Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

starkebn posted:

Got my blue belt Friday night, feels like such a tiny step.

Gratz!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

starkebn posted:

Got my blue belt Friday night, feels like such a tiny step.

Congrats!!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Congratulations!

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Congratulations, time to start focusing on heel hooks and berimbolos.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

starkebn posted:

I was going to do a bit of a "my jiu jitsu journey" post, but thought it wouldn't actually be interesting.
Congrats!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
thanks everyone, went to two open mats on Saturday. There is so much Jiu Jitsu in my city (Brisbane, AUS)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Congrats!

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Do the journey post! Contrats

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I guess I will make a post soon then.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Congrats mate

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Ugh, I got a cold from rolling on Saturday.

What's the common etiquette for how long to quarantine yourself after you get sick? I want to roll as soon as I feel better but I am not sure when I am "safe" again and don't want to spread it further.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ugh, I got a cold from rolling on Saturday.

What's the common etiquette for how long to quarantine yourself after you get sick? I want to roll as soon as I feel better but I am not sure when I am "safe" again and don't want to spread it further.

Generally once you are symptom free you aren't contagious anymore. Dont be that guy who comes in while still sneezing saying 'well I'm probably good now'.

You're gonna be doing this for years if you take care of yourself, taking an extra 3 days off now to avoid loving over your training partners won't hurt you.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

L0cke17 posted:

Generally once you are symptom free you aren't contagious anymore. Dont be that guy who comes in while still sneezing saying 'well I'm probably good now'.

Ok that's about what I was thinking. Probably wont be able to do it till about Thursday

quote:

You're gonna be doing this for years if you take care of yourself, taking an extra 3 days off now to avoid loving over your training partners won't hurt you.

Yeah, I am just trying to hold myself to 3x a week so I can work through the growing pains. I am gonna hold off till I am completely safe, but I also want to make sure I am not using it as an excuse.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ok that's about what I was thinking. Probably wont be able to do it till about Thursday

Yeah, I am just trying to hold myself to 3x a week so I can work through the growing pains. I am gonna hold off till I am completely safe, but I also want to make sure I am not using it as an excuse.

Don't be like me and go back too early. go when you feel good and ready to roll. The better you treat your body and manage it correctly, the better it's going to treat you in the long term. If you're going at too big a pace, you're going to be breaking yourself more and more after a few short years.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

Do the journey post!

Probably like a lot of people my age, almost 40, my interest in BJJ started when MMA was first becoming more popular with the UFC and PRIDE. I preferred PRIDE due to the fighters involved, and my favourite match, for the spectacle of a BJJ practitioner taking out a bigger opponent, would have to be Antônio Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogueira vs Bob Sapp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29NtJXKfg9o

I watched a lot of the "Gracie Challenge" videos from the 90s where a karate or kung fu black belt would get taken down, flail on the ground for 30 seconds and then get arm barred or choked, and when the Genki Sudo Westside Tournament video surfaced, I was pretty hyped to look for BJJ in my city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45-tkN4bFYc

Anyway, after a bit of web searching I found a small class running out of an aerobics room at a fitness gym run by a purple belt helped by a blue belt. In my second week they had a seminar by John Will, one of the "Dirty Dozen", the first 12 bjj black belts outside of Brazil, and I think one of the 2-3 black belts in Australia at the time. Unfortunately the purple belt instructor left town after a few months, but the blue belt opened up his own gym pretty soon after.

To shorten a boring story, due to poorly managed clinical depression, having a kid, moving an extra 30 mins away from the gym etc. I only made it to class 3-4 times a month, and barely got my first stripe after doing two 10-week fundamentals courses, and then just stopped going.

Like a lot of people, I always thought "maybe one day I will go back to BJJ" and I used to tell my kids one day maybe they should give it a try. 10 or so years later, I got 2 of my sons to give Judo classes a go for 12 months, and then decided to join up myself, but after only a month or so my preexisting sciatica problem put me on my back for a week straight and that was the end of that. The kids weren't so keen on Judo so they stopped that too.

Anyway, about a year ago, on his own initiative my oldest son looked up bjj classes near us and came to me saying he'd found a gym close by (https://www.onepbjj.com) and he'd like to give it a go. Turns out they had just opened up and we were there on the first day.

Boy, did I fall back into it hard. After 10+ years of absolutely no physical activity, in the first few weeks I was going 5 times a week, sometimes 2 times a day, and pretty soon my sciatica just locked down on my back harder than ever before and I couldn't bare to stand up. It took 5 weeks of physiotherapy 3 times a week before I could walk without a cane. Luckily my son kept to it so I was still going to the gym 2-3 times a week and watching him, and as soon as I was better I was back on the mats. I paced myself more reasonably though.

My professor gave me back my first stripe after a few weeks, the second one came about 2 months later, which I was okay with. Then when he gave me a third stripe about 2 months after that I was feeling a bit of imposter syndrome, but kept plugging away. I started to feel comfortable with it after 3 months and then got a 4th stripe, and was really thinking blue belt would probably be at least another 6 months away.

I had pretty effortlessly dropped about 15kg in 6 months and could easily do 3 classes a week and an hour of open mats on the weekend, and started trying to come to as many classes as my body could handle. After getting my 4th stripe I was probably doing 5-7 classes plus open mats every week.

So, after 11 months here I am in the best physical condition I've ever been in with no desire to slow down. I don't really care what colour belt I'm wearing, but if my professor says I deserve it I'm happy to have it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A pretty inspiring tale I have to say. Great job dude.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Good poo poo :unsmith:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Congrats again starkebn and thanks for sharing the story. It's awesome to see someone return to BJJ after a hiatus.

For an unrelated aside, my teammate and UFC pro, Jared Gordon posted some video of a street fight he got into after some gang members spit on and assaulted some friends from the gym. Also in the video backing up Jared is another one of my friends from Renzos, Jeff. Jared in dark sneakers and Jeff in white sneakers. I've got no idea who they are talking to in the beginning of the video.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bl3tA3ijRcB/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Fortunately or unfortunately, we have got to be one of the most experienced gyms at applying stuff on the streets simply because we're in NYC.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 31, 2018

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Nice job dude

starkebn
May 18, 2004

spb posted:

Nice job dude

butros posted:

Good poo poo :unsmith:

Defenestrategy posted:

A pretty inspiring tale I have to say. Great job dude.

Yuns posted:

Congrats again starkebn and thanks for sharing the story. It's awesome to see someone return to BJJ after a hiatus.

Thanks again.

Yuns posted:

For an unrelated aside, my teammate and UFC pro, Jared Gordon posted some video of a street fight he got into after some street thugs spit on and assaulted some friends from the gym. Also in the video backing up Jared is another one of my friends from Renzos, Jeff. Jared in dark sneakers and Jeff in white sneakers. I've got no idea who they are talking to in the beginning of the video.

Fortunately or unfortunately, we have got to be one of the most experienced gyms at applying stuff on the streets simply because we're in NYC.

filthy bastards were looking for a fight, guess they picked the wrong target this time.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

So many people I know take breaks and tell themselves (and others) they'll come back and never do. Good on you for following through and congrats on the promotion.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yuns posted:

For an unrelated aside, my teammate and UFC pro, Jared Gordon posted some video of a street fight he got into after some gang members spit on and assaulted some friends from the gym. Also in the video backing up Jared is another one of my friends from Renzos, Jeff. Jared in dark sneakers and Jeff in white sneakers. I've got no idea who they are talking to in the beginning of the video.

no but you see bjj is a sport and isn't any good for real street fighting

I also want to believe Jeff let that one dude up because he knew how rad it would be to hiptoss a dude onto a pile of broken glass.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Rolling on broken glass, that is some Kickboxer poo poo.

Also congrats on Blue Belt.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Congrats on the Blue Belt! I have found its the belt of experimentation and starting to define who you are in jiu jitsu :)

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Who taught Genki Sudo all that cool poo poo? He looks way ahead of his time

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I love how calm and workmanlike those guys are in that fight. They’re both like “Oh, okay, I guess we’re in a fight now? Alright. Guess I’ll get top position.”

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

willie_dee posted:

I think it's because Genki Sudo is arguably a time traveler

starkebn
May 18, 2004

willie_dee posted:

that was an eye opening display when it happened

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Congrats on the Blue Belt! I have found its the belt of experimentation and starting to define who you are in jiu jitsu :)
lol

How I used to think BJJ belts worked:

White Belt - Beginner.
Blue Belt - Has leamed and can execute the fundamentals.
Purple Belt - Competent in all positions.
Brown Belt - Refining your game.
Black Belt - Expert.

How BJJ belts actually work:

White Belt - You suck.
Blue Belt - You suck.
Purple Belt - You suck.
Brown Belt - You suck.
Black Belt - You suck but you know exactly how much you suck.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Yuns posted:

lol

White Belt - Beginner.
Black Belt - Expert.

White Belt - You suck.
Blue Belt - You suck.
Purple Belt - You suck.
Brown Belt - You suck.

I'm cynical enough to be on board with this

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Yuns posted:

lol

White Belt - Beginner.
Black Belt - Expert.

White Belt - You suck.
Blue Belt - You suck.
Purple Belt - You suck.
Brown Belt - You suck.

As a one year bluebelt I endorse this post. I think you missed a stage were the BJJ'er actively gets worse / goes backward (me IRL right now)!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

spandexcajun posted:

As a one year bluebelt I endorse this post. I think you missed a stage were the BJJ'er actively gets worse / goes backward (me IRL right now)!

There's a scientific explanation for that

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I've been back to training, and have been doing ok with no gi. Tonight was my first time in 5+ years training in a gi and good lord, my body was a playground for others. I can't say it felt good to be back to it, but I believe gi is important to train so I'll keep doing it along with the no-gi.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

spandexcajun posted:

actively gets worse

Along these lines.... tonight I let my ego get the best of me for the first time in a while. Rolling with someone who is quite a bit better then me and always has been. I passed his guard, got him in side control and was trying to pull out part of his gi to loop around his neck. Out of nowhere (to me) he esikials me,closed fist style from bottom side control. Like a dumb rear end I fought it for to long, could have been 5 seconds to long or 30 seconds, IDK. Point is, my first thought was "not tonight mother fucker!" when it should have been "Oh, he got me."

Larynx crusher, not blood choke. Now it hurts every time I swallow and it's all my fault. I love you BJJ :kiss:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

How do you guys decide what to get better at?

Do you choose individual techniques and practice those? Or maybe a position, and doing various techniques from there. Or maybe some looser philosophy, like maintaining top control or attacking leg locks, and drilling based off that. When do you add a new technique to your arsenal, instead of practicing existing ones? How much is this based on what you see in rolling, and from the techniques shown in regular classes?

I'm asking because I've recently gotten back into BJJ after a years layoff. My game, such as it was, is largely gone and I'm basically a beginner again. I find myself wondering if I should resurrect my old style or build something new. I'm looking at a lot of techniques on youtube and in books but I can only realistically train a couple at a time. I'm wondering how others make these choices.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I try to close holes that my rolling partners exploit, other wise I just ask my coach what I should work on.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spandexcajun posted:

I think you go through that a few times as a blue belt. Its happening to me again right now too.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Count Roland posted:

Do you choose individual techniques and practice those? Or maybe a position, and doing various techniques from there. Or maybe some looser philosophy, like maintaining top control or attacking leg locks, and drilling based off that. When do you add a new technique to your arsenal, instead of practicing existing ones? How much is this based on what you see in rolling, and from the techniques shown in regular classes?

I'm asking because I've recently gotten back into BJJ after a years layoff. My game, such as it was, is largely gone and I'm basically a beginner again. I find myself wondering if I should resurrect my old style or build something new. I'm looking at a lot of techniques on youtube and in books but I can only realistically train a couple at a time. I'm wondering how others make these choices.

Having only 3 months under my belt, I mainly am learning what my dominant tendencies are and how to work with them. Like, I basically get my rear end kicked and then look at what I do when I get my rear end kicked and figure out what I can do that goes naturally with that. For example, I more comfortable with my legs than anything else, so I look at how to use my legs. I struggle with locking non-collar chokes but can get arm bars and shoulder locks more easily, so I learn how to go for those in different positions.

Basically, I figure if I learn how my body is naturally reacting in a situation, I can build a style from it.

And that is how I have tapped at least five guys with an omaplata because no one expects the omaplata and its a motion that comes really naturally to me

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Defenestrategy posted:

I try to close holes that my rolling partners exploit, other wise I just ask my coach what I should work on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Count Roland posted:

I hosed up my knee really early on so I had to learn how to roll without being able to hip escape with my left leg. That led me to learning half guard, from half guard I learned a ton of sweeps and subs and then single x, ashi, leg locks. Now I'm working my passing and top game.

Essentially find the spots you suck and get better at them. Techniques are cool and all but get comfortable in every position and then work from there.