Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

ToxicFrog posted:

Which definitely ruffles more feathers than just going "yeah, there's no gay characters, didn't think of it at the time :shrug:"

lol just lol if you think this is even a little bit true

also there's definitely gay subtext between dumbledore and his friend wumblekind or whatever. the evil wizard. and a guy named anthony goldstein is very definitely jewish without authorial intervention. it does not need to be spelled out or made central to their characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Is there any good free software for reading ePubs on PC?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

The Grey posted:

What are people's opinions about reading books of a series in order?

I've acquired numerous books over the years that I later realized were part of a series, and not the first book in the series either. My original plan was to get the other books in the series and read them in order, but I'm starting to realize this is making my "to read" list impossibly long. Do you guys always read books in order, or do you sometimes jump right into sequels? I realize it may depend on the type of series... how would you determine if you need to read it in order or not?

I can’t do it, I can’t read books out of order and I will wait and read a different book if I don’t have the next one yet.

I will hold a grudge for the rest of my days because when I was a teenager my dad gave me the Campion book the tiger in the smoke, because it was his favourite book, only to discover as an adult that the absolute fucker had spoilerd the 13 books that came before it in the series.

It only takes a little thing, two people referring to a dead friend, or a wife character that wasn’t there before, and that’s it, you’re buggered.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

chernobyl kinsman posted:

lol just lol if you think this is even a little bit true

also there's definitely gay subtext between dumbledore and his friend wumblekind or whatever. the evil wizard. and a guy named anthony goldstein is very definitely jewish without authorial intervention. it does not need to be spelled out or made central to their characters

Aren't all the goblins basically Jewish as well?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Goodkind is no worse than other genre authors.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

sunken fleet posted:

Calibre is more a full-power ebook organization/conversion program and e-reader manager, but it comes with an epub reader built in, as well as the ability to convert to other formats.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

ToxicFrog posted:

Calibre is more a full-power ebook organization/conversion program and e-reader manager, but it comes with an epub reader built in, as well as the ability to convert to other formats.

I tried that out, it works pretty well, thanks. It's really not very user friendly though, feels like there's a million features which I don't understand and the actual reading window is really tiny for some reason. Still at least I have something to read these epubs with now, that's a win in my book.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

sunken fleet posted:

There's a few addons that let you just read them in your web browser like this for example https://www.epubread.com/en/

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Postmodern thread is set to be archived so posting this here:

I’ve finally picked up White Noise and it’s excellent but the consumerism stuff is so adorably of its time and seems very old hat now

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I've been reading a collection of horror short stories.

Now that I got that out of the way I just wanted to add that this evening I listened to a "This American Life" podcast called "show me the way" and one of the acts was about a 15-year-old kid who ran away to Piers Anthony's house hoping to live with him and his family. It was a strange piece of journalism.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
So you're reading horror short stories and listening to horror podcasts.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
So is July's BotM thread being posted in August?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Franchescanado posted:

So is July's BotM thread being posted in August?

No, I've just had a lot of poo poo going on and haven't gotten the thread up yet -- my bad. It's gonna be Warlock by Oakley Hall. thread will go up later tonight.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Half Price Books coupon weeks should be illegal

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
It just occured to me that if you read a choose your own adventure book cover to cover it would basically be a post-modernist masterpiece

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It just occured to me that if you read a choose your own adventure book cover to cover it would basically be a post-modernist masterpiece

The Magic of the Unicorn, maybe. I'm not sure about all of them though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
it can also be argued Julio Cortazar's hopscotch is the world's greatest choose your own adventure book

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

if you would like to continue to suffer ennui in Paris, turn to pg 240

if you would like to suffer ennui in Buenos Aires, turn to page 320

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

sunken fleet posted:

You can read Epubs with Internet Explorer now. Assuming you're using Windows it's prbably the easiest option, if you don't care for any library or bookmarking/notes features.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

How do you think Stephen King will be regarded in 100 years? Say what you will about him but he's usually entertaining, he's rarely schlocky in a Dan Brown type of way, he's probably sold more books than any author ever (except God, I guess). I feel like there are a lot of similarities to Dickens, who pet my understanding was regarded in much the same way during his life but whose reputation has grown over time.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

regulargonzalez posted:

How do you think Stephen King will be regarded in 100 years? Say what you will about him but he's usually entertaining, he's rarely schlocky in a Dan Brown type of way, he's probably sold more books than any author ever (except God, I guess). I feel like there are a lot of similarities to Dickens, who pet my understanding was regarded in much the same way during his life but whose reputation has grown over time.

People will consider him the Great American Author and everyone except a few mels will be satisfied with that

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
What are some good options for soothing books about nothing? I really enjoy the parts at the beginning of murder mysteries when they aren’t murdering yet and just spend ten pages on how they run a hotel. I could use some books that do that for the whole run.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Rand Brittain posted:

What are some good options for soothing books about nothing? I really enjoy the parts at the beginning of murder mysteries when they aren’t murdering yet and just spend ten pages on how they run a hotel. I could use some books that do that for the whole run.

I feel like John Updike's Rabbit series might fit. They're not-quite stream-of-consciousness novels that are about a mundane guy's life. They're probably the first books that really turned me on to how the beauty of a book could be in the writing itself and not necessarily the plot. The first in the series is Rabbit, Run and the plot could be described as basically Al Bundy's life with all the jokes stripped out.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

The Guns of August is 1.99 on Kindle today. Go get it, it's pretty good

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

I responded in the recommendation thread

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 30, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rand Brittain posted:

my man have you tried manga

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Rand Brittain posted:

This might apply to some of Chekhov's short stories. Try The Beauties, for instance.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
a supercut of the chapters in the Redwall books that are just about eating

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Does anybody else feel rudderless after finishing a good book? I go through phases where I'll mainline 7 or 8 books in a few weeks, and then I'm stuck wheeling around, reading 50 pages of this or that, with nothing really grabbing me. Then I get discouraged and don't pick up another book for a month or two.

This is a pattern I've experienced since college, and I'm trying to become a more consistent but less manic reader. Maybe I should get some short story collections or novellas to bridge the gap more easily. I tried the Dresden books because there's a zillion of them, but I got bored after 3 or 4.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Read more short stories and poetry.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
And this is going to sound mean, but read less lovely books. Read something difficult or experimental or out of your comfort zone.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lester Shy posted:

Does anybody else feel rudderless after finishing a good book? I go through phases where I'll mainline 7 or 8 books in a few weeks, and then I'm stuck wheeling around, reading 50 pages of this or that, with nothing really grabbing me. Then I get discouraged

What are the last three to five books you read that you liked

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
KSR's Aurora, David Mitchell's Slade House and The Bone Clocks, and Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun. I also read LOTR for the first time, and it was great, but I want to take a break from fantasy epics for a while.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lester Shy posted:

KSR's Aurora, David Mitchell's Slade House and The Bone Clocks, and Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun. I also read LOTR for the first time, and it was great, but I want to take a break from fantasy epics for a while.

Ok, my first suggestion is to branch out a bit. I'd suggest trying the Aubrey / Maturin books (historical fiction and a nice long series to hold interest, decently challenging, high quality prose).

Your root issue though is systemic, you need a system for repeatedly finding books that will pique your interest. Fortunately there's an answer for that too: keep reading this forum!

The suggestion for short stories is good too. If you don't mind sci fi, try The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Vol. 1, edited Robert Silverberg. Alternatively, a collection of Sherlock Holmes stories is always a solid pick if you haven't read them yet.

End of the day don't feel guilty if you don't feel like reading. Reading should be fun. If it's not fun, no harm in doing something else then coming back to it.

Past that check out the Book of Month thread for a lot of suggestions. This month we're doing a collection of animal vet stories!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 1, 2018

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Lester Shy posted:

read chekhov

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Thirding short stories. I have a stack of collections I've bought used over the years next to my bed so I can just pick one and leaf through it till something catches my interest.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Your root issue though is systemic, you need a system for repeatedly finding books that will pique your interest. Fortunately there's an answer for that too: keep reading this forum!

Seconding this - I keep the TBB Book rec thread bookmarked, and keep an eye on what people recommend to others. Sometimes they're duds, sometimes I wind up reading something really outrageously cool like the Ghost Map. And you can always go "hey thread I'm looking for books about [x]" and you'll get suggestions!

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I want to read something by Kafka. I've never read him before but I don't mind philosophical books where not a lot happens. Where should I start?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Grevling posted:

I want to read something by Kafka. I've never read him before but I don't mind philosophical books where not a lot happens. Where should I start?

A collection of his short stories. The complete short story collection is worth every penny and easy to find. (Edit) Like this one.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
a lot (all?) of his work is available online, as well, so you could read some of the major shorts like A Hunger Artist to see if you've a taste for it