Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

I haven't bought any yet because money is incredibly tight, but this thread recommends the Badger Minitaire Stynylrez primers, as a 1 for 1 replacement for the Vallejo primers in your airbrush

I bought a 3-pack of Stynylrez off Amazon and every one of them was a congealed mass of garbage. No amount of shaking, stirring, agitating, or blasphemy would get the materials to suspend in the medium. So, what came out of the bottle was liquid and chunks. I emailed Badger customer support a few times and never heard a thing from them. So, gently caress Badger and gently caress Stynylrez. gently caress even typing s-t-y-n-y-l-r-e-z.

I've adopted using Mr Surfacer 1500 thinned w/Mr Color Leveling Thinner. Goes on smooth as silk and is tough as nails. I'm fortunate to have a decent ventilation setup though, as the fumes are pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

EdsTeioh posted:

I really need to get my hands on some of that. Does it need to be thinned?

It's definitely thick, but it's intended to be shot at 30psi through at least a 0.4 needle.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's definitely thick, but it's intended to be shot at 30psi through at least a 0.4 needle.

Pretty sure I run a .5 in my Patriot, so I'll have to give this a shot.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Yeah no thinning in my experience, just 30-40 psi through a .5 needle. The black is the nicest to go on, followed by the grey. I’ve had a bit of trouble with the white but I always suck at airbrushing light colours.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Stynilrez is poo poo. I bought a set of three bottles, out of the three only gray will go on okay one time out of three, the white and black are unusable. It claims to be self leveling, but even after looking okay on a perfectly flat surface I will come back to see it dry in weird bubbles and divots. In the meantime, Vallejo of any colour goes on fine for me.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Complete opposite experience for me. Vallejo always ended up grainy but even if I went over the top with black Stynylrez it dried perfectly smooth. Stronger too imo, much harder to scratch off than Vallejo.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

yeah badger has been fantastic for me

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Apparently the early stocks of stynylrez suffered from a freezing issue that rendered them unusable because some idiot left them in a non-climate controlled warehouse during a bad winter. I have 4 bottles of the stuff - Black, Grey, Red-Brown (really orange) and Olive Green (really like an IJA interior green) Of the 4, only the grey color gives me consistent issues- it doesn't adhere well and chips really easily. The black is nearly as good as lacquer primers aside from a slightly longer drying time. Other colors are harder to work with. Also gently caress that name.

It's consistently better and stronger than Vallejo primer, and probably the best non-lacquer primer i've ever used, but the consistency is still an issue. If you can shoot lacquer primers like Tamiya or Mr. Color Surfacer, do that instead.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

I have Stynylrez grey and black and spray them with a .3mm. Haven't really had any issues with them, but I prefer to use Mr Surfacer.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Mr Surfacer it is then. Do I keep using a Flow Improver and Retarder or do I switch to their thinner?

Also, do they work okay for figurines too?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

How the christ do you even pronounce Stynylrez anyway?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Furism posted:

Mr Surfacer it is then. Do I keep using a Flow Improver and Retarder or do I switch to their thinner?

get the mr self levelling thinner. I thin it at 1:1

Mr Surfacer is a lacquer so Vallejo stuff isn't gonna work.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Furism posted:

Yeah, they should work fine. You shouldn't use Mr Surfacer unless you're prepared to spray lacquers, which means having a spray booth in a room with good ventilation, along with a respirator with organic vapor cartridges.

Mr Primer Surfacer 1000 or Mr Surfacer 1000 are great general purpose primers. Primer Surfacer dries a bit harder though. There are other grades of Surfacer, but they have more specific purposes. Surfacer 500 is more like a dissolved putty. Surfacer 1500 gives a much smoother surface but doesn't cover scratches and imperfections as well as 1000. There is also a Mr Base White 1000, but avoid using it as a primer.

Alternatively, I think Surfacer 1000 is available in a spray can if you'd rather use lacquers outdoors.

EdsTeioh posted:

How the christ do you even pronounce Stynylrez anyway?

Think vinyl but with an St- instead of the V-, and rez as in resin.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Symetrique posted:

Think vinyl but with an St- instead of the V-, and rez as in resin.

STY-nul-rez? No matter where you stress the syllable it sounds silly.

EDIT: F all this pronunciation business; my bad for the derail. Let's talk about models. There's nothing on my bench that excites me currently. I've got 2 WWI planes that I know nothing about in 1/32, a Tamiya F-14 in 1/32, a Hasegawa Ki-62 in 1/32, an Ma.K Falke and...I think that's about it. I'm wanting to do a diorama, which will be my first one and kinda leaning towards a Vietnam or North Africa thing. Anyone had anything cool come across any cool kits lately?

EdsTeioh fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 31, 2018

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
You could do a dio, but if the bench is getting you down, leave out the complicated vehicles. Make it about the characters. If you're willing to scratch a lot of stuff, you could have any sort of "slice of life" scene. GI's relaxing in front of a cafe, while some children play soccer in the street. Locals at prayer in a secluded garden. Viet-Cong being led away in shackles as locals watch. Delivery driver with a hand-truck loaded down with crates of Pepsi delivering to an FOB.

Nothing wrong with recreating actual scenes either. Get on GIS and find everyday life photos from that era, and recreate one that catches your eye.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You could do a dio, but if the bench is getting you down, leave out the complicated vehicles. Make it about the characters. If you're willing to scratch a lot of stuff, you could have any sort of "slice of life" scene. GI's relaxing in front of a cafe, while some children play soccer in the street. Locals at prayer in a secluded garden. Viet-Cong being led away in shackles as locals watch. Delivery driver with a hand-truck loaded down with crates of Pepsi delivering to an FOB.

Nothing wrong with recreating actual scenes either. Get on GIS and find everyday life photos from that era, and recreate one that catches your eye.

drat, those are all top notch ideas! What I wanted to do, mainly to get practice and experience with foliage, is to do a trail with a hill in the back with some trees, then bushes in the forground in front of the trail. On the trail itself, I was planning on an M113 with 3 or 5 (odd numbers; gotta stick with Shep's plans) GIs looking at a map or something like that. Maybe a VC sniper in the tree or bush or something.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I recently finished the last coursework and practicum for my bachelor's degree in social work. I've put a bit of time into the Bluenose to celebrate. I've started putting some paint onto the model; now seemed to be as good a time as any given that it will soon be time to start fixing various fittings to the deck and adding the rails. To finish the deck, I gave it two coats of Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil. I'm pretty sure it's some sort of linseed oil product; I normally use it for treating rifle stocks. Anyways, it did wonders to bring out the details of the wood and made me seriously question whether or not I wanted to paint this model or simply go for an Admiralty style finish (meaning, oiled or varnished wood). I opted for paint, mostly because I really like the colours on Bluenose.

I love how this thing looks fast just sitting there.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I found the issue with my cheap airbrush. The problem was that the ... (not sure about the technical term) tiny bit that the needle goes through, the one screwed on the airbrush, with an o-ring for sealing? Well that bit was not tight enough. I very very carefully tightened it more (super carefully because tightening that bit too strongly is how I broke my Sparmax) and now paint flows so much better (obviously).

I sprayed some Tamiya paint for a test run after that, and you guys were correct in that alcohol-based acrylics work so much better than water-based for airbrushing. The cover is fantastic and they don't dry nearly as fast. Vallejo has such a wider range than Tamiya so I'll keep use that brand anyway, but for all the basic colors I'll stick to Tamiya from now on I think.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Furism posted:

I found the issue with my cheap airbrush. The problem was that the ... (not sure about the technical term) tiny bit that the needle goes through, the one screwed on the airbrush, with an o-ring for sealing? Well that bit was not tight enough. I very very carefully tightened it more (super carefully because tightening that bit too strongly is how I broke my Sparmax) and now paint flows so much better (obviously).

I sprayed some Tamiya paint for a test run after that, and you guys were correct in that alcohol-based acrylics work so much better than water-based for airbrushing. The cover is fantastic and they don't dry nearly as fast. Vallejo has such a wider range than Tamiya so I'll keep use that brand anyway, but for all the basic colors I'll stick to Tamiya from now on I think.

The nozzle! Protip, you can always add a bit of beeswax or chapstick to the threads on the nozzle or the o-ring if you're having trouble getting a good seal. You should never use anything but your fingers to tighten it. The little wrench that comes with your airbrush should only be used to loosen the nozzle.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Fearless posted:

I love how this thing looks fast just sitting there.

Wow, no kidding. That looks like a great project!

Remind me, have you seen/been on the Bluenose II ever? And to what extent are you using reference photos vs plans vs kit direction?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Now I want pringles.

Also, that's a real nice boat.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Apollodorus posted:

Wow, no kidding. That looks like a great project!

Remind me, have you seen/been on the Bluenose II ever? And to what extent are you using reference photos vs plans vs kit direction?

I've both seen and been on the Bluenose II when I was in elementary school in Nova Scotia in the early 90s. There are some differences between the original and the replica; I am given to understand that the main cabin is one of the most visible ones. I'm building her off of the plans, mainly, and have been referring to old news reels and other archival images for cues on details and colour. Bluenose herself was worked hard for her service life and so various details shifted quite a bit as time wore on.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Scharnhorst issue 55

We're closing up the bottom of the hull apart from two tiny gaps, which will be closed next time.

Also there's some first work on Amatis Orient Express Sleeper Carriage in the background as a bonus.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

At IPMS National Convention and there are already 92 ship/submarine entries on the tables. So many airplanes and armor. I'll bring my camera on Saturday and take some pictures once all the entries have arrived.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

At the end of day 1, with another full day before registration for contest entries is complete, there are over 100 ship/submarine models on the tables.

That does not include any ships/subs entered in other classes like dioramas or triathlon (3 models all from different classes) or this insanity - guy built every single Essex class carrier ever given a name, including all the ones that were laid down and never completed or even the ones that never got a keel laid - if they had a name assigned, they are in this collection (apologies for terrible cell-phone picture, I didn't take my camera today):

1/350 scale I think.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Do me a favor and stop by the Eduard booth and demand that they reissue the 1/48 SPAD XIII Early.

Thanks in advance,

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
drat, that must have been tedious. I wonder if he got the shade of gray precisely right on each one, too.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ensign Expendable posted:

drat, that must have been tedious. I wonder if he got the shade of gray precisely right on each one, too.

It wouldn't shock me.. there are some crazy people into modeling. :v:

Here is an interesting collection. Every single model the guy has made for the last 46 years, the oldest model in the collection was started when he was 5, and somehow even starting at that age, every single one was done in 1/72 scale. Say hello to over 700 1/72 scale models all together from the same builder:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Holy poo poo the Schwerer Gustav was immense. I've seen Panthers and Tigers in real life and they're pretty damned impressive, but those railway guns are unreal. Thank you for sharing those photos.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Molentik posted:

Vallejo's primer is easily their worst product.

I've not had a problem with it yet on my cheap airbrush. I always add some of their thinner though.

The Mecha line black primer is goddamn amazing. For an acrylic it is super durable and can double as a solid matt black.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The Locator posted:

It wouldn't shock me.. there are some crazy people into modeling. :v:

Here is an interesting collection. Every single model the guy has made for the last 46 years, the oldest model in the collection was started when he was 5, and somehow even starting at that age, every single one was done in 1/72 scale. Say hello to over 700 1/72 scale models all together from the same builder:

He must have not had a younger brother. Mine kept damaging whatever I built by playing with them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Locator posted:

1/350 scale I think.

Nah, a 1/350 Essex is 75cm long, those ought to be 1/700. Cool collections though, both the carriers and lifetime armour man.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Puddin posted:

I've not had a problem with it yet on my cheap airbrush. I always add some of their thinner though.

The Mecha line black primer is goddamn amazing. For an acrylic it is super durable and can double as a solid matt black.

Ive used their PU primers in the past and while they spray on beautifully, it has no grip and it just peels off. Thats why I switched to Mr Surfacer cans.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

That attention to detail :v:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Fearless posted:

Holy poo poo the Schwerer Gustav was immense. I've seen Panthers and Tigers in real life and they're pretty damned impressive, but those railway guns are unreal. Thank you for sharing those photos.

I saw a Karl Great in Kubinka, it's so huge that they had to build the museum around it. It dwarfs even the Maus next to it. And the Gustav is even bigger!

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Darth Brooks posted:

He must have not had a younger brother. Mine kept damaging whatever I built by playing with them.

This but a younger sister. I built one of those old Lindberg blockade runners and within a few days of getting it fully rigged she thought it would be a cool ship to go float at the beach when I went to summer camp for the week. I didn't build another kit till I moved out on my own I was so upset about it

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SocketWrench posted:

This but a younger sister. I built one of those old Lindberg blockade runners and within a few days of getting it fully rigged she thought it would be a cool ship to go float at the beach when I went to summer camp for the week. I didn't build another kit till I moved out on my own I was so upset about it

I don't understand why parents let kids break their older siblings' poo poo. Like, kids are gonna be kids, but surely they wouldn't have let her tear up your homework or smash your computer.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Did your parents watch you 24/7? Little kids are sneaky, love new toys and that freshly painted model airplane looks a lot like a toy. I have a two year old and he stares and points to the plastic kits in the display case. Before he's four I'm going to have to hide them.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Darth Brooks posted:

Did your parents watch you 24/7? Little kids are sneaky, love new toys and that freshly painted model airplane looks a lot like a toy. I have a two year old and he stares and points to the plastic kits in the display case. Before he's four I'm going to have to hide them.
Even then that might not help. My grandparents used to be utterly incapable of not going into presses to root out my warhams for younger cousins to smash into pieces. It was only when I started demanding they pay for replacements and my parents said "actually yeah, they're REALLY expensive" that they stopped.