Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
has anyone ever tried this escape before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e90lWsVw-is

I have crazy flexible legs and it looks like an option for me, but it also seems like the kind of thing that would completely fall apart in real life

EDIT: I always wondered why guys in full mount never escape by hooking their legs around their opponents sternum and pulling them backwards, and my very first roll I did that and found out its banned :/ Been looking for a crazy legs mount reversal ever since

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

It's a "legit" escape, but will only work in that specific circumstance. In "real life" it's a non starter, because it relies on your opponent wearing a belt that isn't too tight.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have crazy flexible legs and it looks like an option for me, but it also seems like the kind of thing that would completely fall apart in real life

EDIT: I always wondered why guys in full mount never escape by hooking their legs around their opponents sternum and pulling them backwards, and my very first roll I did that and found out its banned :/ Been looking for a crazy legs mount reversal ever since

i do variations of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFnQR3SIYqs&t=37s and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCTsS7s6tBw&t=16s, transitioning into SLX (usually right into a straight ankle) from both. they works well for my body type & flexibility. the first is IBJJF legal if you don't get overzealous in the transition and reap, which is pretty easy. the second is probably not. they're both truly stupid, bullshit moves

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Haha that;s the exact move I did on my first day that they said wasn't allowed. Stupid knee reap ban.

I actually won a bet for one of my instructors versus another one yesterday with my flexibility. They were arguing whether it was possible for someone over 30 to be able to lock in a bow and arrow choke from technical mount before their hip touched the mat.

def gonna try this

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 27, 2018

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

It shouldn't be considered knee reaping unless you're attacking the foot that you are reaping but it's a grey zone for sure.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

heeebrew posted:

It shouldn't be considered knee reaping unless you're attacking the foot that you are reaping but it's a grey zone for sure.

the general rule they gave me was don't cross over their knee with your leg when your hip is on the ground

edit: of course considering my cross legs in guard gently caress up, who knows if I understood it right

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Here’s my two cents. That’s a high mount escape. There’s no reason another white belt or even someone remotely near your skill level should be able to get high mount on you easily even if you’re a white belt and you’re framing, bumping shrimping and all the other good fundamentals like keeping your elbows tight. Spending effort learning how to frame and keep yourself tight enough that an equal opponent simply will not be able to get there is a better use of your time. But yeah, if you want to learn it just because it’s goofy and unexpected knock yourself out but it’s not the best use of your time.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Here’s my two cents. That’s a high mount escape. There’s no reason another white belt or even someone remotely near your skill level should be able to get high mount on you easily even if you’re a white belt and you’re framing, bumping shrimping and all the other good fundamentals like keeping your elbows tight. Spending effort learning how to frame and keep yourself tight enough that an equal opponent simply will not be able to get there is a better use of your time. But yeah, if you want to learn it just because it’s goofy and unexpected knock yourself out but it’s not the best use of your time.

White belts dont exclusively roll with white belts at my place. Got this one purple guy who always wants to roll with me and it's basically getting immediately mounted and choked so it would be nice to have more options

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mel Mudkiper posted:

White belts dont exclusively roll with white belts at my place. Got this one purple guy who always wants to roll with me and it's basically getting immediately mounted and choked so it would be nice to have more options

If you practice that sweep every day it might work at most once on him. Instead work on figuring out why you keep getting mounted.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Wow that's banned? A guy did this to me years ago. Threw his feet up, and used them to push on my chest, forcing me to lean back. I tapped to it-- I couldn't lean very far and I couldn't roll, it was really straining my back.

I threw my legs up to threaten this just the other day. This is banned even if the leg is not targeted?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CommonShore posted:

If you practice that sweep every day it might work at most once on him. Instead work on figuring out why you keep getting mounted.

I figured that part out pretty easy, hes a purple belt who outweighs me by 40lbs lol

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Count Roland posted:

Wow that's banned? A guy did this to me years ago. Threw his feet up, and used them to push on my chest, forcing me to lean back. I tapped to it-- I couldn't lean very far and I couldn't roll, it was really straining my back.

I threw my legs up to threaten this just the other day. This is banned even if the leg is not targeted?

if your foot crosses the center line of their torso you can get called out for a reap. I wouldn't gently caress with it if that is a concern.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

like sure, I guess but there isn't one strict way to do this poo poo. I like to get to SLX and baiting high mount and doing this goofy nonsense has proven to be an effective way to do that. I also use bottom side & north south as an attack platform. im a chaos grappler

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Wangsbig posted:

like sure, I guess but there isn't one strict way to do this poo poo. I like to get to SLX and baiting high mount and doing this goofy nonsense has proven to be an effective way to do that. I also use bottom side & north south as an attack platform. im a chaos grappler

I also sometimes will be rolling with one of the higher belts and they will have me in something and be like "you have no idea what to do now huh?" and end up showing me something. Just trying to have more options so I am less of a fish on the mat.

Like even if going for a belt hook will only work 1 out of 99 times I would rather have it as something to try other than squirm and await death

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 27, 2018

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I also sometimes will be rolling with one of the higher belts and they will have me in something and be like "you have no idea what to do now huh?" and end up showing me something. Just trying to have more options so I am less of a fish on the mat.

Like even if going for a belt hook will only work 1 out of 99 times I would rather have it as something to try other than squirm and await death

There's nothing wrong with have a lot of moves in BJJ. I would sometimes catch people in triangles from beneath side control, and leg lock guys who crossed their legs while in rear mount. They'll work usually just once per person (if at all) and rarely on a higher rank. But hey they're still fun.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Count Roland posted:

There's nothing wrong with have a lot of moves in BJJ. I would sometimes catch people in triangles from beneath side control, and leg lock guys who crossed their legs while in rear mount. They'll work usually just once per person (if at all) and rarely on a higher rank. But hey they're still fun.

I still manage to luck into an omaplata from full guard every few weeks. Just long enough for my partner to forget the last time I got him in an omaplata from full guard.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Starting out, having "moves" is nowhere near as important as being able to recognize what your opponent is trying to do and being able to react automatically with your balance and posture. That only comes with experience. If you're a white belt sparring with a purple belt, your vocabulary of sweeps really doesn't matter, they're going to be able to shut you down no matter what. Better to focus on fundamentals like keeping your elbows in, not posting, bridging to relieve attack pressure, stuff like that. You'll probably learn more by slowing yourself down and noticing what the purple belt is doing to pass than you will by going hard and trying to force a scramble.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 27, 2018

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
What should I do if I've got my partner in ashi garami, fishing for the ankle lock, but he puts the trapped foot flat on the ground? Is the ankle lock still there? Can I salvage the position or did I "gently caress up a long time ago?"

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ihop posted:

What should I do if I've got my partner in ashi garami, fishing for the ankle lock, but he puts the trapped foot flat on the ground? Is the ankle lock still there? Can I salvage the position or did I "gently caress up a long time ago?"

Get off your back and onto your hip.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Like roll up onto the trapped foot/leg? Is this the point to go forehead to the mat?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ihop posted:

Like roll up onto the trapped foot/leg? Is this the point to go forehead to the mat?

The other way. Keep their foot high side, they'll have to rotate away from you and their sole will come off the mat. If you can get to belly down and have the foot secure you can finish from there too.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
So if I've got my opponent's right leg trapped, I should roll on to my right hip? Will that not lead to an IBJJF DQ for rolling towards the free leg?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

ihop posted:

other side so you can actually move. you can go belly down yea but if you're on your side & not your back as mec mentioned it's pretty hard for the dude to stomp his foot down to the mat

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ihop posted:

So if I've got my opponent's right leg trapped, I should roll on to my right hip? Will that not lead to an IBJJF DQ for rolling towards the free leg?

Yeah and you have to be reaping in the first place to make it work but IBJJF rules are stupid so who cares

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 27, 2018

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Reap Knees for Satan

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Uh did the goon who designed this

https://wyrdapparel.com/collections/all

also do this?

https://www.teepublic.com/phone-case/2472350-reap-knees-for-satan-design-art

Or is someone getting ripped off?

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

focus on the choke part first, you're never gonna escape until you can buy yourself time with your defense

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Nah that’s some ukranian scammer. I’m flattered, honestly. I doubt he got many sales, his design is just copy/pasted from google images and it hasn’t got any of the details.

I just started a new job and my income has almost doubled, so I’m going to be pumping a bunch of money into Wyrd over the next few months. I have ground karate shirts being produced at the moment and I’ll do the satan rashguards next.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Nah that’s some ukranian scammer. I’m flattered, honestly. I doubt he got many sales, his design is just copy/pasted from google images and it hasn’t got any of the details.

I just started a new job and my income has almost doubled, so I’m going to be pumping a bunch of money into Wyrd over the next few months. I have ground karate shirts being produced at the moment and I’ll do the satan rashguards next.

rad

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

But ground karate rash guards :smith:

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

butros posted:

But ground karate rash guards :smith:

Before the end of the year, definitely.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Before the end of the year, definitely.

Fuckin A

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I have ground karate shirts being produced at the moment

YES.

Yuns, I’m going send my white belt brother who trains at Renzo’s one of those rash guards just so he scares the other white belts. And maybe to get Rafael to yell are him or w/e

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Since we're making requests: tank tops please.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Hell yes, I want more South American Ground Karate apparel.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Aw man I had one of those days where you get so blown up you stumble out of the gym like a newborn giraffe. I had trouble drinking from a water bottle because my exhaustion shakes were so bad I couldn't get the cap off.

Thanks for the tips about what to focus on with mount. I ended up picking up a few technical pointers on how to prevent and defend the position.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Got my blue belt Friday night, feels like such a tiny step.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

starkebn posted:

Got my blue belt Friday night, feels like such a tiny step.

Obligatory "pics of the belt wrapped around your head like a mummy or it didn't happen"

Congrats!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

butros posted:

Obligatory "pics of the belt wrapped around your head like a mummy or it didn't happen"

Congrats!

I was going to do a bit of a "my jiu jitsu journey" post, but thought it wouldn't actually be interesting.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Congrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

rad