Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

That makes me wonder, will the League have a counterpart for each of Deku's classmates? Deku's counterpart is obviously Shigaraki, Todoroki has Dabi, Uraraka's will probably be Toga, maybe Kirishima's is Rappa if he joins the League, Tokoyami probably has a score to settle with Compress, and that's all I have.
Incredibly rude, Rappa isn't interested in villainy he is only interested in a good fight. And while Overhaul was insanely overpowered, I think Rappa would honestly flatten the entirely of the league one on one. As a group, maybe they could take him though, but they can't kill him and bring him back like beakface could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

just throwing High-End in an open assault at UA would undermine a lot of what Shigaraki's doing, it'd get stomped by the huge pile of heroes who are on ultra-high-alert now that the dorm system is in place and restore a lot of confidence in the system

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

Kurogiri once he busts out of jail will of course be the League's answer to Aizawa as the put-upon dad corralling super-powered toddlers.

I forget which chapter had it, but this theme has already been hit upon in an omake with Kurogiri taking the League to a dessert island where he tries to get the League to go through team bonding exercises.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Incredibly rude, Rappa isn't interested in villainy he is only interested in a good fight. And while Overhaul was insanely overpowered, I think Rappa would honestly flatten the entirely of the league one on one. As a group, maybe they could take him though, but they can't kill him and bring him back like beakface could.

shigaraki is a hard counter to pretty much every melee combatant in the story because he moves like greased lightning and ignores all forms of defense

he's also ridiculously good at tanking damage for someone who looks like he subsists on nothing but mineral water and spite

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
My personal guess for Spinner's power is that he actually *can* learn skills from video games. So his prep for snagging Overhaul was straight-up jamming a bunch of GTA, which he unfortunately kind of sucks at. It's also why he used a ridiculous megasword, and was surprisingly really good at throwing a knife.

He's a great background character, you can really tell exactly what kind of loser he is.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hawks' quirk is pretty loving ridiculous. Basically telekinesis of a ton of small-but-strong objects + flight + sensory abilities from the feathers. Like, his ability is arguably the strongest we've seen when it comes to general hero activities. His main weakness is likely big bruiser type opponents that are too big/strong for his feathers to affect, but other than that he's pretty absurd.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Lord of Hats posted:

My personal guess for Spinner's power is that he actually *can* learn skills from video games. So his prep for snagging Overhaul was straight-up jamming a bunch of GTA, which he unfortunately kind of sucks at. It's also why he used a ridiculous megasword, and was surprisingly really good at throwing a knife.

He's a great background character, you can really tell exactly what kind of loser he is.

I like this idea a lot.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Rhonne posted:

Shigaraki and Uraraka should invest in those gloves that only cover some of your fingers so they don't have to worry about accidentally using their powers.

She already wears mitts to sleep so she doesn't levitate her bed

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shigaraki needs individual finger sleeves so that he can't accidentally disintegrate the gloves, and then other things. Or something like two sets of half gloves that each cover different sets of fingers or something.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/keiidakamya/status/1023715607102017536

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Were these pictures drawn before or after the new chapter I wonder? I saw another cute picture with four Todorokis playing games but I didn't check the date there either so I'm not sure if they were drawn assuming 4th Brother Dabi or after the confirmed fourth brother in the new chapter.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Shigaraki needs individual finger sleeves so that he can't accidentally disintegrate the gloves, and then other things. Or something like two sets of half gloves that each cover different sets of fingers or something.

If you want to minmax the gloves you need to be able to dust them at a moment's notice because it's faster than taking them off.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Akett posted:

If you want to minmax the gloves you need to be able to dust them at a moment's notice because it's faster than taking them off.

Fingerless gloves save for the thumb, if it's go time he just does the Italian hand thing and vaporizes them.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh, this was specifically in the context of sleeping and avoiding accidents there. When he's awake, handling things the way he does is fine, if inconvenient, though gloves could make his life a lot easier; it's just that, whereas Uraraka can get away with wearing oven mitts to bed because making them weightless doesn't matter and it stops her from levitating her mattress or something, Shigaraki would disintegrate something like that instantly, and similarly anything he could accidentally destroy in his sleep by clenching his fists or something (like a single set of partial gloves) would defeat the purpose of wearing them to bed at all, i.e. Making it impossible to accidentally destroy poo poo.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Roland Jones posted:

Oh, this was specifically in the context of sleeping and avoiding accidents there. When he's awake, handling things the way he does is fine, if inconvenient, though gloves could make his life a lot easier; it's just that, whereas Uraraka can get away with wearing oven mitts to bed because making them weightless doesn't matter and it stops her from levitating her mattress or something, Shigaraki would disintegrate something like that instantly, and similarly anything he could accidentally destroy in his sleep by clenching his fists or something (like a single set of partial gloves) would defeat the purpose of wearing them to bed at all, i.e. Making it impossible to accidentally destroy poo poo.

One could create a set of gloves that had a rigid "bubble" of sorts of empty space around each fingertip, sort of like a solid version of the Pussycats' gloves. That way, you've never make contact between anything and the fingertips.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

poo poo like this is exactly why there would be so many villains in this world. Imagine having to live with that kind of inconvenience your entire life, constantly having to mind what you do even when you're asleep or you might accidentally loving disintegrate yourself. It'd drive you nuts.

Also I wonder if, assuming it is his natural quirk (which we can't assume), Nana's quirk was related to it at all. We know that she had one and family members have similar quirks. It'd be a toned down version like just making things softer or something.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 30, 2018

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nephthys posted:

poo poo like this is exactly why there would be so many villains in this world. Imagine having to live with that kind of inconvenience your entire life, constantly having to mind what you do even when you're asleep or you might accidentally loving disintegrate yourself. It'd drive you nuts.

Also I wonder if, assuming it is his natural quirk (which we can't assume), Nana's quirk was related to it at all. We know that she had one and family members have similar quirks.

wasn't the implication that Shigaraki accidentally killed his family with his quirk before All For One picked him up?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

thetoughestbean posted:

wasn't the implication that Shigaraki accidentally killed his family with his quirk before All For One picked him up?

Given scenes and what he said. Shigaraki may have accidentally killed his father.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

thetoughestbean posted:

It's not very clear if Shigaraki did it, or if All For One did it... Or of course, the disturbing possibility that All For One gave a child Shigaraki disintegration so he could kill his own family, all so All For One could swoop in and make him an apprentice at the peak of his despair.

EDIT: To be clear, Shigaraki's quirk is not his natural birth quirk, it's a quirk AFO secretly put into him, after all, if Shigaraki's parent's don't know he has a quirk that disintegrates what he touches, and if Shigaraki doesn't know touching his parents will disintegrate them.

Seems right up AFO's alley

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Nephthys posted:

Also I wonder if, assuming it is his natural quirk (which we can't assume), Nana's quirk was related to it at all. We know that she had one and family members have similar quirks. It'd be a toned down version like just making things softer or something.

Also possible that his dad had something like eye lasers(which would be a good power for Nana to have to make her more Supermany now that I think about it), and his mom's quirk did something with 5-finger contact, and they combined into disintegration hands.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Nephthys posted:

I really doubt it cause as you can see just from the brainstorming in this thread there would be a thriving industry of quirk lifestyle products to mitigate the downsides. Touch-based quirks must be common enough that you'd probably have the same product line of gloves for people with x fingers touch to activate, palm activated, etc. You'd have stuff like flame-retardant bedding, reinforced doorknobs (thanks Power Girl) and so forth. Hell, Cyclops lenses are probably an extra cost option for any pair of glasses in MHA.

People are pretty adaptive, especially when there's money to be made

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am sure that there are design companies that are tasked with coming up with new ways to allow normal people to deal with difficult quirks.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Even if not, precedent for separated gloves is well and abundant:

Billiards gloves are, by and large, three-fingered gloves that omit the last two fingers. Some of them have the fingertips on them cut off, some of them do not, for these purposes, obviously, we are referring to the ones that do not have the fingertips cut off. They're meant to keep your hands from getting damp and slowing the cue sliding between your fingers.

Tablet artists' gloves are the exact opposite of these. They cover the last two fingers, and have the first three cut off. They're meant to do the exact same thing as the billiards gloves, but between the side of your hand that rests on the tablet, and the face of the tablet itself.

Put them together, and you would never be able to activate your five-finger quirk, you'd at most only ever have three fingers touching one glove.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 30, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Even if not, precedent for separated gloves is well and abundant:

Billiards gloves are, by and large, three-fingered gloves that omit the last two fingers. Some of them have the fingertips on them cut off, some of them do not, for these purposes, obviously, we are referring to the ones that do not have the fingertips cut off. They're meant to keep your hands from getting damp and slowing the cue sliding between your fingers.

Tablet artists' gloves are the exact opposite of these. They cover the last two fingers, and have the first three cut off. They're meant to do the exact same thing as the billiards gloves, but between the side of your hand that rests on the tablet, and the face of the tablet itself.

Put them together, and you would never be able to activate your five-finger quirk, you'd at most only ever have three fingers touching one glove.
The main issue with gloves protecting from unintentional quirk activation is if you're a hero it's now harder to use your quirk. That's why they learn proper hand hold techniques and use gloves and such only while they sleep.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Make 'em thin cotton so you can rip 'em off in a jiffy. Advertise that they're biodegradable too, while you're at it. And hey, since they're meant to be discarded in an emergency, that means you've got a captive supply of customers!

Capitalism, that's my quirk. =P

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Captain Capitalism, with his fearsom power to attack your bank account directly, is yet another hero on the 'quirks that can crash the economy if left momentarily unsupervised' watchlist.

...What would communism as a quirk do? Take everyone's quirk in a certain radius, steal it, and then redistribute it fractionally to everyone who got yoink'd so everyone gets a (uselessly small) bit of a quirk? So toggling it on in Class 1-A would make everyone 1/20th invisible, 1/20th frog, 1/20th electrical, and so on?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

We have a new song a mix of You Say Run and Bakusatsuou

Katsuki and Izuku
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDGg10ZMdE0

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

with the way shigaraki's quirk works, I think it'd activate and destroy the glove if he ever made a fist because all of his fingers would be touching it

unless he wore a second one on top of the first anyway

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

This is my favorite fandom meme for todoroki. A human griddle and freezer all in one.

There was another one similar to this post but it was all the class 1-a kids betting on if todorki fcould fry an egg on his leg in class with the caption “ I just want them to act like dumbass kids sometimes” and I agree.

Hopefully the Omake series gives that kind of light hearted “they’re literally teenagers so this should be expected” hijinks.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Crain posted:

Hopefully the Omake series gives that kind of light hearted “they’re literally teenagers so this should be expected” hijinks.

There are some light novel spin-offs that are coming to the US that are basically "day-to-day lives of Class 1-A". I think the first one has the parents coming to observe class

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Todoroki is a good character and I like when he’s a dumbass.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder if just putting some tape around his fingertip would be enough to stop Shigaraki's power?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Todoroki could have easily been a boring "too cool" pretty boy character and it's great that he has actual personality.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Radish posted:

Todoroki could have easily been a boring "too cool" pretty boy character and it's great that he has actual personality.

Thankfully, he's only half-cool :v:

Horikoshi is too good of a writer to make a major character a one-note boring poo poo. It's great.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

sluuuuuuuuuuuuurp

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Crasical posted:

Captain Capitalism, with his fearsom power to attack your bank account directly, is yet another hero on the 'quirks that can crash the economy if left momentarily unsupervised' watchlist.

...What would communism as a quirk do? Take everyone's quirk in a certain radius, steal it, and then redistribute it fractionally to everyone who got yoink'd so everyone gets a (uselessly small) bit of a quirk? So toggling it on in Class 1-A would make everyone 1/20th invisible, 1/20th frog, 1/20th electrical, and so on?

literally all for one vs one for all my man.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I've finally caught up with the whole dang series and I got to experience this fantastic latest chapter:

Conot posted:

sluuuuuuuuuuuuurp

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Radish posted:

I think this is what was sort of important about his match with Midoriya. He basically was, and probably would've continued to be, the too cool pretty boy because everything he was doing was to spite his dad. Now that he's working for himself, and not really holding himself to any standards but his own, he's growing as a person.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Crasical posted:

That's not what communism is. Personal property was still a thing in the ussr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

[source]