Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

This movie's already good but that poster is kickin' rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Everything Is Terrible commissioned a Ghanan poster of Jerry Maguire to celebrate their massive VHS collection.

https://twitter.com/E_I_T/status/1022542787193892865

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I read an article recently that said most of the Ghanan artists who used to do film posters for their living are now mostly doing that kind of commission work for irony-hipsters, for whatever movies they're told, and are supposed to make them as wacky as possible. They're probably making decent money now, but I find something sad about it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's a bit of an undercurrent of "Oh those crazy stupid blacks don't know what movies actually is!" that makes me a bit uncomfortable.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

It also has the Internet problem of going from a small interesting thing that came about organically to being one more #content factory.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
I can see that in more modern posters, with VERY recongisable actors painted in the Ghanaian style.

Not many of which can hold a candle to things like this, which were obviously done with nothing more than the title and a vague description to go on:

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
That’s just a copy of the original Deathstalker poster (which also had nothing to do with the content of the movie).

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Pascallion posted:

That’s just a copy of the original Deathstalker poster (which also had nothing to do with the content of the movie).

i like that this is the opposite of what Full Moon does which is seemingly to make a movie based on the interpretation of the cover art

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
A selection of international posters.

THE LAST DRGAON/THE JUNKMAN

THE BEYOND/HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP

THE DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS/STARCRASH

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I've always been fond of the japanese Pacific Rim poster

Because it is by Yoji Shinkawa(Designer of Metal Gear Solid and Zone of the Enders) which was very fitting.

Also, the Rampage poster that was linked some time ago, which is aping the classic Godzilla movies

https://twitter.com/Kouji_Tajima/status/978408342854033408

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Samuringa posted:

I've always been fond of the japanese Pacific Rim poster

Because it is by Yoji Shinkawa(Designer of Metal Gear Solid and Zone of the Enders) which was very fitting.

Also, the Rampage poster that was linked some time ago, which is aping the classic Godzilla movies

https://twitter.com/Kouji_Tajima/status/978408342854033408

It's great, just wish the composition didn't look like the ape had a giant lizard head coming out his crouch.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I have that Pacific Rim poster on my wall, it rules.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I have that Pacific Rim poster on my wall, it rules.

How close is it to the ceiling?

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I need to up my movie poster game. I only have a Bloodborne poster and Fallout 4 poster. Someone help me out and point out some really good, affordable horror posters. Just show me your favorites.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Mister Chief posted:

How close is it to the ceiling?

Like loss.jpg and Landerig chaotic neutral, I will never not laugh at this joke

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dillbag posted:

Like loss.jpg and Landerig chaotic neutral, I will never not laugh at this joke

God I don’t even remember who it was or what posters he had hung but I still clearly remember how close they were to the ceiling and I laugh every time.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

God I don’t even remember who it was or what posters he had hung but I still clearly remember how close they were to the ceiling and I laugh every time.

Wanna see that pic

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That's a magnificent combination of spelling error and art. The monster isn't evil - it just wanted to sing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Wanna see that pic

Joker something iirc

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
The posters are at a fine height.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It was me. To be fair, that apartment had very unusually low ceilings. It's much better at my current place.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vince MechMahon posted:

It was me. To be fair, that apartment had very unusually low ceilings. It's much better at my current place.

How do you hang posters so the top is flush with the ceiling?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also my poster is along the wall of the staircase leading up to my second floor apartment, so there's probably more ceiling than floor.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Waffleman_ posted:

Also my poster is along the wall of the staircase leading up to my second floor apartment, so there's probably more ceiling than floor.

Shameful

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

How do you hang posters so the top is flush with the ceiling?

I wanted them all at the same height and if they weren't that high there would have been ones that were literally hidden behind the head board of my bed. It was a bad move in retrospect, and I should have just had different, smaller posters in that room.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vince MechMahon posted:

I wanted them all at the same height and if they weren't that high there would have been ones that were literally hidden behind the head board of my bed. It was a bad move in retrospect, and I should have just had different, smaller posters in that room.

no, how. How do you do it. If it's the picture I'm thinking of, there was no gap between the top of the frame and the ceiling, how did you do that?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Guy Goodbody posted:

no, how. How do you do it. If it's the picture I'm thinking of, there was no gap between the top of the frame and the ceiling, how did you do that?

The wire they hang from can be lifted above the hook, you don't need to lift the frame itself.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Don't feel bad man, I think about it every time I hang a frame and smile.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Lizard Combatant posted:

The wire they hang from can be lifted above the hook, you don't need to lift the frame itself.

Or you just use these:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 31, 2018

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Or you just use these:

But then how do you achieve a flush hang with the ceiling, smart guy?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Wanna see that pic

Guy Goodbody posted:

TheJoker138 posted:

3M sticky things

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Still lollin' but props to Vince MechMahon for owning it

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lizard Combatant posted:

no, that doesn't make sense. You would either need to raise the frame up to get the wire over the hook, so there would be a gap between the top of the frame and the ceiling, or you need to reach behind the frame to situate the wire over the hook which would leave slack in the wire so when you let go the frame will drop and there would be a gap!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

oh yeah, that makes sense.

But you shouldn't use those, the packaging lies, they'll still gently caress up your walls.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

oh yeah, that makes sense.

But you shouldn't use those, the packaging lies, they'll still gently caress up your walls.

I've never had them damage my walls. Most of them just peeled right off, while a few just needed a quick rinse where they were.

And I laugh thinking about it now too. The reply to the original post with the Being John Malkovich joke still cracks me up.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Lizard Combatant posted:

But then how do you achieve a flush hang with the ceiling, smart guy?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Guy Goodbody posted:

no, that doesn't make sense. You would either need to raise the frame up to get the wire over the hook, so there would be a gap between the top of the frame and the ceiling, or you need to reach behind the frame to situate the wire over the hook which would leave slack in the wire so when you let go the frame will drop and there would be a gap!

You brace the frame up against the ceiling and just force that wire over the nail. There's always a little leeway, it's only wood and wire. A flush hang is a tight hang.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Cage posted:

The posters are at a fine height.

Now that the original post has been linked I see you defended it then too.

Show us your walls, bro.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I won't be satisfied unless we see a load baring wall made entirely out of framed movie posters.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Vincent posted:

I won't be satisfied unless we see a load baring wall made entirely out of framed movie posters.

That’s just a freshman dorm room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lizard Combatant posted:

You brace the frame up against the ceiling and just force that wire over the nail. There's always a little leeway, it's only wood and wire. A flush hang is a tight hang.

I'd be worried I would break something trying to do that.

Frankly, i don't think it's a good idea.