy we can find to do this? Well poo poo." So yea they've done a great job of doing the whole aging action hero thing without really sacrificing any of the actual action. I'd say they've done much better job of that than the Die Hard sequels ever did.

The Jack Reacher sequel was poo poo but the one thing I loved was the ending, where Reacher is just like gently caress it we're both going off this roof lets see who survives it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fart City posted:

You gotta eat your own fingers! And his little speech about it! It's good

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Yeah, I preferred Bourne because it doesn't rely on magic gadgetry and has lots of cool commonsense stuff like Bourne knocking out a goon and taking his earpiece so he can keep tabs on other pursuers. Plus I love all the fight scenes, shakycam or no. They're still a tad bit schlocky but are really enjoyable. I saw the trailer for the newest one and could tell they were totally out of ideas. MI has managed to stay fresh and I think the varied directors and larger scale is a big part of that.

It should be noted that The Bourne Legacy or whatever with Jeremy Renner is not included in my love of the series because lol. The Bourne trilogy is damned great, but I leave it there.

I like the first 3 Bourne movies overall, but the shaky cam got downright STUPID in some scenes. Like at one point you have two people sitting down having a quiet conversation indoors... and the camera is just oscillating for some loving reason? Just get the gently caress out with that poo poo.

Fart City posted:

:agreed:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Fallout was the best in the series. Saw it in the new AMC Dolby Atmos theater and holy fuckin poo poo. I want a 7th and it has the dudes from The Raid in it.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Gonz posted:

I enjoyed the neat little callback regarding the White Widow's mother:

I picked that up too! Thought it was great. I could tell right from the start that they had setup the Dilbruck guy with the fake hospital, but I didn't mind it because it was also a callback to the original film in a way that didn't seem gratuitous. Kind of like, it's just one of the many scams they run on people all the time.

I also really enjoyed the briefing Cruise gives Cavil before HALO jump to Paris. Because it's so awesome and complicated and gadget filled, and Cavil is just like "what the hell?" it's great

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Fallout is opening next week here, I'm fuckin ready for this.

In the meantime, has anyone seen Operation Red Sea? I have a suspicion it's gonna be very PRC propagandish, probably even more so than something like Wolf Warrior, which was fun enough but distracting at times due to all the :china:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The Bourne trilogy is damned great, but I leave it there.
Legacy was this weird kinda-sci-fi side story that went way off course from the generally grounded (if exaggerated) reality of the trilogy, so it's probably a good thing that it was so forgettable.

But Jason Bourne was a big disappointment because it was so obviously a "poo poo, we burned through all the existing plot threads, what are we gonna do now?" case of plot desperation. Bourne's dad founded Treadstone but was murdered by the same previously unmentioned super-assassin who's now after Bourne himself? 'Kay... It suffered from sequel bloat as well; everything had to be the same but bigger, so Marie in a chase became Nicky in a riot, the big car chase lays waste to half of Vegas with massive collateral damage, Bourne falls from even taller buildings, the CIA is even more cartoonishly evil and treacherous, and so on. All I wanted was Matt Damon moving purposefully for two hours, but they made Bourne so broken and empty that it became depressing. Stealing a line from Rifftrax, it turned a beloved movie trilogy into a generally well-regarded quadrilogy. So yeah, I only really think of the first three films as well.

Also holy poo poo, when did Tommy Lee Jones turn into a reanimated corpse?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just saw Fallout this evening and very much enjoyed it. It was a bit slow to start but I think once they get to the HALO jump sequence (I shouldn't need to spoiler that but I'll err on the side of caution) it picks up and keeps a lot of energy.

One thing that struck me immediately was the opening credits: I mentioned months back in this thread when I watched through the previous movies that the first one's opening credits made it seem most like a TV show, but I think the credits for Fallout have equalled it on that front.

In fact, that's something that stood out a bit with the pacing for this one; it feels like a season of a television series compressed into two and a half hours (though I don't mean that in a good), perhaps because the action set pieces ensure there's a new mini-climax every 15 minutes or so.

It's a bit similar to Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark (particularly the latter) and how it evokes old serials with all its cliffhangers and using the line on the map as an act break.

A couple of miscellaneous thoughts:

* I reckon Henry Cavill will be back if there's a next one. :v:

* Is McQuarrie involved in writing the movies at all? I can't remember if he was credited on the screenplay as well - I'd have thought he was since the big feather in his cap is that he wrote The Usual Suspects.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXEsX3PtXos

Going from this to Deadpool 2 was disappointing. Most of the action had lots of cuts, and bad direction. The only real one was the warehouse with the chainsaw etc, and most of the jokes fell flatter than humorous remarks about rape or racism IRL.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I think one of my biggest issues with the Bourne films (which I generally like quite a bit) is that you have these great character actors like Chris Cooper and Brian Cox playing the bad guys, but none of the entries really set up a true arch villain for Bourne to go up against. And I’m not saying I need someone throwing around doomsday weapons - that would go against the types of narratives Bourne goes for - but four movies of Jason Bourne vs Bureaucracy kind of lose steam by the end. Just once I would have liked to see him go against a true, skill-lateral antagonist, someone who meets him at his exact level across the board (and the other program guys don’t really count - they’re always relegated to henchmen fodder).

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Wheat Loaf posted:

I just saw Fallout this evening and very much enjoyed it. It was a bit slow to start but I think once they get to the HALO jump sequence (I shouldn't need to spoiler that but I'll err on the side of caution) it picks up and keeps a lot of energy.

One thing that struck me immediately was the opening credits: I mentioned months back in this thread when I watched through the previous movies that the first one's opening credits made it seem most like a TV show, but I think the credits for Fallout have equalled it on that front.

In fact, that's something that stood out a bit with the pacing for this one; it feels like a season of a television series compressed into two and a half hours (though I don't mean that in a good), perhaps because the action set pieces ensure there's a new mini-climax every 15 minutes or so.

It's a bit similar to Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark (particularly the latter) and how it evokes old serials with all its cliffhangers and using the line on the map as an act break.

A couple of miscellaneous thoughts:

* I reckon Henry Cavill will be back if there's a next one. :v:

* Is McQuarrie involved in writing the movies at all? I can't remember if he was credited on the screenplay as well - I'd have thought he was since the big feather in his cap is that he wrote The Usual Suspects.

Mquarrie did most of the writing, and claims he didnt start until they picked locations, then trusted on inspiration for setpieces

how could henry come back???

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Payndz posted:

But Jason Bourne was a big disappointment because it was so obviously a "poo poo, we burned through all the existing plot threads, what are we gonna do now?" case of plot desperation. Bourne's dad founded Treadstone but was murdered by the same previously unmentioned super-assassin who's now after Bourne himself? 'Kay...
I can't believe that "Jason Bourne vs. the guy who played the final boss in Brotherhood of the Wolf" was not only not good, it was a pale imitation of what had come before in the Bourne series. A badly cut fight in a dark alley? Go gently caress yourself, Paul.

Payndz posted:

Legacy was this weird kinda-sci-fi side story that went way off course from the generally grounded (if exaggerated) reality of the trilogy, so it's probably a good thing that it was so forgettable.
Yeah, Legacy is a solid action thriller whose serious tone is marred by more than a faint whiff of Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 28, 2018

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Fallout was unreal, it absolutely lived up to the hype. The HALO jump and motorcycle chase especially. One question I had though: was the guy in the bathroom John Lark or was it Cavill?

Edit: Also the trailers for Johnny English 2 (woof) and Robin Hood played next to each other and both used the exact same font and floating ember effect for their little "A HERO WILL RISE" title cards or whatever they're called. Kinda funny.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 28, 2018

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I can't believe that "Jason Bourne vs. the guy who played the final boss in Brotherhood of the Wolf" was not only not good, it was a pale imitation of what had come before in the Bourne series. A badly cut fight in a dark alley? Go gently caress yourself, Paul.

The whole Vegas scene was great though and the car chase was big and awesome.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

got any sevens posted:

how could henry come back???

He'll show up next time and reveal that either a) the hook explosion was "Not at a lethal level" or b) his powerful moustache protected him. :v:

Human Tornada posted:

Fallout was unreal, it absolutely lived up to the hype. The HALO jump and motorcycle chase especially. One question I had though: was the guy in the bathroom John Lark or was it Cavill?

I inferred that Cavill was John Lark - he says to Lane that he wrote the manifesto himself - and the guy in the bathroom was a decoy based on his explanation to Angela Bassett trying to frame Ethan as Lark.

Edit: Something I've just remembered from the Fallout cast interview on Graham Norton from a while ago is that Tom Cruise was involved in the Man from UNCLE movie from a couple of years ago at one stage and was going to play Solo with Cavill as Kuryakin.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 28, 2018

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Equalizer 2 thoughts: It would have been cool if the whole movie was just McCall driving his Lyft and solving problems for his passengers. That car fight scene was the highlight of the movie. But during the climax I just found myself wishing I was watching Hurricane Heist, which is definitely not a good sign.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Equalier 2 didn’t feel as intense as the first one. The first hammered on the character and his mental state, his ability to disconnect, observe and deduce, plan a method of attack, what drove him, etc. This one felt more going through the motions and more traditional action fare. The one good moment in this is where we see his thought process as he takes what little he has and reconstructs events in his head and observes to understand what’s really going on. The rest of it was more typical action fare. It wasn’t bad, but I think more time could have been spent in his head and how he operates cause he’s what makes it interesting.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

After watching Fallout, I would by an Uncharted movie with Cruise as Drake.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
So Black '47 looks pretty good, so it does.

It's called a revenge-thriller but the trailer's snowed under with action and violence so I'm assuming this is a fine place to talk about it.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Fart City posted:

The first Jack Reacher felt like how many one liners can we cram into this movie and bought has many as they could off writers. Cheesy fun

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Fallout felt like they were transitioning Hunt into a international figure. Like talking about what the Americans want in third person. Maybe that was how the IMF referred to the CIA?

Like, Hunt is less an American super spy and more an international super hero which is hammered home with what Julia says about him.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Raccooon posted:

Fallout felt like they were transitioning Hunt into a international figure. Like talking about what the Americans want in third person. Maybe that was how the IMF referred to the CIA?

Like, Hunt is less an American super spy and more an international super hero which is hammered home with what Julia says about him.
The thing that gets me about the movie IMF is how many non-Americans are in it. Same with Bourne; for a super-secret CIA murder squad, it's weird how the only American operative we've seen in Treadstone/Blackbriar is Bourne himself.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Payndz posted:

The thing that gets me about the movie IMF is how many non-Americans are in it. Same with Bourne; for a super-secret CIA murder squad, it's weird how the only American operative we've seen in Treadstone/Blackbriar is Bourne himself.

Bourne is more the CIA was brain washing foreign people to do Americas bidding. Really both both franchises paint the CIA in a bad light.

IMF is its own separate thing shown to go out of his way to do the right thing while CIA is more the American murder squad.

One scene that really stood out to me is the lady cop scene. Hunt's gun shots sounded really jarring, I assume intentionally. Like how often does Hunt just straight up murder people if he isn't already in a fight? I can think of the chinese guards on top of the building in MI:3, which even that uses sounds to make it seem like tranq darts or something. Maybe the guy he kills right at the start of MI:3 rescue mission?

The lady cop scene seemed to be there to show how rarely and for only good reasons did he just straight kill people.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Also, did Michelle Mohagan have plastic surgery? Her face looked really weird, but it has been 12 years since MI:3 so it may just be age.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 28, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fallout chat: The only thing I didn’t get was in regard to Walker/Lark. Ok so he’s Lark and he’s after the plutonium. His deal with the broker is to get Lane so he can get the plutonium. He explicitly tells “Lane” this and how Lane is loving this plan up by making it personal/about Ethan. But then he’s caught in this plan but he was ready to be crossed by the CIA so he escapes... with Lane and the plutonium and then he goes through with setting the bombs up. So who was his “confession” for? Was he playing Lane at that point to get the plutonium... which he and Lane used together? Or was this all Lark’s plan and Lane just tags along to screw with Ethan?

I felt like I missed a thread to tie it all together.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Fallout chat: The only thing I didn’t get was in regard to Walker/Lark. Ok so he’s Lark and he’s after the plutonium. His deal with the broker is to get Lane so he can get the plutonium. He explicitly tells “Lane” this and how Lane is loving this plan up by making it personal/about Ethan. But then he’s caught in this plan but he was ready to be crossed by the CIA so he escapes... with Lane and the plutonium and then he goes through with setting the bombs up. So who was his “confession” for? Was he playing Lane at that point to get the plutonium... which he and Lane used together? Or was this all Lark’s plan and Lane just tags along to screw with Ethan?

I felt like I missed a thread to tie it all together.

I read the scene this way. Walker is someone working for Lane. Walker works for him because through Lane he can fulfill the manifesto he wrote, whether Lane cares about the manifesto is unclear. Lane's original plan is to get freed and to have Hunt be framed as Lark. Hunt then is stuck in a cell while his ex-wife, new love interest, and team are killed in the blast at kashmir. The ultimate own for Lane is to beat Hunt plus you can't get revenge because I am dead. This falls through because Walker gets caught in the lie by leaving Benji as the fake Lane. Walker is operating within Lane's plan which pisses him off because they could have just gone ahead and nuked Kashmir to accomplish what he laid out in the manifesto. That is why the grudge match between Lane and Hunt is brought up. Really this scene felt clunky because it just has Walker lay everything out for the viewer. Walker's help in that scene is from the fact that the apostles and therefore Lane have already infiltrated the CIA. The people that helped Walker in that scene were apart of Lane's outfit.

But, it looks like he still can get the revenge on Hunt by continuing the plan. This probably explains why he doesn't tell anyone that Hunt is on the second helicopter because it means Hunt will survive while everyone else dies. Meaning he can still fulfill the original plan.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
RE: Clunkiness in Fallout; I know this is extratextual and doesn't matter to a lot of people but McQuarrie's philosophy regarding exposition is that it always sucks so you might as well cram it all in there and get it over with and move on to the good stuff.

That explains the opening scene and the double Lane scene, which turned out to be supremely satisfying and I didn't pick up on it until the exact same moment Walker did.

Edit: Also, what was the last movie to incorporate The Plot theme into the score? They must have done it before, but it's not ringing a bell.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 29, 2018